Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dac

[Community Project] Thirty Monsters Challenge [See you in the other thread!]

Just now, Thelokk said:

A must I'd volte. Stomping all over the higher tier maps on UV continuous in force of stockpiled ammo alone. I'm literally BFGing whole maps atm.

Just mentioning because all the maps must be updated for it. For now you can force yourself on pistol starts if it gets too easy though.

Wrapped up the beta playthrough, ammo thing aside looks solid so far. Save for a softlock mentioned in my previous comment didn't manage to find anything gamebreaking. Many used the blue tile and egyptian sets,  with great results.

There was (at least to my barely-UV butter fingers) a distinct and unexpected difficulty spike and drop around map 8-9, there might be some need for rearranging especially as more maps are added. Megawad gets pretty intense toward the end I'd say.

Overall a very good start, has that varied and colorful 'community project scent' in the JCP / Microslaughter vein that I really dig. 

On 12/11/2021 at 2:40 AM, dac said:

TITLEPIC.png.a5c9cbb2fedfb6efb78cf8ed39ed988e.png

UPDATE: Beta 1 is out! Thirty maps of good stuff!

Setup

It's quite simple: make a map with thirty monsters in it - no more, no less. We will be mapping for the doom2 IWAD on MBF21 compatibility, targeting DSDA-Doom as our main source port, and using 32in24-15tex as our resource pack.mostly I'm tired of OTEX and wanted to try something (old)new

Custom skies are allowed, just make sure they convert well to the new palette.

Soft deadline is March 21st - all mappers should have submitted a beta of their maps at that point. We'll spend more time after that for testing and refining, but overall we should be ready to release before June 2022.

Rules - This is where it's gonna get a bit more orderly for the good functioning of this project.

a) All difficulties must be implemented. I won't ask for initial releases to be fully featured, but keep this in mind as we gear up for a release candidate.

b) Maps should have three or more different monster types in them. In additions, there should be no more than five arch-viles or barons, and no more than two cyberdemons or spiderdemons. Just a little something for more variety and less dickery.

c) Keep your maps small. Ribbiks's Crumpets is a good sample of how big your maps should be. (save for its final map)

d) No low effort, obviously. Don't force yourself for the masterpiece, this is a small project after all, but don't just shit out Congestion 512 meets nuts.wad.

e) Keep the difficulty reasonable.  The original thread asked for hard maps, but let's make something enjoyable for everyone.

Slots

Just tag me in this thread to apply. Keep in mind we'll reorder maps around for a proper difficulty curve, and since all current MBF21 compatible ports have UMAPINFO compatibility, we are not constrained to the usual 32 map limit. This also means we are not doing anything special with secret maps, MAP07 or anything like that.

BETA COMPILATION 1

Map list:

Reveal hidden contents

EPISODE 1 - FUN

MAP01 : 'Obsidian Ravine' by @Walter confetti

MAP02 : 'Trapped in Remnants' by @RastaManGames

MAP03 : 'Caco by Caco' by @Origamyde

MAP04 : 'Vile Keep' by @ryiron

MAP05 : 'Blueberry Castle' by @DynamiteKaitorn

MAP06 : 'Azure Crypt' by @MFG38

MAP07 : 'Dystrophia' by @Scorpius

MAP08 : 'Crate Processing' by @lokbustam257

MAP09 : 'Dismal Twilight' by @NeedHealth

MAP10 : 'Demon Electrica' by @Bri

EPISODE 2 - TRICKY

MAP11 : 'Marine's Snowiest Base' by @LGmaire

MAP12 : 'Pitted Iron' by @Obsidian

MAP13 : 'Lapis Lazuli' by @ryiron

MAP14 : 'Spider Testament' by @alexsa2015sa

MAP15 : 'Tomb of Nephren-Ka' by @PinkFlamingo

MAP16 : 'Blu-Ray Pain' by @cannonball

MAP17 : 'With Time Comes An End' by @Engired

EPISODE 3 - TAXING

MAP18 : '30/30/3' by @Parkolnaught

MAP19 : 'Windswept' by @Salmon

MAP20 : 'Hide and Sick' by @Shawn

MAP21 : 'Rapturous Grief' by @myolden

MAP22 : 'Patio Bloodbath' by @Gaargod

MAP23 : 'Caeco Regno' by @LPad

MAP24 : 'wiltingDryad' by @BENCHY

EPISODE 4 - MAYHEM!

