Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dac

[Community Project] Thirty Monsters Challenge [See you in the other thread!]

2 minutes ago, lokbustam257 said:

also, some question: Is it okay if I use Boom-compatible if MBF21 confuse me?

You got it a bit wrong: MBF21 isn't UDMF, it's an expanded version of Boom and MBF. You can find the specifications here.

And while I'll add you to the list, I won't straight up give you map31 - as mentioned, I want those spots filled by mappers I can trust, and your self-deprecation does not inspire that. Just make a good map, no need to call it low effort before laying a single line.

Given that im busy atm with lots of maps i shouldn't be doing a claim... but im interested in contributing a map

11 minutes ago, dac said:

You got it a bit wrong: MBF21 isn't UDMF, it's an expanded version of Boom and MBF. You can find the specifications here.

And while I'll add you to the list, I won't straight up give you map31 - as mentioned, I want those spots filled by mappers I can trust, and your self-deprecation does not inspire that. Just make a good map, no need to call it low effort before laying a single line.

fair enough

I'd like to claim a slot.  I won't be able to start working on it until later this month but that'll be plenty of time.

1 hour ago, ViolentBeetle said:

By the way, since everything that supports MBF21 also supports UMAPINFO, there's no need to be bound to the 32 maps format.

Really? I was planning on having a main 32 mapset and a bonus one, but if we can have everything in one big package (and split it into episodes if needed), that's even better.

Posting more details later today. Needless to say I'm rather overwhelmed by how popular this is, and I'll do everything to make this community project a memorable one.

(Also I haven't forgotten about Solar Struggle! Had a bit less time than anticipated for it, but I hope to have something for the next build 😃)

15 minutes ago, dac said:

Really? I was planning on having a main 32 mapset and a bonus one, but if we can have everything in one big package (and split it into episodes if needed), that's even better.

I never tried doing it, but considering there's a free progression and option to disable the game's ending you should be able to cover any tag and define any succession normal and secret if necessary.

1 minute ago, Engired said:

I'd like to do something, can I claim a spot?

Sure! With the new UMAPINFO knowledge, welcome aboard!

As said, I'll reorder maps for difficulty. Just like, make map!

I've been dabbling in mapping a bit and have something that might be good for this. It's still unfinished, textures, etc need work, but it has 30 monsters and can be completed. I wanted to have something to show off before claiming a spot, since I haven't released any maps to the public before. If there are still slots available and this is what you are looking for I can finish it off. Rough cut version is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D7gxWqFO972uOr4u_6d_WIYBOklZ1yiz/view?usp=sharing

In less than 24 hours the project have 50 comments and more than 32 maps claimed!!

Ha! My outrage became a hell of a clickbait xD

Well, it doesn't matter I'm glad the idea worked out.

Limiting monsters type was a good idea, initially I thought about a max of one cyber or spider mastermind but I didn't write it.

For this kind of maps I recommend taking a look to my map or the map of @Insane_Gazebo in Haste. He give me the idea of using an instant teleport that works almost like a script. It's pretty useful if you want to see a bunch of enemies appear at once. 

Edit: a screenshot of Sunder map 20 where you can see it

unknown.png

Edit2: umapinfo is pretty useful for DSDA and Woof but you will need to duplicate its content in MapInfo if you want to disallow jump/crouch in gzdoom.

Edited by Noise

Eeey, Just finished my map. :)

30mc_LGmaire

Map Name: Marine's Snowiest Base (MSB)

Author: LGmaire.

Theme: Generic Snowy Techbase.

Music: 'Ice' by Dial Up For Murder.

Difficulty Settings: Fully Implemented.

Ports Tested: DSDA doom, Zdoom.

Description: 'After cleaning all the mess you made in the last map you decide to go back to your very generic snowy techbase that you call home, only to find out that it has been taken over by the demons!' I was listening to 'Ice' by Dial Up For Murder and I got inspired to make this generic lookin' snowy techbase, it shouldn't be too difficult, quite a simple map.

Notes: I think I went a bit too wild with the custom textures... Map number is map04 by the way.

Now if you excuse me, I must post some screenshots I got in Zdoom.

Spoiler

image.png.9ea961b666395e534a4712995db51c75.png

image.png.19a6b82bd239566fcf5f82b9aa0c84fc.png

image.png.6b3dc335bab1f9560ecfcb16492a8ff1.png

Feedback would be appreciated. :)

Edited by LGmaire

Hey there @dac !

