Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfwin

Factory Town: a vanilla map for people who like punching stuff

Fun(-ish) map. Bit more varied than I expected, which was good. There was an odd invisible bumpy floor in one of the house rooms (you can see in the demo), possibly nodebuilder related. I don't know what to think of that ending, how it came out of nowhere (and how easily exploitable it was afterwards, makes it seem tacked on), but I liked the rest.

FDA: fctrytwn_FDAbygal.zip

Nice to see you back @Orcsbreath - when I seen you post a map I had to use my short window of time to squeeze a gameplay in - I absolutely love berserk maps and this was well thought out - sorry I gotta go and vid still needs 30 min to process

1 hour ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Fun(-ish) map. Bit more varied than I expected, which was good. There was an odd invisible bumpy floor in one of the house rooms (you can see in the demo), possibly nodebuilder related. I don't know what to think of that ending, how it came out of nowhere (and how easily exploitable it was afterwards, makes it seem tacked on), but I liked the rest.

Yeah, I'm aware of the bumpy floor issue.  I have no idea how to fix it - I know basically nothing about nodebuilder - but it's something I'm looking into.  And I agree, the ending isn't the map's strongest point; I just wasn't sure what else to do there, however.

1 hour ago, Clippy said:

Nice to see you back @Orcsbreath - when I seen you post a map I had to use my short window of time to squeeze a gameplay in - I absolutely love berserk maps and this was well thought out

Always glad to see your videos, dude!  Nice work beating the map with only the Berserk - obviously I meant that to be the main weapon here but in all my playtesting I still used the pistol and shotgun.  I won't complain about you using mouselook, since you still found that secret the "legit" way.  Oh, and the monsters can open the doors in the "hotel" area - in theory, anyway; they're action 1 linedefs, but I guess the monsters are just dumb sometimes.

44 minutes ago, Orcsbreath said:

I have no idea how to fix it - I know basically nothing about nodebuilder - but it's something I'm looking into.

Try drawing a line that'll split sector 185 into two, that seems to do it for me. 

48 minutes ago, Orcsbreath said:

And I agree, the ending isn't the map's strongest point; I just wasn't sure what else to do there, however.

Just to be clear, I was talking about the cause of my sudden death, but if you mean the exit yard, it could be monsterless, maybe a few pretty decorations if you will...

25 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Try drawing a line that'll split sector 185 into two, that seems to do it for me. 

Just to be clear, I was talking about the cause of my sudden death, but if you mean the exit yard, it could be monsterless, maybe a few pretty decorations if you will...

What about just two Archies. That would be interesting you would have to keep them from coming out the bottleneck while punching and dodging 

Random thought just sharing 😄

36 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

That fixed it, thanks!  (download has been updated with fixed version)

36 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Yeah, I was pretty sure that's the one you meant.  I did intend for the encounter to be "high threat; quickly resolved" rather than a protracted battle, so I think, in that regard at least, I succeeded.  But to make what I'd consider to be an 'ideal' version of that fight would require a complete overhaul of the arena - which really isn't feasible, due to how connected it is to adjacent areas.

18 minutes ago, Clippy said:

What about just two Archies. That would be interesting you would have to keep them from coming out the bottleneck while punching and dodging 

Random thought just sharing 😄

Funny, I'd actually originally meant for the exit room to be a double-Archie fight, but when I actually built the arena, I thought it would be too open for an Archie encounter (and the arena has to be that shape, because I really wanted the exit sign to be visible from the starting area, as well as the gate leading to the Dumping Grounds).  Maybe I'll try it with the two Archies; see how it feels.

Haha just a thought not expecting you to implement it😄

But I am picturing what can happen if you can't keep them in the narrow bottleneck. Dance around cyber platform. Run around etc could be wacky 

3 minutes ago, Orcsbreath said:

I did intend for the encounter to be "high threat; quickly resolved" rather than a protracted battle, so I think, in that regard at least, I succeeded.

The issue imo is in the cyb being dormant up to that specific point, which makes the reveal either a very likely sudden punch in the nuts if it decides to shoot immediately, or an easily exploitable telefrag once you know of the teleport - make a noise a couple units away of the tele so it spawns, then take the tele and it's like he never happened. There's a roughly similar plan in another map of yours, which I liked more as you first saw the cyb and you had to work around him to get the telefrag. Maybe if it were to appear somewhere else before as a tease, and there were gibbed corpses around the armor platform, but these are just random ideas I'd implement on my own, you don't have to change a thing.

Just played it, quite fun! I dig "punchy" maps.

Layout has that old school style and the doomcute details makes everything ever more charming.

Good little map for a quick dose of doom! Still have to check Dumping Ground and Corruption Line.