MAP25 : 'Irregular Expression' by @SCF

MAP26 : 'Overgrown Fortress' by @finnks13

MAP27 : 'Infernal Engine' by @BiZ

MAP28 : 'Misjudging the King' by @Bloodbath Giraffe

MAP29 : '-ANTI-LIFE-' by @Worriedidiot

MAP30 : 'Paroxysm' by @NoReason

NOT IN COMPILATIONS (YET):

@Astro X - [First Map] - [Second Map]

@Thelokk - [The Sinkhole]

COMING SOON, MAPS FROM:

Reserve / Extra : @Antkibo - @Breezeep - @akolai

Submission Format (so everything is easier to handle)

File names should have this format: 30mc_[your name] (without brackets obv). If necessary, add a number to your name to mark different maps, and append something like 'v2' to mark different versions of your maps. Put your map in the MAP01 slot.

Map Name: ___

Author: ___

Theme: ____ (general theme of your map - techbase, marble, hell, blue, etc.)

Music: _____

Difficulty Settings: ____ (Implemented / not implemented / partially implemented)

Ports Tested: _____ (Expecting at least one test on latest DSDA-Doom!)

Description: _____

Notes: ______ (Your notes).

And thus, HAVE FUN! We'll be coordinating here, but I can create one of those fancy discord server if need be. Be patient, I'm not used to this, if you have questions go ahead and I'll add more to this OP as we go on.

Hell of a way to start my first community project!

Patch Notes For thread

1.0 - Initial release

1.1 - Modified rule B after feedback

1.2 - Added clarification about map slots.

1.3 - Added clarifications for file name format.

1.4 - Reordered the contributor's list.

i want to quit the community project cause progress on my map hasn't been made in a month and i never have fun making it. And i also have shcool, taking care of my bike, makin my MegaWad and playing guitar so there isn't much time for me to even make it. It was also becoming a low effort piece of shit. Here it is incase someone wants to see this abomination: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HDZFlbQEgYzoEA0JPMrMhFy7IKcQq2WP/view?usp=sharing

4 hours ago, dac said:

Death exits on all maps (kind of like what Bourgeois did) sounds fine. Everyone is OK with it?

Would we have to update our own maps to add death exits? What's the easiest way of doing that? I wouldn't expect any community project to be suitable for continuous play unless it was intended that way from the beginning, but I do pistol start by default so I don't know what general expectations are like.

Another question, does anyone know exactly how MBF21 in GZDoom works? It's supposed to have 'beta support' but it's not listed as a compatibility setting in the menu (only regular MBF). However I've seen some functioning MBF21 features in the maps I played, like instant death zones. I'll be giving the beta version a whirl and I want to make sure I have everything set up correctly.

Anyway, since it's not included in the beta:

The Sinkhole (v2) by @Thelokk

Spoiler

I enjoyed going around fighting the enemies, but then everything was dead and I still had no idea where the exit was or how to get to it. Basically I had to do the whole switch hunt after already 'finishing' the map which wasn't much fun. It would help if the switch locations were more visible, even before they're active. The one next to the archvile closet in particular really blends in with the background and I ended up passing by it multiple times.

Also, some of the switches can be pressed before they've popped up. I did it by accident because I wasn't sure where to go and saw a 'box' that looked out of place. You could avoid that by recessing the switches into the wall and having a panel fully block them off until they're active.

1 minute ago, SCF said:

Another question, does anyone know exactly how MBF21 in GZDoom works?

It's mostly functional as far as I know, save for some of the new DehackEd codepointers. I'd imagine the map stuff like the instant death pits would have been the easiest to implement, seeing as GZDoom already supported those through other formats for years prior.

10 minutes ago, SCF said:

Would we have to update our own maps to add death exits? What's the easiest way of doing that? I wouldn't expect any community project to be suitable for continuous play unless it was intended that way from the beginning, but I do pistol start by default so I don't know what general expectations are like.

MBF21 has a "death exit" sector effect (kills you and end the level) so it's a matter of modifying exits so switch exits, and walk exits, are turned to teleports into a black room death exit. This is something I could add to all the maps by myself, it's also something I could give a prefab and detailed implementation instructions to mappers, but I'd prefer to have the go ahead from those who already submitted before doing that.