Saw that thread popping up on my feed not long ago, and I'd like to participate to the project alongside everyone else :D

Thank you in advance :)

On 12/11/2021 at 2:40 AM, dac said:

This is a continuation of the other thread about making maps with only 30 monsters, but with more rules in some places, less rules in other places and, uh, a more stable host. So without further ado, welcome to the THIRTY MONSTERS CHALLENGE (probably will put some cooler graphics here bear with me)

Setup

It's quite simple: make a map with thirty monsters in it - no more, no less. We will be mapping for the doom2 IWAD on MBF21 compatibility, targeting DSDA-Doom as our main source port, and using 32in24-15tex as our resource pack.mostly I'm tired of OTEX and wanted to try something (old)new

Soft deadline is March 21st - all mappers should have submitted a beta of their maps at that point. We'll spend more time after that for testing and refining, but overall we should be ready to release before June 2022.

Rules - This is where it's gonna get a bit more orderly for the good functioning of this project.

a) All difficulties must be implemented. I won't ask for initial releases to be fully featured, but keep this in mind as we gear up for a release candidate.

b) Maps should have more than three different monster types in them. In additions, there should be no more than five arch-viles or barons, and no more than two cyberdemons or spiderdemons. Just a little something for more variety and less dickery.

c) Keep your maps small. Ribbiks's Crumpets is a good sample of how big your maps should be. (save for its final map)

d) No low effort, obviously. Don't force yourself for the masterpiece, this is a small project after all, but don't just shit out Congestion 512 meets nuts.wad.

e) Keep the difficulty reasonable.  The original thread asked for hard maps, but let's make something enjoyable for everyone.

Slots

Just tag me in this thread to apply. There is no need to ask for a specific slot, but if you feel like it, go ahead - keep in mind we'll reorder maps around for a proper difficulty curve. Also if there are secret maps, they and MAP15 will be given to trustworthy people. We won't be doing anything special for MAP07.

UPDATE: If we use UMAPINFO, then there won't be any secret maps.

1. @dac - [lead] - [in progress]
  2. @BiZ - [claimed] - [in progress]
  3. @galileo31dos01 - [claimed]
  4. @LGmaire - [claimed] - [Done!]
  5. @Obsidian - [Done!]
  6. @Bobby “lolmcswagger”  - [claimed]
  7. @cannonball  - [probable]
  8. @Bri - [claimed]
  9. @MFG38 - [claimed]
  10. @Dunn (& Dunn) - [claimed]
  11. @Walter confetti - [claimed]
  12. @SCF - [claimed] - [in progress]
  13. @finnks13 - [claimed]
  14. @LordEntr0py - [claimed]
  15. @ViolentBeetle - [claimed]
  16. @Worriedidiot - [claimed]
  17. @akolai - [claimed]
  18. @Terrarienn - [claimed]
  19. @Alter - [claimed]
  20. @Liberation - [claimed through Discord]
  21. @JaySmithen - [claimed] - [in progress] - [screenshot]
  22. @PinkFlamingo - [claimed]
  23. @Worst - [claimed]
  24. @BoxY - [claimed]
  25. @Bloodbath Giraffe - [claimed]
  26. @Death Bear - [claimed]
  27. @myolden - [claimed]
  28. @lokbustam257 - [claimed]
  29. @DMPhobos -[claimed]
  30. @Salmon - [claimed]
  31. @Breezeep - [claimed]
  32. @Antkibo - [claimed]
  33. @Engired - [claimed]
  34. @RastaManGames - [claimed]
  35. @ryiron - [claimed] - [in progress]
  36. @DynamiteKaitorn - [claimed]
  37. @Weird Sandwich - [claimed]
  38. @Origamyde - [claimed]
  39. ... (we're not constrained to 32 maps!)

Reserve / Extra : To be filled

Submission Format (so everything is easier to handle)

Map Name: ___

Author: ___

Theme: ____ (general theme of your map - techbase, marble, hell, blue, etc.)

Music: _____

Difficulty Settings: ____ (Implemented / not implemented / partially implemented)

Ports Tested: _____ (Expecting at least one test on latest DSDA-Doom!)

Description: _____

Notes: ______ (Your notes).

And thus, HAVE FUN! We'll be coordinating here, but I can create one of those fancy discord server if need be. Be patient, I'm not used to this, if you have questions go ahead and I'll add more to this OP as we go on.

Hell of a way to start my first community project!

Patch Notes For thread

1.0 - Initial release

1.1 - Modified rule B after feedback

1.2 - Added clarification about map slots.

i want a slot plz @dac ive worked on maps before to a mostly positive feedback.

@Womneare Tiny bit of friendly advice for future reference: you don't need to quote an entire post and tag its author to join a community project. Your willingness to participate can be made known with less than that.