Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lutz

Stupid Linedef Limits

I have made some big, complex levels in the past, but for the first time I have managed to exceed the linedef limit (with the damn level only 2/3 complete) -- I suspect a combination of gradient lighting and and natural rock formations, plus some stupidly unnecessary floor details that probably should just be a texture.

First of all: DAMMIT.

Second: are there .WAD formats that support an increased number of linedefs, or is that an inflexible DOOM limitation?

Third: I'm certain other folks have been in this situation -- what did you do?  How did you go about re-working your creations, or did you scrap them altogether?

Forth: DAMMIT!

I love big complex levels, but holy shit! This one must be a monster. What is your source port?

50 minutes ago, Borg said:

I love big complex levels, but holy shit! This one must be a monster. What is your source port?

That's what I want to know. Maybe he's doing vanilla mapping, and the level can't be much bigger than late Eternal Doom maps. However, if he's using Boom / MBF I really gotta see it. Must be massive.

Also, OP, would you consider breaking the level into two or three maps? It's a not the best, but it would be possible. Also, maybe simplifying lighting or floors designs would help. I love gradient lighting, but if the map crashes it isn't worth it in my opinion. How big were your earlier maps? I'd love to play them!

Thanks, all, for the quick responses -- answers (and follow-up questions) below:

- The map format is (currently) BOOM/MBF (though I am using ZDoom for testing)

- I don't think the map is that big (at least by playable area), but again, there are thousands of lines devoted to various light gradients and rock/lava formations

- The layout is pretty dense and fairly inter-connected, so it would be hard to break it up into multiple maps; also, it looks the way I want it to, so I am hesitant to simplify too much -- I'd almost rather scrap it completely than have to "dumb it down" too far

- Is it possible I am running into a DoomBuilder 2 limit rather than a .WAD format limit?

- Were I to convert it to UDMF, it sounds like it would be pretty seamless EXCEPT for these lines in the Doom Wiki:

Doom format to UDMF

Every tagged sector needs to get added a 'dropactors = true;' line to remain compatible.

What does that mean?

Also, here's a shot of 80% of the level (grid=256) -- lots of lines, but it doesn't *feel* huge, so I'm surprised I hit a limit...

Editor.png

What are the lump counts shown in DoomBuilder's bottom right when no linedef/sector is highlighted? When beyond static limits, DB2 highlights it in red.

UDB-counts.png.88159419b4ce6f2bd5dc7767bd9faf0e.png

The DB2 family of editors (including DBX & UDB) will auto-compress SIDEDEFS if they go beyond the limit but truthfully the SEGS lump has its limits reached before LINEDEFS/SIDEDEFS. I check that using SLADE:

slade-count.png.8f0597d8b298eb6e98c87fac658259fe.png

The SEGS limit of boom.exe was 2^15 = 32768 but PrBoom+, Eternity Engine, Woof, etc. raise that to 2^16 - 1 = 65535.

I have a limit-removing map about the size of your automap screenshot and I had to cull some details because it was hitting both 65k SEGS and the blockmap limit.

Edited by Afterglow

I ran into the exact same issue a few years back with one of my first maps, so made this handy guide to the Linedef limits in Doom's map formats:

Depending on exactly what Linedef counts you're running into, this should give you an idea of how far you can go before you need to change to UDMF.

UDMF can definitely handle it and DSDA's UDMF support is well on its way so you wouldn't even lose compatibility with a classic port.

You got to be aware of potential slowdowns, though, the area to the right may bring the engine to its knees.

On 12/5/2021 at 5:17 AM, Lutz said:

What does that mean?

Normally nothing. It may only be an issue with very fast lifts. As long as you just convert a Boom-format map the feature guarded by 'dropactors' will not become an issue.

Wow and here I thought I was sitting high and mighty with 19000 trimmed down

Edited by Dreamskull

On 12/5/2021 at 7:17 AM, Lutz said:

Thanks, all, for the quick responses -- answers (and follow-up questions) below:

- The map format is (currently) BOOM/MBF (though I am using ZDoom for testing)

- I don't think the map is that big (at least by playable area), but again, there are thousands of lines devoted to various light gradients and rock/lava formations

- The layout is pretty dense and fairly inter-connected, so it would be hard to break it up into multiple maps; also, it looks the way I want it to, so I am hesitant to simplify too much -- I'd almost rather scrap it completely than have to "dumb it down" too far

- Is it possible I am running into a DoomBuilder 2 limit rather than a .WAD format limit?

- Were I to convert it to UDMF, it sounds like it would be pretty seamless EXCEPT for these lines in the Doom Wiki:

What does that mean?

Also, here's a shot of 80% of the level (grid=256) -- lots of lines, but it doesn't *feel* huge, so I'm surprised I hit a limit...

Editor.png

PLEASE POST SCREENSHOTS OF YOUR MAP IN 3D MODE BRO!!!