Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NinjaDelphox

What's a map you never get tired of playing?

The maps from Preacher have excellent replayability. Their "random" spawn points and open-ended layouts allowing freedom in both player and enemy movements mean that every play is a little different. Some of my favorite maps from the set are maps 5 and 6, for their layouts as well as their striking visuals.

15 hours ago, Shepardus said:

The maps from Preacher have excellent replayability. Their "random" spawn points and open-ended layouts allowing freedom in both player and enemy movements mean that every play is a little different. Some of my favorite maps from the set are maps 5 and 6, for their layouts as well as their striking visuals.

Preacher is certainly among the wads with the best pistol-start experience, very replayable that way.

Doom E1M1 & E1M2. There's just something special about the flow of those two that feels, for lack of a better word, perfect.

On 12/6/2021 at 12:19 PM, NinjaDelphox said:

and Mind Trap from HR2 are also maps I really enjoy playing a lot.

Personally I prefer Metal Meltdown over Mind Trap. I find it a lot more fun and the midi from that map is my favorite HR2 midi.

Also for maps that I never get tired of playing, I would say any map from Neo Doom, Icarus: Alien Vanguard's Engine Core, and Chocolate Island from Ray Mohawk 2.

Edited by LGmaire

3 hours ago, LGmaire said:

Personally I prefer Metal Breakdown over Mind Trap. I find it a lot more fun and the midi from that map is my favorite HR2 midi.

Also for maps that I never get tired of playing, I would say any map from Neo Doom, Icarus: Alien Vanguard's Engine Core, and Chocolate Island from Ray Mohawk 2.

Metal Meltdown is a lot of fun! I also really enjoy listening to Thorny Wall, it's one of my favorite HR2 songs, at least at the beginning and end, the part in the middle kinda bores me. 

5 hours ago, NinjaDelphox said:

Metal Meltdown is a lot of fun! I also really enjoy listening to Thorny Wall, it's one of my favorite HR2 songs, at least at the beginning and end, the part in the middle kinda bores me. 

I do agree that the middle of the map is kinda boring, not even as hard as the average HR2 map tbh.

Tho I can appreciate it as a break map, because it really feels like a nice break when it comes to difficulty, especially early on in HR2 since Metal Meltdown is map14 of the megawad, and the previous maps are quite the challenge.

Also I keep thinking that the name of the map is Metal Breakdown instead of Meltdown and I just realized that lmao.

1 hour ago, LGmaire said:

I do agree that the middle of the map is kinda boring, not even as hard as the average HR2 map tbh.

Tho I can appreciate it as a break map, because it really feels like a nice break when it comes to difficulty, especially early on in HR2 since Metal Meltdown is map14 of the megawad, and the previous maps are quite the challenge.

Also I keep thinking that the name of the map is Metal Breakdown instead of Meltdown and I just realized that lmao.

I actually meant the beginning and end of the music and not the map haha

Like the OP I really like BTSX E1 map 22 and its midi ... in fact, I played it yesterday (independently from this thread) ...

Other maps I regularly re-visit:

- Plutonia 10 - I just love the setpieces, mainly in the first part. Also maps 25 and 27.

- Alien Vendetta MAP06 - excellent pacing, good combat

- Eternal Doom 20, 26 and 31 - three very creative maps full of cool puzzles and punchy entertaining combat

- BTSX E1 MAP01 - simply excellent.

- BTSX E2 MAP24 - I'm very angry with these archviles, won't stop until I get a saveless run :)

On 12/6/2021 at 1:14 AM, NinjaDelphox said:

This question popped up in my head while I was replaying my favorite map, Gonna Never Have to Die from BTSX1, for the 10000th time. What is some of your guys' favorite maps to constantly replay? I love Gonna Never Have to Die because it is so much fun to play, and it has my absolute #1 most favorite midi in a Doom wad ever, music is the biggest reason I play video games, and I just love listening to Womp endlessly lol.

I just tried that map. Pretty cool, I was having fun until a hell knight didn't die when it "should" have and plasma'd me dead. I might give it another go; I do like that midi a lot. 

Now that I think of it, I don't think there is a custom level that I play over and over, though I have played Alleycat.wad quite a bit as it is probably my favorite custom level, as it has great gameplay and a very economical use of space and has Doom 2 levels of detail. For me it is the quintessential doom map and I would love to play more maps like it. Not sure what level I play the most from Doom 1, but map10 is probably my favorite level to pistol start and play repeatedly from Doom 2. Not sure why that is, maybe because I find it easy to navigate while having really fun gameplay, whereas most doom 2 maps have annoyances in the navigation department. But map24 was a level I played a lot as well as it has a very unique and distinctive sense of place and atmosphere that is unlike anything else, really, and it also has really fun gameplay, especially the first half of the map.

