Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfredo

Community Project: Fluid Dynamics: A Crash Course On Doom's Liquids!

So, anyone feels like giving this little guy a try? really needs testing!

Name: Plasma Factory (will change - it was born as a techbase but the name probably doesn't fit it much now).

IWAD: Doom 2.

Ports tested: GZDoom, might work on others but for now I'm focusing on target port.

Textures: mostly stock provided, I added some rfhelltex because creative licenses yadda yadda. Will remove them if it's *really* that much of a problem. For testing purposes I also already baked in the liquids scripts, so no need (I think at least?) to load them separately. Sky is from Box O'Skies.

MIDI: 'Dungeon' from Legend of Zelda. Or so they tell me. Never played that stuff.

Notes: Use the liquids! Health is very scarce and some encounters are pretty much unbeatable unless you exploit the liquids on the floor to bait enemies and withstand enemy fire. 

I understand the project hasn't seen much activity lately, so I'm not sure what its status is - but here is the alpha of my burnt offering. If the project somehow doesn't take off, I'm sure no one would mind if I recycle it for something else? though it'd be a shame, the concept is awesome and it would be nice to have a ZScript oriented project for once.

Spoiler

LaX437f.png

Lfy8Jry.png 

I want to be part of this CP... But at this time I am not sure about slot. Is that OK?

Edited by RastaManGames

3 hours ago, Thelokk said:

lately, so I'm not sure what its status is - but here is the alpha of my burnt offering. If the project somehow doesn't take off, I'm sure no one would mind if I recycle it for something else? though it'd be a shame, the concept is awesome and it would be nice to have a ZScript oriented project for once.

The project is most certainly not dead. There are still 4 weeks until the deadline. Plus, other people are involved in a ton of other projects at the moment. Regardless of whether we get 1 submission or a full 32. I still plan to compile and release everything as a complete project. 

Ill give your map some feedback once i get home from work.

2 hours ago, RastaManGames said:

want to be part of this CP... But at this time I am not sure about slot. Is that OK?

Sure. I could roll a dice for you if you would prefer that. But theres no hard order to things. Difficulty curve with this sort of gimmick is going to be all over the place inevitably. :)

Can I use not *.mid, but heavily compressed *.ogg? Please! (⌣̩̩́_⌣̩̩̀)

There is one music track that perfectly matching with my map...

9 hours ago, RastaManGames said:

Can I use not *.mid, but heavily compressed *.ogg? Please! (⌣̩̩́_⌣̩̩̀)

There is one music track that perfectly matching with my map...

I would prefer to keep things smaller in filesize. Only .Mid please.

1 hour ago, Alfredo said:

I would prefer to keep things smaller in filesize. Only .Mid please.

Any suggestion of good dark ambients in *.mid then?..

By the way, my compressed track has only 1 Mb in weight and I am not gonna add any custom textures, beside sky. Only vanilla galore.

Edited by RastaManGames

While waiting for @Alfredo's feedback, I had some free time so I cooked up a v2 based on @Silent Wolf's and a private playtester's feedback:

PlasmaFactoryv2

Changelog:

- Made some encounters more unforgiving of not utilizing the liquids to their fullest.

- Fixed some softlocks.

- Put some platforms to get out of pits. Won't hear me say 'git gud' for once. Be happy.

- Modified to use only provided textures. Looks a bit dull, but them's the rules. 

- Pumped up brightness. I'm sick and tired of people telling me my maps are too dark.

19 hours ago, RastaManGames said:

Any suggestion of good dark ambients in *.mid then?..

By the way, my compressed track has only 1 Mb in weight and I am not gonna add any custom textures, beside sky. Only vanilla galore.

TNTR.zip

I used this one in a prior map of mine. Nice dark ambient without being too prevalent. Quite a nice track. (Not sure who to credit. Recieved it from someone else.)

After I end up my map, you really should check it out with my chosen OST.
If you will not be pleased, then I am gonna change OST to something else.

Damn, I have privilege to use UMDF as map format, but can't use modern song format for it... 
Please, don't think about me like I am grumpy mountain dwarf. I just freaking LOVE music.

P.S.: By the way, can you, please, add a brown slimefall?(

Edited by RastaManGames

Plasma Factory v3

changelog:

- adjusted archvile alert system so as to be less obtrusive.

