Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bigd

RTC-3057 Demo Release

Chances are, you've heard of RTC-3057. I did several features about it during my time at Doomcenter, including a couple of interviews, screenshot galleries, and a hands-on preview. Needless to say, all information and media released by Team Future has been top quality, and this demo release is no different. The demo takes full advantage of ZDoom v2.0 features - it sports ACS scripting, colored lighting, slopes, and probably every other feature the powerful port has to offer (be sure you have the latest beta of ZDoom v2.0 to play the demo). It is very story and goal driven, and the developers did an excellent job of immersing the player to emphasize this. The textures, sounds, music, architecture, puzzles, scripting - hell, everything is pretty amazing. Without further ado, check out screenshots from the demo, then download ZDoom v2.0 B36 and the demo! Also, read on to see comments from several members of Team Future, including team leader Shaviro, NiGHTMARE, Hyena, SoM, and our very own Julian. Congratulations to Team Future for reaching this milestone and good luck with finishing the project!

Demo Screenshots

Demo DownloadsTeam Future CommentaryShaviro:

The project is moving forward faster than ever after dsm, pritch and I finished up the story details. dsm has done a great job on fleshing out the main story points as well as adding several new ones. Even though there are still many levels to complete and much work to do, I'm confident that our team is capable of completing the task. The project is split up into 4 episodes (settings). RTC-3057 is not just a doom mod. It is a story about future problems, ethics and development/evilution of mankind. One of our main priorities of the project is to involve the player in some troubling events, which are not necessarily physical problems. To achieve this we are using some scripted sequences that will shiver down your spine. Another priority is to show other Doomers and gamers how to squeeze the engine's potential and create mindblowing features. All of this is in the demo and I feel we've achieved our goals. The beta testers have been awesome. We have a little channel on IRC where we meet up and discuss the bugs and needs of the demo. All together they have spotted more than a hundred bugs and have had tons of great suggestions which (most of them) have been added. I don't think there is much more to say than thanks to the team, Doomworld and everybody who has been commenting on the various screenshots and whatnot.

nb_nmare:

As well as its (hopefully) great gameplay and genuinely involving storyline, RTC-3057 should serve as an excellent showpiece for the various additions that the ZDoom port makes to the Doom engine. Almost any ZDoom feature you can think of is going to be used at some point, including extensive use of ACS scripting (written by scripting gurus such as Boris). I wasn't able to participate in the testing as much as some of the others, because of an annoying crash that has now (inexplicably) stopped occurring. I did, however, add a few enemies and items to the map, and point out a couple of minor errors.

Julian:

I joined the project quite lately actually. I saw the feature done on Doomcenter and found the screenies quite convincing. Maon... err... Shaviro caught me on IRC once asking if I could make tracks (or did I send him a track and tell him he could use it? I don't remember). I have composed quite a lot of test pieces since then but didn't really know what atmosphere to aim at. When Shav showed us (the team) the demo then my ideas got clearer: I decided to try something more ambient and ended up with a single real musical piece. I'm very happy with the soundtrack so far and I find the design simply stunning. I know more levels are on schedule (if not already finished) and I can't wait to put some soundscape in there.

_Hyena_:

For someone who's been separated from the project for so long, I found that the members of the team have become very clever. They somehow rigged it so that when Zdoom started, the wad itself managed to excrete a powerful adhesive that prevented me from leaving my chair until I completed the demo. I played it again a few times, just in case there was any leftover glue, plus it was pretty fun.

SoM:

RTC-3057 is something pretty rare: A Doom wad with a storyline that advances in the wad. Very few wads have actually managed to pull this off (Nimrod comes to mind) as well as this one. The atmosphere is heavily accented by excellent tracks from Julian, the levels are beautiful and this thing has replay value! What more do you want?

OMG ! It's so good I can't make in work because Zdoom crashes ! Damn...

Edit : I tried using a different folder and everything works fine...weird.
/me goes playing

Wow. Best. Mod. Ever.

Unfortuneately(sp), I'm stuck at 2 doors. (closing the cell doors + powerless door. Now what?

Nevermind, figured it out.

I managed to make it through, but I never did get the chaingun. Oh well... Once I found out that some of those neon symbols on the walls were switches, it was fairly easy.

Pretty cool stuff, looking forward to the full project. Nice secret in the end room btw. :)

When I click the link to the file I get a 404 error. The homepage just comes up blank; I guess it doesn't like Mozilla.

