Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Major Arlene

Cacowards 2022 Mentionations Thread [mention projects / contributions that aren't levels too]

While it is a WIP, The Magenta Spire is in my opinion worth some attention from it’s intentional deviation of sanity and being a fantastic demonstration of abstract level design

I don't know where else to put this. I noticed that on the Cacoward 2019 page 3, the picture of the review for Remnant is no longer displayed, instead it just shows a grey wall with the text, "The image you are requesting does not exist or is no longer available."

Just in case that hasn't been noticed yet.

https://www.doomworld.com/cacowards/2019/best3/

Edited by Gregor

On 4/26/2022 at 10:50 AM, LadyMistDragon said:

A Lost World.

I've been enamored with this wad ever since I gave it a try on the first day it was up on idgames' latest files section. In particular: Maps 01, 02, 03, 08, 10 have been getting a lot of my attention... There's something about the way this wad is composed, I'm completely fine getting my back broken over and over by rude and brutal Archvile placement because they're almost meditative in their presentation. Things like putting ambient-ish midis, or at least midis that inspire a sense of foreboding dread, rather than being explicitly told you're about to get your teeth kicked in. Or that gorgeous green sky...

Here it is on idgames, for convenience.

Squenched Avacausage by @nova++

Very fun and creative mapset with some really memorable moments and just overall great use of Boom's features. This is something that you need to play yourself without spoilers. It's really worth it.

Ozonia. A lot of hard work has gone into this and it's brilliant right the way through.

Just A Mapset. Can't remember if this came out this year, but if it did it's worth a nomination because it's a really fun set.

Irkalla. Most recent one I played. Improves the old Doom in many ways with some exceptionally crafted modernisation. 

14 minutes ago, baja blast rd. said:

Putting together an Unofficial FAQ

Nice summary!  I especially think the part about the importance of other critical review outlets is crucial (e.g. MtPain, the Wadazine Awards (awards start on page 22, if anyone hasn't read them yet)).  The bigger variety of critical opinion the better, and I would personally love to see a portfolio of end-of-year summaries. 

Variety is the spice of life, and I wholeheartedly support anyone who spends the time thinking critically about Doom releases, regardless of the channel they use to communicate it.

12 hours ago, baja blast rd. said:

Very nicely put FAQ. Though another question I would like to see answered (this isn't my question, but a rewriting of a question I have recently read some people complain about) is:

If Cacowards are to honor each year's best Doom wads, then why does it also not have a separate column for the 10 most nominated/voted wads by members similar to how moddb has 2 columns, one for 10 best mods of editor's choice and one for 10 most voted mods?

They also said that the most nominated wads could just be a list of wads just mentioned on the sidebar without needing the judges to write review for them (to not burden the judges).

10 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Very nicely put FAQ. Though another question I would like to see answered (this isn't my question, but a rewriting of a question I have recently read some people complain about) is:

If Cacowards are to honor each year's best Doom wads, then why does it also not have a separate column for the 10 most nominated/voted wads by members similar to how moddb has 2 columns, one for 10 best mods of editor's choice and one for 10 most voted mods?

They also said that the most nominated wads could just be a list of wads just mentioned on the sidebar without needing the judges to write review for them (to not burden the judges).

I don't want to speak for rd., but it sounds an awful lot like it's covered under "there is nothing ever stopping another group of people from doing anything you might want". Just a tally of the most nominations in this here thread? Fuck, I'll put my hand up for doing that.

On 5/13/2022 at 12:14 PM, baja blast rd. said:

Excellent FAQ! Although I think the casual reader will probably just assume the Cacowards are more worth their time, if for no other reason, they only have time for so much. I salute your efforts to change that mentality though.

Pac-Man Doom has been amazing. I expected the gimmick to wear off, but there is a surprising amount of variety here. Maps are short, challenging, and fun, which makes the replay value really high

I want to mention Dreamcatcher Apparatus

Incredible work, the most consistent wad until now by the DBP Team, in terms of design and difficulty. Also, it looks gorgeous! Thank you so much to the mappers!

Been ruminating on it a lot recently, Legion of the Balls of Steel (dw thread) makes an excellent case for how important it is to welcome direct remixing of existing work. Writing a love letter in the form of re-contextualizing some of your favorite experiences in Doom is just cool. Seeing an empty and charred piece of Dimensions, directly prior to being thrown into another clusterfuck, is perfect for instantly building an ominous feeling.

On 5/14/2022 at 11:07 AM, Not Jabba said:

In other words, the vote would be biased toward people who are active in one particular place, which, among other more basic problems, could also lead to groups of people attempting to deliberately leverage that bias.

There is that, yeah. Though there's usually at least one or two projects per year that most people would agree deserve the coveted award (Eviternity was a mapset that was nearly universally praised by those who played and won the year it was released).

Personally I think the format is mostly fine the way it has been in the last handful of years since it's now about ~30 individual mapset or mod projects get some sort of mention. Which gives anyone who stumbles upon it a good idea of what the best of the best was for that year. I've linked it more than a few times for people looking to get more mileage out of their Doom playing experiences.

This thread is a good place too, since with people not reviewing new maps any more, it falls on the community to point out which mapsets and mods are worth playing. I check in every week to two weeks or so to see if any new projects get mentioned.

Irkalla: 

A gorgeous reimagining of the original Inferno episode. Superb gameplay and stunning visuals.

Wholeheartedly nominating Jumpwad by Grain of Salt and Ribbiks: I haven't had a mapset awaken this kind of glee in me since Hocusdoom.

On 4/30/2022 at 4:22 PM, nue said:

While it is a WIP, The Magenta Spire is in my opinion worth some attention from it’s intentional deviation of sanity and being a fantastic demonstration of abstract level design

+Magenta Spire. The most creative and interesting wad with "traditional" Doom gameplay that I've seen in a while. Really creative levels, great MBF dehacked work, interesting sprites and palette, etc. Definitely a winner imo.

I'd like to nominate Altars of Madness.

This wad consists of 12 maps. It has it all: creative encounter design, resulting in challenging but fair fights, beautiful visuals with each map having its own color theme, cool secrets, great midi selection - and all of that leads to a great experience overall with certain educational value for those who want to practice micro-slaughterish crumped space encounters.