Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: 1000 Lines 3

MAP15: "The Black Ramparts" by Bauul

UV, pistol start, saves used

Kills: 211/211, Secrets: 1/1

Deaths on map = 3

Total Deaths = 14

Very Romero-ish use of cyberdemon on this map. By Romero-ish, I mean using the cyberdemon as a turret on a map that has tight ledge walking and then allowing the player to telefrag the cyberdemon. Cyberdemon is mostly a nuisance, but it also comes useful at dealing with a group of revenants at one part of the map.

The gameplay is fine. You mostly go through the different room of this tall castle-like structure. The most notable parts of the map are the room above the lift which has the chasm-style ledge walking and the arena area with the horde of zombiemen, imps and an archvile.

The secret exit can reached by pressing the green key switch and going back to the area with the chasm-style ledge walking. 

I decided to use saves here because of the lift portion of the map. Though with that being said, when I decided to use saves, I ended up not dying at all after that (so I technically beat the map without saves :P).

MAP31: "Farfarout" by Xyzzy

UV, pistol start, no saves

Kills: 11/11, Secrets: 1/1

Deaths on map = 0

Total Deaths = 14

The first thing that would surprise most (when they look at the stats) is that this map only has 11 monsters on UV. The map takes place in a small dark (powered out) techbase. The only opposition you face are 9 revenants and 2 archviles and (if pistol starting), you only get the regular shotgun and a berserk at one point to deal with them. There is also a rocket launcher secret (giving you rocket launcher and 10 ammo) which helps dealing with 2 archviles. There is no regular exit and the only exit in the map takes you to map 32. No much else to say about this map.

MAP32: "Vintage Murderfest" by Roofi

I didn't play the map this time, because I have already played it before. Not because the map is bad, but because I wasn't in mood to play this right now (I may play it later). Given that the author is Roofi (who is arguably the No.1 Hell Revealed fan on DW that I know), and the fact that the map name is a more fancy name of "Oldschool Slaughterfest", I expected nothing different than a Hell Revealed type map.

MAP16: "Corruption" by Pegleg

Kills: 168/168, Secrets: 5/5

Deaths on map = 0

Total Deaths = 14

For a small sized map, this map packs quite some action. The map takes us to a small area with 2 corrupted farmhouses and a closed gate that leads us to a hellish building. The very start of the map is perhaps the hardest part with plenty of enemies such as revenants, gargoyles, pinkies and imps. There is also not much health outdoors, so you have to carefully grab ammo and fight your way through the starting enemies with the SSG.

Though once that is done, things get a bit easier. You can start exploring the west farmhouse which will grant you goodies and if you get the secrets as well, you will get the blue armor and assault rifle as well. Once you are done with the west farmhouse, you can also explore the east farmhouse. Just be careful that grabbing the keys would bring cacodemons and gargoyles in the outdoor areas.

The map has FIVE secrets, but all of them are fairly easy to find. My only minor complaint is that the map doesn't have a regular shotgun, which means that I had to rely on pistol to deal with gargoyles until I got the assault rifle.

Once you have opened the exit gates, make sure to pick up the goodies because the final fight will get nasty (unless you cheese it). Once you kill the enemies and get to the arena room, you will notice lots of rockets here and also a demonic circular teleporter thingy. Once you step on it, closets open up on the 3 walls and enemies come pouring in. This fight can be cheesed by making sure that you get our of the arena room before the entrance door is closed. You can easily retreat to the entrance door and then kill enemies from there (shame on me for doing this :D).

Once you get the green key and go to the exit you are teleported again to the central demonic portal and a couple archiviles + a few more enemies arrive in the room for a 2nd fight. However, this time the entrance door is opened and escaping to killing them from the door seems like the intended strategy by the author. Once that is done, you can safely exit the map

MAP16 - Corruption

UV | Continuous | GZDoom

I knew I was in trouble once I saw Pegleg's name. A mapper who's keen to never give you a moment of reprieve, just constant action. Need a rest? Too bad, fuckface, have some more demons! A wild, bustling villa packed to the brim with bastards right from the get-go, the map has you running around from pretty much beginning to end as you clamber for more health and ammo while the entire open area is densely populated with more assholes waiting for you inside the buildings just behind the doors and through multiple monster closets. I honestly held my own reasonably well until the exit fight, which really pissed me off. But funny enough, Peg left enough leeway open for me to realise that you can just bolt the fuck out of there after you've been given the teleport runaround at the exit portal by just legging towards it again. I'm glad I discovered that, or I would've been left with fuck all ammo for MAP17. SHEESH! Yeah, this is a right bastard of a map and I'd expect nothing less from an endorphin junkie like Pegleg. Very vicious little map, indeed.

Edited by Biodegradable

Oh no, yesterday was the first day I couldn't bring myself to play a little. Hopefully I won't be left too far behind.

MAP15: The Black Ramparts. Played on UV, pistol start. All the kills and secret(s). Completion time 13:43.

I liked the idea of ramparts more than the actual execution. At times, the narrow ledges felt a bit annoying, especially with a cyberdemon turret out there. But mostly the things that rubbed me the wrong way were:

1. The trick that makes monster appear all of a sudden. Not teleport in, but merely appear. Not a fan of that mechanic.

2. Maybe I played wrong here, but I disliked the part where you need to lower an elevator, get up and enter the chasm-lite room all the while the cybie is shooting at you. It's a good thing I'm not attempting saveless runs here.

Other than that, I did like the idea and the general layout of the level, and I thoroughly enjoyed the small slaughter arena, where you can take advantage of the cyber turret. Also, the soundtrack was good -- it somehow reminded of Ultima VII. Can't remember if it had soundtrack like that, but it sure could have had!

MAP31: Farfarout. UV, pistol start. All 11 kills and the one secret. Completion time 7:13.

