Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dac

[Community Project] Thirty Monsters Challenge [See you in the other thread!]

Thank you @alexsa2015sa for the great feedback on every map, it helps a lot.

Updated my map according to your criticisms. (I also updated my original post to avoid multiple versions everywhere)

30mc_Shawn_V4.zip

Changelog V4 :
--------------

o Changed the way to escape to Yellow skull key room to force the player to collect the rocket launcher.
o Moved the Berserk pack into the Yellow skull room as a reward after the fight and to prevent the player from killing the Archvile too early.
o Moved where the player is teleported in the final fight, now the player is in a much safer place.
+ Added some impassable barriers around the Archvile to force the player to run away and not fight with fists/chainsaw.
+ Added some health bonus to help the player navigate the map.
+ Added a death exit.

Edited by Shawn

Mmmmm I'm afraid I'll have to give my slot to someone else, since, umm, I'm no longer interested in the plan I had (for the moment that is, it may materialize someday like many things I say they will lol). Heh, and I was one of the first people to show interest in this... apologies though :x

On 2/12/2022 at 4:33 AM, Bri said:

Your map isn't crappy. It's one of the best looking ones in the set and plays really well. I would definitely check out more releases from you.

On 2/12/2022 at 11:51 PM, dac said:

I will echo what was already said, your map isn't crappy at all. And for a first public release, it's actually really impressive! I mean, it was good enough to be an episode opener, and will probably remain in the first three maps of that episode.

Well, at least I'm glad that people enjoyed my first ever publicly released map, enough to have it be an episode opener, even if I think there's better maps that fit the bill better.

Hell, I think I can do better with MBF to be honest, maybe it's just that I've improved to the point where I think the map is kinda bleh. I guess.

Thanks for the kind words though! I still appreciate it.

Still alive, still alive! Gonna make a small update soon-ish after I've updated the place.

3 hours ago, dac said:

...Being RIGHT NOW. Doing a small roll call:

@dac - Yeah, after you're done with more pressing projects it *might* be a good idea to contribute to this, having no maps in your own thing is not really a good look 😛

(Serious though, maps WILL come!)

@Astro X - @Thelokk - @Chainie - @LPad - @El Inferno

Thank you for the new maps! I'll release a new compilation in two weeks with yours, and maps that release in the next week. You all have done a good job!

@JaySmithen - @knifeworld

Eagerly awaiting a release of your maps - from the screenshots, it looks like they'll be great!

@Bobby "J - @Dunn (& Dunn) - @LordEntr0py - @ViolentBeetle - @Terrarienn - @Alter - @Liberation - @Worst - @BoxY - @Death Bear - @DMPhobos - @Weird Sandwich - @Matacrat - @Yumheart - @antares031 - @NiGHTS108 - @Fryuko - @Peccatum Mihzamiz

Reminder, there's a month left! There will probably be a small push back from my initial date, but if there is, it won't go past April 1st.

@Biodegradable - @SCF - @Thelokk - @alexsa2015sa - @El Inferno

Wanted to make specific thanks for your playtests and comments. Seriously helps a lot with ordering and making this project the best it can be.

@LGmaire

Reiterating specifically for you: releasing your first map at large is no small feat. It officially makes you a Doom mapper and you deserve congratulations for that! Plus once again, it was a good map, you should keep going and release more of them - in community projects, in your own sets, anywhere really!

-----

With that, to recall:

New demo coming on the 6th of March with new maps and proper ordering.

I will probably push the deadline back to April 1st - end of month rather than end of winter. Ten more days should be more than welcome for everyone, right?

I finally have some free time from Squonker so I can make some stuff, hopefully around second week of March

Howdy everyone :)

Map Name: Marble Techbase
Author: JaySmithen "Russell Bowtell"
Theme: Blue/Techbase
Music: Broken Mirror by Tristan Clark
Difficulty Settings: Implemented (same items with different monsters)
Ports Tested: DSDA-Doom, GZDoom
Description: Um, stairbuilder tool go brrr? No cybers or masterminds but there is also no rockets or plasma and the only big armor bonus is in the secret room. It should be pretty easy to spot though.
Notes: I think it might be a bit too easy, I dunno 🤷‍♂️

30mc_JaySmithen_1_v3.7z

Edited by JaySmithen : Put in the final version download

6 hours ago, dac said:

Reminder, there's a month left! There will probably be a small push back from my initial date, but if there is, it won't go past April 1st.

