Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Major Arlene

Cacowards 2022 Mentionations Thread [mention projects / contributions that aren't levels too]

+1 Ozonia.

For ESPI, I think we could nominate quite a few people as an option, including perhaps skillsaw (for his maps), boris and UDB team (for UDB), and maybe even (quite possibly) Doomkid.

I want to post 1 Bad Wad, not necessarily to say it's Prime Caco Material, but to encourage anyone who might be put off by the self-deprecating title to give it a go. I've played through it a few times now and I find it full of interesting stylization, whether intentional or not. The way that solid colors end up completely removing any sense of depth in some rooms makes for a feeling I can't recall feeling very much in Doom. I would honestly liken the aesthetic to something you'd find on an indie dev's itch.io page, particularly the urban-ish levels... And honestly, I would venture as far as saying that MAP05, MAP07, and MAP10 are straight up beautiful in their simplicity. I never knew I wanted flowers drawn on the ceiling of a forced pacifist arena.

+JAM

Spoiler

I'm replaying it now and I'm liking it even more than the first time. It feels like more than the sum of it's parts though the small QoL stuff like weap switch and fire speed increases are much appreciated. If it's not caco material now then when all 3 eps are done I imagine it will be.

@Gibbon for the code award.

On top of making Pooch, ReBoom and it's experimental branch, Retro ZDoom, and Sprinkled Doom, he has also contributed a ton of upkeep in porting and updating many classic engines, which you can find here

It's clear he has a passion for Doom and programming, and the level of dedication for porting all of these to Intel Mac, ARM Mac, Linux, BSD, and Windows and the thorough dedication to keeping historical ports playable is something to be commended. Especially since this community focuses so much on preservation. 

On 1/8/2022 at 6:45 PM, Dusty_Rhodes said:

@Gibbon for the code award.

On top of making Pooch, ReBoom and it's experimental branch, Retro ZDoom, and Sprinkled Doom, he has also contributed a ton of upkeep in porting and updating many classic engines, which you can find here

It's clear he has a passion for Doom and programming, and the level of dedication for porting all of these to Intel Mac, ARM Mac, Linux, BSD, and Windows and the thorough dedication to keeping historical ports playable is something to be commended. Especially since this community focuses so much on preservation. 

With work like that, it might be time to start considering him for the Espi Lifetime Achievement Award. Though I'm just a random guy who occasionally pops in to post a reply on something and not really a super active community member.

Sign of Torment  - Reminds me of ALT and Three's a Crowd, starts out a bit weak but gets great later. 

Don't Turn Your Back on the City - Serious Hellbound vibes for a single level.

Akashic Migraine

Reality disintegration aesthetic + a dash of slaughter + platforming that appears harder than it actually is. Almost seems like it was made for me. :)

18 hours ago, RomDump said:

Bydofied by Captain J

Version 1.0 was released about a month ago. So far, it's a really promising gameplay mod with interesting play and aesthetic. More content will be added throughout the year, but worth a solid play in its current state.

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=74293

That mod is no doubt a reference to the ironic Irem space shooter R-Type:

The Bydo Empire is the antagonist of that series.

Edited by Master O

Code award +1 for Julian Nechaevsky for his International Doom (formerly: Russian Doom) port. A highly versatile mix of Chocolate/Crispy Doom and Doom Retro plus many very nice optional enhancements like automap overlay, brightmaps, widescreen graphics and more. Also comes with Heretic/Hexen support and some bonus features like Jaguar Doom emulation. And you can always switch to vanilla-like visuals with a simple launch parameter, overriding config settings without overwriting them. For me, the whole package just hits the sweet spot. 

Also listening very carefully to user feedback on Github, btw.

Edited by NightFright

For codeaward, I'd nominate Beloko. Although I'm not using it (I strongly doubt it'd even run on my old 2015-vintage phone), I can't help but be impressed by what Delta-Touch has achieved. A single convenient package of many ports that can run not just Doom, Doom II, Heretic, Hexen, Strife, Chex Quest, Hacx, and co. but also Doom 3 and Resurrection of Evil! He also has Quad Touch for Quake engine games (including Hexen II) and Zeta Touch for Build engine games (including Ion Fury), using the same principle of bundling together several engines in a convenient package with a single configuration interface. In addition to these mobile endeavors, he also wrote an OpenGLES renderer allowing to use GZDoom on potatoes.

+++Vigor by Eggboy and co.

Superb Doom II megawad.

Edited by Firedust