34 minutes ago, SCF said:

The Sinkhole (v2) by @Thelokk

Reveal hidden contents

I enjoyed going around fighting the enemies, but then everything was dead and I still had no idea where the exit was or how to get to it. Basically I had to do the whole switch hunt after already 'finishing' the map which wasn't much fun. It would help if the switch locations were more visible, even before they're active. The one next to the archvile closet in particular really blends in with the background and I ended up passing by it multiple times.

Also, some of the switches can be pressed before they've popped up. I did it by accident because I wasn't sure where to go and saw a 'box' that looked out of place. You could avoid that by recessing the switches into the wall and having a panel fully block them off until they're active.

Honestly I'm tempted to simply ditch the switches altogether.  Does MBF21 have a "open door on monster death" trigger that doesn't require scripting? Sorry but I usually map in ZDoom, slightly unfamiliar.

Or, in alternative I might make the archie closet into an actual room with a single switch opening the exit, and switch around ammo so one is required to explore.

Edited by Thelokk

8 minutes ago, Thelokk said:

Does MBF21 have a "open door on monster death" trigger that doesn't require scripting?

You do inevitably need some scripting to pull off that sort of thing, but luckily for you, it's as simple as adding a single line of code into your UMAPINFO lump. Like so, for instance:

MAP MAP01
{
    name = "Some Map"
    bossaction = 16, 112, 69  // This would make a door with the tag of 69 open (line action 112)
                              // upon killing a Cyberdemon (thing type 16).
}

Refer to the line actions and thing types within UDB if needed.

1 minute ago, MFG38 said:

You do inevitably need some scripting to pull off that sort of thing, but luckily for you, it's as simple as adding a single line of code into your UMAPINFO lump. Like so, for instance:

MAP MAP01
{
    name = "Some Map"
    bossaction = 16, 1, 69   // This would make a door with the tag of 69 open (line action 1)
                             // upon killing a Cyberdemon (thing type 16).
}

Refer to the line actions and thing types within UDB if needed.

Thanks, will give it a shot tomorrow!

Giving map feedback, @Thelokk :

Spoiler

First off, I was a bit brusque on my first criticism, sorry about that. Now for V2:

I'll echo a lot of what SCF said, but one point that wasn't brought up that doesn't help the switch hunt: there's no lighting variation. The map looks drab as a result, and it becomes really easy to miss a switch because the environment kind of meld together. Play around with lighting a bit, even if only as decoration, I'm certain it'll make your map look wonderful 😀

e: Not going to doublepost for this, but god DAMN UMAPINFO seems even more powerful than I thought

Edited by dac

7 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

The submissions aren't closed yet, right? It's just first 30 maps out?

I'll update the OP, but yeah, this is only the first 30 maps out. I'm accepting new submissions up to March 21st.

I played through the first two episodes of the beta, and there's definitely some maps where I disagree with their placement. Once I'm finished I'll post my feedback. In the meantime, I haven't encountered any bugs yet.

6 hours ago, MFG38 said:

It's mostly functional as far as I know, save for some of the new DehackEd codepointers. I'd imagine the map stuff like the instant death pits would have been the easiest to implement, seeing as GZDoom already supported those through other formats for years prior.

Yeah the new features seem to be supported, but I was mainly thinking about compatibility flags. Like I haven't looked deep into it, but it seems MBF21 has different defaults than regular MBF for infighting behavior and whether enemies can be pushed off ledges. And afaik there's no way to specifically say "I want the MBF21 compatibility flags".

30mc_thelokkv3.wad

Map Name: "The Sinkhole"

Author: Thelokk

Theme: Cement /watery

Music: "Main title" from Shadow of the Beast

Difficulty Settings: implemented

Ports Tested: DSDA Doom / GZDoom / GlBoom+

Version 3, final unless something is severely broken. Ditched the switch hunt for a single switch that is heavily guarded, and will require a search for resources in order to conquer. Not a terribly difficult map, but a few fights can get spicy if heading in unprepared. Expanded and spicied up a bit visually, but I'm slightly doubling down on the rather muted palette - I think it sets it apart a bit from the largely colorful maps submitted. 