Strange little map. It looks good -- for a techbase map beginning, but I don't know if it really works as a whole level? If there was a gimmick to it, I sure missed it. 9 revenants and 2 archviles? With a shotgun and handful of rockets? I don't know if a disappointment is the operative word here, but I was having small deja vu with regards to Interception II secret map. This one was less frustrating, though.

Also, what was the point of the secret room? A revenant emerged from there, but was there something more to it than it being a small square behind a fake wall?

MAP32: Vintage Murderfest. Saved for a later date.

Only a short commentary: I played some five minutes of the map, with constant loads, on UV, up until I could release the (first batch of?) revenants, but I think it was clear from the get-go that this was going to be too difficult for me, much like Scythe's Fire and Ice (although I suspect Vintage Murderfast isn't quite that hard, but what do I know). I'll try this one on a later date, possibly on a lower difficulty.

MAP16: Corruption. Played on UV, PS. All the kills and secrets. Completion time 15:19.

Fun little map, that I think isn't that hard for forum veterans, but for me, especially the last fight was a bit tight. I panic so easily and when I panic, I facerocket myself. At least on a second try with the final way I found out you could backtrack to the library room where you first entered the arena. I enjoyed this a lot more than the couple of last maps. It's challenging, but I guess it's a bit more open with its tricks and thus I didn't feel scammed with cheap shots.

MAP16: Corruption (100%/98%/100%)

1.       Pain elemental reflects projectiles back at you

2.       Add several fireball traps to the level

3.       Cacodemon projectiles weave back and forth

The monsters in this map have a nasty tendency to teleport suddenly behind your back, a trick that map author frequently abuses here. It is another medieval-themed level, with usual eye-catching props like the livestock that demons obviously keep here to eat (including Daisy!).

What was supposed to be a normal level turned to be quite a challenge with card factor turning in, such as another rocket-propelled revenant. Enemies tend to appear almost out of nowhere but the most annoying thing was me was the invincible mancubus what I had to pass by twice – once to make the purple key accessible, and another time to dash through the purple door. The mega-armor and soul-sphere bonuses were used up so quickly!

Remember MAP20 of Plutonia where you had to fight against teleporting barons? The final arena is built in the same fashion, except you have to fight against a large menagerie of various enemies, circle-strafing like crazy until they kill each other in a massive infighting. The final trap teleports you back in the arena while also sending arch-viles in, but I dodged that trap by retreating back outside instead of stepping towards the exit portal. Are there any other levels using invisible monster teleport lines like that?

1000 lines map16.jpg

MAP 16 - Corruption by Pegleg:

A smaller, easier (mostly!) map that I assume is intended sort as a "break" for players who have gone through the secret maps and I appreciate that. This map is mostly set in a small courtyard between two opposite facing houses, I think it looks pretty great and the small paddocks full of farm animals are just fantastic and really bring the setting to life. The combat in this map is pretty low key with the exception of the final arena.

This map does have a pretty bad habit of spawning black gargoyles behind you all the time seemingly at random, which does keep you on your toes, but it's only like two at a time so they're not particularly threatening even if they get the jump on you. The key ambushes were entertaining and I liked them, in spite of the low difficulty and the monsters spawning did cause me to eat a few face rockets which is always appreciated.

The final arena is a shock compared to the rest of the map, far meaner than the rest of the map. The first wave isn't too bad, but getting the small horde to converge on the centre of the arena so they can be circle-strafed is made much more difficult by a cleverly placed monster teleporter. The final wave of archviles and revenants was quite a surprise, until I realised that the door of the arena opened at the same time, and so they could be taken out very easily. Fun map in any case.

5 hours ago, RHhe82 said:

MAP31: Farfarout.

I'd like to point you to my post here :) also that secret where the revenant came from is where you got the rockets.

Map 32 - Vintage Murderfest by Roofi

That was a blast! Sadly, I didn't have time today to write down all my thoughts and impessions about the map.

I brought pictures instead:

3k-32-F1.png.f6f43a4f45b600902f4875291f20e046.png3k-32-F2.png.08bff4cab335055506fec51ccdef7301.png

Will try to submit some proper text tomorrow.

MAP17 - Ceremony of a Thousand Stars (HNTR, continuous, blind): K 106%, I 90%, S 0%, T 22:16

Spoiler

Very impressive visually with all the vast height variation and very much Plutonia-style not only in combat but also in the way the whole thing is textured - showing that maps without much ornamentation can also be pretty to look at (also i've always liked Plutonia's visual style.)  The combat consists mostly of ambushes along narrow ledges and of hitscanners in the distance, be they Arachnotrons, Chaingunners or zombies.  i fumbled a bit at the beginning, when meeting the two Arachnotrons at the distance - not dying but so dissatisfied with my performance and indecision (it was just after my morning tea...) that i loaded a couple of times.  After that, i didn't die (oh, a couple of times i did fall into the lava, when i didn't realize strafe-run was needed to jump over the gaps in the pathways over the lava, but that was just silly and not worth mentioning) by the enemies until the last ambush, which included two Arch-Viles along with some Revenants.  No complaints, though, it was fun but unexpected - i think i needed to practice twice before getting it right.

With a layout that is this complex it was nevertheless designed to cause no frustration to the player, progress was very intuitive and i found myself always oriented towards the right direxion - a good example being when grabbing the Emerald Key leading to the final ambush, and it was quite clear the correct path to take is to leap to the pathway below directly in front, which then lead to the ambush.

My only complaint about the map came at the end - for the life of me i can't understand why no way back from the exit area was provided, as i'd left all the secrets behind, especially determined to snatch the earlier seen Soulsphere after everything was done.  But no, i even jumped into the pit looking for an elevator or a secret or anything at all to no avail.  i guess the clue was the platforming required to get there, but still, of these things one can never be sure... Be that as it may, i was disappointed by this design choice. 

Regardless, another stellar map.

