Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lutz

GZDoom Darkness Gradients

The screenshots below illustrate nested sectors separated by 8 lighting units (104..136) from close and far.  My issue with the second screenshot is that there appears to be a much grosser difference between the light and dark sectors -- the subtle gradients visible in the first shot just disappear into a binary "light" and "dark" in a way unlike other renderers.  Is this somehow inherent to GZDoom (I'm using 4.3.3.0) or is there a graphical setting I should tweak?

Also, is there a series of screenshots highlighting some/all of the various color/shading options the GZDoom introduces?  Floor and ceiling glow are pretty straightforward, but I'm curious if there is a resource that illustrates, say, how dynamic lights behave in the presence of sector colors.

Thanks!

Screenshot_Doom_20211212_222619.png

Screenshot_Doom_20211212_222646.png

I don't know if this helps but I can point you to a setting in GZDoom 4.7.1. Go to Options > Display Options > Hardware Renderer > Sector Light Mode = Press left or right arrow keys to change the setting.

This link talks about the setting.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/OpenGL_options

This link is from the previous link but it talks about being able to set a light mode for your wad/map to override a users preference.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/CVARs:Display#gl_lightmode

you might also find this comparison image helpful:

TOrR0jR.png

the brightness gradient here goes 8 units at a time/per line here - so you can really see how flat the lighting is in the "standard" and "bright" modes

edit: apparently "dark" is the default mode, which has a really steep dropoff once you start getting down there in brightness. so if you change that to something with a more uniform dropoff (I use "vanilla" these days which was added in one of the newer GZDoom versions, but imo "software" is also quite good), you'll probably start to see something that more closely matches your expectations

Edited by Tango

4 hours ago, Lutz said:

The screenshots below illustrate nested sectors separated by 8 lighting units (104..136) from close and far.  My issue with the second screenshot is that there appears to be a much grosser difference between the light and dark sectors -- the subtle gradients visible in the first shot just disappear into a binary "light" and "dark" in a way unlike other renderers.  Is this somehow inherent to GZDoom (I'm using 4.3.3.0) or is there a graphical setting I should tweak?

Also, is there a series of screenshots highlighting some/all of the various color/shading options the GZDoom introduces?  Floor and ceiling glow are pretty straightforward, but I'm curious if there is a resource that illustrates, say, how dynamic lights behave in the presence of sector colors.

Thanks!

Screenshot_Doom_20211212_222619.png

Screenshot_Doom_20211212_222646.png

This is an issue due to the way gzdoom renders the default fog, which is why it is more noticeable at a distance. There is a big visual jump between 128 and 129 brightness. Fortunately you don't have to bang your head against this for as long as I did because there is a solution! Any manually entered fade setting will get rid of this. If you don't want coloured fog you can set it as something very close to black with a density value of 1.

Also definitely update your gzdoom. There have been vast improvements since 4.3.x