Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

The /newstuff Chronicles #112

You thought you were rid of me, eh? Well, you'll have no such luck. deathzor apparently decided to take an extended vacation without telling anyone, so I offered my reviewing services, stepping behind the podium for the first time after so many months of watching my peons do it for me. The offerings this week are thin, but include a few gems you're sure to like. Or not. Either way is fine with me.

• Scraping Away The Flesh by Steve Lambert
    (wad) - (txt) - doom.exe - SP - (img) (img)
    The text file says that this is the first WAD this guy has ever finished, and it's a hell of a way to start. It's for Doom 1, and it's got a nice helly-fleshy feel going on, with those great pinkish skin and snake textures and so on. The level starts you out in a rather enclosed area, and you press a series of switches to lower the walls around you one by one, expanding the playing field while releasing baddies at the same time. It even has one or two "tricks" which I must admit got me. Played on UV I was able to beat it the first time, but ammunition was pretty scarce at times, being only down to the pistol at one point and having nothing but rockets at another. Overall, it's certainly worth playing, and I hope the author keeps making more levels as he seems to have quite a knack for it.

• In Death's Embrace by Patrik Höglund
    (wad) - (txt) - doom2.exe - SP - (img) (img)
    To be honest, I didn't play this level all the way through, because it's kinda big and has a lot of hard monsters in it. Within thirty seconds you're already fighting barons and revenants and mancubi, and the level never lets up. The theme is the standard Doom 2 brown-tech-base look, which has been done a thousand times before, but it still looks fine. Since the level was made to run in doom2.exe the detail level isn't too high, but it still looks pretty nice. The level seemed awfully cramped at times, especially for the number of high-level enemies there are, but opinions differ on if that's good or bad so I won't pass judgement. Overall, it looks like a solid map, but nothing extraordinary.

• The Library by "The Net Nomad"
    (wad) - (txt) - doom2.exe - SP - (img) (img)
    The text file says it has no bugs, but when I tried playing it, I soon got stuck in a room where both doors were closed with no way to open them, and one of which had no texture. Uh, hello? Playtesting? I didn't bother finishing it, since it looked like the usual boring level with all 90-degree angles and no detailing. On the automap I think I saw one of those big twisty single-sector mazes too, which are always death. I made one of those in a level back in 1996 and it was stupid even then. Seven years later, nothing has changed.

• REVOLUTION! by Thomas van der Velden
    (wad) - (txt) - doom2.exe? - SP - (img) (img)
    Apparently "REVOLUTION!" is a 32-level megawad for Doom 2 with new sprites, flats, and textures, but I wouldn't know. The text file says to use DEUSF to install the WAD so you can play it, so I didn't even bother. I mean, come on, DEUSF was made obsolete in what, 1995? Even before the release of the source code there was absolutely no need to make people use DEUSF to play their WAD, even if it had new sprites and textures, simply by setting up the entries in the WAD correctly. In 2003, it's just a sign of ignorance. Or as deathzor would surely say if he was here, it shows that the author's decaying brain is packed full of maggot-infested horse shit and his mother sucks cocks in hell. The text file says that this WAD was released in 2001, which doesn't even make it new, although 2001 wasn't so long ago either. I visited the webpage -- which is on GeoCities so I won't link it because it'll just get killed, if you want to see it read the text file -- and the screenshots looked alright. I suppose it could be fun, but you'll have to find out for yourself.

UPDATE: Apparently it is quite good and I am an asshole

• Winger by Pascal "Gherkin" vd Heiden
    (wad) - (txt) - Doom Legacy - DM - (img) (img)
    The text file says it's for hardware accelerated Doom Legacy only, but it seemed to work fine in software. In any event, it's a deathmatch level. I didn't DM anyone on it, so I can't really pass judgement. It looks pretty good, and it uses 3D well, what with multiple levels and all. It looks as if it would be decent for deathmatch, but what do I know? If you DM with Doom Legacy then I guess you might want to try it out.

• Zort 9 by Cyb
    (wad) - (txt) - ZDoom - SP - (img) (img)
    Cyb strikes again with another cool ZDoom-only WAD. In this ninth installment of the Zort series, the Doom marine is dropped into a dark gothic-y map with lots of neat ZDoom effects. Crap teleports around, you're bombarded with messages, your weapons are stolen and given back to you, enemies are activated when you step over lines or pick up certain things, and so on and so on. Each Zort seems to be better than the last, and this is no exception. It's not particularly long or difficult, but Cyb has realized that the whole point of Doom levels is to enjoy yourself, so he's ensured that you're always doing something new, and you're never stuck in the rut of running around looking for a switch, or facing down 500 imps, or anything of the sort. If you like Doom, you ought to like this map. Oh yeah, and I thought up the Doom marine's one-liners. You'll see what I mean.

Tvr was relatively unknown till recently, when Scientist recommended it back when he released his WAD (scientist.) Then people started checking it out and eventually people started recording demos for it, and a demo pack is in the works for it, near completion if not done by now.

