Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dac

[Community Project] Thirty Monsters Challenge [See you in the other thread!]

On 12/20/2021 at 10:02 AM, BENCHY said:

hey thanks for playing man, glad you liked the visuals and the last fight. I'm definitely considering not hiding the archy behind hidden middle textures and maybe making a more open structure in the middle to hold it. as for the archiy not teleporting I have no idea why that would happen all the times I tested it on DSDA doom complevel 21 it worked fine, it may be the source port your using or the compatibility level? with the second fight that was definitely a concern and I'm thinking of taking a few demons from the final room and making them block the door, idk ill fix it.

again thanks for the feedback

I tried it in both dsda-doom and in gzdoom (the first version of the map) and I think it only worked once for me. I assume it has to do with the fact that the teleport lines are on the edge of the platform, but I don't know enough about the engine/complevel specifics to say why that would be the case.

I played through the last remaining maps. This should cover all submissions so far.

Blueberry Castle by @DynamiteKaitorn

Spoiler

Only some very minor comments:

- The blue key door is not very obvious, especially given the color scheme of the map. And the blue key is kinda hidden as well (I didn't notice that I picked it up). I don't *think* it will lead to confusion, but it might.

- It seemed a little weird that when you grab the SSG, it opens up a closet with bullet ammo. It did make me look closer and find the secret so maybe that was the idea.

Trapped in Remnants (v2) by @RastaManGames

Spoiler

Pretty neat arena! I was a little confused by the colored pillars at first, because the next switch you have to press is the color that's no longer visible.

You can 'cheat' by just pressing all the switches without shooting. You'll only have to dodge a couple of imps, and then all you have to do is quickly kill the baron and exit. The map isn't so hard that this is a major issue, but forcing you to shoot a switch at the beginning could prevent that.

Vile Keep by @ryiron

Spoiler

Great effort for your first public map. It has varied combat and pretty solid visuals. I didn't find any issues, but it definitely needs some music to go with it.

6 hours ago, dac said:

Just tagging to make sure you're still with us, and we can't wait to see your contributions! Happy holidays!

Yeah, I'm still with you. I was making a level and forgot to save, and then builder crashed so I'll be remaking my level from scratch. I've got an improved idea anyway.

8 hours ago, dac said:

Just tagging to make sure you're still with us, and we can't wait to see your contributions! Happy holidays!

Yeah, I'm still chipping away at my submission. Should be finished pretty soon... no promises though ;)

Spoiler

doom09.png.bdb4e77da84bae350d2ba3ecfa05fa5b.pngdoom10.png.98c328e390d66d8514ae3ec2ab51800b.pngdoom13.png.9b39d82731846038f81a6ac6ffa578c3.png

10 hours ago, dac said:

I've gotten started with my map, but it's still got a long way to go.

Spoiler

y0hC1eN.png

@SCF Oooooooooooooh... just.... OOOOOOOOOOOOH! Ahem... this shit was just straight-up nasty. You're a big meanie, fam. It's doable, but I imagine this will likely piss some people off. I think maybe giving an SSG at least would've been charitable, but that's up to you of course. Cool map, but as really bloody mean lol.

Don't worry, I'm still working a little on this! Recently I've added more rooms and a exit (that needs better detailing).

37 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

@SCF Oooooooooooooh... just.... OOOOOOOOOOOOH! Ahem... this shit was just straight-up nasty. You're a big meanie, fam. It's doable, but I imagine this will likely piss some people off. I think maybe giving an SSG at least would've been charitable, but that's up to you of course. Cool map, but as really bloody mean lol.

Thank you, I'll take it as a compliment :D

I wanted the map to have some teeth, but I don't think it's close to the hardest submission so far (although it looks like you haven't played the ones I'd consider harder yet). The lower difficulties should be significantly more forgiving. I will say that chaingunning the archvile and praying he gets stunned is not the intended strategy in that room, it's not meant to be *that* unfair :)

37 minutes ago, SCF said:

I will say that chaingunning the archvile and praying he gets stunned is not the intended strategy in that room, it's not meant to be *that* unfair :)

It's all I had to work with, you bastard! ;^P

I'm still alive! (thankfully.)
Didn't like my first design so I scrapped it.
Thinking of another right now.

Edited by Matacrat

Forgot to mention,

@Peccatum Mihzamiz once again, sorry for missing you among all the replies! You should be officially good to go now.

20 hours ago, dac said:

@Shawn 

My map is coming along slowly but nicely. Here is a screenshot of the starting area.

Screenshot (11).png

On 12/21/2021 at 9:21 PM, dac said:

Well, it's winter up here, time to check how everyone is doing! Still had some real busy hours on my end, but expect a screen sooner rather than later.

@LGmaire - @Obsidian - @Bri - @finnks13 - @PinkFlamingo - @Bloodbath Giraffe - @myolden - @lokbustam257 - @RastaManGames - @DynamiteKaitorn - @Origamyde - @NoReason - @BENCHY - @alexsa2015sa - @SCF

Thank you all for the maps! I'll take some time this holiday to perform some writeups about them, but so far everything has been rather enjoyable if sometimes ballbreaking (looking at you finnks and noreason!) Happy holidays to all of you, and if you feel like making more maps, the door is always open!

You're welcome! I am quite excited to see the writeup for my map. I still somewhat of a recent community member, so I'm happy to see my works be accepted in a community project, and have people say that they like it. :)

I will probably make another map soon, no promises though.

25 out of 30 monsters placed. start and end need some detailing

Spoiler

30mc-wip.jpg

Happy Holidays everyone! Made updates to my map. I consider this to be the final version. Further updates should only be for bug fixing or small tweaks based on feedback.

