Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
molecicco

[GZDoom] DOOM CE: PSX TC & D64 Retribution, overhauled

This is such an amazing adaptation of console dooms (PS1, and N64) for GZDoom! It's nice that you were able to use GEC Master Edition to add gradient lighting to Doom 64 Retribution. I love playing with the "enhanced colors" which has the environmental dynamic lights and gradient lights put together. Oh and those PBR textures really enhance the moodiness I think.

There is so much to talk about with this adaptation, but as a super obsessed Doom 64 fan it hits the right spots. Great job in porting Z0k's Episode 1 and Antnee's Beta 64 as well!

This is awesome work.  Thank you for including my wad in this!!

I am trying to get it to generate the Doom64 iwad, but am getting an error from the .bat stating that it could not generate the iwad, and to make sure that it has not been modified before trying to patch

However, my steam installation is untouched.  Any thoughts?

41 minutes ago, Antnee said:

This is awesome work.  Thank you for including my wad in this!!

I am trying to get it to generate the Doom64 iwad, but am getting an error from the .bat stating that it could not generate the iwad, and to make sure that it has not been modified before trying to patch

However, my steam installation is untouched.  Any thoughts?

Is your Steam DOOM64.WAD unaltered? Since the patcher works based on deltas, it has to be the exact file as the one downloaded from Steam. For example, if you've been playing The UnMaking, its patcher edits the wad to add new resources, so it won't work with that.

By the way, porting Beta 64 was very tricky because the engine differences showed way more than in the other map sets... so expect harmless bugs (it is completable though). I'll likely iterate on it with what users report.

I know there are differences between the gamepass and steam/bethesda IWADs (primarily a chaingun change). @Antnee I will have to investigate your issue, going to send you a DM!

for me this port doom and the best of what I have played you did a good job Molecicco I encourage you to continue !

I also plan to make new map packs compatible for PSX DOOM CE or DOOM 64 in the future, but for the moment i'm focusing on new map packs for PSX DOOM CE.

here is my campaign list I must ported for PSX DOOM CE

-FALLEN EARTH (33 maps) soon

-The Forgotten Chapter (11 maps)

-Innocence X Edition (26 maps)

-Fall of triton remake (40 maps)

-Threshold of pain  (12 maps)

-Threshold of pain 2 (7 maps)

my goal is to add more new campaigns for DOOM CE to have even more fun playing !

DOOM CE my favorite mod <3

I fixed my own issue, just to be certain I deleted my D64 installation, then made Steam reinstall it.  I must have dinked with it or something.  It works now.

Initial observations:  I *really* like the small atmospheric touches, like the monitor static sounds and the water.

I am seeing though that literally none of the door runners are unpegged (the textures all move with the doors)

Is there a way to turn off the damage arrows?  I find those really distracting  EDIT Nevermind, it's in "features" not in "settings"

All In all this is super exciting and I'm so happy this is happening!

Edited by Antnee

Very impressive. Two things I'd like to see are an option to toggle the Saturn version's status bar and an addon with MAPINFO lumps that skip the PSX lost levels.

2 hours ago, Antnee said:

I am seeing though that literally none of the door runners are unpegged (the textures all move with the doors)

Oh lmao those completely slipped by. It's one of those engine differences that can't be translated automatically to gzdoom, to solve it I have to do manual map edits and create tiny triangle sectors that surround each door runner so their height doesn't change with the door.

1 hour ago, SiFi270 said:

Two things I'd like to see are an option to toggle the Saturn version's status bar and an addon with MAPINFO lumps that skip the PSX lost levels.

Sounds like something that could be implemented as small optional submods, I'll keep that in mind.

WHAT?!  So Zdoom doesn't have "upper unpegged" as a sidedef property?  That can't be right...

24 minutes ago, Antnee said:

WHAT?!  So Zdoom doesn't have "upper unpegged" as a sidedef property?  That can't be right...

Oops I meant for the vertically splitting doors. I had to do some hacking around in ZScript to port Doom 64's "vertical door" flag (mostly) seamlessly, and neither "unpegged" flag works there (not exactly sure why though).

The regular doors are fine, though for some reason they have to be set with "Lower unpegged" instead of "Upper unpegged" like they are in the original maps. I still missed that when porting.

I admit I only discovered PS Doom earlier this year (despite being into Doom since its release), but I ended up liking it a lot more than I thought I would. This seems like a really cool project. I really like how modular the features are, pure vanilla for those who wants, gigabytes of addons for those who want that, and everything in-between, everyone's happy!

I'm curious, since you brought up GEC Master Edition. Was one of the reasons for adapting the code from there to try and make all the features of that project workable in current GZDoom without relying on the modified 1.9.1?

Got it.

So another bug, Gamma Lab in Beta64 plays a music that is not at all similar to anything OST, it sounds like some other MIDI?

46 minutes ago, brick said:

I admit I only discovered PS Doom earlier this year (despite being into Doom since its release), but I ended up liking it a lot more than I thought I would. This seems like a really cool project. I really like how modular the features are, pure vanilla for those who wants, gigabytes of addons for those who want that, and everything in-between, everyone's happy!

I'm curious, since you brought up GEC Master Edition. Was one of the reasons for adapting the code from there to try and make all the features of that project workable in current GZDoom without relying on the modified 1.9.1?

My goal was to have as much as I could working with mainline GZDoom without modifying its source code, as an experiment to see how far I could push it with ZScript and other bleeding edge GZDoom goodies. Turns out it was a lot!

44 minutes ago, Antnee said:

Got it.

So another bug, Gamma Lab in Beta64 plays a music that is not at all similar to anything OST, it sounds like some other MIDI?

