Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grimm

Picture Copyright Question

You'd have to ask the webmaster of that site to use pictures, and you'd have to ask the artsists that made those songs (or their record label).

if u are useing them for effects in doom maps i am sure it is ok, and if u ask i see no reason why they would object. as for those songs if they are to me map tracks i am sure there are midi's out you can use. as for the mp3's well thats a personal decision. I dont think anyone would sue because you used a song or picture in a doom map anyway

Silverwyvern said:

If you take something and change it by 30% it's legal, believe it or not.

I don't think that applies to everything.

Silverwyvern said:

/me downloads Vrack2 and changes it by 30% :)

How the heck do you judge a "percent" difference between two artistic works?

Silverwyvern said:

I dont think thats true. What you're probably thinking of is "fair use", where you can use portions of material if there is a legitimate fair use. For example, your post is your copyright but I'm using it in the context of a quote to reply to it by, which would count as fair use.

The deal is that no one is going to pursue copyright violations unless: 1: They know they are happening. 2: The work is esteemed to cause economic damage or misrepresent the original artist.

The high level of rippage in the Doom community is by no means legal. The ripped ones, however, rarely know because they never download wads or fail to care because they are not suffering any economic setbacks from the misusage. Those who actually know the dooming scene from the inside would be loath to inform anybody because they usually love the scene too much.

The rippage is silently tolerated because it doesn't pose a threat to anyone.

Hmmm. well all through college while drawing characters, every one of my teachers said it was true... so if you took Mickey Mouse (cliche but still) Gave him long ears, a pair or sandels and made his pants green. you'd be in the clear...

It's what I was told, not what I live by.. take it or leave it.

And it applies to drawings only, me thinks.

It is also legal to take other peoples work, crop it and another artistic work and make the clippings into something else...then sell it.

Hiya.

What your instructor was trying to get at, I believe, was that an *idea* can't be copyrighted. Also, he was trying to say that if you do like someone elses idea, you have to have enough of your own "twist" on it, or it could be deemed a "derivative work"; meaning that it's obvious that your work was based on theirs.

What was the quetion: "can I use" music and graphics from someone else? The way that the courts are going now, I wouldn't be surprised if the owner of those images sued you for even thinking about using them. The court system in the US is slowly imploding under it's own weight. Hopefully it will take all the lawyers with it. :)

Bottom line: Ask. Worst they can say is "no". Then you go to someone else. Eventually someone will say "Uh, whatever. Knock yourself out. Just give me credit somewhere." :)

Little Faith said:

The deal is that no one is going to pursue copyright violations unless: 1: They know they are happening. 2: The work is esteemed to cause economic damage or misrepresent the original artist.

I'll add one to that:
3: They consider that failure to pursue the matter will encourage further, more serious, violations in the future.

Silverwyvern: the 30% rule you mention might apply within particular contexts (parody being one, though I'm not aware of it ever being expressed as a percentage), but certainly isn't any sort of general principle. Copyright issues are a minefield.

pming said:

Bottom line: Ask. Worst they can say is "no". Then you go to someone else. Eventually someone will say "Uh, whatever. Knock yourself out. Just give me credit somewhere." :)

Heh.. and if anyone is -looking- for music to borrow, Men Without Hats seems to let you use their music for anything ;)

During our final term you had but to ask and you got music for your demo reel ;)