- adjusted shotgunner ambush to be a bit more brutal.

- adjusted arachnotron to be an ambush instead of a static enemy.

- adjusted cyberdemon trap to be a tad bit harder to cheese, also added a punishment for failure. Enhanced bizzarro abstraction of the trap in general. Keeping the chance to fail crushing both becuse that's part of the challenge.

Thanks to @Alfredo and @DavidN for the further feedback. A planned extra playtester kinda poofed into nothingness so, unless there are some major bugs / unfun with this one, I'd call it the final version. I'd cast a Spell: Summon @Biodegradable if I could, but they don't like my stuff no more because I fed them a "A**hole Map" once.

;)

Edited by Thelokk

Map Name: Stiff Steel.

Author: RastaManGames.

Format: UMDF.

Theme: Base/Lava/Demonic/Steel.

Textures: Vanilla galore.

Music: "Dreams_Troubler.MOD" (Can be found here, but I don't know, who made it.)

Difficulty Settings: Not implemented. (Go hard, veteran player!)

Multiplayer: All 8 player starts for cooperative, but 0 player starts for deathmatch. (If you want nice DM experience, there is nice DM WADs already.)

Ports Tested: "GZDoom V4.7.1" (all works fine with it).

Description: After almost drowning in blood pool you was sucked in into something like blood storage. Looks like it was an UAC base inside of volcano, but sudden demonic invasion turn it into evil's den. You can smell stuffed blood and rusted metal. Prepare for high temperatures, because hot air gonna get on your nerves. Maybe some magic liquids can help you?

Notes: Jumping and crouching are truly allowed. (You will need one for reach one secret and another for escaping some tight spaces.)

Known Bugs: For the moment, I know 0 of it. I hope, that several tests for myself was useful.

(File was removed to resolve some space on my DW account... Contact me if you want to resurrect this CP with my map in it...)

Edited by RastaManGames

43 minutes ago, RastaManGames said:

Map Name: Stiff Steel.

Author: RastaManGames.

Format: UMDF.

Theme: Base/Lava/Demonic/Steel.

Textures: Vanilla galore.

Music: "Dreams_Troubler.MOD" (Can be found here, but I don't know, who made it.)

Difficulty Settings: Not implemented. (Go hard, veteran player!)

Multiplayer: All 8 player starts for cooperative, but 0 player starts for deathmatch. (If you want nice DM experience, there is nice DM WADs already.)

Ports Tested: "GZDoom V4.7.1" (all works fine with it).

Description: After almost drowning in blood pool you was sucked in into something like blood storage. Looks like it was an UAC base inside of volcano, but sudden demonic invasion turn it into evil's den. You can smell stuffed blood and rusted metal. Prepare for high temperatures, because hot air gonna get on your nerves. Maybe some magic liquids can help you?

Notes: Jumping and crouching are truly allowed. (You will need one for reach one secret and another for escaping some tight spaces.)

Known Bugs: For the moment, I know 0 of it. I hope, that several tests for myself was useful.

ScreenShots:

Hide contents

106141092_GZDoom2022-03-0718-44-45.jpg.edeeb71a5f50db375b8f381d9a2ebd08.jpg1261901704_GZDoom2022-03-0718-45-47.jpg.97a7975ad86c8743d3d624400f7828c3.jpg1895596526_GZDoom2022-03-0718-45-57.jpg.acdf7ce92f851cd1de904274d3519a1c.jpg1115870134_GZDoom2022-03-0718-46-20.jpg.8d63154a9ec20190d53530c80be601f8.jpg1238189261_GZDoom2022-03-0718-46-33.jpg.3cde0c6b3c39651d2fe5bb1319878965.jpg492481649_GZDoom2022-03-0718-46-58.jpg.1a995c933a3d70836a845ca4d1a825cc.jpg

Download: LiquidRMG_V1.zip

Will do a full review later but, for now - I'm impressed. Very, very good use of the whole range of UDMF tricks. And the MIDI is bitchin'.

On 3/7/2022 at 5:49 AM, RastaManGames said:

Download: LiquidRMG_V1.zip

I sent you a PM with some feedback on your map. Its a pretty good start. But gameplay needs some tweaking :)

Just checking in with some progress pics. Mapping has been inconsistent for me lately but I should have this done before the due date.

