Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gibbon

Introducing RZDoom (Retro ZDoom) 3.0.1 - Updated April 17 2022

ZDoom retro, huh? Interesting.

So, one issue that pretty much all ZDoom-based ports have always suffered from is how they handle text/menu asset scaling. Like, all of Doom's assets were designed with non-square pixels (1:1.2 wxh ratio) in mind. Meanwhile, ZDoom renders all of them (except the status bar) with square pixels (1:1), which causes everything to look vertically squished.

That being said, is there any chance you could fix it?

24 minutes ago, Xaser said:

It's been a while since I've looked at this, so I need to comb through it again and come up with a list of suggestions, but would you consider changing some of the defaults so it's a closer-to-Doom experience out-of-the-box? Funny enough, the port already solves a bunch of these already by not having the GL renderer (GZDoom's default rendering options are way far from how the software renderer looks), so that's one victory already. :P

Agreed, this would be nice to see as well.

59 minutes ago, Xaser said:

Hmm, if this port is based on 2.9pre, that means it has at least some level of ZScript support, right? Having just the basics is still a gigantic step up from 2.8.1 DECORATE, so this might be an interesting thing for mods to target.

No, that's ZZDoom not RZDoom. xD

This was based initially on 2.9pre but that ZScript version was completely broken/incomplete. Gibbon then based it on 2.8.1 but he did not reset the branch.

Actually GZDoom now is more vanilla than ZDoom ever was.

Gee, another Gibbon source port, what a madlad.

11 hours ago, Gibbon said:

More Gibbing!

About this, I was wondering: does such a feature *need* to be built-in? I don't quite know what this version of ZDoom is capable of, but I'd assume that something like Sprinked's Insane Gibbing, and maybe even Nugget's Extra Gibbing, could be handed by a mod in this case.

Makes me think, actually:

Nugget's Extra Gibbing setting needs it to be coded in because of being specific to some weapons, and requiring distance checks.

However, Nugget's GIBBERS cheat and Sprinkled's Insane Gibbing setting I believe could also be handled by a simple DeHackEd mod that makes the monster's normal death state be replaced with the gibbing state. Hell, you could take it further and add gibs to other monsters on the way.

For context, the former cheat and the latter setting I think have more or less the same effect: everything gibs.

Then again, and as I said with Sprinkled, this is not my port. Gibbon shall decide.

Regardless, cheers and good luck!

2 hours ago, Xaser said:

Huh, this is interesting -- something that's been on my mind for a while now is that most of ZDoom's "it's super-inaccurate" reputation is because of poor choices of default settings more than anything else. There's plenty of compat/gameplay options that, with a bit of fiddling, can let you configure the port to be Close Enough(tm) to the base game that all but the most geeky of users won't be able to tell the difference (excluding multiplayer and demos).

It's been a while since I've looked at this, so I need to comb through it again and come up with a list of suggestions, but would you consider changing some of the defaults so it's a closer-to-Doom experience out-of-the-box? Funny enough, the port already solves a bunch of these already by not having the GL renderer (GZDoom's default rendering options are way far from how the software renderer looks), so that's one victory already. :P

[EDIT] Hmm, if this port is based on 2.9pre, that means it has at least some level of ZScript support, right? Having just the basics is still a gigantic step up from 2.8.1 DECORATE, so this might be an interesting thing for mods to target.

It is 2.8.1.

Which kinds of defaults are you thinking?  I set a bunch to make it like ReBOOM on first start so my personal defaults are fairly classic-feeling ones.  I'm more than happy to change whatever defaults, they are pretty jarring currently, especially the controls.

Love this idea, as well as @Xaser's suggestions. It would be wonderful to have an actively-updated ZDoom-based port that doesn't change the look of Doom to such an extent as GZDoom does out of the box.

Perhaps I'll use this instead of vanilla ZDoom because of the extra features, pretty much like I did with Sprinkled over chocolate.

Good luck with the development, hope to see this project grow in the future ;-)

Gonna put this to some good use, excited at the concept.

*Zdoom ports have taken a number of grand strides, it's cool to see somebody is giving them a bit of a trim, buff, and polish.