Top 1000 maps in four sets

Spoiler

Episode 1

MAP11 - in Kasei Valles - 9/10

MAP06 - a Memory from Earth - 9/10

MAP02 - Tharsis Awakens - 9/10

MAP10 - Red Alley - 9/10 

MAP07 - Back Alleys and Interlopers - 9/10

MAP05 - Martian Vista - 8/10

MAP01 - Dust Devils - 7/10

MAP04 - Monuments of Mars - 5/10

MAP03 - Lower City Grime - 5/10

MAP09 - Martian Midnight - 5/10

MAP08 - Concrete Avalanche - 5/10

Episode 2

MAP16 - Corruption - 9.5/10

MAP13 - Viridical Mines - 9.5/10

MAP15 - the Black Ramparts - 9.5/10

MAP14 - Bad Manor - 9/10

MAP17 - Ceremony of a Thousand Stars - 9/10

MAP12 - Forlorn Hope - 9/10

Come Together

MAP14 - Bad Manor - 9/10

MAP10 - Red Alley - 9/10 

MAP31 - Farfarout - 7/10

GZDoom (pre-cell clip fix)/UV/Continuous/Saves

Map 16: Corruption - Pegleg

100% kills and secrets

Time: 13:18

We've got a nice compact level that takes place in a quaint little villa, only housing a few homes with some wildlife sprinkled about. An addition to said wildlife, is a bunch of mean ol' demons. There appears to be a sound-blocking linedef near the start, so you can snipe a lot of them from the start as long as you don't venture too far. Or, you can be like me and charge the first rev you see, alerting everything in the villa, and getting reamed down to 4% health. Oops. How I didn't die, I have no idea. There's a decent amount of stimpacks and health bonuses around, but they're scattered. I'm pretty sure I managed to find a secret earlier than I was supposed to. There was a rev on a pillar, I shot it with the SSG, and some pellets hit the shootable switch behind it, taking me to a secret area on the other side. I don't think I was supposed to get to this until gaining access to the purple key, since that opens a rev closet that can allow access to said pillar and grab the medkit on it. Either way, it's not really much of a sequence break, you just can't exit this building until you open the teleporter leading to the blue (I think, idr) key. Most of the fights here aren't bad, mainly since you can escape out the buildings quickly. Though Pegleg expects this, so he'll teleport a few demons out there to meet you. The biggest fight is the 2 wave ambush at the end. What looks like an end portal totally isn't. Crossing over it just opens 3 side compartments and teleports in a random assortment of nasties. I was very tempted to rocket them, since there was a ton of ammo for it, but it was kinda cramped. I wasn't aware I could go into those compartments at that point as I thought the entrances were just windows really. Thankfully just running around the room caused some infighting, and the SSG helped thin the crowd. After grabbing the green key, I headed for the new portal, hoping it wouldn't exit the level since I could still hear some monsters. Sure enough, I teleported back to the front of the room just before reaching it, and revs, mancubi, and 2 archies appeared. You can finally escape back outside at this point, but I just used one of the 27 BFGs I grabbed from map 32 to end the archies' reign of terror quickly. After everything stopped moving, I could then exit out that portal. Pretty fun level! Really liked the visual design of it, and the MIDI was one of the least Doom-sounding MIDIs I've ever heard (this is a huge positive by the way, it's great).

Was too tired to play at the end of my day yesterday, so will have a lot of catch-up to do today with all the secret maps.

MAP15: "The Black Ramparts" by Bauul

100% kills, 1/1 secrets

Probably the coolest layout we've seen so far, this one has you navigating atop the walls of a very tall castle, with damaging slime awaiting you below if you fall off the edges. Falling is something you will more often than not be in danger of doing, especially because of a nasty cyberdemon that watches over you for much of the map. The architecture on this one looks great and Eris Falling's midi does its job nicely, probably the most fitting midi to the theme of the episode that we've seen yet.

I have to try to not be salty at this map, because it feels tailormade to exploit my weaknesses as a player (all it needed was to be a Tyson map and it'd have pretty much all of it covered). Most of the level is determined to make you feel as awkward as possible, with using the danger of falling and its monster placements to achieve that. The cyberdemon mentioned earlier is the biggest obstacle, as you'll have to rush along the castle walls a few times to avoid getting blasted, and the part where you have to avoid his fire while waiting for a lift is extra dangerous. The gargoyles have their biggest moments so far in this map, their peskiness is off the charts when the layout is working against you like it is here. My favourite moment came near the end, where 99 zombiemen + imps teleport into a small area with an archvile to join them. Not too tough, but a ton of fun.

Definitely not the style of map I excel at, but I like it a lot anyway.

MAP31: "Farfarout" by Xyzzy

100% kills, 0/1 secrets

The first secret map goes for the small gimmick route. It's you, 9 revenants, 2 archviles, and a dark techbase with a somber midi (taken from Dark Souls). The level has you taking on a small switch hunt while the enemies gradually appear throughout the level to try and stop you. It's a neat and simple little level with a nice atmosphere, and the teleport locations being different each time is cool. Definitely on the easier side, but it was a nice little diversion.

MAP32: "Vintage Murderfest" by Roofi

UV, pistol start, saves

100% kills, 2/2 secrets

Well, I've finally done it. For the first time in my Doom-playing career I have triggered the all ghosts effect. Behold some mancubi where they definitely don't belong:

Spoiler

doom20.png.0d1f3ab0322c83fb02af74f3073adad7.png

Anyway, did anyone else find the juxtaposition between the sparse techbase with a somber midi and the heavy midi and hordes of angry demons utterly hilarious or just me? This second secret map is of a type made perfectly obvious by the name. It's a small slaughtery arena of a visual theme fitting the 2nd episode of the wad. The visuals aren't what's important here though, as this one is pure action through and through.