EDIT: I used to play Map16 Suburbs a lot as well as it also a really fun pistol start challenge. I also replayed Map23 a whole bunch (for same reason: super fun pistol start challenge, and one of the less annoying maps to navigte) and citadel a lot because it has interesting secrets. To slightly lesser extent I played The Pit a lot as it is probably the most epic early doom 2 level (lots of really cool set pieces in this map), but I find the map a little more tedious to replay as compared to Refuelling Base and Suburbs. I replayed Map20 from pistol start a lot, too; the open world-map was appealing to me as well as the cyb/spidey set piece. 

Map15 was for a time my favorite Doom 2 map as I liked the castles in it and the way the map was sort of split by a river and that sort of LOTRy feeling when you enter the yellow key door (I think it was yellow key, not 100% sure on that now), and the secrets were fun. 

But over the years and decades it's always refuelling base that I'm happy to play again and again, whereas lots of other doom 2 maps I enjoyed replaying for a stint, but did not revisit them all the time. 

Edited by Hellbent

Knee Deep in the Dead of course

Alien Vendetta MAP10 (Toxic Touch) for its excellent pacing. I'm also fond of the Archvile placements for some reason.

Vanguard MAP09 (Free Parking) to pretend I'm good at slaughter.

Valiant MAP15 and MAP31 (Screams Aren't A Crime...Yet and Cyberwar 7734) See above.

Sunlust MAP06 (Neo Gerouru) <- this may be my favorite map in all of DooM from a visual standpoint

and pretty much the entirety of Operation: Biowar. Love that WAD.

Vivisection from No Rest for the Living

Congo from Plutonia

Black Tower from Master Levels

Hell Beneath, Perfect Hatred, Against Thee Wickedly from Thy Flesh Consumed

I still fire up EVIL_E from time to time, makes a pleasant 15 mins or so. It has just the right amount of challenge without being too boring, a fair variety of themes and there are a few neat ideas in it without being overly complex. Most notable as arguably the first level with a ship or boat structure.

On 12/10/2021 at 1:59 PM, LGmaire said:

Personally I prefer Metal Meltdown over Mind Trap. I find it a lot more fun and the midi from that map is my favorite HR2 midi.

Hell Revealed 2 is so frustrating to me because some maps are just excellent but others are terrible. And the soundtrack is amazing. So there's a lot to like but a lot to dislike. I really enjoy replaying early maps in the wad, especially ones by Jonas Feragen and Mike Watson. Something about the combat and old - school limit - removing visuals draw me in. They're just nice to play. Later maps are usually an ugly, abrasive slog though. Really wish I could enjoy them but I don't. Maybe I need to spend more time with the wad. I honestly don't know if I prefer the first or second in the series, they both have such a messy identity and inconsistent gameplay. At least both of the soundtracks rock.

Although there are some below par maps in the wad as a whole, I never get tired of Alien Vendetta. The good maps are very good, and in general the nostalgia and feeling I get is unprecedented. Also the "late old school" to "early modern" style is perfect for me.

Edited by darkreaver

9 hours ago, RDETalus said:

It's an homage to MAP20 of Alien Vendetta, Misri Halek

Speaking of that map, when I first saw the automap of it I thought it would be one of those ridiculously complicated, maze-like maps where you would end up wandering around for hours having no idea where to go, but then I played it and realized that it actually flowed very clearly and logically and was very fun to play.

As much as the Master Levels tend to be a meme, I tend to play ATTACK.WAD when I'm testing out a gameplay mod for the first time since it's not hugely difficult and has a good chunk of the Doom 2 bestiary and arsenal in one map.

4 hours ago, Lutz said:

"Darkdome" from Eternal Doom III

Sverre went all out on this one. Incredible map.

2 hours ago, Kinsie said:

As much as the Master Levels tend to be a meme, I tend to play ATTACK.WAD when I'm testing out a gameplay mod for the first time since it's not hugely difficult and has a good chunk of the Doom 2 bestiary and arsenal in one map.

Hahaha I actually do this too. i don't mind the Master Levels too much, they aren't the best, but they are better than D!Zone . . . .

I'll never get tired of BTSX episode 1 as a whole & Eviternity's map 19. They nail the techbase aesthetic perfectly and are always a joy to blaze through.

4 hours ago, DoomPlayer00 said:

I'll never get tired of BTSX episode 1 as a whole & Eviternity's map 19. They nail the techbase aesthetic perfectly and are always a joy to blaze through.

I replay BTSX2 like once a week lol, BTSX1 I only really replay Map 22 Currently. I'm not a huge fan of Dehydration, to me it feels overly long for a normal slot map, and doesn't feel as satisfying of a journey as Anagnorisis. I love Gossamer as well in Eviternity. (Map 24)