Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dac

[Community Project] Thirty Monsters Challenge [See you in the other thread!]

Thanks for pointing that out! It didn't happen during my testing. I'm gonna add a monster-blocking linedef there to prevent that, but only tomorrow. And I'll make sure to properly submit my maps in the supposed format.

I'm not dead! IRL stuff and other projects getting in the way a bunch..
My map is already 70% done, just refinement of level design and monster balancing to do left!

Untitled.png

Capture2.PNG

Time for a small update: I'll release a small beta compilation of currently released maps next weekend - every maps released before that weekend will be in it. Deadline is still in two months, but that should be a good sneak peek for how everything will be formatted in the final release. Once again, sorry for not being there all the time.

Doing some writeups for maps:

Dystrophia by @Scorpius - Good overall, nice to see more of these kind of maps among all the arenas I've played. There's two things I'll mention though: one, the cyberdemon fight at the end is a bit overkill and two, maybe add a chaingun for lower difficulties since chaingunners aren't very present there.

Paroxysm by @NoReason - I mentioned this on Discord already, but holy shit this kicked my ass (and other parts where it hurts more) in a good way. This map is definitely going to be among the last of the set, in the 'very hard' section.

Demon Electrica by @Bri - This is REALLY good. Loving the detailing on that one.

Dismal Twilight by @NeedHealth - A bit of a lonely if good experience. Expected the map to be a lot meaner considering the start, but fine nonetheless, we need easier maps to counter the challenging ones anyway.

Caeco Regno by @LPad - Gonna echo what some said about this being a very mean map, albeit one you can easily abuse infighting in (especially the mancubus). And it could do with a small detailing pass on the ending, but that can wait for until we gear up for an official release.

Thanks for the feedback, Dac and SCF. Here's an updated version of my map with mostly minor changes (including a "non secret" chaingun on UV).

Edited by NoReason : removing outdated map

@dac Just a tidbit of info, since I see this thread cropping up here and there - is the project still open for signups? or is it a done deal? 

Version 2 of Lapis Lazuli: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AT-UrZDomtXTghRZ2QNz2VWB6dYMFdfB/view?usp=sharing. Thanks to @SCF and @Biodegradable for the play testing feedback. I've lowered the difficulty of the first fight a bit, and tried to make the later fights a bit more interesting/engaging.

Changes:

Spoiler
  • Made the first archvile fight a bit easier: one less revenant, spectres become pinkies, slightly narrower hit boxes on the columns, and the first column is moved to allow going around in both directions.
  • The cyberdemon room has changed significantly. New mini combat challenge reusing most of the original layout. The bars lower quicker on easier difficulties. Its also less easy to just escape this room after grabbing the red key.
  • Exit room has more enemies and an archvile/baron blocking the exit.
  • Minor tweaks for ammo, health, etc.
  • Removed the co-op starts since the map won't work well in co-op (the red key room at least can become inaccessible I think). The rules don't mention co-op, so hopefully this isn't an issue?

I finally switched over from Eureka to Ultimate Doom Builder for this. I'm a bit slow going currently trying to fix my muscle memory for all the shortcuts. Discovered an annoying issue where Eureka defaults to applying textures even when they aren't needed, which sometimes messes with UDB's auto align.

30mc_Gaargod_V2.zip

@dac

Map Name: Patio Bloodbath

Author: Gaargod

Theme: Outdoors/Hell/Plutonia Based

Music: “La Migra” by Brujeria

Difficulty Settings: Implemented

Ports Tested: GZDoom, DSDA-DOOM, ZDoom, Zandronum

Description: Small map inspired by The Plutonia Experiment, mid and high-tier enemies but relatively easy due to open spaces.

Notes: Custom sky “SKYR3D3”, also, this is my 33rd map ever made, so the design is quite simple compared to other maps that have already been posted on this thread lmao

image.png.9390db9fa1a79755d4b5aff979272d8a.png

Edited by Gaargod

Little heads up that I have also started my map, going very slow as I'm dealing with power cuts regularly so it won't be up for the beta but (be)for(e) the actual deadline.

On 1/25/2022 at 7:50 PM, Thelokk said:

@dac Just a tidbit of info, since I see this thread cropping up here and there - is the project still open for signups? or is it a done deal? 

If you can make a map before the deadline, you're good.

13 minutes ago, dac said:

If you can make a map before the deadline, you're good.

Alright I'm game then. 

Aaand courtesy of COVID work is already underway. Currently writing a love letter to the best texture to ever come out of Doom - the CEMENT series. Plus textures from the project pack of course. 

image.png.34ffdeaff8f12625d0de4445fd05970d.png

This is a bit last minute, but @Astro X I'll need you to compile your maps in the correct submission format.