Update: downloaded from my own link a gave it a play for good measure. All of a sudden switches, including the exit (but not the teleporters), don't work *only on DSDA Doom*, tried GZ/GlBoom/PrBoom and they work fine. Completely clueless and starting to get a bit irritated. Any suggestion? 

Edited by Thelokk

13 hours ago, SCF said:

Yeah the new features seem to be supported, but I was mainly thinking about compatibility flags. Like I haven't looked deep into it, but it seems MBF21 has different defaults than regular MBF for infighting behavior and whether enemies can be pushed off ledges. And afaik there's no way to specifically say "I want the MBF21 compatibility flags".

Right yeah, just looked into this and GZDoom 4.7.1 doesn't seem to have an "MBF21" compatibility option.

41 minutes ago, Thelokk said:

downloaded from my own link a gave it a play for good measure. All of a sudden switches, including the exit (but not the teleporters), don't work *only on DSDA Doom*, tried GZ/GlBoom/PrBoom and they work fine. Completely clueless and starting to get a bit irritated. Any suggestion? 

Gave the map a quick test run on dsda-doom with -complevel 21 and it appears to work as intended for me. Only possible culprit I can think of is that you didn't specify a complevel for dsda-doom when testing, but on the other hand, something that simple shouldn't completely break the switches.

3 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

Gave the map a quick test run on dsda-doom with -complevel 21 and it appears to work as intended for me. Only possible culprit I can think of is that you didn't specify a complevel for dsda-doom when testing, but on the other hand, something that simple shouldn't completely break the switches.

This is actually more likely than you'd think, considering I'm usually a Gz only dumbo. I suspect too that the problem is not with the map, but the way I ran the test on DSDA. If that's indeed the culprit, well, all the better XD considering i ran through the map on UDB for the zillionth time and everything is properly tagged. 

@dac if you don't run into any particular issue as well, I'd say we can tag this version of the map as 'ready' for the eventual beta v2? I incorporated pretty much all of your suggestions, plus more from private playtesters. 

All right, I finished my playthrough of beta 1. Since I've already played almost all maps before, I tried to focus on their difficulty and place in the WAD, as well as looking for any remaining bugs (good news, I only found a couple!).

So here is my own ranking from easiest to hardest. Some notes:

• Everything is based on UV difficulty and pistol start.
  • Although I'm already familiar with some fights, I tried to judge them from a first-time perspective. That's not always going to be possible, but either way everyone will have different opinions anyway.
  • I didn't take secrets into account. Some secret items can make a map significantly easier, but not everyone will find them so they shouldn't be considered for the baseline difficulty.
  • I didn't include my own map for obvious reasons, although I would've expected it a bit lower.
  • Just to be absolutely clear, this is not a judgement on quality, and it's good to have easier maps as well.

Sorry about the lack of proper username tagging. The popup always breaks for me after the first few. I'll see if I can fix it in edit.

MAP08 : 'Crate Processing' by @lokbustam257

Spoiler

The easiest map in the set in my opinion. You only fight a couple enemies at a time, and they generally only come at you from one direction.

MAP02 : 'Trapped in Remnants' by @RastaManGames

Spoiler

This is a very gentle map, with small groups of low-tier enemies, so this spot makes perfect sense. Could even be the first map.

MAP03 : 'Caco by Caco' by @Origamyde

Spoiler

Fairly easy. The vile and cyberdemon are threats, but there's plenty of room and not much pressure from other enemies, so you can focus all your attention on them.

By the way, you can apparently grab the SSG without triggering the linedef that reveals enemies.

MAP05 : 'Blueberry Castle' by @DynamiteKaitorn

Spoiler

On the easier side. The arena fight might trip you up if enemies get in your way, but I found that you can circle around and avoid damage with little difficulty, and you get a BFG to deal with the cyberdemon at the end.

MAP06 : 'Azure Crypt' by @MFG38

Spoiler

How difficult this map depends on how you play it. If you just ignore the cyberdemon instead of trying to get him to infight it's actually pretty easy, and you don't really need the chaingun he's guarding.

MAP07 : 'Dystrophia' by @Scorpius

Spoiler

Similar to other maps in this tier, it can get you if you lose focus but doesn't throw any major threats at you, and the monster traps can be dealt with one at a time.