Spoiler

fluid_01.png.2f83d74369f406d5927d08ec75df159c.pngfluid_02.png.b94d1aec467ea33c296617dca82f6a52.png

*checks submission deadline*

Eek, I'd better start whipping something up.

Updated the OP to reflect the current mapping roster. Will be reaching out to anyone who hasn't posted a WIP or finished map yet. :)

Oh... I am really sorry for forgetting upgrading my entry!
There is so many things are happening in my life right now (and unannounced "Delta Force" themed mod pack is one of them) , so I just get lost in time...
I am still have some time before 1st of April?

39 minutes ago, RastaManGames said:

Oh... I am really sorry for forgetting upgrading my entry!
There is so many things are happening in my life right now (and unannounced "Delta Force" themed mod pack is one of them) , so I just get lost in time...
I am still have some time before 1st of April?

Yes. You have until April 1st to submit a final draft. After that. No new areas can be added to any maps, but balancing and bugfixxing will be allowed as needed.

I'm sadly gonna have to drop out of this one. Got some urgent stuff that needs to be done within the week and it's very unlikely that I'll have the time to make a map for this.

Unfortunately I'm also going to have to drop out. IRL stuff got overwhelming and will likely continue to be overwhelming for a little while.

PlasmaFactory_v4

No real gameplay changes, but considerable visual sprucing up. Also added coop starts, dm starts, and implemented difficulties.

Unless something went terribly wrong, I'd say this can be considered the final final version of my exam. It was lots of fun, so I wouldn't be against remedial courses, but I also have other class to attend!

Oh... Damned "Danganronpa" & "Genshin Impact" just took all of my free time on these days...
I am really sorry for not finding time for applying some changes on my entry...

Hope that this is not too critical...

2 minutes ago, RastaManGames said:

Oh... Damned "Danganronpa" & "Genshin Impact" just took all of my free time on these days...
I am really sorry for not finding time for applying some changes on my entry...

Hope that this is not too critical...

On 12/14/2021 at 4:24 AM, Alfredo said:

I will still playtest and allow you to make edits until you are satisfied with your entry once we are past the deadline

Should be fine ;)

I will have a post up after work today. Ive been pretty busy trying to organize a house purchase and mapping has fallen to the wayside.

Hey @Alfredo, since I assume that pesky thing called real life has gotten in the way of this project's completion, may I propose all interested parties (yourself if and when you can, @Womp the Cat and @RastaManGamespost here a final version of their maps so that I might compile them for release? Not trying to backseat direct, but it's very good stuff overall, kind of a shame to see it languish. It's four maps at most so won't be a huge commitment for me. 

Edited by Thelokk

@Thelokk @Womp the Cat @RastaManGames

Good morning everyone. 

I believe i owe an explanation for why things have not progressed. Lately, real life has gotten in the way of me getting around to performing my duties as project lead. In addition to this, midway through the project's development. My mapping spark just kinda fizzled out. I have not touched an editor in weeks. Things are just not good for me to continue with this project. 

The three of you may compile and release your maps as a finished project. I simply have lost all of my drive to map or touch Doom as of late. Hopefully this won't be permanent.

Regardless. I am deeply sorry for having kept you in the dark for so long, and I am very grateful that you took the time to make maps for my project. I have not fulfilled my role as a project lead and for that I am sorry. Perhaps we can try again when circumstances are better.

Thank you.

-Alfredo

8 hours ago, Alfredo said:

@Thelokk @Womp the Cat @RastaManGames

Good morning everyone. 

I believe i owe an explanation for why things have not progressed. Lately, real life has gotten in the way of me getting around to performing my duties as project lead. In addition to this, midway through the project's development. My mapping spark just kinda fizzled out. I have not touched an editor in weeks. Things are just not good for me to continue with this project. 

The three of you may compile and release your maps as a finished project. I simply have lost all of my drive to map or touch Doom as of late. Hopefully this won't be permanent.

Regardless. I am deeply sorry for having kept you in the dark for so long, and I am very grateful that you took the time to make maps for my project. I have not fulfilled my role as a project lead and for that I am sorry. Perhaps we can try again when circumstances are better.

Thank you.

-Alfredo

Hey there, not problem at all, s**t happens and we all know it. Count me in if you ever decide to give the project a new lease on life. 

For now, the map that was intended for the project can be played here.

Edited by Thelokk