About the DEUSF method: You can't use new sprites along with doom2 unless you use either the older method Tvr uses, or the DEH method described here on Doomworld. You have to choose between the clumsier DEUSF method or the other one which requires a DEH file. The DEUSF method, when chosen needs be used only if you you choose to use doom2 to play the WAD (as did the people recording the demo pack) and any modern port does NOT require DEUSF to play such a WAD. You just use -file with the "uninstalled" WAD and it runs as on doom2 having used DEUSF on it (which just adds stuff from the IWAD into the PWAD.) So the DEUSF method is not really outdated or anything if you plan to release something with doom2 compatibility.

Ignorance is writing a review for a damn fine wad without even playing it.

Hyena said:
Hope a flame war doesn't ensue.

Vile said:
Ignorance is writing a review for a damn fine wad without even playing it.

Too late.

Well, he told us *why* he didn't play them, so how does that make him ignorant?

BTW, am I the only one who thought that Zort 8 sucked? It wasn't fun. It was running around in sludge that gradually corroded your health, while dozens of imps and cacodemons scraped away at me. Sure, the monsters were pink and green and there was fog or something, but who cares?

wow -- Hoglund, Watson, and vdVelden all in the same /newstuff. We are spoiled. :)
TVR is one of a handful of wads ever released that is better than the doom2 Iwads, IMO.
Fun and DOOM have never mixed together so well like they do in TVR.

Funny, I had been wondering how a reviewer might possibly find a way to hate the brilliant TVR. This possibility hadn't occurred to me at all.

BTW, there already is one demopack (speedruns by me) for it; there is a second one (max runs by some really good players) nearing completion.

I will check back, when I have played the rest of the wads, but TVR!.wad is very fine megawad, if you remember it was one person there made :)
The style in TVR also have something there look like real world building.

It was all for now...

Opulent said:

wow -- Hoglund, Watson, and vdVelden all in the same /newstuff. We are spoiled. :)

You're damn right we are. Brats, too. I see a new wadmaker has joined the doom ranks, too. This a very very happy day for Virgil. :)

A reviewer should always play/see/read/hear what he is reviewing. Even if he knows it is shit.

Thomas apparantly is a great Doom2.exe fan and therefore the Deusf message makes sense.

Not the best /newstuff reviews I've seen, but certainly one of the most entertaining to read.

Question: Would it be possible to have the screenshot links in future /newstuff reviews open up in new browser windows. I tend to open up the images in new windows and let the shots load in the background whilst I'm reading the review, but it gets tedious doing 'rightclick->open in new window' multiple times (especially when we are presented with 5 or 6 shots for certain levels (which has happened in the past). Call me lazy, but I'd be happier just running my mouse along the icons and going 'left click' on each one and, after all, whats more important than my happiness ;)

Didn't know that. I can be such dumbass at times.

What me? Not reading the instruction manual? I don't know what you're talking about. :)

Grazza said:

Funny, I had been wondering how a reviewer might possibly find a way to hate the brilliant TVR. This possibility hadn't occurred to me at all.

Well, it wasn't a big project made by a high-profile team (otherwise he would have to say it's one of the best wads ever) but it's more likely there wasn't enough time to play it. (we only found out yesterday that deathz0r couldn't do #112, so someone needed to step in quickly)

I think I shall review it myself when my turn comes around (unless Hyena wants to) as I'm gonna play it soon anyway. (once I've finished MM2)

Ultimate DooMer:
I think I shall review it myself when my turn comes around

I think that would be appreciated; TVR!.wad deserves a fair review.

Not saying a wad can be used with a source port as an alternative to Deusf in the text file is inexcusable in this day and age. I agree with Ling. Had I stumbled across this while browsing /idgames I would have taken one look at the text file and skipped right over it.

Cyb said:

Not saying a wad can be used with a source port as an alternative to Deusf in the text file is inexcusable in this day and age. I agree with Ling. Had I stumbled across this while browsing /idgames I would have taken one look at the text file and skipped right over it.

you're just standing up for him because he gave you a good review

I thought TVR! was good. The overall design of it was nice. The architecture seems to have some realistic features, and that is something I like. I haven't played all of it (just went up to MAP10 then I stopped to go to bed.) But I think the rest of it will be really good. So overall, I'd say this megawad is worth downloading. :)

UAC PR Dept said:

Well, he told us *why* he didn't play them, so how does that make him ignorant?

If you're going to judge a wad by the installation or what is said in the text file, you might be ignorant. It's hardly a chore unless you write reviews, apparently.

[EDIT] Perhaps that response was too harsh, but really, at least PLAY the wad before you judge it. In this case and others, you won't regret it. :)

Downloading the stuff right now. First one in ghost02.zip I'm wondering how the zip file made it into the archive without a copy of the text inside the zip. Oh well.

TVR is also a British sports car company named after it's founder TreVoR (seriously). Problem is, I'm currently downloading a wad that my addled brain keeps telling me is called Trevor.