MAP04 : 'Vile Keep' by @ryiron

Spoiler

Has a couple of fights that demand attention, but are no problem as long as you don't panic, which puts it above the easiest maps in the set, but not much further. The final room is not as hard as it looks since you get plenty of time between enemies. The mancubus/revenant room is the most dangerous I think.

MAP01 : 'Obsidian Ravine' by @Walter confetti

Spoiler

I died multiple times on this map. Granted, they were stupid deaths, but the lack of cover in the outside area is surprisingly nasty, unless you take the easy way out and just camp in the throne room. The cyberdemon should be easy but the room is just small enough that you can screw up and run into a wall at the wrong time. Definitely doesn't feel like a good fit for map 1 to me.

MAP12 : 'Pitted Iron' by @Obsidian

Spoiler

The biggest difficulty with this map is that it's very tight on ammo, and you have no backup weapon once you run out of bullets. This time around I had to let one mancubus and multiple lost souls live because I simply had nothing to kill them with. Besides that though, it's pretty straightforward.

MAP09 : 'Dismal Twilight' by @NeedHealth

Spoiler

Not too much trouble, but two archviles and a revenant at the same time is more than any of the lower-placed maps throws at you, and there's a couple other places where you fight revenants in tight corridors.

MAP10 : 'Demon Electrica' by @Bri

Spoiler

This is definitely a step above the rest of the first episode. All the fights are very doable but you have to be careful, and the final fight can easily catch you off-guard.

MAP11 : 'Marine's Snowiest Base' by @LGmaire

Spoiler

I think this map is actually easier than the few before this, but the last fight will probably kill you if you don't know what's coming.

MAP16 : 'Blu-Ray Pain' by @cannonball

Spoiler

Definitely more forgiving than some of the maps that come before it in the original list. It's not hard to distract all the hell knights/barons and there's enough cover to deal with the archviles safely.

MAP22 : 'Patio Bloodbath' by @Gaargod

Spoiler

Other than the weird archvile-behind-a-wall I found this map relatively easy. There's a lot of space, and not many enemies at once.

MAP?? : 'The Sinkhole' by @thelokk

Spoiler

Not part of the beta but figured I might as well include it. I'd put it around here, in the middle of the pack but towards the easy side.

Also, I found a bug in v2 that I hadn't run into before. If you enter the room with the bars that close behind you and then back out quickly, you'll get locked out.

MAP18 : '30/30/3' by @Parkolnaught

Spoiler

I don't think this one is much of a problem. You have to be aware of the arachnotrons at all times, but the map gives you ample opportunity to play safely. The one risk factor is that there is no non-secret armor, so every hit matters.

MAP13 : 'Lapis Lazuli' by @ryiron

Spoiler

This one's hard to judge because the archvile maze room is much harder the first time you play it. But it looks like the last fights got amped up in difficulty as well. Feels like a major difficulty spike compared to maps 1-12.

The exit room is particularly brutal if you don't have much ammo/health left from the cyberdemon fight, which is what happened to me. There's no extra health at all and it's tough hiding from archvile blasts while dodging lost souls. So your experience may vary wildly depending on whether or not you have a BFG shot left.

Spoiler

The difficulty of the fights is tempered a lot by the generous resources. With the blue armor at the start and several supercharges you can afford to make a lot of mistakes.

By the way there's a missing texture in this map, on the floor at the last fight (SHAWNBL3)

MAP19 : 'Windswept' by @Salmon

Spoiler

I hadn't played this one before, but I liked it! Fun combat, great visuals. My "run around aimlessly" strategy worked pretty well, but doing that requires a bit of luck to not get horribly murdered. I might be underrating this map, but some of the maps right above it got me a little frustrated with their fights, and this one never did.

MAP20 : 'Hide and Sick' by @Shawn

Spoiler

I find this one hard to place, because having played it twice already, I really couldn't be bothered playing hide-and-seek with the archvile again, so I kinda rushed through it. The most difficult part is when it teleports you into the main room with the archie coming at you and no reliable cover, but that feels more cheap than challenging. If he gets distracted or gives you enough time to fire four rockets the rest of the fight is no issue.

MAP24 : 'wiltingDryad' by @BENCHY

Spoiler

I don't think this is "end of episode 3" difficult. The hardest part was the pain elemental/chaingunner room, but that was more a matter of finding a safe spot. Infighting rng with the last archvile could make a big difference.