The first fights are intimidating, but relatively easy as far as slaughter goes. Take care of the lower tier enemies below and rhythmically sway to and fro as you shotgun the hell knights above and you shouldn't get hit too much. You can somewhat cheese the revenants before releasing them by shotgunning them while they are trapped behind the gate, but even releasing them and then taking care of them isn't too hard. The real brutality begins when you hit the green key switch, and the small arena overflows with revenants and hellknights, with 2 cybies to join them. This was the hardest part of the level for me, and it kicked my ass quite a few times before I overcame it. The final fight, which unleashes a bunch of archviles, also owned me for a while before I worked out a relatively easy method of getting the cyberdemon to infight the hordes while I camped at one of the side steps that once had a soulsphere at the top, and took care of the other monsters from there. Wasn't too bad once I did that.

Very fun slaughtermap, and expectedly the toughest map up to this point.

MAP33: "Terminal Transit" by Wolf McBeard

100% kills*, 1/1 secrets

A small techbase with a nice looking outdoor area and a stuck pinky near the start. This one feels like it could have been MAP01 in an alternate universe, at least were it not for the gargoyles and the less cyberpunky aesthetic. It's a very easy map with only 44 monsters. There is an asterisk on the kills as for some reason the shotgunners in the blue key room wouldn't lower for me on DSDA-doom so I had to cheat to kill them, although they lowered fine when I tried in GZDoom. Not sure why that is. In any case, there isn't a ton to say about this one. Easy breezy and simple map, wasn't too bad.

MAP16: "Corruption" by Pegleg

100% kills, 4/5 secrets

We finally reach the mainline maps again, and are greeted by a small hamlet of 3 buildings surrounded by cliffs and containing some small trees. This one looks pretty nice, I especially love the little fenced in farm animals behind two of the buildings, and the way the final building contains a bunch of suspiciously demonic imagery in the main room. The midi by Psyrus is total ear candy, a chill little number with some twinkly synths and some groovy bass lines.

This one definitely plays as a bit of a breather after the secret maps. The outdoor area is nice and spacious and makes for great ground to fight the enemies there from, and the teleport ambushes are easy enough to handle. The final fights do get a little dangerous, the first wave requires you to be nimble and find enough room to use the rocket launcher to cull the numbers in the relatively cramped space you're given. The second part of the fight, containing archviles, seems very dangerous at first until you notice that Pegleg does you a solid and opens the entrance doors for you, giving you an escape route and an easy spot to pump rockets into the room from. 

Enjoyable little breather map.

Notes for 33, 16:
- 33 is very... I'm not sure. It feels like a weird amalgamation of aesthetics and kind of just exists. I don't have any real thoughts about it. It's fine, and functional.

- 16 is cute. It's very cute.

- The final fight in 16 could have been a lot more brutal if it was a full lock-in when the archviles teleport in, it took me a couple deaths to realize the doors unlock when they show up, and it was totally fucked playing like that... the former monster closets aren't really safe to duck into unless you've been religiously saving shotgun shells, since 2 archviles will quickly rez things that will walk into one of the teleport lines and end up in front of your rocket. I almost prefer it like this, honestly, as fucked as it is... the door unlocking defuses all of the tension, since you can just walk out and rocket them with no danger. This is my only real critique of the map, I like it otherwise, it just kind of deflates at the very end.

Map 16 - Corruption by Pegleg

Pegleg is one of those Cool KidsTM that always seem to be around in all the big projects (and a few that aren't as it turns out) but isn't necessarily known for their mapping ability. It's quite a tragic reality, really, because they've crafted some of the most subtly compelling maps out there, such as the penultimate map of Deadly Standards 3. While it's hard to say for me if this map really matches up (I banged this out in slightly more than 10 minutes), it's....um, fun? Still, "Pathfinder" might just be Psyrus' second finest track in 1K3, apart from "Intermission" (geez, you could've titled it, you know), a sort of jazz-influenced if strangely non-groovy piece that ditches the pseudo-Eastern stylings of their map 12 track for something that....probably doesn't feel more natural, but I don't really give a shit about that now, on to the map!

So this purports you've entered a farm that might be a sort of transition space between the towers of 15 and 17, but idk, it's quite square, which really helps keep everything together, but who knows if you'd want that? It certainly makes for a hot start, at any rate, and perhaps not the most fun one, though it should be stated that I'm less patient than usual. It's not overwhelming, and indeed largely feels less difficult than the opening maps of the episode at least. Some people above were discussing the teleporting gargoyles behind the player, but since I was alerted prior, that wasn't really an issue. Cute animals by the way, though they're static objects.

Otherwise, it's just the usual key hunt, whilst stumbling upon the usual secrets you'd hope to find. It does seem like the elevated alcove with the potions at the west end of the map is closed off if you don't enter the Revenant-guarded teleporter right away. Otherwise, I concur.

Having heard warnings of the gate to the final compound closing behind you, I took things nice and easy. allowing the Mancubi just inside the Zen-like styled building to kill most of their Imp bodyguard for one. I did have to dispatch a Hell Knight who was just inside the gate.

Then there's the final courtyard. I cheesed the first battle, before you get the green key, but after taking the portal behind it, whiplash ensues! In addition to Hell Knights and Revenants, you're also assaulted by two Arch-viles who managed to fell me once(even though I was literally at 188 percent health, I can kind of suck at hiding from them). After they are all dead, you can finally exit for real. I personally had 14 enemies left alive, which might be because gargoyles and other wander off?

Time to do my ranking of maps I guess

Spoiler

Map 11

Map 07

Map 10

Map 32 (I respect this map more than like, I think, but whatevs, I think Map 20 might provide more strategic options

Map 12

Map 14 (The end may be annoying, but I've grown to appreciate it much more

Map 13

Map 02

Map 16

Map 15

Map 08

Map 09

Map 31

Map 04

Map 03

Map 05

Map 01

Map 33 ( the most insubstantial map thus far but far from bad; combat just felt a little ill-conceived in the northwest corner of the outside area).