30mc_PinkFlamingo_V2.rar

Screenshot_Doom_20211225_113319.png.9a5a20b45e8991846f8af46d55b56fa1.png

Changes to version 1:

- Made small changes to the final fight, based on feedback from @SCF. Replaced two of the cacos with pain elementals. I believe this fight is much more interesting now. The other fights have also been tweaked. UV is a bit harder.

- Adjusted the lighting/contrast to look better in dsda-Doom (previous version was too dark).

- Improved the visuals of the start and exit areas.

- Sky texture was changed to SKYESSLR. Map is now set in a more surreal space environment.

- Added two secrets for you to find.

- Co-op and deathmatch support (co-op is just the extra starts, deathmatch limits the playable area to the final arena).

Map info

Spoiler

Map Name: Tomb of Nephren-Ka

Author: PinkFlamingo

Theme: Egyptian

Music: Dungeon music from The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall

Difficulty Settings: Fully implemented

Ports Tested: DSDA-Doom 0.21.3 and GZDoom 4.7.1

Description: Three small underground arenas in an Egyptian theme. Enemy corpses are reanimated by off-screen Archviles.

Notes: Probably the final version

Edited by PinkFlamingo

Unfortunately in the run up to Christmas my creative juices well and truly fell off a cliff. Hopefully I will get back on the horse so to speak when I return home after the usual family visiting shenanigans that are commonplace over the coming days.

And thus arrives the first version of my map.

Map Name: Azure Crypt
Author: MFG38
Theme: Medieval / Castle(ish)
Music: "Dark Expanse" by Ribbiks
Difficulty Settings: Yes
Ports Tested: dsda-doom 0.21.3, GZDoom 4.7.1

Description: A small crypt deep in the basement of a medieval castle. Don't let the name fool you - it's anything but quiet down
here.

Notes: Difficulties don't change enemies too much, apart from replacing the shotgunners with zombiemen and the cyberdemon with a
baron on lower difficulties - what mostly changes with them is weapon/ammo placement. Layout was speedmapped in 30 minutes.

CWILVxx and UMAPINFO also included.

30mc_mfg38_v1.zip

14 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Thanks a lot for the playthrough! Seems like the difficulty is alright with each fight being a bit more difficult than the previous.

Yeah, solid progression, fam. Good stuff

So thought that I would give this a try. This ended up being a little more difficult than I had originally imagined. I haven't released many WADs, this is my second ever, so some feedback would be greatly appreciated. Oh and I really went all in with the blue theme.

30MC_DrFluffystuff_v3.zip

Map Name: 30/30/3

Author: dr fluffystuff

Theme: ummmm.... blue

Music: Pipeline by James Paddock

Difficulty Settings: Implemented

Ports Tested: DSDA and GZdoom

Spoiler

doom00.png.0d9e3b6eb503f5cd8efce0ad01aae7a1.pngdoom09.png.2062654f4b35fb1c2f80231521b18d09.pngdoom04.png.c1ec49b7f2a34b436d8ca1aba714a408.png

Edited by Dr Fluffystuff : Fixed HOM issue and added monster blocking linedefs

Saw a lot of blue maps being submitted so I wanted to do something a bit different. Here it is:

Map Name: -ANTI-LIFE-
Author: Worriedidiot
Theme: Alien tech
Music: Godless Industry by AD_79
Difficulty Settings: not implemented yet
Ports Tested: DSDA-Doom, GZDoom
Description: A short gimmick map with a mish-mash of random alien looking tech and slime.
Notes: Dumb gimmick warning. Play at your own risk.

30mc_worriedidiot.rar

6 hours ago, Dr Fluffystuff said:

So thought that I would give this a try. This ended up being a little more difficult than I had originally imagined. I haven't released many WADs, this is my second ever, so some feedback would be greatly appreciated. Oh and I really went all in with the blue theme.

Map Name: 30/30/3

Author: dr fluffystuff

Theme: ummmm.... blue

Music: Pipeline by James Paddock

Difficulty Settings: Implemented

Ports Tested: DSDA and GZdoom

30MC_DrFluffystuff.zip

Hide contents

doom00.png.0d9e3b6eb503f5cd8efce0ad01aae7a1.pngdoom09.png.2062654f4b35fb1c2f80231521b18d09.pngdoom04.png.c1ec49b7f2a34b436d8ca1aba714a408.png

holy crap that looks sick! i love it

@Dr Fluffystuff That's one awesome little map, mate. Nicely detailed with gorgeous texture work and a fun, challenging progression flow. Besides that one HOM error I spotted on the crusher, I didn't notice anything broken, out of place or unbalanced. A terrific effort for your second WAD ever!

Edited by Biodegradable

Here's the first draft of my map!

30monch-wa.zip

Map Name: Obsidian Ravine

Author: Walter

Theme: Rocky Canyon \ Fort

Music: Taken from Hexen MAP01

Difficulty Settings: Partially implemented, waiting for feedback and testing

Ports Tested: Woof 8.0.0

Description: A map strongly inspired by Hexen, also uses no hitscan monsters and guns.

Notes: I hope you have fun playing this! Are the 30 monsters been implemeted in all the skills, adding new monsters as well in the skill where they don't are added? However, it have the 30 monsters limit in UV, some less in easier skills.

Edited by Walter confetti

@Biodegradable Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear that it was balanced and fun, was worried I may have been a little to harsh. I actually dialed back some of the fights, think I was playing to much Sunlust and it rubbed off on me. I fixed the HOM issue and a few texture alignment issues I had found. Edited my above post 

Edited by Dr Fluffystuff