Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deleted Account

How do you personally play doom?

2 hours ago, ForeskinJohn said:

I was a GZDoom guy for a while, but lately ive learned to appreciate playing doom with PRBoom+ in 320x200 at 35 capped frames. I'd use chocolate or crispy doom but i can load so much more with boom, and it looks and plays just as faithful.

i recomend you use woof if u want crispyness + compatibility

i personally use dsda-doom with capped fps, comfiest controls yet.

I was a Crispy guy for the longest time, but my main port is DSDA-Doom since v0.21.3(, but tried and have most of the available source ports with different version numbers, and have huge respect towards Choco). Still missing the responsiveness of Crispy though. And the software renderer, because DSDA's is still input laggy (however PrBoom+ v2.6.2 has a tremendous leap forward in this matter, because the frame interpolation calculation has been improved, it's nothing like it was before; hopefully this will find its way to DSDA), so I use OpenGL/shaders, the mouse feels much less floaty that way.

Otherwise 640x480/4:3, no traslucency, filtering or any other crap like this, uncapped frame rate, V-Sync off, mouselook off, jumping off, advanced HUD on, carry fractional ticks off, no mods, and always -shorttics + appropriate complevel. If I'm playing a WAD for the first time, the gamma is properly low (and taking a LOAD of screenshots; if the WAD is really handsome/pretty/gorgeous/effin beautiful, the amount is in the hundreds : D), but for practice and runs, the gamma level is over 9000. Every weapon has its own seperate bind around WASD (Q - fist, 1 - chainsaw, 2 - pistol, R - sg/ssg, X - cg, C - rocket, F - plasma, V - BFG).  

In terms of peripherals: 144 Hz display, proper mechanical keyboard without num pad, high-end mouse and mouse pad (if you are interested in exact specs, check profile). I'd like to get a real Roland SC-55 unit sometime though! They are SO cool, but very pricey as well...

Usually pistol starting, barely saving, doing it right after level start, and only Ultra-Violence. UV stays, even if I shit bricks. : D If I'm not planning on playing completely loadless, I just set a keyframe here and there. Except for IWADs, those are stritcly pistol start/UV/no save. Usually I go for 100% kills when playing casually, but if it's too cumbersome, I tend to leave a few bastards alive to tell their friends the Apocalypse is KOMINK. >: D

For multiplayer, I prefer Odamex, since it's the most responsive out of the three big ports imo, and it has the most vanilla vibe out of them as well. Only using Z/GZDoom, when it's absolutely mandatory, meaning almost never, but I'm planning on playing a few total conversions needing it. Anyhow, if it gets fired up, the GFX and behaviour is set to as close to vanilla as possible.

Edited by Fluuschoen