Edited by LadyMistDragon

2 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

"Intermission" (geez, you could've titled it, you know)

Still... it's a better name than "test31".

MAP17: Ceremony of a Thousand Stars (100%/97%/100%)

1.       Mancubus may become an immobile, self-ressurecting sentry

2.       Cacodemon projectiles are partially invisible

3.       Cacodemon spawns with a small companion

The next level’s run is no less memorable than the last one. Apparently, the name comes from the star-shaped room, though which you would run through at least three times. Shortly after I started engaging enemies, an invincible flying arachnotron started to harass me most of the time of my walkthrough.

Even with carded monsters, this felt quite hard but still manageable. One notable feature of this map is that there are no escape teleporters in the slime pits! You fall once, you’re dead. And all key pickups involve some spectacular hops marked by candles. The enemies aren’t that numerous, but their ambushes and placements can be quite trickly to deal with. Imagine, when a squad of chaingunners suddenly reveals itself from the wall to the left… Or what a pair of arch-viles suddenly appears right near the green door just after you grabbed the key.

Another challenging feat was finding the secrets, behind one of which Daisy was found. The mega-armor secret was something that I found after an afterthought but the soulsphere secret solution was well hidden, despite being so close nearby. The exit hopping sequence is another reminder not to fall in toxic lava!

1000 lines map17.jpg

MAP17 - Ceremony of a Thousand Stars

UV | Continuous | GZDoom

It's the maestro, AD_79's turn as he shuffles us quickly into a large underground nexus with with nasty cliffs and inescapable pits (as far as I was concerned anyways). Things are a lot less hectic than MAP16 with a more classic feeling of progression as we climb upwards and loop back to the starting area and shift across large cliffsides to progress. It's a bit more sparse in regards to ammo, but there's just enough to work with if you're not wasteful. As his lovely music swoons with encouragement and new monster closets open to impede your progress, you're met with a nasty team-up I feared would happen sooner or later: Pain Elementals and Gargoyles. AD, you rapscallion! It's a much more straightforward map, but brimming with AD's signature charms: Ornate subtle architecture, masterfully-cohesive texturing and varied, spicy combat scenarios. Just gorgeous.

Edited by Biodegradable

MAP17: "Ceremony of a thousand stars" by AD_79

Kills: 133/133, Secrets: 2/2

Deaths on map = 0

Total Deaths = 14

Another map that has Romero-ism in it. This map seems to be very much "The Living End" inspired with having similar-ish idea of going through various passages and ledges above the ground that is filled with toxic liquid. However, unlike The Living End, the passages are much wider, but the punishment of falling into the toxic is much harsher. If you fall down, you cannot get back up and you die in agony.

The name of the map likely comes from the star shaped area we cross at near the start of the map and which we have to jump across 2 more times later in the map to get to different areas. The map doesn't have a lot of monsters, but the monster ambushes are used very effectively designed (the gargoyles + pain elemental make very effective combo). The ammo is very tight at the start, although not to the point where you are forced to punch revenants or hell knights, but still fairly tight as you need to make sure to use your ammo efficiently and do punch pinkies at the very least. 

After going though various ambushes and slightly tricky situations, the map does get somewhat more relaxed in terms of ammo once you get through the ambush behind the purple key door and you can also get the megaarmor secret by using strafe running (SR40 should be enough) from the start of passage that ultimately leads to the green key. The final main fight of the map (that happen once you get the green key and jump down) consist of 2 archviles and a bunch of other different enemies. Thankfully you would have decent amount of rockets/plasma by that point. Once you deal with them, you are pretty much done with the map. Just open the green key door, kill any minor opposition and do some little platforming to get to the exit.

There are 2 very very minor complaints I have with the map. Firstly, the map seems to not have difficulty setting implemented. Second is related to the soulsphere secret. Maybe I blind or something, but I didn't notice any clever button/switch that opens the soulsphere secret and I only discovered it after just pressing the walls near the red torch (in the northmost area where we first get the plasma gun). Anyway, I recommend to open the soulsphere secret after you have killed the enemies in the area as that area has an archvile (an archvile that can easily be blocked from getting out and be berserked to death to save ammo).

Very minor stuff aside, this map is probably one of my 2 favorite maps of this episode (the other being the very next map, Map18).

Edited by ReaperAA

Map16 - Corruption by Pegleg

Feels like a nice breather map after the brutal slaughter of map 32. I liked exploring the little farm area and seeing the cute little piggies. One thing I disliked was how many teleporting enemies there were, but other than that I had a fun time. My favorite area was without a doubt the little arena room at the end. Very creepy decoration and some fun fights in here. The double archville appearance at the end got me good, ended up beating the level with just 18 health.

Map17 - Ceremony of a Thousand Stars by AD_79

Man, I don’t know what I just played but I really liked it. Very strange and abstract level but it was so fun. Loved the gameplay and the progression of this map, the way everything loops around itself was fantastic. When it first started off I thought it was going to be a tyson map but my expectations were toppled quickly. Some really great use of verticality here, I loved having to rely on the pistol for the beginning areas in order to pick off distant enemies. Probably my favorite map of the episode yet, extremely weird and a very unique setting. AD_79’s really showcasing some great mapping chops to go along with his musical ability.

Map 17: Ceremony of a Thousand Stars by AD-79

Ad_79 is rightly known far more for his composing than his mapping abilities (Cydonia excepting), possibly because his approach generally is far more conservative than say, fellow composer/mapper Jimmy, as well as someone else not coming to mind right now (not Stuart, lol, he's another conversation anyway). Still, this stands out quite a bit more than his Ancient Aliens map.

I think much of that may be the midi "Where Time Ceases to Be" is well in the running to be declared AD_79's masterwork. It feels a little bit more reflective and contemplative than "Last Call for All Passengers" but perfectly fits the tone of the abstract castle canyon thingy that demonstrates Brayden's love of Plutonia in more ways than one (I don't understand what those textures are really doing here). Still, this is very close to the top of my favs for "Tudor Times." The beginning area that you'll criss-cross over a couple of times seems like an attempt at making a design statement of course that I believe works.

