Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Borg

Linedef actions help

DB2, Zdoom in doom.

I searched and never found what seems like a common action. SR Floor raises to highest floor. I ended up using Floor raises 512 which forced me to make some mapping mods which is not the end of the world except I'm using control sectors which complicates it a bit.

Anyway, my question, is there a way to either add actions or mod existing actions? For example, instead of Floor raises 512, make it 384 or 256.

I did a couple of searches here and on youtube and didn't find anything.

Am I about to learn scripting?

4 hours ago, sluggard said:

Zdoom (doom in doom) doesn't appear to have any way to trigger a script.

I saw that there is a way but it was too complicated. It would make more sense to go about the tedious task to convert to UDMF.

UDB has something called fragglescript using a map spot of sorts but I was unable to get it to work for the same reason. Unable to find a trigger.

Since I have resolved the issue in another way,  I'm not stuck here.

Thanks for the help.

5 hours ago, Borg said:

Zdoom (doom in doom) doesn't appear to have any way to trigger a script.

I saw that there is a way but it was too complicated. It would make more sense to go about the tedious task to convert to UDMF.

UDB has something called fragglescript using a map spot of sorts but I was unable to get it to work for the same reason. Unable to find a trigger.

Since I have resolved the issue in another way,  I'm not stuck here.

Thanks for the help.

I know it seems simpler, but using Doom format when targeting a port is usually counter productive. You are basically telling the editor, "yeah this is for Zdoom but I want you to cut out some of the functionality that Zdoom supports." Fragglescript was made to hack scripting functionality into the map marker lump (ie MAP01) and is best avoided.

If you want to use ACS, you will need to use Hexen format at the very least. UDMF is really Not That Bad however and it's basically an extension of Hexen format, and it will allow you to do certain things in a far less tedious way, such as colored sectors without any scripting.

Anyway, even though you may have solved this particular problem, you are honestly shooting yourself in the foot by using Doom format. If you were making a vanilla-compatible wad, then Doom format is needed (obvi). But if you want to target advanced ports without all the features of UDMF, you should really consider using either Boom or Hexen. 

3 hours ago, magicsofa said:

I know it seems simpler, but using Doom format when targeting a port is usually counter productive. You are basically telling the editor, "yeah this is for Zdoom but I want you to cut out some of the functionality that Zdoom supports." Fragglescript was made to hack scripting functionality into the map marker lump (ie MAP01) and is best avoided.

If you want to use ACS, you will need to use Hexen format at the very least. UDMF is really Not That Bad however and it's basically an extension of Hexen format, and it will allow you to do certain things in a far less tedious way, such as colored sectors without any scripting.

Anyway, even though you may have solved this particular problem, you are honestly shooting yourself in the foot by using Doom format. If you were making a vanilla-compatible wad, then Doom format is needed (obvi). But if you want to target advanced ports without all the features of UDMF, you should really consider using either Boom or Hexen. 

I appreciate that. After reading this thread:

Which includes some of the icons of Doom, I think I should avoid UDMF. Frankly, I'm not good enough to jump out of vanilla just yet. Far from it.

I will probably switch to UDB but will stay with vanilla for now.

5 hours ago, SilverMiner said:

Zdoom has fragglescript

I gave that a half assed try and was unsuccessful. Didn't completely understand how to implement it.

2 hours ago, Borg said:

I gave that a half assed try and was unsuccessful. Didn't completely understand how to implement it. 

EDIT:

Don't get bothered by FS, try using XLAT for calling ACS from a Doom format map instead.

EDIT2:

Really, xlat would be enough to make some new linedef actions that meet your needs. So it bypasses scripting :)

Edited by SilverMiner

16 hours ago, Borg said:

I will probably switch to UDB but will stay with vanilla for now.

The only real difference is the data types/action types, the numbers are indeed different but other than that, it's just creating a map the same way.

You just have a shit ton more options in UDB.. 

Otherwise the editors do mostly the same thing, depending on which format you plan to map under.