By the way, the first archvile still won't teleport out for me in GZDoom.

MAP15 : 'Tomb of Nephren-Ka' by @PinkFlamingo

Spoiler

This is one of those maps that I feel shouldn't be too difficult, but then I still keep dying. First fight is simple, second one is a little tricky, but the last one puts you under a lot of pressure.

MAP17 : 'With Time Comes An End' by @Engired

Spoiler

There are multiple routes you can take, and if you go straight for the blue key (like I did on my first playthrough) you can end up at the cyberdemon fight with no plasma or ssg. On average, map 17 is probably a fine spot for it, but it has a high ceiling.

MAP28 : 'Misjudging the King' by @Bloodbath Giraffe

Spoiler

The reason I'd put this map lower is that you can always retreat to the starting area whenever things get too hairy. This makes the archviles in particular much easier to deal with than if you had to duck for cover in the main arena.

MAP23 : 'Caeco Regno' by @LPad

Spoiler

It helps that I suffered through this map before, but the sniping arachnotrons and revenants are a constant threat, and frequently I just died without realizing what hit me. It's a different kind of difficulty from some of these other maps since it's not about figuring out a particular fight, but about constant awareness of your surroundings.

MAP14 : 'Spider Test ament' by @alexsa2015sa

Spoiler

This is the map whose placement I disagree with the most. The last fight is *hard*, and the first half is already very punishing if you don't know where to find the weapons, with the immortal arachnotrons constantly threatening you. Did you use up your cells before doing the last fight? Good luck. Did you miss the (optional) plasma gun? Start praying. There's sniping spiders on every side, with more enemies on the ground to trip you up. Above all, there's four archviles in annoying places, one of which teleports around the ledges and resurrects all the enemies you killed.

This is actually the *only* fight I didn't finish in this playthrough, because I spent too long on it and wanted to move on.

MAP27 : 'Infernal Engine' by @BiZ

Spoiler

This one shows the problem with comparing maps in terms of difficulty. Is it harder to have a fight where the solution is clear but there's little margin for error, or one where it takes effort to figure out how to approach it, but once you do it's reliable? In this case it's the former, having to spend several minutes fighting cyberdemons in a cramped, dark room where every slip-up means a reload. The fight in the last room is no slouch either.

MAP26 : 'Overgrown Fortress' by @finnks13

Spoiler

A cruel map, that leaves you no time to look around, and such scarce ammo that I had to kill the first archvile with the pistol. There's little room to move, and if you take a step in the wrong direction you end up in a death pit.

MAP30 : 'Paroxysm' by @NoReason

Spoiler

If you ignore the secret fight, this is a strong contender for the hardest map. But add in trying to two-shot a cyberdemon while doing platforming over a death pit, and it well deserves the top spot.

Unranked:

I couldn't rank this map because there's a strategy that trivializes all the challenges. I recorded a demo because it's easier to show what I mean. The only danger is the first archvile coming up the stairs, but it's easy to prevent if you take it more slowly than I did here. The cyberdemon at the end is also pretty pathetic.

30mc_beta1_map29.lmp.zip

1 hour ago, SCF said:

All right, I finished my playthrough of beta 1. Since I've already played almost all maps before, I tried to focus on their difficulty and place in the WAD, as well as looking for any remaining bugs (good news, I only found a couple!).

Hide contents

The difficulty of the fights is tempered a lot by the generous resources. With the blue armor at the start and several supercharges you can afford to make a lot of mistakes.

By the way there's a missing texture in this map, on the floor at the last fight (SHAWNBL3)

I'll comment more properly later, but I want to mention I just fixed this texture error and it will be in the next beta. Handling textures in Doom is always more complicated than I think.

5 hours ago, SCF said:

I couldn't rank this map because there's a strategy that trivializes all the challenges. I recorded a demo because it's easier to show what I mean. The only danger is the first archvile coming up the stairs, but it's easy to prevent if you take it more slowly than I did here. The cyberdemon at the end is also pretty pathetic.

Damn, that's a pretty massive cheese. Don't know how I could fix that other than redesign the rooms and I don't know if I even have the motivation to do that.

Sadly, it might be easier just to omit the map from the wad.

10 minutes ago, Chainie said:

If i'll make vanilla-compatable map for this project would it be accepted?