Im working on a map, but unfortunately mapping hasn't been going well lately, so i haven't made much progress. I'll try to complete my map before the deadline but i don't make any promises, anyhow here's some screens of the progress i have

that i might or might not scrap

R03EpoH.png

YNaxN4W.png

osN1XHs.png

1 hour ago, JaySmithen said:

Howdy everyone :)

Map Name: Marble Techbase
Author: JaySmithen "Russell Bowtell"
Theme: Blue/Techbase
Music: Broken Mirror by Tristan Clark
Difficulty Settings: Implemented (same items with different monsters)
Ports Tested: DSDA-Doom, GZDoom
Description: Um, stairbuilder tool go brrr? No cybers or masterminds but there is also no rockets or plasma and the only big armor bonus is in the secret room. It should be pretty easy to spot though.
Notes: I think it might be a bit too easy, I dunno 🤷‍♂️

30mc_JaySmithen_v1.7z

HMP, I like it! It's not perfect but it has a lot of good things going on for it.

The blue castle theme has turned out to be a pretty frequent one in the megawad in general but, in your case, I wouldn't touch it. It goes really well along with the techbase elements, nice contrast.

The map is expansive considering the monster count, and this is both a blessing and a curse. It means you have loads to explore, but it also means you get 2-3 monsters at a time at most, and plenty of room to strafe. Rarely in harm's way but this is not necessarily an issue - we do have a 'Fun!' slot for maps exactly for this reason.

Personally I'd axe the Barons and put HK in their place. Given the legroom they're just bullet sponges and pose no extra threat.

Couldn't spot any softlock or misalign, but also didn't find the secret either, so maybe it's not as easy at it seems - which is good.

Final consideration: the map's name. It's a bit... I'm sure you can do better :D

@Thelokk Thanks :) I agree about the 2 Barons, especially if the player misses the first SSG it takes a long time to put em' down.
And yeah... I'll think up a better name for it 🤣

@JaySmithen This is a nice, breezy map. It'd work well as a breather to put after a more intense map and let the player unwind a little. I thought it was very quaint and charming. I also agree with Thelokk regarding the barons. Hell Knights are superior!

I'm just about to update my map so I need to ask: are death exits mandatory?

Here is a first playable version of my map. Difficulty settings are not yet implemented.

Map Name: Recharging Station
Author: Worst
Theme: Techbase
Music: "Nuns With Shotguns" by @MFG38
Difficulty Settings: Implemented.
Ports Tested: DSDA-Doom-0.24.1
Description: A dubious tech facility that has gotten infested with demons.
Notes: Map contains plenty of scripting, it could break if noclip or resurrection cheats are used. It is intended to be played without jumping, some parts could be entirely skipped otherwise.

30mc_worst_v1.zip
30mc_worst_v2.zip

30mc_worst_v3.zip

30mc_worst_v4.zip

Feedback on the map is appreciated!

Screenshots:

Spoiler

HtXvchV.pngGIOc03b.pngPRuBUJh.pngZim0VH6.pngKAfENPO.png

Changelog: (may contain spoilers)

Spoiler

v1
- First released version

v2
- Replaced the lift with stairs in the 1st half of the central area.
- Added a step for getting back up from the left side computer platform in the 1st half of the central area.
- Replaced the switch doors with doors that open when approached in the 1st half of the central area.
- Adjusted the steps to the big door switch in the 1st half of the central area. Hopefully less slippery now.
- Made the leap to the middle pillars less difficult to pull off in the 1st half of the central area.
- Added a lighting effect to a secret panel.
- Added an iron support beam at the middle of the entrance to the 2nd half of the central area.
- Added a switch activated shortcut from the 2nd half back to the 1st half of the central area.
- Removed an imp from the 2nd half of the central area, added another monster to the outside area.
- Added some arrows and adjusted the railings around the switches in the outside area.
- The first switch that opens the blue door is no longer timed.
- Bars located after the blue door lower faster now.
- In the final area, the switch barrier will lower quickly on its own if the sequence is completed.
- Removed useless switches before the exit, the exit door now opens when approached.
- Some other minor adjustments.

v3
- Fixed the 2nd pain elemental not spawning lost souls in GZDoom.
- Alternate side routes have been added that hopefully provide less puzzling paths through the side areas.

v4
- Difficulty settings have been implemented. Hard difficulty remains pretty much the same as it was in the previous version.
- In a secret location near the lift puzzle, added a display that will show the solution if interacted with.
- Added some arrows around the lift puzzle that point towards the start, so that it's easier to find your way back to the beginning if you fail.

