Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bigd

RTC-3057 Demo Release

If you only release Doom projects because you want massive amount of praise and people to shower you compliments about it or some shit, I have news for you:

1) you're editing the wrong goddamn game. Doom is old and while it still has a strong following, it also has a tiny following. Most people will play your maps once or twice and that'll be the end of it. If you want a bigger audience and more potential to have people love your work, make maps or models or whatever for some more modern game.

2) you're editing for the wrong reasons. personally I don't give a flying fuck if someone hates whatever map(s) I make. I make them because I enjoy doing so, and if someone else happens to like it as well, then that's an excellent added bonus.

Anyway, this thread is really headed to shit, and RTC does not deserve something like that. In all honesty this is probably the best Doom map I've ever played, and I'd hate to have to close this thread because of some people crying about their own maps not getting enough publicity. Please, quickly get the fuck over yourself. Thank you.

boris said:

I wasn't the one who brought the team aspect in. All I'm saying is that RTC-3057 woudln't get all that attention if Shav had only uploaded it to /newstuff without telling anybody about it. Sure, "politics" still plays a pretty big part.

Well not if it had required DESUF! Hahaha!

EDIT: Cyb, I hate all your maps.

EDIT: NO I DON'T!!

EDIT: YES I DO@!!@

EDIT: DAMNIT I DO NOT!#$!@%

EDIT: DAMMIT I DO TOO$^@^$#@%@#$^

EDIT: WE DON'T NEED YOU ANY MORE!! MASTER LOOKS AFTER US!!

<arioch> these tears we cry, are falling rain ... take back the lies, the hurt, the blame

<Cyb> I'll kick you in the nuts!

<arioch> kevlar crotch guard, ha!

<Cyb> kevlar piercing shoes! HA HA!

Arioch and Cyb edited this.

NO THEY DIDN'T HAHAHA

mewse was here.. uhh i mean, no i wasn't.. i mean mewse wasn't.. uhh.. fuck whatever

I spent ages downloading this thing and when I tried to run it in prboom, it crashed! Worst TC ever!

Fredrik said:

This WAD stinks. The people who made it are fucking retards. Go to hell and die.

Says the texture man and beta tester.

fraggle said:

I spent ages downloading this thing and when I tried to run it in prboom, it crashed! Worst TC ever!

It doesn't work with Doom95! 17 5u><x0rz!!111

Cyb hit it right on the head. Large amounts of praise for any one project or map is rare in the Doom community. When it does happen it's usually for a very good reason (as it is in this case). What also usually happens is some sour grapes from a few people who begrudge the praise for whatever reason (usually petty personal reasons).

I think people would still be going nuts over this thing if it had just been quietly uploaded to /newstuff by someone no one had ever heard of before. This is a small community and word of mouth travels very fast.

Nice stuff!! The level feels small but it's great. The use of slopes is amazing... It reminds me of that DooM2000 that I figure won't be out this century. I'm longing for the full thing...

I couldn't figure out what to do at the room with the 'wrong path' switch. :/

pagb said:

I couldn't figure out what to do at the room with the 'wrong path' switch. :/

the solution appears on one of the computer screens/consoles in the room with the red detail.

WOW!
The first thing that amazed me is the fact that this new ZDoom beta actually WORKS on my computer. I have tried several versions in the past and all crashed with an error on launch. Except this one. This ZDoom version works flawlessly. w00t!

Second, the RTC-3057 Demo rocks! Nice mood-setting introduction, good use of flickering lights. I especially like the artwork. It gives the map a very unique feel.

I got one question: at some point I went through a duct and got confronted with a big door which wouldn't open because of a problem with pressure. I was stuck at this point, because I couldn't go back either. The entrance to the duct was too high and the rest of the tunnel was blocked by a brown wall. So I noclipped over the brown wall, pressed two switches and the pressure problem was solved. So my question is: is there any way to get out of that room when you forgot to press the switches first?

Arno said:

WOW!
The first thing that amazed me is the fact that this new ZDoom beta actually WORKS on my computer. I have tried several versions in the past and all crashed with an error on launch. Except this one. This ZDoom version works flawlessly. w00t!

Second, the RTC-3057 Demo rocks! Nice mood-setting introduction, good use of flickering lights. I especially like the artwork. It gives the map a very unique feel.

I got one question: at some point I went through a duct and got confronted with a big door which wouldn't open because of a problem with pressure. I was stuck at this point, because I couldn't go back either. The entrance to the duct was too high and the rest of the tunnel was blocked by a brown wall. So I noclipped over the brown wall, pressed two switches and the pressure problem was solved. So my question is: is there any way to get out of that room when you forgot to press the switches first?

Well, since it's a ZDoom wad, you should enable jumping :)

BTW, great job guys! One of the few maps I've played through to the end (enjoying every second of it) :) Randy also sent me an updated nodebuilder that fixes the problems (stack overflow) with GL nodes and RTC-3057, so hopefully I'll have some ZDoomGL shots later tonight (after my floor hockey game)...

To get this thread back on track a bit:

If you love this one level, then wait until you see the rest of the project...

I don't know about the other team members, but personally I'm going to make sure that if something I make for this project doesn't at least impress (if not amaze) ME, it won't be used :)

Just played it. AWesome job guys!

One little "bug" i noticed though: You can do the tile puzzle "backward". Strange huh?

(Little suggestion: Random path for that puzzle would be nice IMO)

That's not a bug. It's the pattern, not the direction. Why do you think that's a bug? You can do it however you want as long as the the right squares are lit up.

On closer inspection, you have a problem here. In the first area, I can't get into the control area because the cell doors are open. Whatever that means. So I go to close the cell doors but it says the pressure is too high. Whatever that means. I can't move on, nothing else to press... So that is the whole demo? A few hallways?

You guys should rerelease a working version. :[

UAC PR Dept said:

On closer inspection, you have a problem here. In the first area, I can't get into the control area because the cell doors are open. Whatever that means. So I go to close the cell doors but it says the pressure is too high. Whatever that means. I can't move on, nothing else to press... So that is the whole demo? A few hallways?

You guys should rerelease a working version. :[

It is a working version. You just need to spend some time looking for switches to lower the pressure which, I have to admit, could have been a teeny tiny bit more obvious. But hell, I'm just not very good at noticing things.

Szymanski said:

care to release it? :)

0.73 will be released soon. I'm tracking down some texture crashes with Enjay. I rewrote the texture loading so there are still some issues with it...

After those get tracked down, I'll do another release :)