Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lutz

ZDoom: Using WinDEU & WA...

So, given my ZETH issues, I'm trying to use WadAuthor to add ZDoom effects (once again, in case you missed it, I do all of my editing with WinDEU 5.2, and then add port-specific effects with another program). Unfortunately, I can't get WA to work with my simple test level, and I want to know how to get it to function. Here's what I have done, and also what I think I should do; I would appreciate any help I can get:

1) Build my level using WinDEU -- construct geometry, assign textures/flats/sector heights etc., and save it as LEVEL.WAD.
2) Open (the latest version of) WadAuthor.
3) Select the "zdoom.cfg" configuration file, making sure that the IWAD (in this case, Doom2.wad) has been run through zwadconv.exe.
4) Open up LEVEL.WAD.
5) Add ZDoom tags/scripts/features.
6) Save and compile.

The problem I am running into is that WA gives me an error when I try to open LEVEL.WAD -- it says something like "This .WAD was created with a different config file," or something. Should I run LEVEL.WAD through zwadconv.exe? I usually get an error if it's not an IWAD, so I'm leary...

If anyone out there has actually read all this an can provide some (ON TOPIC!) help, I would appreciate it -- the future of an absolutely kick-ass Doom mod depends on it...

Yup, you have to run the level through ZWADCONV. WA will not read a DOOM format level into a HEXEN wcf (which is what zdoom.wcf is all about). It's a hell of a time burner, but some people actually do this. Of course they only do it AFTER the level is completed, since you can't go backwards.

Btw, WA does not support ZDOOM sector flags, just so you know. The same way it really doesn't support BOOM sector flags (the ones in the DETH sector menu).

So the only options for ZDoom editing are native WA and DeepSea...? Super. Maybe I'll stick with MBF.

Uh, didn't you catch that part about ZWADCONV?
It'll just be a bit more work, see. Convert a COPY of your vanilla Doom wad to ZDoom format, add the ZDoom features to that.

Ultraviolet said:

It'll just be a bit more work, see. Convert a COPY of your vanilla Doom wad to ZDoom format, add the ZDoom features to that.

Well, zwadconv doesn't want to work; it crashes but doesn't give me an error message. It worked fine for DOOM.WAD and DOOM2.WAD -- I assume that it should work for PWADs...? (FYI, the PWAD in question is a 5 sector level to test out slopes.)

Zwadconv should work just fine on your pwad, I have never seen it fail. I wonder what the problem is....if you want, email me your test wad and I'll try to see what's preventing zwadconv from working on it. mjblakely@earthlink.net

Just FYI, there's plenty of ZDoom features you can use in Doom format levels. For example, slopes are available (although they use different linedef type numbers than they do in ZDoom/Hexen mode).

Just open your level in WA with doom2.wcf, make everything and copy it. Then load zdoom.wcf, create a new level and paste everything on the empty space.

All Specials will be lost. If one didn't have any specials, not a big deal, otherwise better to use ZWADCONV.

Since he can't get Zeth 4.16 to work either, could just be something wrong on his system or maybe some MBF only special. Well see what Biff finds out and then we'll know.

Although he can use quite a few cool ZDOOM features, the most important one of all is not available - scripting. This opens up a whole new world for levels. In fact, if he gets into scripting, he'll kick himself for not realizing this a lot sooner:))

Another question: is there a zwadUNconv utility, i.e. any way to remove the ZDoom specific stuff without damaging architecture or textures (or even triggers, for that matter, even if they aren't understood by another program)? Or, will any program break a .WAD in a normal version and a "ZDoom stuff version" that can later be recombined?

I'm guessing the answer is probably no, but I thought I would ask...

Loading a ZDoom/Hexen format level in regular Doom 2 mode will convert everything that can be converted, except the linedef/sector types and tags. I suspect this is also the case with a few other editors as well.

Lutz said:

Another question: is there a zwadUNconv utility, i.e. any way to remove the ZDoom specific stuff without damaging architecture or textures (or even triggers, for that matter, even if they aren't understood by another program)?

You can't "UNconv" because the format is different. HEXEN format is a superset of stock DOOM. IOW, you'd loose all the extra arguments, so literally impossible to do without loosing the arguments.

If the only argument is the tag, then it can be done. Not that it helps you, but DeePsea optionally preserves specials and tags when switching formats. It can be useful for going from DOOM->HEXEN format, but not visa-versa. I think ZETH now converts on the fly DOOM specials to HEXEN specials.

P.S.: so did you get ZWADCONV to work and what was wrong?