Edited by Worst : New update

3 hours ago, Worst said:

Here is a first playable version of my map. Difficulty settings are not yet implemented.

Difficulty Settings: Not yet implemented.
Notes: Map contains plenty of scripting, it could break if noclip or resurrection cheats are used. It is intended to be played without jumping, some parts could be entirely skipped otherwise.

30mc_worst_v1.zip

Screenshots:

Hide contents

Pretty good map! quite expansive given the monster count, I enjoyed the doomcute pieces and the simple, but well done puzzle elements. Some items for consideration:

- Lots of switches, maybe too many. Towards the beginning I'm literally flicking three switches in a row, all within sight of each other, with no fighting and no puzzle in between. Felt a bit... I don't know, filler? 

- Not sure how I feel about the AV galore towards the end, not so much for the fight itself (it's gimmicky but well executed) but because, with such a low monster count, I think those final 'heads' could be better used elsewhere. A few rooms, especially the switch puzzle room, felt a bit sparse in fighting, I would probably move some kill count over there.

@Worst Pretty neat little techbase map, fam. The puzzles were admittedly a little annoying and there's some wonky switch placement choices I think should be revised, but otherwise it's got a lot of character and they way you have the progression circle around itself and how you repopulate areas was neat. Your texturing and DoomCute skills are also top-tier stuff. :^)

9 hours ago, Scorpius said:

I'm just about to update my map so I need to ask: are death exits mandatory?

I'll update the OP with it, but yes.

I'm just putting final details and stuff on mine, then need to implement a death exit. It's short, sweet, not overly oppressive, and seems like something I would do. Should be done plenty before the deadline to get some playtesting in.

@Thelokk Thanks for playing and I appreciate the feedback!

13 hours ago, Thelokk said:

- Lots of switches, maybe too many. Towards the beginning I'm literally flicking three switches in a row, all within sight of each other, with no fighting and no puzzle in between. Felt a bit... I don't know, filler?

I've made an update that removes some of the switches. For example the first lift is replaced with stairs. And the switch after the lift is replaced with a door that opens automatically as you approach it.

13 hours ago, Thelokk said:

- Not sure how I feel about the AV galore towards the end, not so much for the fight itself (it's gimmicky but well executed) but because, with such a low monster count, I think those final 'heads' could be better used elsewhere. A few rooms, especially the switch puzzle room, felt a bit sparse in fighting, I would probably move some kill count over there.

Besides the lone AV towards the end (which I kinda like having there), the rest of the AVs there are actually very important for the function of the central gimmick of the map. You don't get to see it as you play the map, but they play a big role in turning the gears of the machine that repopulates the central area. As such I'm a bit hesitant to remove any of them, as I'm afraid it might break the current setup if any of them goes missing.

I'm not going to rule out the possibility of removing one or two, but if I do so, I'll have to thoroughly test everything and it could mean having to do major adjustments if it doesn't work as efficiently as the current setup.

@Biodegradable Thank you for the video playthrough!

Your feedback in this form is very helpful and greatly appreciated, as it gives me not just your commentary and first reactions, but I can also see exactly how you handle every part of the map :)

Outside area, changing the side for the buttons:

I've edited this a little to hopefully make discovering the buttons easier. But I'm keeping the buttons on the same side, so that when the switch is hit repeatedly the player can see what is happening without having to turn around to face the moving platforms. The buttons are also on purpose isolated from one another, to prevent hitting two different switches too quickly while the other one still is in effect. If necessary I'll try to make further adjustments in another update.

Doing the leap to the platform/pillar in the middle of the 1st half of the central area:

I'm sorry for all the suffering you had to go through with this jump... I've made it far less finicky in the new update, and since I replaced the lift with stairs, getting back up should be less frustrating too.

The soulsphere secret:
Fair enough, I would have likely done the same, had I gone through what you did :P

The two switches to open the exit:

Yeah these two are kinda pointless, I forgot to remove them, they were left over from an much earlier version of the final room that was quite

different. They are now gone in the new update. The switch that lowered slowly will also now lower very quickly if you complete the shooting puzzle. And the exit door will open automatically when approached.

