Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Slipgate Tourist

TIE Fighter: Total Conversion v1.2 Released

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/ri1ohp/tie_fighter_total_conversion_v12_released/

The TIE Fighter Total Conversion (TFTC) project is aimed at porting the original classic 1994 LucasArts game TIE Fighter, into the 1999 X-Wing Alliance (XWA) engine. Based on the original TFTC from 2005 and built upon the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade project, this is a complete overhaul of the game from graphics to gameplay. All 13 battle campaigns and their training missions have been ported over along with 8 Reimagined battle campaigns, taking advantage of the much better XWA engine and imagining how TIE Fighter could've been had the technology of the time not limited it. But here's a general breakdown of what you can expect from this mod!

A full port of all the Classic TIE Fighter missions, including the expansions Defender of the Empire and Enemies of the Empire - a total of 76 campaign missions + the 28 original Training missions. This includes all the original voiceovers and cutscenes.

A Reimagined campaign of the first 8 Battles of TIE Fighter. These take the original missions, expand upon them for more ships, bigger battles or in some cases completely build new missions out of them but retaining the same overall narrative and story points of the original Classic. This campaign includes 37 fully playable campaign missions + 4 updated training scenarios.

That's a total of 145 unique missions between both the Classic and Reimagined versions!

Enjoy the amazing updated visuals for the X-Wing Alliance engine made possible by the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade project (XWAU), bringing this 22 year old game into the modern era of graphics.

VR Support, again thanks to the XWAU project.

Enjoy a fully remastered TIE Fighter soundtrack or even load up the old original MIDI soundtrack if you're feeling more nostalgic!

Rank up, collect memorabilia and earn medals in your pilot room as you progress!

Join the Secret Order of the Emperor as you play through and rank up those tattoos just like the original.

I've always kind of wanted to play these games, but I've never gotten around to it. They look like fun, even though I'm not a huge fan of flight games, but I've heard plenty of good things. I'll try to get X-Wing Alliance at some point and give this a whirl.

I'm downloading it now though, just in case Mickey gets dickey and it gets pulled down before I get around to buying the games.

A star wars fan project that didn't get a legal spanking? Quick, everyone who cares, download it now!!!!

10 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

A star wars fan project that didn't get a legal spanking? Quick, everyone who cares, download it now!!!!

Quite frankly I'm amazed the downloads are still up after 6 months from the original release on ModDB. They must be getting lax on IP protection.

Hence why I downloaded the mod, despite not actually owning the games. I do plan on playing them, and this looks like fun. But recreating an entire game as a mod, it seems like Disney would have an issue.

Is it really just Disney saying "Any joy you have, must be paid for. And paid to us. You will get joy from no one else."?

I am 100% positive about any of the changes that ease installing and playing this wonderful game. However I am very much torn on the hi-res special effects. Especially when combined, the hi-res nebula skyboxes and busy explosive action makes the action rather hard to read. The vividly colourful nebulas are simply too much as a dogfight backgroud, imo. And as for the explosions... I'd get if the killshot gets a fancy animation, but it seems like every hit gets a VERY prominent blast puff? I dunno about that. But I may be just a grognard.