Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Trashbang

Don't Turn Your Back On The City (Single-Player, Boom-Compatible)

Very nice use of stock textures! Will give this a run now.

It's very nice. It's not a long or particularly non-linear map as the description says, but the detailing/texturing is exquisite - rather than Brigandine (which does have similarities in color scheme and ceiling detail, to be sure), the main thing it reminded me of is some of the earlier Shadowman maps, such as Pieklo and the various Hellfires. I definitely hope this won't be the last map we'll see from you, despite what you stated.

Edited by Dynamo

28 minutes ago, Trashbang said:

something very silly I've forgotten about.

The exit is unmarked, I think.

28 minutes ago, Trashbang said:

I don't really have any interest in pursuing Doom mapping beyond this point.

Too bad then, because the map is great, and not just for a "first map"; I hope you're being facetious.

I was unable to finish it. It was cool up until you get after the Red Door Revenant room that opens back up near start with the big slow elevator and Big Cell packs. There was nowhere to go except in circles, so either I'm blind as heck or a trigger didn't fire to open a door or something, 

--I don't do this often, especially on first maps, but that kinda sucked mainly due to all the BROWN. 5/10

-- For what battles that I could fight 8/10 : Good use of using pinkys to cause ambushes.

-- Layout gets a 7/10 for a very believable city scape. 

-- 9/10 for the dripping Sewer overhang in the Bookcase secret.

2 hours ago, Trashbang said:

I sincerely hope you reconsider because this is a terrific map and I'd hate for such talent to not bloom further. Anyways, this is a wonderful WAD with brilliantly made layouts and an exquisite attention to detail. There's some fun set pieces and challenging combat, plus it has an intriguing atmosphere that makes it very enjoyable to explore. I really like this WAD and genuinely hope we'll see you make some more stuff in the future. I don't blame you if you feel burned out as this map must've taken quite some time to build, but I hope that feeling ebbs and you can dazzle us some more!

The attention to detail on this thing is astounding. One piece of detailing that really stuck out to me is the hotel rooms (monster closets) that open after grabbing the yellow key. One seems clean enough, but the next seems to have had its tenant's head impaled on a stick, with their bed cast in 2 pieces (mattress and frame) against adjacent walls. The use of the BRNSMALL textures as a bedframe is frankly genius, and the map is filled with shit like this. That being said, playing in DSDA-Doom I did find a few HOMs, which are usually pretty easily fixed by splitting the linedef they fall on. Another minor annoyance, the hanging corpses immediately after the red key door are blocking, and really messed with me, I thought it was a nodebuilder issue at first. Anywho, the gameplay was pretty basic with nothing too offensive or particularly interesting in terms of set ups, traps, incidental combat, but the layout was very good. I suppose with detailing like this, you'd want the player to visit areas multiple times, and as it happens, linear but interconnected maps are my favorite kinds of maps. To be honest, I think the level of detailing on display here could be compared to Antares031, or Viggles. I know you said you aren't interested in pursuing doom mapping, but I'd love to see your combat design chops meet with your well developed visuals and layout.

Here's a hmp demo. I echo what everyone else has said, I hope you find the inspiration to keep making maps, this is really good for a first map. Combat wasn't super demanding/unique but for a scrub like me it was 12 minutes of fun nonetheless. There were a couple of HOMs and the hanging corpses after the red key door block player movement however, and it would be nice for the exit to be marked.

dtybotcfda.rar

Hello, played in prboom+ UV. I'll echo others about the artistry here, it's really cool and impressive, with creative use of the stock textures - my favourites the yellow light "bulbs" in the reception, the big HOTEL sign, the gray and tan metal flats, and the midcages throughout. I was reminded of Bauul's "The Terraces", in its corrupted urban theme and several brawls on pavement. It's true that the high amount of cells are maybe a little too generous, specially if you get the earliest plasma gun (I didn't, so the pinkies/revenants trap played interestingly for me), though in general I didn't mind the sedate SSG-centric combat, it had some cute chaingunners on balconies, and a decent finale sort of reminiscent of Demonastery from a presentational perspective, although with an abrupt exit switch and no access back to previous areas - the latter not necessarily a flaw per se, though I wonder if you can run past the imps/cyb and hit the exit switch without fighting for it, hmm...

