Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eternal_

The Failed Experiment (T.F.E.) - My New Wad

Hello everyone!

I made this wad back in March - April and it's one of my first works.

I eventually left it unfinished when I had some problems merging texture packs (I used too many of them, now I know what not to do lol), so recently I decided to come back and finish this wad because I put a lot of effort into it back in the day and I didn't want it to be in vain.

It consists of 2 maps.

T.F.E. Also includes:

• New weapons
  • New sounds
  • New monsters

*Built in UDMF*

-Jumping and crouching is allowed

Additional Credits: The realm667 community and especially Ola Björling for the OTEX texture pack.

Download: TFE

Let me know what you think about it!

Screenshot_Doom_20211206_161645.png

Screenshot_Doom_20211206_161825.png

Screenshot_Doom_20211206_161844.png

Edited by ProYT

These maps are pretty solid, though I found your use of blocklines to be rather annoying, especially around just little gaps and such. Just makes the maps more difficult to move around, especially if you're in the middle of a fight. Their layout and progression is decent, though the combat is a little hum-drum at points, though not terribly boring, I promise. Honestly, my biggest complaint is the Realm667 stuff, mainly the weapons. They just felt really clunky and the animations were really slow, making them a chore to use. I also found they didn't really benefit from much in the terms of QoL changes besides the Assault Rifle, so using them felt more of a hindrance than anything else. I also didn't understand why you had the regular shotgun AND a different sprite variant rather than replacing the regular shotgun with the variant. That seemed like an odd choice given the sprite variant does nothing different in terms of speed, accuracy or damage. Overall, not bad. Just needs some tweaking.

Thanks for the feedback!
I will keep that in mind for the next time, especially the use of blocklines.

Edited by ProYT

Tested it on UV.

You did quite a good job with both texture and architecture here.

The main red and black theme is very fitting I'd say.

I found both maps quite balanced (maybe too ammo, except at the start), some traps are maybe too easy, since you can escape them with no effort, but I think you did a decent job with monster placement: you could definitely improve it, cause some monsters are just useless in some paces.
You made good use of custom monsters too: you didn't go rampage with overpowered dudes or boring/annoying ones, they fit quite well I'd say.

Except for that sentry bot... it shoots oneshot-onekill grenades like they were confits.

You forgot to disable jump/crouch, so I "cheated" early in the game, then I noticed you definitely didn't want jump enable (write it in the description here and maybe in the txt file please).

I think you forgot to add some animation here 

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20211209_230733.png.7f7071ab2dff6e69a219f64ae43fc3c1.png

cause the lava is not moving at all.

I found a tons of "invisible walls" that I cannot see the point in having. I always tend to avoid blocking linedef with no midtexture, cause 1st they're annoying and 2nd ruin the "immersion". They are not even used to save the player from inescapable pits most of the times, so I don't get it.

Another thing that I found a bit off was the fact that sometimes, some door are openable just by pressing them and sometimes they need a switch.
It's usually a good thing to have doors with the same texture to be opened always in the same way through a map.

About the weapons:

• Pistol: I cannot find a sense about why it's the only one, with the grenade launcher, with right-sided HUD sprites. I think it doesn't fit at all if all the other weapons are doom-like centered.
  • Shotgun: I do really hate the custom sound here. It sounds like a kid's firecracker, it doesn't give any gun power feel (the same goes for the chaingun)
  • Supershotgun: nice texture, I like it and I loved its sound and shaking right after the shot, what I didn't like was the animation here. With almost no recoil, the weapon feels a bit off.
  • Assault Rifle: mmm that's quite frankly too OP in my opinion. You cannot have a simple and easy to replenish gun that shoots this fast, the stunlock on monsters is too unbalanced.
  • Grenade Launcher: Cool addition, I liked it (a part from the hud sprites). An advice though: I'd remove the autoaim on it, cause the grenades will always aim for the monster's feet and sometimes it's quite hard to aim properly or do some damage.
  • Plasma: I think you forgot to add a weapon sound when shooting, I could only here the projectile sound.

Overall the levels are entertaining, I didn't feel bored at all, both visually and technically, despite the imperfections I find this a good couple of map that I'd love to see more refined, the same goes for the other custom stuff.

Edited by Kan3

It's twenty days after you messaged me but here you go :)

I noticed the weird blocking lines as well, but I love the style of it, both in the techbase and hell scenarios!