The pace is decidedly more laid back than in Map 16. Essentially, it's just a collection of some fairly easy combat puzzles, set amidst a layout utilizing some of the strongest verticality seen thus far (other than map 11 naturally). Despite one chaingunner near the purple key just behind a Hell Knight managing to take me apart, I actually emerged largely unscathed for the most part. Revenants will always seem to be firing at you from rather distant ledges, but you get a rocket launcher early enough that it's easy enough to take out the closer ones. For some reason, however, you get an assault rifle fairly late, which led to much popping of Lost Souls which was mostly fine because like Gargoyles, they're never overwhelming, but keeping awareness of them is never a bad thing.

Secrets are always a tricky thing in these sort of Living End maps. I didn't bother with trying to find the ledge above the Supercharge, however, you find a way to reach the Megarmour/cell ledge where also resides a Mancubus shortly after stepping through a teleporter I believe.

Finely, a shout-out for the very last trap near the green key door: two Arch-viles, some chaingunners and something like 4 Revenants to prove this map not as practically toothless as I was led to believe. Killing the first Arch-vile was little trouble, and it seemed like the second Arch-vile also died quickly, however, I ended up running back where I came from to get away from the Revenants, and when I turned back, the Arch-vile was still alive and resurrecting everything between us (which was really just 3 enemies, but I know it would annoy others more). As this point, having expended all of my rockets, I didn't hesitate whatsoever, pulled out the plasma rifle I still had plenty of cells for in part because of all the Hell Knights and Revenants I did a shockingly good job of punching to death, and blasted everything to complete bits, though not after being blasted at least once by the Arch-vile. I'm not sure if the Megaarmour was entirely necessary here, but it probably did eliminate the possibility I could die here.

The music is definitely more in the prog than the death-metal style of some of AD_79's other tunes, but it truly gives this a sense of atmosphere that somesuch like "D_SHAWN" could never manage. I might like the E2 aesthetic, but this has been the only map where I truly feel impressed. Awesome job, my dude!

MAP 17 - Ceremony of a Thousand Stars by AD_79:

Dunno why but the starting room (not the cool underground one) reminds me of the start of a map in the previous 1000 lines project, I might be completely misremembering it, but this room just felt sort of... familiar? Anyway, this map has the fairly novel idea (to me at least) of combining city-like texturing with a Living End layout and looks pretty cool for that - apart from that white and green rock texture in the purple key area which stands out as really ugly, maybe this is just a personal taste thing as I didn't like a liquid texture with a similar colour scheme in Interception 2.

A lot of the enemies in this map are snipers and due to the openness of the layout (if Episode 1 is mazey, then Episode 2 can definitely be stereotyped as very open) they often have a good line of sight on you and by the time they become irritating enough that you want to take them out, they're completely out of autoaim range which is fiendish. I liked the reuse of the initial underground chamber - suppose you didn't want all the work of creating that grand structure going to waste?

The best fight in the map is probably the pain elemantal + cacodemon fight after the purple key door, though most of the ambushes are kept pretty low key, only containing a couple of monsters which can be taken out pretty easily with a couple of rockets. The archvile duo breathed some life into the map and helped it to end on a decent note. Not a bad map at all, just a bit less interesting to me than the rest of the Episode.

On 12/16/2021 at 9:40 PM, Xyzzy01 said:

I'd like to point you to my post here :) also that secret where the revenant came from is where you got the rockets.

I feel so bad and ashamed every time I'm being critical :-D I totally missed that it was in the secret closet where I got rockets. In any case, I still want to point out that the aesthetics looked really great, although I didn't make the Doom 3 connection... But I wish there had been more of it!

But, today's play be here:

MAP17: Ceremony of a thousand stars. Played on UV, pistol-start. 132/133 kills and 1/2 secrets. Comp. time 22:58.

At times this feels a bit more laid back than MAP16, yet on the other hand it can surprise you with pain and punishment -- especially near the end. It's funny, when the map gave a berserk pack as a welcome present, I somehow thought I should play it tyson-style as much as possible. Me being bad at punching (without receiving too much damage myself) anything other than pinkies, it was looking to be a dire time indeed... until I found out that I might as well use regular weapons, there's not going be too much ammo starvation after all.

Another decent level we have here, but I could only find the blue armor secret. I spend considerable time looking for a way to the soulsphere, even though at that point there was only one enemy left, and I just knew (before IDDT'ing) it was going to be behind the secret if I only could open it, and I just kinda knew (before IDCLIP'ing) just what sort of enemy it was.

One thing I didn't like about this one: all the pits were inescapable, as was the exit switch ledge. Or at least I couldn't find anyway of backtracking from there.

Edited by RHhe82

MAP18 - Farewell to the Dark Ages (HNTR, continuous, blind): K 96%, I 61%, S 0%, T 21:16

Spoiler

It's just like Adam says...

Fucking Cyberdemon hanging out in the tiny exit room!  Hahaha!  That sight was one of the funniest things i've ever seen in Doom...  But yes, i guess the map was leading up to something like that as there were enemies left after what i thought was the finale.  i would have been satisfied with a herd of Pinkies in there, though :D  The penultimate fight was a lot of fun, a genuine mini-slaughter -scene with waves of different monsters teleporting in the quite a cramped area.  My first attempt was just botched as i ran around pretty much without head or eyes, second attempt i survived, but did so poorly that i wanted to make a serious attempt at the fight.  i don't think i'll ever be any good at facing such situations blind.  At any rate, my third time was much more measured, and i was finally able to save the Megasphere until after the fight - not even considering the possibility that i might lose a good chunk of it before exiting, ha-ha!

