Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Azuris

New Duke Nukem Game possible

19 minutes ago, GratefulDeadInside said:

Alot of gamers just aren't into the whole "macho womanizer badass" character-type.

Sure, but we still get protagonists like Nathan Drake, Frank West and Left 4 Dead's Francis.

It should be a reboot if anything, like Shadow Warrior, and a young duke instead of an Old one, battles again aliens, cyborgs and many other non-human like enemies as one man action army. Should have an interest in a certain type of babe instead of anyone on Hollywood for pacing reasons and need to be smart, don't care what EGO and dumb trinking of Duke Forever, but it seems Duke from 1 to 3D was a really smart soldier. Able to go through portals, space, motherships and even time travel without problem.

He got ego because he is smart and cocky.

37 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Forget a brand new Duke game. They need to do one of the following:

• Resurrect Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded. The modern remake of Duke 3D. It actually looked great but got nuked (pun intended) by Gearbox.
  • Polish up and release the 1998 or 2001 build (either one or both) of DNF. Assuming it's still out there.

Agreed

I think it’s more likely they rerelease DNF with updates to fix the harsh criticism before they ever consider making a new Duke game, but even that is ultimately unlikely as well. I think they know that if a new game fails it’ll only make matters worse for the fate of the series. 

I doubt they’ll come back and do anything with DNF ever again. The name is a meme, a byword for development hell and catastrophic disappointment, and necessarily has been for decades; so much so that it’s legacy continues to poison even the name of Duke as a franchise. That’s not to say a new Duke game could ever happen, but it’ll take a hell of a concept and a hell of a teaser to even begin washing the bad taste out of everyone’s mouths, and given DNF’s own experience with promising concepts and teasers even that won’t be nearly enough.

I’m just as happy to stick with the Duke we have. He stands as having some of the best and most influential games of both the FPS and DOS platformer eras and no amount of corporate arrogance and ineptitude will ever change that.

I think if a new Duke game were to be successful it will have to be fairly unique and innovative. Can't just try recapture nostalgia but with modern graphics and mechanics.

Would be hard though, as Duke's humour and gameplay is very particular and dated.

Screw it, I much prefer a new Hexen or Blood.

Duke waking up from dead and then saying, "Why did I get resurrected for such stupid things?". And then tries to end himself because he had enough.

29 minutes ago, Chezza said:

Screw it, I much prefer a new Hexen or Blood. 

And I'm here waiting for a new Unreal/Unreal Tournament... :(

7 hours ago, Burgish_Nilwert said:

I have been disappointed N times.  I'll be damned if I'm let down by a beloved IP's latter day remake N+1 times!

On the real tho, it won't be great.  Doom 2016 was great cause everyone thought the IP was dead and no one cared, so the dev team got to do pretty much what they wanted.  Publishers will for the millionth time take the wrong lesson and instead of saying "Do what you want" they'll point at D2016/D:E and say "Make me a Duke Nukem version of that."  And we'll wind up with a crummy version of Duke and a crummy version of D2016 rolled into one.  It will simply be too valuable not to have the publishers tamper with it.

I would 100% rather a new IP than an old one driven by nostalgia.

Fuck it, I'ma go play Daikatana.

Boys, boys... I was wrong.

Don't play Daikatana.

1 hour ago, Burgish_Nilwert said:

The first level sure is.

I think according to Civvie 11 or some other Youtuber's review apparently the later levels were more better? Enemy types, weapons and map layout overall better than the first few levels. Odd design choices.

I would absoluitely be up for another Duke game, there is always a chance it could be good. If not, well, after DNF you can't really do any worse by Duke, but if it's good, good. I don't believe in just giving up on a franchise, but then again I can sometimes enjoy reboots, while most people hate them. For me, almost no franchise is ever too dead for a reboot attempt, of course it could be shit like the Turok one, but it could also be nice. And I'm always open to giving any franchise another chance - I would give a proper chance to yet another Turok reboot and see if it's good this time, for example.

Also, Serious Sam is nothing like Duke character-wise. However, the serious sam games are great shooters, and I will fight anyone on this. I actually like them more than dooms, on average.

If a new Duke Nukem game (one that can succeed today) is possible, it sure isn't gonna be from Gearbox. The best chance of Duke succeeding would be if someone like Voidpoint (those guys who love and understand what can work for Duke) got hold of the IP.

4 hours ago, Rudolph said:

@Burgish_Nilwert It is really this bad?

Tried it even with the Fan Patch, it IS, compared to that even Duke Nukem Forever seems polished.

