Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Major Arlene

Cacowards 2022 Mentionations Thread [mention projects / contributions that aren't levels too]

+1 Doom CE

Loved the additions and effects it adds to PSX Doom and Doom 64 while not being overly distracting. Though it was released a few months ago, it made its formal release here on DW just a few days ago. But let me know if Doom CE can still be up for the 2022 Cacowards!

+1 Sign of Torment

Playtested this WAD, and it has just been finished. Atmosphere-heavy and filled to the brim with BooM features I never even knew existed, this was one of more captivating WADs I have played. If you liked 3 is a Crowd, give this one a go. Starter maps are a bit weaker, though.

EDIT: For those that like their WADs to have a story, this one is also for you.

Let's go for my 2nd year of Doom. Even if I started playing on 2019 and made the account in 2020, I felt like I belonged here in early 2021 as I learnt more stuff about Doom and I went deeper in the community. Keep Dooming bros

6 hours ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Can you nominate individual people for things like the code award? Or can we only nominate wads / pk3s / dehs / etc.?

I don't see anything wrong with mentionating individuals for people-centric awards, so long as you can give a decent enough reason as to why. Even if it is obvious.

ie. Instead of just "I mention GokuTesticles69!", "I think GokuTesticles69 should get the CodeAward for adding ragdoll physics to prBoom!"

2 hours ago, BeeWen said:

I recommend playing this project for those who have not played.
The design used only standard textures, with the exception of the sky.

This is not a place to advertise your own project. Please read the original post next time, before you post something here. If someone else played your project, and they liked it, they'll post a recommendation of your project here.

On 12/11/2021 at 9:12 AM, Wavy said:

+1 Doom CE

Loved the additions and effects it adds to PSX Doom and Doom 64 while not being overly distracting. Though it was released a few months ago, it made its formal release here on DW just a few days ago. But let me know if Doom CE can still be up for the 2022 Cacowards!

Since Doom CE had a major update and first official Doomworld post just a week ago, likely qualifies it for the 2022 Cacowards I think! Molecicco spent years generating PBR assets, shaders, and using undocumented features of GZDoom to really make this special. For a while it would only run on the development branch of GZDoom. Plus it isn't an easy task to please old school Doom 64 fans while running on the cutting edge features, yet Molecicco managed to do it.

I could see since it is also based upon the work of Doom 64 Retribution and GEC Master Edition, that they could all get a special shout out. A group of ports and adaptations based upon GZDoom to make Doom 64 more accessible, feature rich, and pushing the engine's limits.

32 minutes ago, Horus said:

+1 to Zandronum 3.1 for the Mordeth award :P

Aww, 2 years between versions isn't that long :^)

I'd like to nominate Rampancy by Yholl with sprites by Cherno. This is an enemy replacement mod that replaces the demons with robots, robots with all new art and attacks that can be altered to one's liking through the mod's extensive option menu. It also has a ton of built in compatibility with other mods including all of Yholl's mods (legendoom, final doomer, DRLA), but things such as Guncaster, samsara and even hideous destructor. The mod has been in development for some time and is still being tweeked from time to time.

The amazing thing about this mod is just how well it fits into Doom. Robots are one of the classic villains of games, it's amazing no one has thought about adding them to Doom. Highly recommend.

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=67193

Edited by RomDump

6 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Aww, 2 years between versions isn't that long :^)

4 years actually. Although I do agree that it is not that long.

17 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

4 years actually. Although I do agree that it is not that long.

Version 3.0 came out in 2017, 3.01 in 2019, and 3.1 in 2021 (unless I'm missing something here)

7 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Version 3.0 came out in 2017, 3.01 in 2019, and 3.1 in 2021 (unless I'm missing something here)

I didn't realize there was a 3.01 version.

+E1M5 - Phobos Lab remake

+Don't Turn Your Back On The City

Two really nice single map releases with very detailed architecture

On 12/17/2021 at 6:24 AM, ReaperAA said:

I didn't realize there was a 3.01 version.

There was a bunch of unstable, officially unsupported beta versions. Doomkid is overexaggerating, it truly has been 4 years since the last official release.

So the versions from 2019 that are provided on Zandronum.com’s own site are unsupported? I’ve used 3.0.1 pretty much since it came out and never once has it crashed on me.. @Blzut3 is it true the version on this page was unofficial? - https://zandronum.com/downloads/?C=M;O=D

It’s not in the “testing” or “unofficial” dirs, I’m thinking it’s legitimate.

3.0.1 was a supported release, so @Doomkid you are technically correct which is the best kind of correct.  However given that the release simply patched two server exploits (which is to say as a client 3.0 and 3.0.1 are identical) I think for all practical purposes it's absolutely fair to say that Zandronum hadn't gotten an update in 4 years.