Before these, the map was very engaging and interesting to progress, with lots of interesting and challenging encounters along the narrow pathways and waterways of the gorgeous village, as i went around hunting for the switches to get access to the keys.  My favourite fight was the ambush of a few Cacodemons in the waterway, and was happy to survive it on first try!

ReaperAA mentioned that Ceremony of a Thousand Stars didn't have implemented difficulty levels, so fun to know i beat that map on UV :D  Have to say, the difficulty of this map was on the level that i do wonder if that wasn't the case here, also (i didn't mind any of it - in fact, it's only recent that i've been starting to appreciate actually challenging fights, as long as they're not...the kind that make me feel i'll never get through :D ).  But maybe not, it'll be interesting to see what this is like on HMP.

As a sidenote, it seems to me that playing through Bad Manor on HMP some monsters did not teleport in, like the Arch-Vile i was expecting in the Emerald Key (or was it Sapphire?) room, as he appeared there on HNTR.  Also some others i think saw in Biodegradable's video that weren't there on my run.  i don't think they made a material difference, though.

Oh the actual finale?  i first died, probably of heart attack seeing Cybie there, but on second try i ran as fast as i could, dodging all the enemies around to lure the Cybie away from the exit, and then left the losers behind!  Surprise to see an Invul offered there, though.  In a way, it's a shame i left because i'm sure there would've been supplies i could've still collected, and for sure i then didn't even have a chance to collect the secrets.  i found one secret switch earlier near the piggies, but left it for end of level :P  Oh well.  At any rate, obviously, this was a fantastic level on all accounts, and even the slaughter-scene doesn't detract from it.

And i haven't abandoned my HMP run, at least i want to do Corruption still (little point in doing Ceremony... again if it's the same...) but i've just been too busy the last couple days to play more than the allotted daily map for the club.

Top 1000 maps in four sets

Spoiler

Episode 1

MAP10 - Red Alley - 9/10 

Episode 2

MAP18 - Farewell to the Dark Ages - 9/10

MAP14 - Bad Manor - 9/10

Come Together

MAP18 - Farewell to the Dark Ages - 9/10

MAP14 - Bad Manor - 9/10

MAP10 - Red Alley - 9/10 

MAP31 - Farfarout - 7/10

MAP17: Ceremony Of A Thousand Stars

By AD_79

Kills: 94%
Items: 97%
Secrets: 0%
Time: 8:06

Anno Domini LXXIX (I’m sticking with the Tudor theme) hits the spot with Ceremony Of A Thousand Stars, you’ll get an early Berserk which you’ll wanna use at least a few times, the parade has an Arch-Vile infestation and they can be tricky to deal with if you burned your rockets and plasma, you’ll also want to watch your step as the map is spiked with inescapable pits (I think) and architecturally follows a high rise design that reminds me of MAP15 but visually more of a subterranean adventure, gameplay wise the astral ritual is at its best when Mr. Hart is throwing Arch-Viles at you thanks to strategically placed cover, for a 1000 Lines 3 map, Ceremony is quite big which is a nice change up from the vast majority of what we’ve seen so far, one more solid map from AD_79

Grade: B+

Difficulty: B

Playthrough video

MAP17: "Ceremony of a Thousand Stars" by AD_79

100% kills, 1/2 secrets

A much more abstract slant than anything else seen so far. We do see the thematic textures being represented here, but almost in shreds spread throughout the level. The predominant texture of the map are these white cliffs which have you teetering over green slime below. The cliff texture almost looks too photo-ish to be in Doom, but I digress, the architecture in this map looks fantastic regardless and definitely is a "how is this 1000 lines" moment. The midi, composed by the mapmaker themselves, is soaring and melancholy and works beautifully here.

Combatwise this is somewhat in the vein of the earlier MAP15, where the map often uses the threat of falling to enhance the danger of the combat. It can make some moments that may seem innocuous, like the lift room on your way to the blue key that contains a mancubus on a cliff above, surprisingly awkward to navigate. This is made even more dangerous by the fact the pits in this level are inescapable, which can get pretty frustrating sometimes. Especially so in the fight near the end where the two archviles pop out, very easy to get zapped by one of them and if you do there's a high chance you'll end up in the pit below and take an unfortunate death. The secret I did find I needed to get 100% kills, and I was only able to find it by looking at the level with UDB. I see now that it's the only red torch in the level among a bunch of green torches, but damn that is a tricky find.

Some parts I'm iffy about aside, it's definitely a well made and incredibly nice looking level, and overall I enjoyed it.

Map 17: Ceremony Of A Thousand Stars - AD_79

100% kills and secrets

Time: 15:07

Deaths: 2 (both from inescapable pits)

Unrelated, I did want to say that AD_79's OST for Arrival was my favorite OST of the year, and I'm very happy it got a Dootaward. Speaking of Arrival, this map really feels like a map from it, just with OTEX. Lots of verticality and rocky cliffs really enforces that feeling for me. Hey, I'll take maps in that style any time. I like how multiple key door paths take you back to the first giant room you find, jumping across it to different paths. This is a pretty big map, and one that feels like it pushes that 1K line limit. The fights aren't too bad for the most part, with the only mean one is after grabbing the green key and 2 archies come out of a nearby closet by the green door, and a rev teleports in somewhere nearby too. Though the chaingunner ambush right past the purple door was kinda mean, but I had the RL out already, so... Both my deaths came from secret hunting and falling into pits. The first one was me looking to see if there was a waterfall secret (there wasn't), and the 2nd was me trying to get to the mega armor one. There's a decent amount of platforming in this map, and it's honestly the biggest threat. Also, the soul sphere secret is one that you really have to pay attention to find. You'll also have to remember you can hit "use" on objects too. Very clever. Fun map!

