Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lutz

Converting from BOOM/MBF to UDMF :: Actions/Triggers

So, I am converting a map from BOOM/MBF to UDMF in order to work around some limitations (see post at the bottom for more info).  I used wad2udmf 0.3.7 to retain my linedef pegging/offsets (THANK GOD), but triggers seem to have disappeared (i.e. I can't open doors, lifts don't work, transparency is missing, etc).  Restoring transparency was fairly straightforward, but the biggest concern I have is lighting -- I had a bunch of 213/261 (Set Floor/Ceiling light level) tags that now have no effect.

At the end of the day, I want the UDMF version of my level to look/function exactly like the BOOM/MBF version -- what is the best way to do that?  Alternatively, what is the best way to restore lighting/door/lift functionality after conversion?  If I have to do everything manually, is there a list of standard parameters for door/lift speeds so that the level "feels like Doom"?

Is there an executable I could run?  As someone who cannot read Cyrillic nor has access to a JAVA compiler, I am at a loss as to how to actually run that tool...

I tried that on a Boom map of my own, but cannot get it to work well. The only output I can get out of it also has no tags and linetypes assigned. I spoiler-tagged what gives some sort of result, but that refuses to load in Ultimate Doom Builder...

Spoiler

It is a bit cumbersome to use. You'll need to have Nodejs installed (LTS or latest should work, though I only tested with 14). Extract the VERTEXES, LINDEFS, SECTORS, THINGS and SIDEDEFS lumps from your map and place them in the /input directory. Then from a commandline run `node index.js`. That will produce a TEXTMAP file in the /output directory you can put after the map marker in place of the input lumps, ending the map list with an ENDMAP lump.

2 hours ago, Lutz said:

Alternatively, what is the best way to restore lighting/door/lift functionality after conversion?  If I have to do everything manually, is there a list of standard parameters for door/lift speeds so that the level "feels like Doom"?

If it helps, I did spend some time on the ZDoom wiki entering conversions for the various effects. E.g. for Door_Open.

More conveniently maybe, SLADE's map editor does have a special preset with the same info.

nlkUDvv.pngRrUfp00.png

It gives you the full list of Doom format specials (as you can see you even have access to the unique Heretic and Strife specials), and when you choose one it will set the appropriate parameters, trigger, and toggle the repeatable flag if needed.

@Lutz

I'll suggest an alternative:

First convert to Hexen format with ZWADCONV found here.

Usage: zwadconv <source.wad> <output.wad>

Then convert that to UDMF with WAD2UDMF found here.

Usage: wad2udmf -input <source.wad> -output <output.wad>

Works fine for me when I'm porting Vanilla map to UDMF.

On 12/5/2021 at 8:06 PM, Gez said:

If it helps, I did spend some time on the ZDoom wiki entering conversions for the various effects. E.g. for Door_Open.

Do you happend to have all those conversions in some computer-readable format? That could be automatically converted into the DB2 family config format, and adding the actual conversion into UDB shouldn't be much of a problem, since it would just be an extension of the current non-UDMF -> UDMF conversion (which pretty much only converts flags).

8 hours ago, boris said:

Do you happend to have all those conversions in some computer-readable format? That could be automatically converted into the DB2 family config format, and adding the actual conversion into UDB shouldn't be much of a problem, since it would just be an extension of the current non-UDMF -> UDMF conversion (which pretty much only converts flags).

Basically I went through GZDoom's own xlat files, and then did some regexp stuff to make wiki code I could copy-paste. This was also the base for the SLADE presets.