As a Canadian, I commend you on the RZed decision. Couldn't have people going around calling this Arsey-Doom now, could we? ;)

Alright, what do you think of this icon?

Spoiler

rzdoom.png.08b61177a53a076e5c592375d793b90b.png

I knocked it up in a few minutes..  I'm no artist, but it is somewhat similar to the rounded stuff of GZ/QZ/ZD.

4 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

Personally, while I think it could work for now, it feels like it's lacking essence. Perhaps a synthwave-y edit of the ZDoom logo (with the added "R", obviously) could work better, despite lacking originality.

9 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

Damn how the hell do you do that!

There's this thing on the Microsoft Store called Photoscape X I've been using for a while, and I made a red template about 500x500, and I added a circle and the text (plus the text shadow and outline). The font is just called Doom, but I'd have to look it up to remember where I found it.

Edit 2: Nvm, I think this was the right one:https://www.dafont.com/doom.font

Edited by Eddie 2077 : Added info +2

Great, I'll see if anyone else does an icon too and if not, I'll use yours (with credit of course).

Since I tried making a funny logo for the Neapolitan Doom port, I could give it a go. Here's my version, Gibb. Basically my own interpretation of what Eddie was going for, but I went with a more minimalist approach so not too much detail gets lost when it looks heaps smaller as an executable.

OBZWOXx.png

I've been having @Dragonfly consult on it a little, so I revised it a litte to give it more depth.

wpziYcm.png

I'm honestly well out of my depth with this sort of thing, but hey, I flunked Design class back at university, so I'll cut myself a little slack. :^P

Edited by Biodegradable

Love the icons!

This will be tough to choose soon.

So today I spent some time getting the code to compile and run on 32bit Linux (with 64bit capable) ARM CPUs.  No specific optimisations yet but it runs.  To test it I used the crappiest computer I have.  A first gen base-model RPI3..

I uploaded a binary on the release page (install the dependencies yourself) so nobody has to wait the 48 minutes for the compilation :)

Edited by Gibbon : reducing the typographical fluff

7 hours ago, Gibbon said:

Hide contents

rzdoom.png.08b61177a53a076e5c592375d793b90b.png

I knocked it up in a few minutes..  I'm no artist, but it is somewhat similar to the rounded stuff of GZ/QZ/ZD.

forgive me if i'm wrong, but doesn't zdoom have a doom marine as its icon? i'd like to attach a screenshot but i have no clue how to. assuming i don't have some weird version of zdoom installed on all my devices, wouldnt it make more sense to make an icon instead based on that, rather than gzdooms icon (gzdooms icon being of course "gz" in a small circle)?

Just now, JackBoi said:

forgive me if i'm wrong, but doesn't zdoom have a doom marine as its icon? i'd like to attach a screenshot but i have no clue how to. assuming i don't have some weird version of zdoom installed on all my devices, wouldnt it make more sense to make an icon instead based on that, rather than gzdooms icon?

Yes it does, and I never really liked it.  I mean, what did it symbolise exactly?  It was an icon that did not give anything to ZDoom.  Just a standard green marine.  Was a little bit boring wasn't it?

2 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

Yes it does, and I never really liked it.  I mean, what did it symbolise exactly?  It was an icon that did not give anything to ZDoom.  Just a standard green marine.  Was a little bit boring wasn't it?

guess i just have some weird attraction to it since it was the first sourceport i ever used, and as such i've seen it a million times by now. its not that big of a deal though, i can just change the icon to whatever i want anyways.

1 minute ago, JackBoi said:

guess i just have some weird attraction to it since it was the first sourceport i ever used, and as such i've seen it a million times by now. its not that big of a deal though, i can just change the icon to whatever i want anyways.

I was always of the opposite mind; it felt entirely lazy and temporary to me. :P

13 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

Edit: For the smaller sizes I'd suggest a non-circle variant. Here it is in monochrome from 128x128 down to 24x24.

wait, can you make different icons appear at different sizes?

Not sure on Windows but on Mac you can create an iconset that will use specific sizes if needed.