But i haven't got over the first Part.

Weapons are bad and the Boss is buggy.

Changing with that to the Topic.

The Main Company bought them and at some Point they want some Money back for the Invest.

I also can't imagine a whole new AAA Game, at least not without a smaller Game to test the Audience.

But a Game in the Style of Ion Fury, a new Expansion to Duke 3D or if they're brave to Forever?

Pretty possible.

They released a new Addon for Titans Quest this Months.

It even has my old old GPU as Minimum Requirement haha (Ati X800).

A Reboot isn't necesarry, Duke has a Mario Style Story.

Enemy comes, steals Babes, Duke saves.

But who nows, at the End we will get Balls of Steel 2.

Duke is also a brutally excessive overwriten Caricacture, as every Satire is.

He is a living Joke about every Action Hero that takes it serious.

If some People don't understand that, they have nothing to searh in western Culture, as they have the same Thinking as Extremists had with Charlie Hebdo.

5 hours ago, Rudolph said:

@Burgish_Nilwert It is really this bad?

Its not THAT bad as some people here are making it out to be. I would play Daikatana over DNF any day. Daikatana may feel less polished, but is overall more interesting than the generic-ness that is DNF. The 1.3 fan patch, apart from fixing many of the bugs, allows to play the game without babysitting companions, which in my opinion makes the game magnitudes more enjoyable.

The first episode is definitely the worst part of Daikatana, though. The game is much better after that. The 2nd and 3rd episodes are the high point of the game. The 4th episode is not as great as the 2nd/3rd episodes, but still much better than the 1st episode.

1 hour ago, Azuris said:

Weapons are bad and the Boss is buggy.

E1's weapons are kind of weird/janky, but the other episodes had "mostly" decent weapons. Also, the last time I played the game (around 2-ish years ago), all the bosses worked fine. Again, it might be due to using a more update version of the 1.3 patch perhaps.

11 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Sure, but we still get protagonists like Nathan Drake, Frank West and Left 4 Dead's Francis.

I can't comment on Drake as I haven't played Uncharted, but Frank and Francis are almost nothing like Duke.

Crazy thing is that THQ Nordic (subsidiary of Embracer Group) has been on an acquisition spree for at least 3 years now.

In 2019 they said they had 80 games in development: THQ Nordic Now Has 80 Games in Development, 48 of Which are Unannounced (2019)

Even more surprising, they do not plan to stop anytime soon: The group to which THQ Nordic belongs plans to buy more than 35 studios (17 Nov 2021) 

To be honest duke 3d wasn't that amazing.  It's not awful but the damage scaling is all off imo, hitscanners have too much health, you can't dodge their attack, can't really kill or stun them until they stop in enough time to save enough health, the weapon sounds feel as weak as the weapons are, I never feel like I have enough ammo for anything and duke doesn't feel fun to control for me.  So if a new duke game fixes these issues I would actually like the game, but that may kill what others like about Duke, I find the balance off but others probably don't notice it.  

2 hours ago, GratefulDeadInside said:

I can't comment on Drake as I haven't played Uncharted, but Frank and Francis are almost nothing like Duke.

I never said they were, but they are still your average "macho womanizer badass" characters who act in very "traditionally" masculine manners.

44 minutes ago, Astronomical said:

To be honest duke 3d wasn't that amazing.

Well to be fair, while it might not be very impressive today, back in the day the game was ahead of its time in some areas. Talking protagonist, semi realistic level design, great interactivity etc.

46 minutes ago, Astronomical said:

I never feel like I have enough ammo for anything

Really? Unless I am pistol starting the maps, I tend to be swimming in ammo after around 3 maps within the episode (even on Come Get Some). Only episode 4 has tighter ammo. One thing to note is that there are many ways to save ammo. For example:

• Octabrains are best dealt with the devastator. A single devastator rocket kills them because rockets hits are hardcoded to 1-shot them.
  • Battlelord sentries and Assault Commanders (the fat rocket firing guys) can be 1-shotted with the shrinker. For the battleload sentries, you need to make sure to shoot them on the foot to shrink them.
  • Mechanical enemies like turrets, kamikaze drones, pig cop cars etc. are immune to shrinker, but are not immune to expander.
  • Always use hitscan weapon against kamikaze drones and pig cop cars.
  • If you have open space (to run away from the damage), try to press the button behind the pig cop tank to make it explode instead of spending ammo.

