Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BigMetalhead

Boomer Shooters, Half-Life 1, and Halo: CE

12 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

@whybmonotacrab You are in control of the character during the tram ride: you just cannot leave the tram until you reach its destination.

Yeah I just meant it's the one section where you really can't do much of anything.

8 hours ago, Alfonso said:

Why are you defending this?

Neither open world or linear scripted crap can't compare with old school fps level design.

hdhd.png

I mean, for that picture to be a fair comparison you'd have to also simplify the doom map to it's most basic flow chart or provide an equally detailed map of an actual game that exists on the other side. Even some quite linear games involve some kind of objectives system you must complete, different floors to go through, backtracking etc.

For example, Medal of Honor airborne allows you to drop on a semi open world map with various different objectives that might be done in any order, or have some pre-requisites do continue progression. It uses scripted events in various parts to introduce the player to new enemies, objectives, encounters etc. And is still a very fun and gameplay oriented game with quite a lot of player freedom and fun combat mechanics. Other games with similar approaches to map design have executed those ideas terribly, and that's what it comes down to, execution.

You can prefer whatever map shapes or sizes that tingles your weenie the best, but game design is about compromises and if a game has to give up on complex map design to deliver the intended experience, i don't really care. What matters well the developers can implement stuff to make the game fun to some target audience, and if that's not you, you should not feel pressed to like it.

Far more productive to rate individual games by their positive and negative qualities than to shit on some super vague stuff like how linear the progression is regardless of how that helps or detracts from the overall experience.

18 hours ago, Alfonso said:

hdhd.png

Half-Life and Halo have nothing to do with this map design plus they didn't appeared in 2010. It's more like a comporation of Doom with either Battlefield or CoD rather HL or Halo

Also, the convoluted nature of some Doom maps definitely hurt the pacing. For example, while I do not hate E1M2, I am still puzzled that they made the dark computer maze section completely skippable: sure, there are some supplies and secrets to be found, but its placement goes against the level's flow and I do wish E1M2 had been more linear, e.g. having the dark computer maze be on the way to the exit instead of in the opposite direction and not forcing the player to backtrack through the dark maze after getting the chainsaw secret.

Edited by Rudolph

Half-Life and Halo are more of an in-between between old-school and late-2000's/early 2010's shooters, and people used to hate more the latter because it drove the genere towards consoles instead of PC, making the genere a lot slower as a result, and paving the way for the linear CoD design that would end up dominating the rest of the decade.

Nowadays for younger people, Halo CE comes off as old-school, some even consider it to be a boomer shooter (like in this video).

I'm sorry you can't handle the truth.

But Half Life and Halo will never be as respected and beloved as Duke, Doom, Quake or Blood by the hardcore retro fps community.

Also fuck Counter Strike for killing arena shooters.

20 minutes ago, Alfonso said:

I'm sorry you can't handle the truth.

But Half Life and Halo will never be as respected and beloved as Duke, Doom, Quake or Blood by the hardcore retro fps community.

Also fuck Counter Strike for killing arena shooters.

Low quality bait

cacotroll.png.f78f87e5e4cc928b6b3f0d1d376102b7.png