As long as it got 30 monsters and is tested on DSDA-Doom too, yup!

I hope it's not a problem, but I had to update my map because I noticed you couldn't get 100% kills on HNTR. I also made it so you can exit the secret area straight away after pressing the switch rather than travel back around. It also has a death exit.

30mc_Bri_V3

On 2/2/2022 at 10:11 AM, SCF said:

I got some time to comment on your ordering so first off, thanks once again for your playtesting and for the detailed posts!

Now let's do this. I admit that while I said difficulty would be the way those maps are ordered, length and other things also play a role, and I'm prying to give the set a good rhythm.

Spoiler

'Crate Processing'

I'm a bit iffy on putting this map as the very first one of the set. It's an easy map, yeah, but as it exists right now I do not feel it's a right fit for the first map of the project. I'm probably going to move it to MAP04 though.

'Trapped in Remnants' and 'Caco by Caco'

Both easy maps, and both are well placed at 2 and 3 - a short map to follow MAP01, and a longer one to follow. Mostly trying to have a medium-short-medium-long-medium-short-medium order for the first seven maps of the set. ( after these two, Crate Processing -> Blueberry Castle -> Azure Crypt -> Dystrophia seems good enough.)

'Obsidian Ravine'

I initially went with Walter's map as MAP01 because even if it's harder than a lot of following maps, it wasn't that much of a jump in difficulty (At least I did not have much trouble with the outside area and the cyberdemon! 😅) and the map overall is what I was looking for in how long it is and how it looked. Unless a better fitting map comes around, it will probably remain there.

'Demon Electrica'

Bri's map was the opposite: I could have put it in the beginning of the second episode, but it felt best as the ending of E1. Even after we receive more maps, that will remain its position.

'Pitted Iron'

Will probably move this to E1. As you mentioned, most of the trouble is how tight on ammo this map is.

'Marine's Snowiest Base'

After replay, probably too much of a hot start for an episode opener. For now, putting 'Blu-Ray Pain' in the opening E2 instead - a replay went much smoother than I would have thought it went.

'Spider Testament'

OKAY YEAH WHAT THE FUCK WAS I THINKING PUTTING THIS IN THE SECOND EPISODE HOLY SHIT

(Serious though, I found the not-final fight relatively easy on first run when I shouldn't have. To E4 you go!)

'Patio Bloodbath'

I remember being really annoyed at the hidden arch-viles, but otherwise this annoyance spoke too much to me, agreed on that.

'Tomb of Nephren-Ka'

Gonna reevaluate and put this as the end of E2. Honestly having a bit of a hard time judging what's best for E2 and what's best for E3, really.

'ANTI-LIFE'

Saw the demo and yeah, that strategy trivialise the map. I would have kept the map regardless, but if WorriedIdiot is sure about removing it entirely...

On 2/2/2022 at 9:35 PM, Worriedidiot said:

Damn, that's a pretty massive cheese. Don't know how I could fix that other than redesign the rooms and I don't know if I even have the motivation to do that.

Sadly, it might be easier just to omit the map from the wad.

It might help to make the stairs different so enemies can get up more easily? I have to admit I don't know what the intended approach is since I never tried it... But I think it would be a shame to withdraw the map completely, even if there is a cheap solution.

Map Name: Cadence

Author: Chainie

Theme: Gothic/hell

Music: "Grave Town, Live Version" by Mark Klem

Difficulty Settings: not implemented yet

Ports Tested: Prboom 2.5.1.4, DSDA-Doom-0.21.3, Chocolate-Doom 3.0.0

Description: Map, mostly inspired by Chord series by Malcolm Sailor
Notes: I'll add Difficulty Settings later. And balance still needs a bit of tweaking imo, but it's already pretty playable. This map occupies map01 slot, but i'd like to have this map on the later slots. RSKY1 is replaced by RSKY3 from gothicdm, but it itsn't so important , so feel free to not include sky in compilation
30mc_Chainie.zip

Hey there, people ! Following Dac's suggestion about implementing death exits, I've updated my map in accordance with that :

30mcORIv2.zip

What changed :

Spoiler

- Added a very rudimentary, but functioning "death exit" sector. the exit lines no longer end the level, but teleport there instead .

- Added another trigger line for the SSG trap, just in case the normal ones do not work properly (somehow).

See you soon !