Wildman said:

When I click the link to the file I get a 404 error. The homepage just comes up blank; I guess it doesn't like Mozilla.

Working on it.

EDIT: Ok, fixed. Had some file location problems... it's on Doomcenter atm (that's where the link points too), I love that MGON is so lazy about things, like deleting ex-employee accounts. Anyway, the file will be there and possibly on 3DD momentarily. But the main thing is that it's available :)

Linguica said:

Holy god, a 22-meg WAD for ONE level.

Most of that is the music, but it'll be re-used in other levels in the full project, so the file size vs. number of levels will even out a bit :)

NiGHTMARE said:

Most of that is the music, but it'll be re-used in other levels in the full project, so the file size vs. number of levels will even out a bit :)

Way to accuse me! The tracks take 4.04 megs total. that is 1/5 of the total size. :P

bigd said:

EDIT: Ok, fixed. Had some file location problems...

Thanks Bigd. Got it.

BTW, the Hexen wad is about 19 megs so the file size is probably about right.

Later:

Well, I d/l (twice) but I get an error in WinZip (128 bytes missing; zip file is corrupted). I guess I am just not meant to play it. :)

Sorry, the version I got, then uploaded, was broken. I'll try to find a good working copy and have it on 3ddownloads ASAP.

(yes, project members, whoever you are, gimme)

Ok the zip in the link up there is updated. This one should work.

I want at least a pat on the shoulder for this, seeing as I had to brave the pit of razor-edged tentacles to retrieve the url for a working copy.

Arioch said:

I want at least a pat on the shoulder for this, seeing as I had to brave the pit of razor-edged tentacles to retrieve the url for a working copy.

[21:48] * arioch (arioch@despayre.org) has joined #zdoom
[21:48] <arioch> one of you jerks send me 3057demo.zip

I played a version from about a week ago (and I'm also kinda working on scripts for it - I'm pretty sure I don't have any in the demo). It definately has potential, and when I get home tonight I'll download it and play it and work out ways to make it even better and stuff.

It means you have a crappy computer and really should upgrade ASAP :)

BTW (I point this out due to past experience with such matters) note the smilie before you go getting all offended, kthxbye.

Opulent: Check the consoles in the maintenance pit below the con room. Note that there are four ways to enter that grid, so you may have to try from each entrance. Then, once you think you've laid in the correct pattern, hit the switch on the entrance-side of the room. (Opposite-side switch resets field.)

The fact that I could call those areas "maintenance pit" and "con room" points out that the team really got its point across when trying to represent areas. Good job, people...

What a sweet demo!! I've been waiting since i saw some of the screenshots released this summer. The quality of the wad is remarkable, you should all be proud! the opening scenes were the best, hope to see more of this story developement in the final version!!

really great work guys, I'm gonna play it again.

Damn, I'm stuck at the part where you have to walk on the floor, or whatever.

I found the bannana room. LOL

NiGHTMARE said:

It means you have a crappy computer and really should upgrade ASAP :)

BTW (I point this out due to past experience with such matters) note the smilie before you go getting all offended, kthxbye.

Yeah I realize I indeed do have a crappy machine but didn't realize even Doom requires a powerful computer to run with, was wondering what are the most decent system requirements for this mod...anyways, thx for pointing out ;)

Textures and sounds are great. Too bad textures from rtc 3057 aren't allowed to be reused and where did all those new sounds come from?

Darkstalker said:

OMG ! It's so good I can't make in work because Zdoom crashes ! Damn...

Edit : I tried using a different folder and everything works fine...weird.
/me goes playing

Don't use the nodebuilder! If you generate GL nodes with the internal nodebuilder (gennodes 1 & genglnodes 1) then it falls into an infinite loop and causes a stack overflow.

So, needless to say, it doesn't work in ZDoomGL right now :(

Arioch said:

Ok the zip in the link up there is updated. This one should work.

Here's your pat. :) Worked fine. Thanks!

Wow, that was truly awesome. I seriously cant wait for the full release.
One point of confusion though. When you enter the pipe area, right before the imps appear, the screen goes black except for a green square thing in the center. That green thing then turns red. What was that supposed to mean.
Also, those bananas better be in the final version.

/me goes back to trying to beat cata.wad, then fails miserably.