Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snoopier

My First Maps (5 Maps)

Hello all, here are my first maps that I've ever made, made a couple of years ago.

Looking forward to hearing what you all have to say.

It's a pack of 5 maps (I was making a sixth but never finished it), tested in GZdoom. Some unconventional level designs, and Jumping/Crouching are enabled and may be required at certain points.

TestPack.rar

Screenshot_Doom_20211209_200502.png.c66f7136a4917fa0a5432ed7ecc0be06.pngScreenshot_Doom_20211209_200628.png.2fd53ed30758ca55ab6afa9bda673eff.pngScreenshot_Doom_20211209_200735.png.2558319cff2f7aa5694b2412d095ac1b.png

Edited by Snoopier

Oh boy, that's a tough one.

The Good

The first map was my favourite,

Easy to navigate, enough detail and decoration to look appealing, you used good Specters in dark places, some combat encounters were creativly designed (like the Hellknight labyrinth like segment) and the lighting was well done ocasionally.

The stairs for the blue and wooden fortress for the red key you have to get past are an nice change of pace.

The Imp ambush attempt was neat.

Music in later levels sound good and the size shows you have great ambitions for your first wad.

The big spaces were best filled in the second level, the dark cave with the torches for orientation was quite neat.

The Bad

This might sound a little harsh, but it is your first wad, so most of the following points can be handwaved away.

The first level has a lot of displaced textures, the doors are the worst contenders.

The default textures are way too prominent and the room with the Revenant felt like too many monsters didn't impact the combat (like the cacos)

Also it was kind of disapointing it missed the custom music later levels had.

Later levels had a lot of missing textures, texture bugs and miss detail on many empty fields.

Because of said enormous open fields and poor enemy placement, you can just run past everyting way too easy, they all could be Cyberdemons and it would hardly make any difference.

If you try to stick around and deal with them, you'll run into the problem of dying to projectiles coming from 300 sources, while you try to shotgun and minigun your way through hordes pinkies and high tier enemies.

The levels are just way too big my friend.

Just running from A to B to get the keys is a chore, it doesn't help that the combat isn't very engaging and most parts are just visually boring.

I admire your ambition, but maybe start small and work your way up to bigger levels and/ or research how to use the monster roster more effectivly.

It's a shame, because the usage of specters and your decoration shows you know enough about Doom to make a decent level,

but sadly level 1 and 2 need some polish and playtesting; level 3-5 just bad.

2/5 open fields

Not bad for a first set of levels.  There are number of places where there are missing textures.  And while I don't have much issue with the size of the levels, it might be a good idea to have teleports stationed around to get where the next place is.  For example, after you get the red key in level 5, you have to traverse a pretty long route to get to where you use to the red key.  And there are no new enemy encounters.  Allowing the player to teleport to where they need to go would be nice.   

Spoiler

On 12/7/2021 at 11:35 AM, ChestedArmor said:

Oh boy, that's a tough one.

The Good

The first map was my favourite,

Easy to navigate, enough detail and decoration to look appealing, you used good Specters in dark places, some combat encounters were creativly designed (like the Hellknight labyrinth like segment) and the lighting was well done ocasionally.

The stairs for the blue and wooden fortress for the red key you have to get past are an nice change of pace.

The Imp ambush attempt was neat.

Music in later levels sound good and the size shows you have great ambitions for your first wad.

The big spaces were best filled in the second level, the dark cave with the torches for orientation was quite neat.

The Bad

This might sound a little harsh, but it is your first wad, so most of the following points can be handwaved away.

The first level has a lot of displaced textures, the doors are the worst contenders.

The default textures are way too prominent and the room with the Revenant felt like too many monsters didn't impact the combat (like the cacos)

Also it was kind of disapointing it missed the custom music later levels had.

Later levels had a lot of missing textures, texture bugs and miss detail on many empty fields.

Because of said enormous open fields and poor enemy placement, you can just run past everyting way too easy, they all could be Cyberdemons and it would hardly make any difference.

If you try to stick around and deal with them, you'll run into the problem of dying to projectiles coming from 300 sources, while you try to shotgun and minigun your way through hordes pinkies and high tier enemies.

The levels are just way too big my friend.

Just running from A to B to get the keys is a chore, it doesn't help that the combat isn't very engaging and most parts are just visually boring.

I admire your ambition, but maybe start small and work your way up to bigger levels and/ or research how to use the monster roster more effectivly.

It's a shame, because the usage of specters and your decoration shows you know enough about Doom to make a decent level,

but sadly level 1 and 2 need some polish and playtesting; level 3-5 just bad.

2/5 open fields

Well put, I agree with everything you said, especially after I had re-tested it recently.

I tested TestPack.wad with LZDoom, I was not able to complete the maps. You have a long way to go. I was barely able to finish the first map, because of projectiles flying through the wall. Enemies are able to see you through doors. The map is very dark if you are using DOOM.EXE lighting values in LZDoom. The dark maps will not be very interesting to play unless you are using a flashlight mod. My recommendations, there is no reason to build large maps if the areas of the map are not actually relevant to the map. Smaller maps are easier to build. Place enemies in ambush locations closer to the player instead of distant locations. Enemies placed closer to the player will have a greater chance of hitting the player. To have the player fight more powerful enemies, add a plasma gun, rocket launcher, or super shotgun to the map.