Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CBM

Star Trek discussions

On 12/6/2021 at 7:04 AM, CBM said:

so are the Q really ... "god"  in the star trek universe?

Definitely not. They are irritating, self-aggrandizing, utterly self-centred beings. Probably bored shitless too. 'Q' Q's best line 'You hit me! Picard never hit me!' Funny as fuck the first time I saw that one, particularly having seen all the TNG Q episodes that came before.

Interesting and fun fact - John DeLancie also voiced Discord from My Little Pony. And his character is most definitely based on Q.

21 hours ago, wolfmcbeard said:

Enterprise deserved a season five, change my mind.

This: That theme was just WRONG!!

3 hours ago, CBM said:

The Orville shows promise and could perhaps in time continue the legacy atleast in spirit.

The Orville does indeed have that bit of TOS and TNG vibe, been waiting for season 3 . . . 

[edit]

I would like to stirr things up here: over the past years, I've been watching the fan-series "Star Trek: Continues" and though it's rougher around the edges and at certain points amateurish, I definitely like the series for what it offered which was at points far better then any official release. Too bad they were only allowed to make 11 episodes, would've liked to see the 2 that were never made . . .

Edited by Apprentice : added STC

3 hours ago, smeghammer said:

This: That theme was just WRONG!!

Aww c'mon, do you not have faith of the heart man?!

Yeah that was the one thing that was consistently meh, but it was catchy at least.

Would've been nice to see the NX refit that was slated for five though, while I like it's pre refit design as I am an Akira class simp of which the NX closely resembles in a lot of ways, would've been nice to see that pre-constitution look the refit would've given.

I would have loved to see the NX refit. I really love the design. Really, I do like the standard NX design as well, but the refit just gives it that extra something. Regarding the Enterprise final episode... I've only seen it one time, and that was when it was on air, so you're talking 15 some years ago. My opinion on it might change if I watch it today, but from what I remember, the episode itself wasn't really that bad as a stand alone episode. It's just to end the series with that episode was well... it was disappointing to put it mildly. Especially after such a strong season.

7 hours ago, wolfmcbeard said:

Aww c'mon, do you not have faith of the heart man?

I watched TNG first when I was younger and I like the more cinematic opening music. I really like the Lower Decks theme as it's very similar to TNG. 

22 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

And what about Lwaxana Troi? Unpopular opinion (?!) incoming, but i find her the most annoying character in the classic Star Treks.

I don't mind Lwaxana, I find her a pretty funny addition but mainly due to how the crew reacts around her. Picard especially. Shame her last TNG episode was such a heart ache really.  

ENT's music is a bit strange, but I can live with it. DS9's on the other hand, I dislike completely, and the season3/4 upgrade only made it worse.

Well . . . after watching episode 4 of Discovery, I have to say: I'm done with it. This is no longer Star Trek but something that has a Star Trek sticker attached to it. Hell, it could've been Dawson's Creek in Space or even Party of Five in Space or whatever sticker they want to stick it to but it has nothing to do with Star Trek anymore though I suspect that some problems might have arissen if they decided to call it "Bert & Ernie in Space" . . .

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the LHBT community, the first TV-kiss between a white man and a black woman and the first lesbian kiss were in Star Trek but the emphasis on the subject as portrayed and displayed as a separate storyline in Discovery is waaaayyyy too much. No, it's not my series anymore . . .

2 hours ago, Apprentice said:

Well . . . after watching episode 4 of Discovery, I have to say: I'm done with it. This is no longer Star Trek but something that has a Star Trek sticker attached to it. Hell, it could've been Dawson's Creek in Space or even Party of Five in Space or whatever sticker they want to stick it to but it has nothing to do with Star Trek anymore though I suspect that some problems might have arissen if they decided to call it "Bert & Ernie in Space" . . .

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the LHBT community, the first TV-kiss between a white man and a black woman and the first lesbian kiss were in Star Trek but the emphasis on the subject as portrayed and displayed as a separate storyline in Discovery is waaaayyyy too much. No, it's not my series anymore . . .

I totally agree

as long as the charecters and story are written well then they could be sexually attracted to automobile exaust pipes if they wanted to

the issue is when a sexuality becomes the whole charecter in itself and/or the story is nonexisting

Edited by CBM

I sometimes wonder if seven of nine got her name as a kind of hidden joke.

If the creators watched Friends, then "Seven - Seven - Seven..." ... takes on a new meaning, plus Jery Ryan is easy on the eyes afterall.

Spoiler, I'm watching Voyager right now.

ALSO

according to S4:E7

USS Voyager seems to have 257 rooms across all decks, does anyone have a complete list of those rooms?

Edited by CBM

I'm halfway through re watching season 3 of DS9 atm, loving it so much.

Now, 7 of 9.. She certainly heralds the more interesting seasons of Voyager. Amusingly when I watched it the first time with my other half, she rolled her eyes pretty hard when 7 of 9 joined the show, but in the end 7 of 9 was her favourite character so I guess the writers did a good job with her.

Kes, I never really liked, too wishy washy and coupled with the extremely annoying Neelix, does make the earlier seasons abit hard work at times.  

