Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rudolph

Heretic: The Way Raven Did?

Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, rzh said:

I just realized there aren't any proper grass textures in the game. I mean, there's that green flat that kind of looks like vegetation I guess? But yeah, for a game that spent a lot more time outdoors than Doom, there's little to no dedicated "outdoors" textures.

That's the thing, I'd love to have a Heretic megawad. But I'd want to work with some artists as there's so few textures in that game. Feels like less than Registered Doom at times (did Ultimate Doom add textures? I think it did). I've been playing around with making Heretic maps recently but there's so little variation with the textures. 

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

That's the thing, I'd love to have a Heretic megawad. But I'd want to work with some artists as there's so few textures in that game. Feels like less than Registered Doom at times (did Ultimate Doom add textures? I think it did). I've been playing around with making Heretic maps recently but there's so little variation with the textures. 

Would it be acceptable to use Hexen textures as well?

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Rudolph said:

Would it be acceptable to use Hexen textures as well?

I love Hexen textures, seriously beautiful. But the art style is so different and the color palette might be unique as well. I don't think they would mesh very well. Both games have a very defined art style. I find Hexen textures woek better in Doom wads, like Eternal Doom and Alien Vendetta.

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

I love Hexen textures, seriously beautiful. But the art style is so different and the color palette might be unique as well. I don't think they would mesh very well. Both games have a very defined art style. I find Hexen textures woek better in Doom wads, like Eternal Doom and Alien Vendetta.

 

Actually, both Hexen and Heretic have very similar colors in their palette. Hexen's textures work much better in Heretic than in Doom. Faithless Trilogy is just one example where both Heretic and Hexen's textures coexist without any aesthetic mismatching.

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Would it be acceptable to use Hexen textures as well?

 

Forgot to answer this. Yeah, using Hexen textures in Heretic is perfectly acceptable around here.

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

 

Actually, both Hexen and Heretic have very similar colors in their palette. Hexen's textures work much better in Heretic than in Doom. Faithless Trilogy is just one example where both Heretic and Hexen's textures coexist without any aesthetic mismatching.

 

11 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

 

Forgot to answer this. Yeah, using Hexen textures in Heretic is perfectly acceptable around here.

Alright, good point. Maybe it wouldn't need new graphics. 

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

"How id Would Have Done" might be more interesting, as Romero, Petersen, and McGee probably would have done much more interesting things with the game's features.

 

3 hours ago, Kinsie said:

Would be interested in playing Heretic But With More Than Five Textures

 

12 hours ago, Marisa Kirisame said:

Why not a "Heretic In Name Only" instead, then?

 

7 hours ago, Captain Toenail said:

I would be interested in a Heretic megawad.

 

I would suggest a strong theme for each episode with a matching custom sky, but otherwise let the mappers do whatever they like in their own style within the theme.

e.g. an episode focused on swampy outdoor areas, an episode in a strange magical void, an episode in a frosty world of ice, an episode in a fiery volcanic lair, or something along those lines. Not necessarily the original episode themes.

 

Another suggestion would be to replace the tall brown pillar decoration with a tree for natural outside areas as Heretic is lacking in that area.

There's many interesting concepts here, i'd like to do such a project like this too

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

(did Ultimate Doom add textures? I think it did)


Nope, just SKY4 as far as I know

Share this post


Link to post

another thing "easy to do" can be a total replacer for Doom. Easy replace for monsters with a randomizer, and some more time for texture replacing.

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Which happens to be my favorite Doom texture. It's so nice looking.


It is quite nice, and interestingly it uses the orange range of the palette which is not prominently used in any other textures, so that makes it stand out even more. I think iD was only planning on using the orange for the lighting effects of various sprites' firing animations, and then realized later that it made for a great sky color. But anyway we're getting off topic. This is about Heretic!

Speaking of which... @WARDUST I think you're in the wrong thread?
 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, magicsofa said:


It is quite nice, and interestingly it uses the orange range of the palette which is not prominently used in any other textures, so that makes it stand out even more. I think iD was only planning on using the orange for the lighting effects of various sprites' firing animations, and then realized later that it made for a great sky color. But anyway we're getting off topic. This is about Heretic!

Speaking of which... @WARDUST I think you're in the wrong thread?
 

No man, i love Heretic and this thread give me the idea of the replacer. Playing Doom but with all Heretic Stuff. I know it's off from the focus, but just an idea to cover the lack of wads for Heretic instead of making a good one megawad. But yes i can close my mouth :-P

Share this post


Link to post

For those calling out for Heretic textures, try visiting the Heretic/Hexen texture and decoration thread. Baker's Legacy and Ettingrinder's pack (linked in the thread OP) and any new textures posted in that thread are the best place to start compiling a textureset. There's lots of great stuff in there that has made it into Faithless Trilogy, etc. You can also find some good custom textures in Hymn and Realm of Parthoris, iirc. And, as people have mentioned already, you can port Hexen textures into Heretic pretty easily -- it's possibly to find combinations that will clash badly, but mostly it works pretty well.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I really like the idea of a Heretic Way Id Did Set. The trouble with Heretic in name only is that most of the maps already bear more of a general resemblance to their name than the Doom equivalents. If someone wanted to do that, it'd be ideal if they try not to lean so hard on abstract design. I don't think D2iNo is universally beloved.

 

As to the idea of extra Heretic textures, I know this upcoming project will be using some new ones, though I'm not sure how well they'd go with a moderately faithful adaptation of Heretic, as I've glanced through them only once.

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, LadyMistDragon said:

I really like the idea of a Heretic Way Id Did Set. The trouble with Heretic in name only is that most of the maps already bear more of a general resemblance to their name than the Doom equivalents. If someone wanted to do that, it'd be ideal if they try not to lean so hard on abstract design. I don't think D2iNo is universally beloved.

 

As to the idea of extra Heretic textures, I know this upcoming project will be using some new ones, though I'm not sure how well they'd go with a moderately faithful adaptation of Heretic, as I've glanced through them only once.

 

I think you're right about the "in name only." The IWAD itself looks a lot like a community-made "in name only" project, especially the first three episodes. It even has the same sort of variance in level design experience/skill that you'd expect to find in a CP.

I'm looking forward to the WMC project and the textures look very good, but they also look like they'll require truecolor. That means they'd probably be tough to use in a project with a more classic bent (even a GZDoom-based one a la Faithless Trilogy, Sold Soul, or Quest for the Crystal Skulls), because they probably would not convert to the palette well without a lot of extra manual coloring work. I've done similar work on paletting a lot of the Hexen 2 texture set, and it's pretty time-consuming.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×