Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yugiboy85

[PRBOOM+, CL9] TECHGROWN - WIP - DEMO MAP AVAILABLE

Nice to see some more of your mapping, ... but I'll wait until you finish it xD.

37 minutes ago, Yugiboy85 said:

The map uses the syringe palette (i believe it is the 32in24 one), included in the demo map. 

Can you explain a bit how to work with pallettes? 

Ha, yeah, well basically, I just copied the "syringe" palette from well "syringe" (it's the "PLAYPAL" and "COLLORMAP" lumps) into my map and that's it. It loads as intended in game.

On some more advanced palettes (like ancient aliens for example), you'd have to remap the sprites and everything (slade 3 has nice options for this) but, thankfully, the 32in24 one doesn't really need that at all. It replaces the blues and red I believe to make them more vibrant (the red mainly). It doesn't really have any effect on the sprites afaik. 

Granted, I'm no expert on the topic so it's just my understanding ^^

And yeah, I can understand the waiting part :D 

I just put a demo here for those interested in having a feel of things. 

Edited by Yugiboy85

11 hours ago, Noise said:

Can you explain a bit how to work with pallettes? 

Many WADs have a custom pallette built in, all this means is that the visual color range is changed up.  If you are playing the WAD on its own you don't need to do anything but play, but if you try to play it with a gameplay mod that adds new graphics, it could fuck with the new graphics and make them look off, how off they look depends on how much has been altered in the color range.  As Yugi said, this shouldn't mess with too much in that regard, but something like Ancient Aliens might make modded graphics look like fruity pebbles, lol 

I haven't dig on it but I guessed what you wrote, that explains why some Wads had unused stock textures tinted.

What a beautiful level, it kind of reminded me of antares levels with those visuals. The fights were amazing, I love the usage of traps (though I was kind of expecting them after playing the moon series). The secrets are also really well hidden, I only managed to find one on my own (and by accident :P).

Spoiler

I'm still not quite sure how to know (without cheating) that I can lower that wall for the secret soulsphere, it looks like any other wall but maybe I'm missing a small detail/clue.

I almost did it single segment but died right at the exit :(.

I can't wait for the full set to release!

Ay, thanks for playing blip. Glad you enjoyed this. 

Spoiler

Re secret wall, yeah, I kinda get that it is obscure. The "hint" is with the decoration corpses in front of it. One of them is not like the others (the dead player one). Granted, it's not the best of hints but yeah :D 

Also, if you open the automap, I made sure that the linedef was not hidden so it looks different from the red lines next to it. 

@VanaheimRanger

Yeah, I'm just confortable with cl9 haha. Haven't tried mbf21 yet but, it does look interesting :D 

Edited by Yugiboy85

This was quite good and a promising demo for your upcoming project, looking forward to it!

Oh wow, I did not expect this, thanks alos :D 

BTW, I would like to clear up some confusion regarding the song. 

The song on the map isn't "temple" by esselfortium (I obviously can't use that one since it's for btsx 3) but, I understand the confusion as it is the song that kinda made me come up with the idea for this project. 

The actual song used is "sanctuary" by AD_79, a song heard previously in his tarnsman contest map and also, 1klines3 

But heh, no harm done :D 

Oh wow, it's been a year almost hasn't it? 

Some update is long overdue on the current state of the project. It's still in the works (I've actually picked it up recently) but, it has admitedly been a slow progress. 

My original plans were to have this thing done by the end of this year but, it's not looking likely. Various reasons:

- Work 

- Actually mapping for vanilla (which has been tons of fun but, also, quite a learning curve). 

- Lack of ideas, but that's all good now i think

So yeah, this project will come out. Im really pleased with how it turned out so far. Just bear with me for some time. 

I am going to have to revise my initial plans though. Originally, i wanted to make 4-5 maps for this but, let's be real, i wont be able to. I will probably make 3 maps (2 of which are complete) for this. There may be some surprises along the way though, who knows hehe