10 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

The puzzles were admittedly a little annoying

Yeah, I realize the puzzles might not be for everyone, so I'm considering adding alternative paths to bypass the puzzles. I can't exactly add more monsters though, so I'll need to figure out whether it's platforming, timed challenges, or something else that you'll have to clear to proceed. I still want those alternative paths to give you a some sort of challenge.

Anyways, I have made a new version that hopefully adresses at least some of the issues.

I've added the new version and a changelog to my original post. You can find it here.

17 hours ago, Worst said:

Difficulty Settings: Not yet implemented.

30mc_worst_v1.zip
30mc_worst_v2.zip

Screenshots:

Reveal hidden contents

Changelog: (may contain spoilers)

Reveal hidden contents

v1
- First released version

v2
- Replaced the lift with stairs in the 1st half of the central area.
- Added a step for getting back up from the left side computer platform in the 1st half of the central area.
- Replaced the switch doors with doors that open when approached in the 1st half of the central area.
- Adjusted the steps to the big door switch in the 1st half of the central area. Hopefully less slippery now.
- Made the leap to the middle pillars less difficult to pull off in the 1st half of the central area.
- Added a lighting effect to a secret panel.
- Added an iron support beam at the middle of the entrance to the 2nd half of the central area.
- Added a switch activated shortcut from the 2nd half back to the 1st half of the central area.
- Removed an imp from the 2nd half of the central area, added another monster to the outside area.
- Added some arrows and adjusted the railings around the switches in the outside area.
- The first switch that opens the blue door is no longer timed.
- Bars located after the blue door lower faster now.
- In the final area, the switch barrier will lower quickly on its own if the sequence is completed.
- Removed useless switches before the exit, the exit door now opens when approached.

Fun little map - does it start with 30 monsters and more spawn in? haha - Bio was here too - not usually a fan of puzzles but loved the first one with the wires to the platforms and switches etc, the middle one with the platforms that only change when you look a certain way was the most unique thing I have seen and the last one was kind of just a switch hunt to crushers which weren't essential to avoid the Archies - Bio stopped me from murdering them too soon haha - good times - fun to play with berserk too and I liked the look of it - orange boxes etc ya

I got a map started a while back, then some real life nonsense cropped up and broke my focus which is what seems to happen every time I try to map lately. I have about a week of relative peace coming up so I'll give it another shot and see if something playable comes out.

Hello. Is this still open for a new mapper? (Sorry, I'm still not entirely sure even after reading the whole post)

5 hours ago, Dubium said:

Hello. Is this still open for a new mapper? (Sorry, I'm still not entirely sure even after reading the whole post)

As long as you can get a map out before April 1st, you're good.

12 minutes ago, dac said:

As long as you can get a map out before April 1st, you're good.

Let's go! Please count me in

Map Name: Red Mantle, Blue Mantle

Author: dac

Theme: Marble and brick and a bit of caves

Music: 'The Caco's Best' by Peter Lawrence (From the Alien Vendetta MIDI pack)

Difficulty Settings: Not Implemented

Ports Tested: DSDA-Doom 0.24.1, GZDoom 4.7.0, Woof 9.0.0

Description: A small fort of red, a small cave of blue.

Notes: I will do a better detailing pass at a later time, add difficulties, the works. For now, here's a map!

Download

Edited by dac

@dac

Hi, I know I'm posting kinda late, but I've been trying to map for this for a while now... can I get a spot?

Thanks! Here it is:

Map Name: Doomworld Revolting

Author: Savarin

Theme: Red n' Blu carnival bonanza

Music: The World Revolving by Toby Fox (MIDI arranged by boogerman the sequel)

Difficulty Settings: Not Implemented

Ports Tested: DSDA-Doom 0.24.1, GZDoom 4.5.0

Description: Honestly? I just ran with the stupid idea once I had it, hopefully it's not TOO gimmicky D:

Notes: Still need to implement difficulties and touch up on details.

30mc_Savarin.zip

Some screenies:

Spoiler

20220303195049_1.jpg.968a14f3afa8cc1747e3b6a7f44944ba.jpg

20220303195132_1.jpg.8a21944ddaa2b7c7d85caf805b823b1a.jpg

Criticism is appreciated!

Edited by Savarin : Wrote the song name wrong due to my own stupid pun lol