Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SugarKane21

Other classic Doom or retro-fps communities?

I'm curious about if there are some other interesting communities about Classic Doom or some other retro-fps (Let's say, everything that happened in the genre before Half-Life), outside Doom World, mostly on popular social media.

I'm mostly looking for some instagram dedicated to this kind of content, with a decent ammount of activity. Also, some subreddit could be pretty interesting too, if they have activity of course. 

I'm already aware of some youtube users that are very popular. Youtube is probably the best media outside Doom World related to this kind of content.

28 minutes ago, iUsuallyDie said:

The Doom subreddit gets some good discussion going, and their Discord server is solid. Just be prepared to see a lot of memes.

Actually i run away from that place since all i've seen has been about memes and people posting, i don't know, their recently bought doomguy helmet or stuff like that. And what really takes me away the most from that is that everything is mostly based on Doom Eternal. I have nothing against it but i'm mostly interested in the classic doom games and other 90's fps aswell. 

4 hours ago, iUsuallyDie said:

The Doom subreddit gets some good discussion going, and their Discord server is solid. Just be prepared to see a lot of memes.

I would not recommend the Doom subreddit for anything other than tired reposts of the same ten Doom Eternal memes and literally nothing else. Sadly, the admin team have very little interest in changing this state of affairs, even after Literally All Their Moderators simultaneously quit. Such as it is.

I think most retro-devilshoot social media stuff is on Twitter and/or Discord nowadays. Haven't really heard of anything on Instagram, but to be fair I haven't really looked.

9 hours ago, SugarKane21 said:

I'm curious about if there are some other interesting communities about Classic Doom or some other retro-fps (Let's say, everything that happened in the genre before Half-Life), outside Doom World, mostly on popular social media.

Besides the aforementioned subreddit you already fled, the other popular social media sites like Instagram don't exactly foster much in the ways of organised community activity beyond individuals accounts, so I'm not sure what you'd hope to find beyond say specific community contributors personal accounts. Most of the communities I'm aware of still use forums or use Discord. For the former, DW and the ZDoom forums where all the modders hang out are the most popular. There's also the threads in /vr/ over on 4chan if that's more your thing. As for the latter; Bridgeburner, Major Arlene, Jimmy and Dragonfly all run separate Doom-orientated servers you could look into.

As for other retro FPS communities, I'm only really aware of Quakeworld and Duke4.net.

• There's, obviously, Quaddicted for Quake mapping. It recently got a small boost with the new remaster.
  • The Unreal Tournament community is very small yet faithful.
  • The Ultima Online and EverQuest communties are some of the oldest if not oldest MMORPG communities in the world still alive and both games are still being patched/updated to this day.
  • Counter-Strike 1.6 is played a fuckton to this day.
  • Starcraft: Brood War, Warcraft 3 and Diablo 2 are still active to this day. Both legacy and remastered (except the W3 one) versions. Not that surprising.
  • Age of Empires II is pretty damn alive, now more than ever with the recent release of AoE IV and the remastered versions.

Those can still be considered quite big. There's some very, very niche games that still deserve a mention:

• Carnivores 2 has a very active modding community.
  • SimCity 4 is also still breathing.
  • The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall, despite being jank incarnated, is quite alive.
  • The Command & Conquer: Generals community has lots of underground tournaments.
  • Left 4 Dead 2: Not that old/retro (and not niche at all) actually, but damn, for a decade old game it still tops the charts on Steam and it has a massive number of mods.

ttlg.com is the main place for Thief FMs, as far as I'm aware.

Other than that, there's a massive community on Twitter of retro FPS devs, I would especially recommend following Dave Oshry and the rest of the New Blood team, they're great. There are quite a few doom modders on twitter too, especially people making their own standalone games in GZDoom.

6 hours ago, Kinsie said:

I would not recommend the Doom subreddit for anything other than tired reposts of the same ten Doom Eternal memes and literally nothing else.

Can confirm, sorting by classic doom flair in that subreddit is depressing as hell, usually just people talking about beating the Icon of Sin, reading way too far into some random manual from 1994, or complaining about how something isn't working with Project Brutality. I still try to help explain things where I can though, and occasionally point people here.

13 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Besides the aforementioned subreddit you already fled, the other popular social media sites like Instagram don't exactly foster much in the ways of organised community activity beyond individuals accounts, so I'm not sure what you'd hope to find beyond say specific community contributors personal accounts. Most of the communities I'm aware of still use forums or use Discord. For the former, DW and the ZDoom forums where all the modders hang out are the most popular. There's also the threads in /vr/ over on 4chan if that's more your thing. As for the latter; Bridgeburner, Major Arlene, Jimmy and Dragonfly all run separate Doom-orientated servers you could look into.

As for other retro FPS communities, I'm only really aware of Quakeworld and Duke4.net.

When i mentioned Instagram i was obviously looking for individual accounts dedicated to classic doom or retro-fps, wether is about posting gameplays, memes, or whatever. You can talk about community on IG in case there are several accounts with similar content supporting each other. Thanks anyway for the other recomendations.

On 12/22/2021 at 6:24 PM, HrnekBezucha said:

@FistMarine there's still a Duke3d community? I should get back to making a build engine map after all those years. Too bad there isn't any modern editor for Blood maps. 

Yes, the Duke3D community is still somewhat alive, although the maps released these days are in low numbers compared to what was a decade ago (before DNF was released that killed the franchise). There's a few high quality maps/mods getting released once in a while but I think on a yearly basis, there are around 10-15 releases overall. There's also episodes/mods/TCs getting released once in a while which makes up for the lack of vanilla (or rather EDuke32) user maps. I highly recommend taking a look at Duke4.net forums, you might find a couple high quality releases that are definitely worth checking out. As I mentioned above, I have been a member on the Duke4 forums since 2014 and have gotten along just fine with most people over there, there's a lot of friendly people overall and as of lately, I even participate in what is basically the "DW megawad club" equivalent for Duke3D maps/mods since back in June 2021 when the event finally began and there is even the possibility that starting with January 2022, I will be the one who hosts the event from then on. I'm hoping the event becomes more known and might attract more people into participating in the map/mod club. At the moment it's only a few people participating.

@FistMarine it's a real shame Duke modding/mapping isn't as popular as Doom. Because mapping cool stuff like ROR illusions and dynamic level elements are much easier to implement. 

But I've heard Mapster32 supports extended modern features from Ion Fury, which sounds super exciting. I'll have to check that out.