Map 18: A Farewell To The Dark Ages - Antares031

100% kills and secrets

Time: 17:07

Deaths: 1

Whenever I can play a new Antares map, it's a good day. Struggle is a top 10 WAD for me, and I always appreciate when I play a random community project and there's a map by him in it (like the last two 1K lines sets, and NOVA III's awesome map of his). I don't know what it is, but looking at the automap, you can tell this is an Antares map. Idk why, but the layout just felt like the other 1K lines maps he did. It sure didn't look like them since this is some good ol' Tudor scenery. There's a lot of decorations and wildlife abound in this map that I really liked. There's a few torch pits on columns that are multicolored that looked really nice. Look out a window and you can see a bunch of animals feasting on some leftover alcohol bottles. Rob the pigs' troughs of some clips and armor bonuses. There's a lot of cute details! Gameplay-wise, it's pretty solid. Mostly incidental, though the lone arena fight killed me cause I could not dodge rev missiles for the life of me in that room. I was definitely not expecting to open the purple door and see a cyb right behind it, so that was a rude awakening. Thankfully, the revs and cacos that teleport in distracted it for a bit. I didn't find either secret until everything was dead. I found the one toward the north kinda easily, but it would be easy for someone to overlook. I like how the switch is behind a water runoff gate, kinda cool. The other one I have no idea how'd you even see that without IDDTing and knowing the secret was in that area. I kinda figured there had to be one in that area. I didn't notice where the switch to open it was when I IDDT'd it, but man, that one is really awkward to look at. I mean, there's been several of these already in this WAD (looks at a certain map with crushers), but this one is on a weird angle. Also, why is there 4 rocket launchers stacked on top of each other on that one pillar? Weird. Overall though, a fun map, and I think out of Antares' 1K maps, this is probably my fav. Pretty fun, and great looking with lots of charm!

MAP18 - A Farewell to the Dark Ages

UV | Continuous | GZDoom

If this map is any indication of the kind of things I can expect beyond, I'm really glad I chose HMP for this playthrough because STREWTH! This map gave me a right bollocking, mate. The combination of beautiful, lush texture work, delicately arranged tiny structures everywhere and nasty, downright diabolical combat could only be the work of my favourite Doom Duck, Antares. It is as gorgeous as it is deadly with some very prickly fights and traps that had me cursing his name (all in good fun of course) as his use of teleport ambushes always came at the most opportune moment to tear me to shreds before I've even truly grasped what was happening. Revenants and Gargoyles especially get their time to shine in this map with even just one of them managing to always show up at the worst possible second as I'm desperately scrambling about trying to grab more ammo and distance myself from the seemingly-neverending horde of satanic shitheads. Breathtaking and vicious as fuck, this map has left me scarred, traumatised and smiling like an idiot in awe of Antares's profound ability to make dangerously memorable and cathartic art pieces.

Edited by Biodegradable

MAP18: "A Farewell to the Dark Ages" by antares031

Kills: 187/187, Secrets: 2/2

Deaths on map = 1

Total Deaths = 15

The map is very aesthetically pleasing, even compared to most of the maps in 1000 Lines 3. Despite being a "vanilla" map, the great texture usage makes this map very atmospheric, almost to a point where I feel like I could live there :D. The ammo balance is tight, but never to the point where I was starving of ammo. The secrets, both of which contain a soulsphere each, are well hidden but not to the point where I needed to see SLADE.

The gameplay is also really dynamic, especially when pistol starting. I found that the best strategy to deal with all the incidental combat monsters at the start is to run across the map and cause some infighting while also collecting weapons and ammo along the way. Doing this, instead of just staying at the starting area, will make things much easier and will save ammo. There are also a couple of ambushes in the map, both of which only mildly challenging, like the gargoyle ambush after going to the blue key door and the revenant ambush after pressing the switch that lowers green key. 

However, there is one major area battle in the map (for obtaining purple key) that will give even the veteran players a run for their money. The only death came at this area. On my 2nd attempt, I made sure to grab a secret soulsphere and get my health to 200 before entering the arena. Once you press the switch, a group of imps and revenants spawn, then soon afterwards a group of cacodemons and a couple pain elementals arrive, after that some chaingunners near the switch and finally a monster closet contain 2 barons and archive + another turret archvile near the key appear. I don't have a concrete strategy, other than recommending to use weapons right (plasma if you are surrounded and using rockets whenever you get distance/space) and focusing on right enemies for priority. While I died on my first attempt, on my 2nd attempt, I did surprisingly well to a point where I didn't even need to pick up the megasphere.

Once you open the final purple key door, a surprise cyberdemon and some teleporting revenants and cacodemons await you. However, they are easy to deal with if you run back to the arena area and deal with the revenants from there. And if you are lucky, you can get the cyberdemon stuck like I did and safely plasma it to death :D

W7KmEGY.png

Probably my favorite map of episode 2. This map seems really well designed in pretty much every aspect. I can't really think of any fault in this map (other than the opportunity of cheesing the cyberdemon).

Side Note:

I am also playing through the original 1000 Lines 1 CP (and I will also go through 1000 Lines 2 CP to see how they compare against the 3rd project). I am on Map06 of that, and while it isn't on the level of the 1000 Lines 3, I am still really enjoying it. Good Doom content that I had been sleeping on (though that goes for a lot of Doom stuff being released nowadays.)

Edited by ReaperAA

16 - A very nice "breather" with more intense action than you would expect. Loved the final setpiece, but I was disappointed once I realized the door was open or you could just run to the exit haha MIDI was one of my favorites, felt like a Chrono Cross song, and there's a nice Tony Banks-esque solo there too.

17 - Impressive work and a fairly large level for 1000 line D: Really great sense of scale and memmorable landscapes. I like how the map kept getting harder too! Great MIDI that helps giving this an even more epic feeling!

1 hour ago, Biodegradable said:

MAP18 - A Farewell to the Dark Ages

HMP | Continuous | GZDoom

Judging from the amount of monsters and the monster placements in the video playthrough, this was definitely on UV, not HMP. 😅