Seems like Beta64 has a few bugs, it might be better to post them in chunks because I suspect you're going to keep finding them :D

These are others that have been reported so far and I have to look into:

- Disposal Center: Can exit the map skipping the final shootout

- Sector R: Weird black sector

- Profane Paradise: Script error trying to get a secret by pushing a wall

- Profane Paradise: Texture glitching in the sky after the first teleport

- Pain Warren: Missing door railing textures of one door

- Pain Warren: Floating giblet decoration

EDIT: Just double checked and Gamma Lab is playing the proper track (Bleep Spawn), but if you are playing with the Full version and the BGM.Extended addon is present, it will play Aubrey Hodges' extended version, which sounds a bit different.

Edited by molecicco

Since GZDoomVR recently got updated to the 4.7.1 release I'm gonna check this out in VR very soon, Doom 64 in VR is gonna be a trip!

I've been playing with some of the earlier builds a while ago. Super fucking solid stuff here mate! And this is coming from me, a semi vanilla purist.

I'm also happy to see the N64 3 point filtering and PSX aspect ratio correction applied here. Just small touches like that are awesome.

Just double checked and Gamma Lab is playing the proper track (Bleep Spawn), but if you are playing with the Full version and the BGM.Extended addon is present, it will play Aubrey Hodges' extended version, which sounds a bit different.

So, what is happening is that every level past 5 will start with a completely random track, that SOUNDS like it's a Doom2/Final Doom MIDI.  Once that track completes, then it goes into the normal Doom64 OST.

8 minutes ago, Antnee said:

So, what is happening is that every level past 5 will start with a completely random track, that SOUNDS like it's a Doom2/Final Doom MIDI.  Once that track completes, then it goes into the normal Doom64 OST.

Ah lol I see what's happening. There's this very cursed feature that lets you play with PC-style midis that fade into the usual dark ambient ones. You must have enabled it without realizing it (probably chose the exaggerated preset which enables it).

To bring it back to normal, go to the Features menu > Audio Features, and set "Music Style" to "Console". Also set "Play Both Music Styles" to "No". Then choose the "Change Music Style Now" option to apply the changes immediately.

I feel some of those tracks don't fit at all, but apparently some people like the feature, so...

15 hours ago, VanaheimRanger said:

Since GZDoomVR recently got updated to the 4.7.1 release I'm gonna check this out in VR very soon, Doom 64 in VR is gonna be a trip!

I've briefly tested it and it works reasonably well but you have to make some adjustments. First of all you should disable Screen Tilting, Motion Blur and Weapon Sway. When they are enabled, shaking of the screen could make you easily sick in VR. Also, when I was playing with default speed 30hz sometimes there was a stutter, so I had to increased it to 35hz. And of course the world scale should be increased to at least 48 from default 32, otherwise sprites look gigantic.

Edited by hari

Doom CE is in the running for ModDB's Mod of the Year and could use your vote! If you have tried it out you can see he put his heart, soul, and particularly sanity into this project. There is a day left to vote! If you want to vote for this project, do it here: https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-ce

10 hours ago, hari said:

I've briefly tested it and it works reasonably well but you have to make some adjustments. First of all you should disable Screen Tilting, Motion Blur and Weapon Sway. When they are enabled, shaking of the screen could make you easily sick in VR. Also, when I was playing with default speed 30hz sometimes there was a stutter, so I had to increased it to 35hz. And of course the world scale should be increased to at least 48 from default 32, otherwise sprites look gigantic.

I play seated and so I usually max out the world scale for height reasons.  But yea those other things will definitely need to be disabled, I don't get motion sickness in VR anymore, like, at all, but I can definitely see them being distracting.

On 12/9/2021 at 9:40 AM, hari said:

Does the Unmaker work in VR? I've no idea how gzdoomvr works, but I've seen some videos and it looks like it uses 3d weapon replacements, which would override the custom ones provided by this mod (regular weapons also have speed/damage tweaks here)

12 hours ago, molecicco said:

Does the Unmaker work in VR? I've no idea how gzdoomvr works, but I've seen some videos and it looks like it uses 3d weapon replacements, which would override the custom ones provided by this mod (regular weapons also have speed/damage tweaks here)

The Unmaker works well but I'm not using any 3d weapon packs. I've just replaced gzdoom.exe with the latest gzdoomvr.exe. If somebody decides to use an additional weapon pack it will probably indeed breaks the mod.

I'm really enjoing playing DoomCE, thank you for your hard work. I've waited for a proper Doom64 conversion to be able to play it in VR.

This looks very cool and well made! Glad to see so much content for both versions of the game supported, and Doom 64 IWAD support as well, that's brilliant! I'll definitely be checking this out :D

I run linux because my windows installation runs at a tortoise's pace, how can I patch my steam DOOM64 wad without having to use wine or a virtual machine?

5 hours ago, Donowa said:

I run linux because my windows installation runs at a tortoise's pace, how can I patch my steam DOOM64 wad without having to use wine or a virtual machine?

You can use this website to apply patches: https://www.marcrobledo.com/RomPatcher.js/

There should be instructions with CE which give instructions on using .bps patches and patching the WAD.

14 minutes ago, Donowa said:

yeah but the steam wad is patched via a bat file, not a bps for the n64 rom

There is a bps file in one of the folders with CE which you use the website I linked above to patch the steam wad. Here is a video on how its done: 

What Immorpher posted should at least let you play the mod, however you won't get the Lost Levels episode.

For that, the .bat installer does a complicated process of extracting some lumps from the Steam IWAD, patching them and reassembling them into something that gzdoom and my mod can autoload and play. Since you are a Linux user, it shouldn't be hard to just look inside the .bat and figure out how to do it manually ;) (though windows batch syntax is indeed awful). The only issue would be that I use WadEX (https://github.com/AyrA/WADex) for extracting which is Windows-only, but you could use something like Slade instead.

Edited by molecicco