Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rudolph

Pain Lord's blood color?

So I have downloaded build 0.12.0-205-g9104a28c and I have noticed that the Pain Lord bleeds green during its dying animation, even though shooting it produces red blood splatters. Since Freedoom aims to be compatible with Doom, should the Pain Lord's dying sprites feature red blood instead of green blood?

I would have edited the sprite sheet myself, but alas, I am no graphic designer. :(

so I looked at it though whackEd4 and it shows blue near the shooter arm green at the other arm at at BOSSM and BOSSO it shows red surrounding it and the previous colo(u)rs where they where at.

Upon closer inspection, you are right.

What an odd choice to make the monster spill three different liquids upon death, considering it only produce red blood splatters when shot!

On 12/21/2021 at 6:48 PM, Rudolph said:

Since Freedoom aims to be compatible with Doom, should the Pain Lord's dying sprites feature red blood instead of green blood?

How is the colour possibly related to PWAD compatibility?

Also IIRC in the original Doom, there's a similar colour mismatch for the Cacodemon.

14 minutes ago, MrFlibble said:

How is the colour possibly related to PWAD compatibility?

Also IIRC in the original Doom, there's a similar colour mismatch for the Cacodemon.

Well, by default, all monsters have red blood, including those who should not, i.e. the Hell Knight/Baron of Hell and the Cacodemon. Freedoom has cleverly avoided this by giving all its monsters red blood instead of throwing in some code that would give specific monsters different blood colors that I assume could have led to some compatibility issues.

19 hours ago, Rudolph said:

all monsters have red blood, including those who should not

I've always thought it was such a minor issue.