Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SuperCupcakeTactics

DBP42: Slime on Earth

Congratulations for the release! I wanted to make more than one map, but i didn't have the inspiration to do it at last.

Also, MAP06 is a map by Komori and SuperCupcakeTactics

I'm confused by how the text file says "Advanced engine needed  : limit-removing or MBF21" - does this use any MBF21 features?

1 hour ago, Shepardus said:

does this use any MBF21 features?

A small patch that makes monsters non infighting each other in the Dehacked lump, that's it.

Wooooo! We need more Chex Quest content (despite the fact I've never played any entry)!

Edited by LadyMistDragon

I can honestly say I would never expect one of these DBPs to be a Chex Quest one. That's awesome!

15 hours ago, SuperCupcakeTactics said:

Howdy Chexters! Slime on Earth is a Chex Quest™ episode for Doom 2

This is all fine, of course, but I have a question. What prevented you from making project compatible with standard maps?

11 hours ago, Doomenator said:

This is all fine, of course, but I have a question. What prevented you from making project compatible with standard maps?

If you're referring to it not being vanilla compatible, why should it be?

6 hours ago, Doomenator said:

why not?

Because bringing a map from limit-removing to fully vanilla-compatible involves a lot of work testing each map for visplane overflows and other limits, and compromises to work around those limitations that are only relevant to people playing on the vanilla executable or Chocolate Doom? That time could be better spent making the maps better for people playing in any other source port.

Great, but very challenging map pack. Feels like the natural progression if they ever bothered to make a Chex Quest sequel based on Doom 2 instead.

6 hours ago, Shepardus said:

Because bringing a map from limit-removing to fully vanilla-compatible involves a lot of work testing each map for visplane overflows and other limits, and compromises to work around those limitations that are only relevant to people playing on the vanilla executable or Chocolate Doom? That time could be better spent making the maps better for people playing in any other source port.

Of course, but that's not what I'm talking about. I would like to see DBP initially compatible with standard maps.

I assume that these are primarily maps project for which a thematic mod is being made. But for me, the mod itself is of greater interest.

And in my opinion, compatibility with standard maps gives such projects many advantages.

5 hours ago, Doomenator said:

Of course, but that's not what I'm talking about. I would like to see DBP initially compatible with standard maps.

I assume that these are primarily maps project for which a thematic mod is being made. But for me, the mod itself is of greater interest.

And in my opinion, compatibility with standard maps gives such projects many advantages.

Just to clarify, by "standard maps" you mean "vanilla compatible" right?

6 hours ago, Doomenator said:

Do you mean to release a standalone texture/enemy replacement mod? It would be cool to see more maps made with this and other DBPs' resource packs, but I don't know how well they'd work with existing maps...

Edited by Shepardus

Has anyone else had the exit seemingly softlock on Map 03? There's not exactly an obvious switch in the room that would have said bars open up. I'm playin DSDA Doom, if that helps

Edited by LadyMistDragon

Sweet! I love Classic Chex Quest. Good to see it getting some love again. It is just a shame that it is only seven-map long. :(

Anyway, I am playing this in GZDoom and I noticed that Flemoids still produce red blood decals and the vanilla obituaries are used. Also, there is no text in the score screen, only percentages.

Edited by Rudolph

On 12/6/2021 at 8:25 PM, LadyMistDragon said:

Has anyone else had the exit seemingly softlock on Map 03? There's not exactly an obvious switch in the room that would have said bars open up. I'm playin DSDA Doom, if that helps

I had the same problem running GZDoom 4.6. I had to No Clip out of the room and re-enter before I could get the bars to raise "correctly". I could not find any line defs or triggers on the auto-map to interact with, and checked all walls to no avail.

50 minutes ago, 666shooter said:

I had the same problem running GZDoom 4.6. I had to No Clip out of the room and re-enter before I could get the bars to raise "correctly". I could not find any line defs or triggers on the auto-map to interact with, and checked all walls to no avail.

On 12/7/2021 at 9:25 AM, LadyMistDragon said:

Actually, those slime pillars in the wall are commander keens lol

1 minute ago, Nefelibeta said:

Actually, those slime pillars in the wall are commander keens lol

That was a nice touch. Though if we're talking about the same map, I was thinking of the pit with the central "Cyberdemon" replacement fight.

Just now, 666shooter said:

That was a nice touch. Though if we're talking about the same map, I was thinking of the pit with the central "Cyberdemon" replacement fight.

Yep that's the one I'm talking about. I basically just looked it up in slade3.

Just now, Nefelibeta said:

Yep that's the one I'm talking about. I basically just looked it up in slade3.

Ah! Gotcha. I had not considered that. Might be good to make that clearer somehow?

I passed "DBP42" 2 years ago and consider this Collection of Levels to be one of the Best in "Chex Quest" (My opinion is in Russian). It would be nice if there was a separate Weapon Mod with a Bestiary from here. That would be cool!