I'd imagen you chose Zdoom doom in doom format to try and stay vanilla but have a few Zdoom features? It's been awhile since I've looked at the difference between the two.( Zdoom in doom format, and Doom in doom format.) What's actually gained here anyway? besides ACS, I'm guessing large texture flats, and flats can be placed on walls, walls textures can be used as flats, things like that?

Anyway, why not use action type 69? - SR Floor raise to next highest floor? ~ yes I know, "next".. :D

Of course, unless you have different height sectors attached to the floor you want to move to, before the ceiling height is reached, heh.

As far as I can tell, this action type does the same as "SR Floor raise to highest floor" would, the difference is that the one mentioned above gives you an option to move the floor again to the "next" highest floor, depending whether there's another higher sector connected to it, if not, then it only moves to the only one given higher sector.

It's easier to show than explain lol:

So here's a little example I just made. I used DB2 - Zdoom in doom format btw. ;)

Loaded Doom2.wad as the resource.

sr69_test.zip

In one corner, the floor has a tall skinny sector at 192 units attached to it as well as a larger sector at 128 units high.

In the other corner, is the same thing, minus the tall skinny sector. 

Edited by Mr.Rocket

1 hour ago, Mr.Rocket said:

The only real difference is the data types/action types, the numbers are indeed different but other than that, it's just creating a map the same way.

You just have a shit ton more options in UDB.. 

Otherwise the editors do mostly the same thing, depending on which format you plan to map under.

I'd imagen you chose Zdoom doom in doom format to try and stay vanilla but have a few Zdoom features? It's been awhile since I've looked at the difference between the two.( Zdoom in doom format, and Doom in doom format.) What's actually gained here anyway? besides ACS, I'm guessing large texture flats, and flats can be placed on walls, walls textures can be used as flats, things like that?

Anyway, why not use action type 69? - SR Floor raise to next highest floor? ~ yes I know, "next".. :D

Of course, unless you have different height sectors attached to the floor you want to move to, before the ceiling height is reached, heh.

As far as I can tell, this action type does the same as "SR Floor raise to highest floor" would, the difference is that the one mentioned above gives you an option to move the floor again to the "next" highest floor, depending whether there's another higher sector connected to it, if not, then it only moves to the only one given higher sector.

It's easier to show than explain lol:

So here's a little example I just made. I used DB2 - Zdoom in doom format btw. ;)

Loaded Doom2.wad as the resource.

sr69_test.zip

In one corner, the floor has a tall skinny sector at 192 units attached to it as well as a larger sector at 128 units high.

In the other corner, is the same thing, minus the tall skinny sector. 

I have 3 floors, 4 actually counting the bottom floor, and I wanted to start at the top floor and progress down 1 floor at a time like "Going Down.wad". So 69 didn't work.

When I started making maps about 2 months ago, I just used Doom. Then I played around with Zdoom (doom in doom) and saw that I had e few more linedef actions and could use textures how ever I wanted like you said. I knew nothing about targeting ports or what a port even was. I was suffering from DJIS, (Doom jargon ignorance syndrome).

I'm getting better but many things are still not clear.

I really appreciate the time you have taken to help and I did run your example. If I can figure out how, I would send you the map I'm working on if you want to see it. I just started working on it so it's only about 10% done but it shows the section in question.

59 minutes ago, Borg said:

I was suffering from DJIS, (Doom jargon ignorance syndrome).

I lol'd :D

59 minutes ago, Borg said:

If I can figure out how, I would send you the map I'm working on if you want to see it.

Sure. You're likely on Windows, so where ever you saved your wad, right click on it, a menu will appear, in the menu select "Compress to zip file".

Then when you reply to this post, there should be an option to Drag n' drop files, or choose files. Then place the .zip of your wad there.

You should see a + next to your uploaded file, click on the + to insert it into your post.

If you don't have the option to upload a file here, then you may not be able to yet depending either how new/old your account is as the forum has some restrictions like that.