55 minutes ago, Astronomical said:

the damage scaling is all off imo, hitscanners have too much health, you can't dodge their attack, can't really kill or stun them until they stop in enough time to save enough health

I agree that the hitscanners in Duke3D are annoying. But this isn't a huge issue as the game is not so hard and is very forgiving when it comes to providing health. Also while it is hard to dodge their attacks, it isn't impossible. In case of pig cops, they have slow turning, so you can circle strafe around them and they would barely be able to hit a pellet on you.

48 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Really? Unless I am pistol starting the maps, I tend to be swimming in ammo after around 3 maps within the episode

I've played the shareware episode and quit every time, sometimes upset, sometimes annoyed, sometimes lost, but I never have come back to the game wanting to pick up where I left off, thinking that I just didn't enjoy the first maps, start over and throw myself at it again.  The design feels like it switches from abstract pieces that resemble nothing to an attempt at realistic locations with no rhyme or reason.  It doesn't feel right, duke feels slow and imprecise.  Most importantly enemies feel like bullet sponges so none of the weapons feel right.  All of this contributes to the problem of no ammo.  

12 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Its not THAT bad as some people here are making it out to be. I would play Daikatana over DNF any day. Daikatana may feel less polished, but is overall more interesting than the generic-ness that is DNF. The 1.3 fan patch, apart from fixing many of the bugs, allows to play the game without babysitting companions, which in my opinion makes the game magnitudes more enjoyable.

The first episode is definitely the worst part of Daikatana, though. The game is much better after that. The 2nd and 3rd episodes are the high point of the game. The 4th episode is not as great as the 2nd/3rd episodes, but still much better than the 1st episode.

E1's weapons are kind of weird/janky, but the other episodes had "mostly" decent weapons. Also, the last time I played the game (around 2-ish years ago), all the bosses worked fine. Again, it might be due to using a more update version of the 1.3 patch perhaps.

I 100% agree with all of this. I thought Daikatana's 3rd episode was easily its strongest, and probably the single best thing about the game overall. I don't think I'd play through the game a second time, but I'd do so in a heartbeat if it meant not having to play DNF again. 

Daikatana was a lackluster mish-mash of overlapping ideas, with grandiose designs, that couldn't be accomplished with the engine available, or the complete lack of focus and direction. I agree that some of it wasn't quite so bad, the third episode wasn't particularly terrible. But that was going based on the first and second episodes, so of course a pile of dog feces will look better when you put it on some bread with a piece of cheese.

The game is terrible, and I've completed it with the 1.3 patch, which made it completable, but I kept the companions and gave them infinite health. The game is meant to be played with the companions, and going it alone through that miserable pile of shlock would be even worse. But even when invincible, you can still fuck up, by leaving an area before your companions have caught up with you for example. So they end up stuck in water, and they can still drown; or they can't open a door from the other side, even though you've opened it before. So you have to go back an hour to start an area over, and an hour in Daikatana feels like two.

I really think Daikatana was a terrible game. I've tried playing through it multiple times, and finally finished it last year. And it was terrible, even with the fan patch. There is just nothing about it that feels finished. Level design is irritating, if not downright obtuse, the enemies aren't really enjoyable to fight, with the exception of the Werewolves in Episode 3. Even though it does get "better" in the later episodes, being better than the atrocious first episode shouldn't be hard to do.

And DNF, I did enjoy it more than Daikatana. Because it felt like a complete, if not very lackluster game. The quips didn't grab my attention, the hive level with the tortured women and the titty walls was completely off-putting, and it felt like a mish-mash of ideas that never panned out. Much like Daikatana. But I could see an actual game in it, one that could've been decent if it wouldn't have had the ridiculous feature creep and dev cycle it did. I think it could've worked with a bit more effort. Unlike Daikatana, which was just broken from the start.

I mean, Superfly Johnson for the black character? Really?

Hearing Hiro Miyamoto saying: "I can't leave without my buddy Superfly!" would've really ruined the atmosphere, if there was an atmosphere to ruin in the first place. 

Edited by Jello

I think the easiest way to reinvent Duke's personality for a new game while avoiding the potential social issues associated with his personality is to include Shelly from Ion Fury. I think she would serve as a great foil against Duke, and if written properly she would be able to balance out Duke's more egregious personality traits but also without overtaking and minimizing him.

On 12/17/2021 at 8:10 AM, D4NUK1 said:

It should be a reboot if anything, like Shadow Warrior, and a young duke instead of an Old one

This could also work, but a writing for a younger Duke sounds like it could go bad very easily if not treated properly.