Otherwise, I'm still on schedule to release the beta compilation this sunday.

Hey, I'll be dropping out of this project. I've got a finished map, but it's hilariously unbalanced and I have no intention of changing it. Good luck to the rest of you.

Hey, anyone feels like giving the eeearly beta of my submission a spin? 

The Sinkhole

Title: 'The Sinkhole'

Author: TheLokk

Playtime: short, about 10 mins, can be speedrun in literally 20 seconds.

Tested: DSDA, GlBoom+, GzDoom

MIDI: "Main title" from Shadow of the Beast

MUST LIKE CEMENT1. It's a short and sweet 'switch hunt' playing around monster as obstacles and the scavenge for tight resources. Pretty sure the balance still needs severe tuning though.

Note: it said 30 monsters in GZDoom, 24 in the other ports? probably because the remaining six are lost souls. Also I assumed that souls spawned from pains wouldn't count against the total.

Thanks!

image.png.f0c9622a97fe8129581855aecef9f884.png

Edited by Thelokk

Doing a bit of UMAPINFO (Also sneak peek for how things will be ordered!)

Spoiler

doom11.png.ff549d6a2730ffea315fab3ddb302680.png

@RastaManGames Also also played your map, liked it!! I took the liberty of setting up the sky you wanted with UMAPINFO, it should show up correctly in the beta.

TheSinkholeV2.wad

Title: 'The Sinkhole'

Author: TheLokk

Playtime: short, about 10 mins, can be speedrun.

Tested: DSDA, GlBoom+, GzDoom

MIDI: "Main title" from Shadow of the Beast

- Fixed the switches and the exit so they are a bit less conspicuous, and more difficult to activate out of the intended sequence. 

- Adjusted monster flags and ammo. Enough to complete the map, but having the necessary ammo at the right moment will require proper routing.

- Decorated some more.

Any suggestion and criticism more than welcome!

image.png.a38243b83a75036f1f5b8801daacdc69.png

Map Name: Sea of Wonders

Author: LPad

Theme: Wood/Cave

Music: Frozen Flame, from Chrono Cross

Difficulty Settings: Implemented

Ports Tested: GZDoom, DSDA-Doom

A short level with low difficulty, intended for early levels of the Wad. Tried to keep it with a moderate pace and very manageable. I ran into a couple of bugs that constantly reappeared when I made changes, like a wall that constantly lost its texture or sectors that just disappeared from time to time. I tried to solve everything before posting this version of the map, but if something's not right, let me know.

30mc_LPad2.rar

They are as far as I know. There's time until March 21st. The beta is just what we have so far, but it's still not closed

Not much time to play recently so only up to map09, but lots of very good stuff! Heavily leaning towards the short and whimsical. A couple of slightly unfair archies/ cybers in the lower difficulty maps but nothing insormountable. A few maps could also go a bit easier on the instantly raising ambushes but that's just a peeve of mine. Highlight so far is Caco by Caco, great visuals and loads of fun! Will add comments as I go along. 

- Spoiler for map09:

Spoiler

@NeedHealthI would make the linedefs of the two deep pits right in front of the spawn point impassable. By sliding on the window's ledges I happened to fall in and softlock myself, unless I missed a way out. Will post a ss as soon as I can. 

- I can't remember off the top of my head if the megawad's txt file is meant to suggest pistol start or continuous, but imo it should strongly reccomend the former. Up to map11 and I'm almost maxed out on all kinds of ammo, can entirely ignore the map's own pickups. 

Edited by Thelokk

48 minutes ago, Thelokk said:

- I can't remember off the top of my head if the megawad's txt file is meant to suggest pistol start or continuous, but imo it should strongly reccomend the former. Up to map11 and I'm almost maxed out on all kinds of ammo, can entirely ignore the map's own pickups. 

I was stacked with ammo too when I played. MBF21 can do death exits, though, so that may be an option. Or maybe just at the end of each episode.

The two maps I submitted (map04 and map13) at least are intended to played from pistol start. The first fight in map13 for example isn't really a challenge if you start with an energy weapon :-).

1 hour ago, Bri said:

I was stacked with ammo too when I played. MBF21 can do death exits, though, so that may be an option. Or maybe just at the end of each episode.

Death exits on all maps (kind of like what Bourgeois did) sounds fine. Everyone is OK with it?

Just now, dac said:

Death exits on all maps (kind of like what Bourgeois did) sounds fine. Everyone is OK with it?

A must I'd volte. Stomping all over the higher tier maps on UV continuous in force of stockpiled ammo alone. I'm literally BFGing whole maps atm.