Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Major Arlene

The 2021 Cacowards

@Major Arlene Thank you very much for writing all these articles for Cacowards! Personally, I would go nuts trying to share the best out of my impressions on those dozens of topics.

Congratz for all the winners, runner-ups and the team behind the Cacowards!

Definitely a year with so much outputs, so I loved the idea to add the "21 more" and the soundtrack sections. Great to see that "Atmospheric Extiction", "Perpetual Powers" and "Cydonia" got mentioned, which were works that I also enjoyed a lot!

It's nice @romsu89 was mentioned twice in Cacowards 2021 :))

I remember when he sent me his megawad on Facebook before the release and I didn't know him yet, so I expected it to be very bad... I started playing and holy moly :D So detailed maps :)

Anyway, congratulations the winners and all mentioned people

49 minutes ago, Peter said:

The Plutonia MIDI Pack 10000% deserves to retroactively be awarded a 2013 Cacoward. This MIDI pack from a brilliant pool of talent in the Doom community completely changes how you get to experience the Plutonia IWAD. It was the first time we ever got to experience a community made MIDI pack for Doom. It's absolutely shocking how it never received one yet lives on as what has become an essential add-on for Plutonia.

Without this MIDI pack, I'd never have made the Master Levels MIDI pack or lead the No Rest For The Living MIDI pack.

Bringing in the oldest and the newest talent in the community this year to bring everyone well over a hundred original songs of high quality deserves more than a half-arsed brief mention on a sidebar.

I would tend to agree with you.  It is unfortunately still heavily biased towards mapsets rather than other artistic areas like MIDI's.  I can say, NRFTL is unplayable without that MIDI pack.

I would say, each area that is currently on Cacowards should all have a 'top twelve' to go with it.  So top 12 maps, midi's, wads, coders etc..  Otherwise it kind of feels like it is tacked-on rather than something truly appreciated.

20 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

I would say, each area that is currently on Cacowards should all have a 'top twelve' to go with it.  So top 12 maps, midi's, wads, coders etc..  Otherwise it kind of feels like it is tacked-on rather than something truly appreciated.

Given how substantial the uptick in quality the community has managed to deliver over the past few years, I reckon the Cacoaward committee will indeed have to shake up the formula a bit, introduce some new awards and expand its scope a bit in terms of contribution categories. Perhaps even bring in a few more judges/writers to help out. We've already seen it with the Silver Cacoaward for runner-ups, let's see what else we can come up with!

Edited by Biodegradable

4 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

While I understand what you mean, this isn't really realistic for a couple of reasons. For example, some categories, like music, get considerably fewer releases than others. For another, I was the only dedicated Gameplay Mod judge this year (although thankfully the rest of the team helped where they could!) and I can't say I'm in a position, both life and skill-wise, to churn out... uhh... 600 words x 12... ~7,200 words about mods without the vast majority of those words sucking! Or, for that matter, anyone reading them.

ah fuck I missed it

Very nice to see stewboy work at Heartland, definitely one of my favorite soundtracks this year

Also @Endless when's the next wadazine came out?

Edited by lokbustam257

Congratulations to all of the winners, and good job to all the writers. A remarkable year of amazing high quality releases.

I've been a @Xaser fangirl since I joined the community, so saying he left "fingerprints" in my work is a bit of an understatement. Other than that, hugely well-deserved award.

Also huge congrats to @Jekyll Grim Payne for that gameplay award. Painslayer is one hell of a beast, both from the perspective of a player and a modder. There's some crazy work going on under the hood in there, and I'm very much impressed.

Thanks for the awards for Fractured Worlds and Haste, big shoutout to Scotty and Gazebo for FW and all the contributors to Haste, was a fun year of Doom. Also thanks to Demon of the Well for the fantastic write-ups, always a pleasure to read his words!

Also Down the Drain was easily my number one pick this year so I certainly wished it had won, but we can't have it all I guess.