I will agree with Egg Boy and TeK on the hanging bodies, apart from messing movement (would have easily dodged revenant fire if I didn't get stuck all of a sudden), there was one lone rocket in a corner you can't grab with default infinite height on. You can set these decorations to non blocking via dehacked, if you want to. 

Another thing is I spotted two questionable monster block lines here and there, not sure why they exist but definitely not favoring monsters in any way. 

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

I'm really sorry about the hanging bodies—I've updated the download in the OP with a dehacked patch which should remove their collision (fingers crossed, never done this before). This wasn't an issue under GZDoom and somehow I never noticed them blocking me in the other source ports, I guess?

1 hour ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Another thing is I spotted two questionable monster block lines here and there, not sure why they exist but definitely not favoring monsters in any way.

Hmm, I'm not sure I recall the function of these ones. I think the former was to ensure that the pinky/archvile rush is fed into the arena, rather than wandering over into the adjacent alley. The latter might be to keep the mancubuses in there (since they start off behind the planter, they have a bit of a habit of wandering).

I definitely micromanaged a lot of these encounters more than I needed to, and some of them are definitely likely to break down if you stray too far or leave them unfinished. I think that was partially just a lack of confidence; feeling that I have to keep everything tightly controlled because I can't predict or even conceive of what people's experiences will be otherwise.

I absolutely love this map.
How many decades did it took to make?
It drowns not only in details but also atmosphere.
And it looking like a Quake map is great, because I love Quake. :-)
Now one imagine those kind of levels using 3D floors, portals, custom textures, slopes, brightmaps and dynamic lighting.
At that point I´m sure nobody could recognize it as the Doom Engine anymore.
I played it in GZDoom with everything except texture filtering on, Neural Upscale 2X, Brightmaps and a Monitor and the map looked fantastic.
I somehow get Bloodborne vibes and I have no idea why.
Love it.

This was superb. I wish every Doom2 city level looked like this.

Also, there's a HOM on the left structure in the final arena.

first map? (or maybe your first published map)? looks better than my first map.

anyway ill play this when i have time

Very fun combat. I haven't enjoyed playing a standalone map as much as this one in quite some time. I ran a bit low on SSG at a couple of points, but I later realised that was my fault as I had picked up a Berserk earlier on but then failed to use it.

On 12/12/2021 at 5:54 AM, Firedust said:

This was superb. I wish every Doom2 city level looked like this.

Also, there's a HOM on the left structure in the final arena.

There's also a small HOM on the right structure in the final arena.

On 12/11/2021 at 9:07 AM, Trashbang said:

I also hope you reconsider, because this was an excellent map.

Oh boy, this is really some really detailed map!

It was a really fun ride, gameplay on the easier side but with some beefier setpieces. Really awesome work. I spotted some HOMs and slime trails but these might be because of ZDoom.

Edited by Deadwing

I enjoyed this map. The level of detail is insane, especially with just vanilla assets. I loved the psych-out with the door to final area having a big dramatic opening and then having three zombiemen behind it :-). Combat encounters are fun without being overwhelming, and the finale showdown with the cyberdemon is cool. I liked the large distance between the mancubi and the cyberdemon, adds a bit of extra strategy to get them to in-fight rather than just immediately dodging a rocket and hiding.

One minor bug I found was that if you back out of the lift to the soulsphere secret before it goes up there is a missing lower texture and it soft-locks access to the secret. I also couldn't find a way back from the finale area (not sure if I am just blind and missed it), but my blind run ended with less than 100% kills since I was going to look for secrets after finishing the level.

Anyway, hope you do come back to mapping, since this was a lot of fun.

Wow!  This really is fantastic work!  Just beautifully detailed and I really enjoyed the combat.  

JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DAMN

Yeah, have to echo the general feeling on this one, it's a shame you seem so bent on giving up mapping. Honestly, this one is a fine effort, super detailed and tortuous, and this comes from a guy that usually hates 'real world' maps with a passion. Had lots of fun with it - if I had to level one criticism, I'd say it's actually HMP that is a bit undertuned.

image.png.dadc33d36f7ad27ac2600496479c62e6.png

On 12/11/2021 at 3:12 AM, Walter confetti said:

Wow! This looks..... Suspiciously similar to brigandine, a cacoward winning map from 4 years ago.

I mean, all highly detailed maps that use the stock textures are gonna look like this. Hellbound, anyone?