Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiGHTMARE

Doom 2 in PC Zone Feb 2003!

There's a one page article in the 'Extended Play' section of latest issue of PC Zone (p110) about various add-ons for Doom 2. They talk a lot about JDoom, and mention The Underworld in a screenshot caption ("Superb megawad The Underworld, available from the.underworld.web1000.com").

However, the bit that made me happy was "Our favourite PWADs include The Darkening, available from the megawads folder, and Surge DM, available in deathmatch megawads."

I had a look around their web site, but this article doesn't seem to be there, so you're going to have to actually buy the mag to read it :)

EDIT: or you could of course just read at in the newsagents, pissing the staff off in the process ;)

or you could of course just read at in the newsagents, pissing the staff off in the process ;)

Or you could just scan the page and post a link. I think noone will cry about infrigment for 1 or 2 pages for a day or 2 will they?! will they...? oh whiners, just do it :P

Urg! PC Zone :(

I have a general dislike for these people since they asked me if they could include my Incubation levels on their cover CD and in their 'Extened Play' section a couple of years ago. They sent me an email asking me to check that my email and website details were correct. I confirmed the details and gave them permission to use my levels on the condition that they informed me when the magazine with my levels in was published.

I never heard from them again, but chanced upon a copy of the mag in a newsagents. It had my stuff in it. Not only had they failed to notify me of publication, but they printed a completely wrong URL for my site. On top of that, they plaigiarised my text files for use as their descriptions in the mag.

I wrote to them pointing out their failed end of the deal and simply asked them to print the corrected URL in their mag. Of course, they completely ignored my letter and I never heard from them again. Lazy bastards!

Gherkin said:

Or you could just scan the page and post a link. I think noone will cry about infrigment for 1 or 2 pages for a day or 2 will they?! will they...? oh whiners, just do it :P

It would be cool. But the only problem is that it's illegal to post scans of mags.

well, the doom3 alpha is illegal too, but people still play it... :P

maybe I should search the website... heh

Heh, I think it's quite cool that Doom2 is being talked about still, a good 9 years after its release, just as though it was a newer game. That makes me very happy :)

DooMBoy said:

Heh, I think it's quite cool that Doom2 is being talked about still, a good 8 years after its release, just as though it was a newer game. That makes me very happy :)

9 years

NiGHTMARE said:

and mention The Underworld in a screenshot caption ("Superb megawad The Underworld, available from the.underworld.web1000.com").

You've. Got. To. Be. Kidding.

Our megawad?? OUR MEGAWAD WAS IN THE MAGAZINE WITHIN WHICH I FIRST SAW DOOM???? YOU'VE GOTTA BE FUCKING KIDDING!!!!!

/me collapses in a smiling heap.

Well, the underworld kicks ass dude....you want a glass of water or something?

Spike said:

You've. Got. To. Be. Kidding.

Our megawad?? OUR MEGAWAD WAS IN THE MAGAZINE WITHIN WHICH I FIRST SAW DOOM???? YOU'VE GOTTA BE FUCKING KIDDING!!!!!

/me collapses in a smiling heap.

Heh, congrats spike. Go get the mag, put that page in a frame, and hang it on the wall next to the doom pc. =]

Quast said:

Well, the underworld kicks ass dude....you want a glass of water or something?

Something like that. Sorry it's just... argh! Every time i feel like the work is gonna be too much, something like this happens and keeps me going :)

Thanks to everyone who's supported us this far. I'll fling myself headfirst into mapping tomorrow.

Spike, did you get the mag yet? If you can't get hold of one I'm pretty sure my local co-op stocks it so just raise your hand...

Not yet; i only just found out, and we've got little money to do us for lots of days (plus i gotta buy parts for the bastard washing machine. Long story).

PS - i just finished the latest part of The Underworld story. It's on FanFic if you fancy a mosey (it's called 'Becoming')...

Shameless promotion ends : Here :-)

I didn't buy the mag, but i had a good flick through it while in WH Smiths. Still hard to believe, even seeing the screenshot from Map01 (Portal of Hades).

I wonder if Jaakko knows yet...

If I can find a damn place that still stocks PC Zone I'll buy 2 copies. I tried both the co-op and the Kiosk today and nothing. I'll just have to look further afield :\

My local newsagent reckoned that they had just gone back to the distributor (yes, the "February" issue). I'll try WH Smith in Kingswood tomorrow (heh, maybe I'll have to fight pritch to get their last copy).

I just realized I'm a deadbeat. I still owe Jaako 20 bucks for several effects and features I had him add in to Jdoom. When I'm not starving, I'll eventually get a chance to send him some cash.

I bought a couple of copies today (Smiths actually had quite a few left). The piece seems to be written by someone who is rather out of touch with the Doom community, but it's nice exposure anyway. Some people will doubtless be a bit upset by the way it credits jDoom with pretty much every source-port enhancement though. Unfortunately, it gives the wrong link for the Doomsday homepage - it gives http://www.doomsday.com (do NOT visit that site!! - it will take a dump on your computer) instead of the correct http://www.doomsdayhq.com. It also gives ftp://archives.3dgamers.com/pub/idgames/ (the low-capacity master archive) as the place to download wads from, rather than the primary download mirror (ftp://3darchives.in-span.net/pub/idgames/).

Anyway, if anyone (pritch?) has had no luck finding a copy and desperately wants one, let me know.

A big congrats Spike and Jay, your work has not been in vain.

I'll check your stories tomorrow Spikey - just so you know.