Edit:

Anyways, as shown in the example, the other action to make the floor go down is 222.

If you make 2 more tall skinny sectors like the first one, but each one is higher than the next, the floor won't only move up to each next higher level but will also move down to each next floor level, depending on the height of those tall skinny sectors.

Edited by Mr.Rocket

40 minutes ago, Mr.Rocket said:

I lol'd :D

Sure. You're likely on Windows, so where ever you saved your wad, right click on it, a menu will appear, in the menu select "Compress to zip file".

Then when you reply to this post, there should be an option to Drag n' drop files, or choose files. Then place the .zip of your wad there.

You should see a + next to your uploaded file, click on the + to insert it into your post.

If you don't have the option to upload a file here, then you may not be able to yet depending either how new/old your account is as the forum has some restrictions like that.

Here it is. I stripped out the other 9 maps. Not ready to share just yet.

It's not designed for pistol start so I suggest IDFA to get to lift area. Kill everything and hit the switch in the pinky room. That opens the small door in the revenant area. Switch at the end of the hall raises lift. None of these floors have been developed but they have switches to get back down. The blue key card room is the end.

oops! Map is too big. I'll try getting rid of some music files to get it down to 25mb.

Not sure if you saw this but:

Anyways, as shown in the example, the other action to make the floor go down is 222.

If you make 2 more tall skinny sectors like the first one, but each one is higher than the next, the floor won't only move up to each next higher level but will also move down to each next floor level, depending on the height of those tall skinny sectors.

Let me know and I'll make an example of this if needed.

Here ya go, see if this will work for ya:

3_floors_example.zip

I just looked at the heights of your rooms and made that, I'm think'n that's what you were wanting to do anyway.

Edited by Mr.Rocket

That works except it stops at each floor. I didn't want the player to have that option. What it will eventually do is the player will have to deal with all kinds of shit on each floor, then find the switch which will give him access to the next floor down. I don't know if you noticed but the other floors are blocked on the way up. Key card is in the last floor. No access until he finishes the other 2.

You must be a speed mapper or something.

What I ended up doing works. I hope you didn't think I was still stuck.

Edited by Borg

Heh, no worries. Probably should update to a script then. 

Though it could still be setup differently, since those are just 2 switches per floor, a WR could call the floor up or down depending where the players at etc.. but you know, only so much can be done with basic SR/WR's.

1 hour ago, Borg said:

I don't know if you noticed but the other floors are blocked on the way up.

No I didn't, I just grabbed the heights and made that little example, it was pretty dark in there heh.

Wasn't sure of the scenario you had in mind, just wanted to see if using basic action types might achieve it.

And lol, I'm no speed mapper, though I was trying to get back to you asap since I had the feeling you were probably waiting.

1 hour ago, Borg said:

What I ended up doing works. I hope you didn't think I was still stuck.

Nah, I remembered you said you had a work around of some sort. Though, again I think scripting it in is probably what you're after.

10 minutes ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Heh, no worries. Probably should update to a script then. 

Though it could still be setup differently, since those are just 2 switches per floor, a WR could call the floor up or down depending where the players at etc.. but you know, only so much can be done with basic SR/WR's.

No I didn't, I just grabbed the heights and made that little example, it was pretty dark in there heh.

Wasn't sure of the scenario you had in mind, just wanted to see if using basic action types might achieve it.

And lol, I'm no speed mapper, though I was trying to get back to you asap since I had the feeling you were probably waiting.

Nah, I remembered you said you had a work around of some sort. Though, again I think scripting it in is probably what you're after.

Hexen and UDMF make it dead simple. Not going there just yet. I don't think that I've outgrown vanilla just yet. lol.

Thanks for the help.

And remember, anytime you help out a stranger he will remember you...............the next time he needs help.

6 minutes ago, Borg said:

And remember, anytime you help out a stranger he will remember you...............the next time he needs help.

lol that's exactly why my phone rings off the hook.