Edited by Nirvana

53 minutes ago, Marisa Kirisame said:

I've been a @Xaser fangirl since I joined the community, so saying he left "fingerprints" in my work is a bit of an understatement. Other than that, hugely well-deserved award.

for reference, the strong sense of fingerprints as attributes/traits/etc. it's not meant as understatement. 

1 hour ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

21 for 21 was a great idea. Giving recognition to those slightly peripheral projects is only a good thing

Tbh a lot of them aren’t even slightly peripheral - MSCP to give one example could have easily got a gold in another year imo.

In a way, I see the ‘winners’ as gold cacowards, the ‘runners-up’ as silver cacowards and the ‘21 for 21’ as bronze cacowards - if you see your content anywhere in the cacowards, then you won a cacoward.

Also this year is so packed that there are a number of other excellent releases - you gave one example in Deadtech, Axolotl strikes me as probably one of the most creative releases this year, and Festering Cesspool gave me a feeling of immersion I very rarely experience when playing Doom.

8 minutes ago, rd. said:

for reference, the strong sense of fingerprints as attributes/traits/etc. it's not meant as understatement. 

I know, I just feel in my case it's more like straight-up full handprints stamped on the fresh cement that was my modding career when I first started.

I was just a lil' teen at the time, I looked up at this absolute madman and went "he's so cool, I want to be like him". I'm not lying when I say that out of everyone in the community, he's been one if not the biggest inspiration and influence in my work.

3 hours ago, Peter said:

The Plutonia MIDI Pack 10000% deserves to retroactively be awarded a 2013 Cacoward.

For a few years now, there's been talk of a special feature--similar to "to missed awards"--which would examine the best music from 2004-2020. It's a bit challenging since earlier music output by the community was sporadic and relegated to just a small handful of creators.

Good read, agreeable choices (for the few that I recognised at least), only complaint I have is that the one for Tarnsman's Projectile Hell spelled Kirisame wrong.

I bet Cacowards 2021 will be the thing I would watch instead of Game Awards 2021. Good job to the winners and maybe, the first year of Doom for me

Congratulations to all of the winners/mentions and thank you for all of the awesome content you created this year!

8 hours ago, RomDump said:

I might sound like a sore loser, but this is a real problem. There has been a trend in mapping to do everything possible to keep modders of of there maps. Either by using dehacked assets or the eternity engine which is designed specially to counter mods. That might be an unfair assumption to make, but it really feels that way.

I know you apologised, and I doubt this was your intention anyway - but damn, reading this made me feel bad for packing (practically) all my mapsets / community projects with built-in gameplay mods. It never occurred to me that people might think I’m trying to say “screw your mod, no fun allowed in my mapset!!” (definitely not what I want, mod it to your hearts content!) 

While they’re almost never “standalone mods”, I think of myself as a modder as much as I am a mapper..

I know DeHackEd “doesn’t count” in the eyes of many since it’s so limited, and many don’t even consider it vanilla either. Poor thing sits in this undefined limbo of Doom editing..

Everyone asks, “is DeHackEd vanilla”, but no one ever asks “how is DeHackEd?” 😔

ok I’m gonna stop half sarcastically ranting now, literally both of my posts are pure BS, I’m tipsy, it’s the after party, what the heck do you people want from me?!?!

5 minutes ago, Terminus said:

Silver Cacowards is definitely my favorite new addition to this year's article - It feels so much more special than "Runner-up" status and having it appear side by side to the actual top 10 12 is definitely their deserved spot. I couldn't disagree with a single award this year even if I tried.

(Although I do agree with Bridgeburner on the technical portion that it's not mentioned anywhere else other than actually getting in the award page itself, this should definitely be fixed so these amazing projects don't get skipped by accident.)

I love this community so fucking much.

QFTING this and now I’m done for really really real this time!!

great write-ups & lots of picks I have to catch up on <3 thanks to Demon of the Well for the nod and rd for organizing that 21 extras section!