I agree

kes is annoying and her later revenge storyline is weak

I guess the "alien sensornet" they encounter is made by the hirogen

Edited by CBM

2 hours ago, Liberation said:

coupled with the extremely annoying Neelix, does make the earlier seasons abit hard work at times.  

I have hard time loving Voyager. Part of the reason is that I watched right after binging DS9 which I absolutely love, and I was hoping Voyager would be as creative and bold as DS9, but alas, no.

Kes I kinda like, but Neelix is a detriment to the series. Not quite Jar Jar Binks caliber, but up there. However, the final episode when Neelix leaves the show, is good as far as I remember. It doesn’t redeem obnoxious writing, but I was willing to like Neelix after that one. (Can’t remember what happened in it).

Much like Wesley. In the first two seasons of TNG I couldn’t stand him, in the third and fourth seasons he partly redeems himself, and the fifth season episode First Duty (the one where Wesley is in Starfleet Academy and covers up the f*ck-up he and his friends along with Tom Paris— ahem, Nicolas Locarno did) is a great episode and shows what they could have done with Wesley.

Too bad Wesley’s departure episode has him rewarded with some sort of godhood, pfft.

Wesley was the final curse of Roddenberry imo, I appreciated his vision of the future but it makes for limited entertainment after a while. If Gene was still alive when First Duty was aired, I'm not sure if he would have been too happy with it.

However, for us Trekkies is was a great episode and Wil Wheaton's best performance.

Neelix, I don't think ever really redeemed himself, thankfully the other characters of Voyager were generally pretty good which helped bumble Voyager along till the Borg showed up.  

any ideers as to what would be cool in a star trek TC for doom?

On 1/11/2022 at 3:43 PM, CBM said:

any ideers as to what would be cool in a star trek TC for doom?

A Deep Space Nine cardssian invasion 

1 hour ago, Eurisko said:

A Deep Space Nine cardssian invasion 

hmm..interesting.

I wonder if there has ever been any games that took place at DS9

14 hours ago, CBM said:

hmm..interesting.

I wonder if there has ever been any games that took place at DS9

There were a handful of DS9 specific games in the 90s, Harbinger and Dominion War I can remember, there used to be trailer for them on some of the old Trek VHS tapes.

56 minutes ago, VisionThing said:

There were a handful of DS9 specific games in the 90s, Harbinger and Dominion War I can remember, there used to be trailer for them on some of the old Trek VHS tapes.

Cool, I'll check them out ASAP!

I've been meaning to buy Away Team of gog as it happens. I played a demo of that when it came out, as Commandos was all the rage back then.

I seem to remember doing a very un-starfleet thing and murdering everyone with phasers, as you do when you're young. But I'm thinking it could be a pretty cool game to chill out with.

Just buy the Elite Force games. They are ace :)

Currently Final season DS9, episode 13. This final season really goes for the bizarre at times, but the Dukat angle is starting to wear on me. Not going to spoil anything but i feel Dukat's charm is slowly lost here. He is the villian you love to hate and then love again.

I also have to add that the end of S6 and S7 the series really just turns bleak and dark. It definitely is more about showing the consequences of a crew's action and not shying away from it.

On 12/8/2021 at 10:16 AM, Liberation said:

I don't mind Lwaxana, I find her a pretty funny addition but mainly due to how the crew reacts around her. Picard especially. Shame her last TNG episode was such a heart ache really.  

Picard does not like her and i get that. I understand her comic relief targets a different kind of person than i am.

On 12/8/2021 at 10:16 AM, Liberation said:

ENT's music is a bit strange, but I can live with it. DS9's on the other hand, I dislike completely, and the season3/4 upgrade only made it worse.

It really is a lot more omnious, is it?

7 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Currently Final season DS9, episode 13. This final season really goes for the bizarre at times, but the Dukat angle is starting to wear on me. Not going to spoil anything but i feel Dukat's charm is slowly lost here. He is the villian you love to hate and then love again.

I also have to add that the end of S6 and S7 the series really just turns bleak and dark. It definitely is more about showing the consequences of a crew's action and not shying away from it.

I take it you're just past a certain couple of Nog-centric episodes -- by the way, a fine example of how DS9 turned the goofiest villains of TNG into something decent (albeit mostly thru Quark and Nog).

It's been a while since I watched DS9 (last weekend I started a slow re-run myself, though!) but I do remember the first half of S7 being, well, it is good as DS9 for me usually is, but it seemed as if it was a bit lost, spending time on some odd detours while the war is raging on, Bajor is still not a part of federation, Damar is having a bit too much kanar and whatnot. Trust me, the end stretch is going to be worth it. I can't get past the final episode without crying, a grown man that I am.

It's pain being tormented by Riker jokes when your name is actually Ryker. I never watched Star Trek and don't even know what it's about.
young-asian-man-crying-portrait-wearing-casual-white-shirt-covering-his-face-fingers-sad-emotion-concept-134590084.jpg
(Those kinda movies just aren't my style, lol)

I like watching my fav episodes from TNG, VOY and DS9 on netflix