Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Enoter

How to increase quality in Crispy Doom?

When youtubers use widescreen on crispy doom, it looks good, but when i do it on mine, mine looks very pixel, despite pixel scaling and high resolution rendering being on.

So, how to boost the quality in crispy doom so it doesn't look pixelly like in other youtubers?

The pixel look is indeed intended. It can be mitigated with the "Smooth Pixel Scaling" option, but everything else is blurring introduced by YouTube's video codecs, I am afraid. 

15 hours ago, Senor Cacodemon said:

Turn on high resolution rendering

On 12/21/2021 at 12:45 PM, Enoter said:

high resolution rendering being on

Are you sure that the youtubers are playing in crispy doom instead of dsda-doom or prboom+um?

the 'trick' i have heard is to export the video in some ridiculous resolution like 4k, then there is more bitrate and when youtube has its way with your video it will reduce the bitrate but there'll still be a lot 'left' as it were because your original file is extremely high.

26 minutes ago, rehelekretep said:

the 'trick' i have heard is to export the video in some ridiculous resolution like 4k, then there is more bitrate and when youtube has its way with your video it will reduce the bitrate but there'll still be a lot 'left' as it were because your original file is extremely high.

From my pov he stands correct, a YouTube video uses an encoder of avc1 or vp9 depending on what you exported the video in. (avc1 being lower quality then vp1)

On 12/21/2021 at 10:34 AM, fabian said:

The pixel look is indeed intended. It can be mitigated with the "Smooth Pixel Scaling" option, but everything else is blurring introduced by YouTube's video codecs, I am afraid. 

Hey uh can you dumb down the explanation of the "Smooth Pixel Scaling" option? I'm still pretty clueless about how exactly it's affecting the game's visuals and I keep flip-flopping on having it on or off. So it makes the edges of pixels smoother? Does it make animations smoother?

Smooth pixel scaling means that each frame is first scaled up to an intermediate texture without interpolation and then scaled down to screen with interpolation. This leads to a smother transition between individual pixels. It doesn't have anything to do with how smooth animations go.