Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RetroAkaMe

The Plutonium Experiment (BETA)

IWAD: Plutonia

Yeah, the name is a pun.

This is my first Plutonia wad, and my first megawad aswell.

I've been pretty inactive and to give something I decided to give the beta of what I'm currently working on.

I've currently only made 12 maps, FYI.

I also used some custom textures and all that stuff thanks to Realm667 and some people in the post your textures topic!

Credit to stewboy for some music.

Format: Boom (complevel 9)

Description:

A simple plutonium infection makes the world go NUTS! Humans become zombiefied and morph into horrible demons wanting to infect each other!

A 33-map megawad!

Screenshots:

doom51.png.d6e0c0c8bb42873bff713530a525fc8b.pngdoom52.png.7bcf1cf03acb7e777d11d5edd056f8b9.pngdoom53.png.e61c4c1072077ece55956380d24dbf5a.pngdoom54.png.896f3649c2b91a8222090a63e03fadc2.pngdoom55.png.578783049374d64090fbfd126dc2ca7f.pngdoom56.png.a4e4a5e1ee222a13327ed74e81b16a59.pngdoom57.png.1d8b978a8b2ca1fac75dc781df7ca71a.pngdoom59.png.b44572f12eadd2c1839f41eec17e931e.pngdoom60.png.ae5cdb0c69623dc6f11cd3d8a4d9208c.pngdoom61.png.7d360eca96f8c11eb7ce17e0d841f2a3.pngdoom62.png.0d0dde16af942cba76957f7d5f5191dd.pngdoom63.png.7e9dab1af719d81b50d9acff725a4bb3.png

doom64.png.2805b7d76ca2f33b28b275034fdafbd2.png

I asked Paf to help me make map33, he said he would but he isn't avaliable much. I'll have to wait a bit for that :).

Anyways, here's the download:

plutonium.wad

Tested with PrBoom-plus, Zandronum and DSDA.

Also, have a great Christmas/Christmas Eve!

Edited by RetroAkaMe

Just a quick sanity check, please don't be offended, but is this supposed to be a joke wad?

Edited by DarkQuill : typo

57 minutes ago, DarkQuill said:

Just a quick sanity check, please don't be offended, but is this supposed to be a joke wad?

Nope. It was just the name the joke.

Exit elevator in map07 has a missing back texture.

The bit in map08 where you drop into the dark brown room can get stuck if playing with unlimited actor height, since enemies will crowd and block you from falling down.

The current last level has a section where some of the enemies are unreachable.

The majority of enemies all wake up on sound instead of a mix of sound and sight, so shooting one zombie through a doorway will wake a pack of Revenants and have them all clump up frequently.

There's very little armor available, I think the only bit was the one Megasphere secret in map02 or 03.

Shell ammo in general is a bit too aplenty.

The maps are a little short, but they fit a lot of the quick and speedy themes of Plutonia, so it's neat.

Once the maps are more fleshed out, I can see this being a neat little Plutonia spinoff.

36 minutes ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

I'm curious as to why MAP08 has no name. No cwilv and no dehacked entry.

Because it's realm.

Oh boy

The Good

The barrels are used in a fun way.

The part with the lost souls and the cacos at the beginning was fun too.

The Bad

Well, it is your first plutonia/mega wad, so it can only go up...

Something important you should implement: Height difference.

the height level doesn't change really often and even then mostly insignificant, and the design is very boxy and simple.

Some stairs here and some walkable walls work wonders. Also it's usually pretty effective to try to use as little box shapes as possible to add complexity (f.ex. a sphere, a hexagon or just general natural forms)

You could place the enemies with a little bit more thought.

I've seen a lot of empty rooms filled with just hitscan and no cover other than the entrance.

I'd recommend preventing huge clusters of hitscanners or single enemy types and think about how some enemies could work together (f.ex. Pinkies, Lost Souls or Pain Elementals make using the Rocket Launcher really hard and thus give other enemies a chance to strike).

In general, give us more than just low level monsters, like imps or zombies in large quantities.

As a rule of thumb:  1. Dodging Projectiles is more fun than hiding from hitscan

2. Hitscan is strong in open areas, Projectiles are strong in tight areas.

3. Don't forget to give the player cover against hitscan

Ammo and Health placement is also very generous, which could be changed by simply using larger packs more sparingly.

In summary:

You should refresh your knowledge on map design, height variation and item/enemy placement.

That isn't ment as an insult, but my honest recommendation; the community is nice and happily helps you to learn the basics. There's no shame if you don't get it on your first try.

But at the end of the day, there's no way sugarcoating it

2/5 zombie cluster

Map06 requires auto-aim, I can't shoot the skull switch next to the door near the area where you get the blue-key.

32 minutes ago, ChestedArmor said:

2/5 zombie cluster

I would give it 3/5, because of it's "aggressive" energy.

Edited by Hitboi

Just now, Hitboi said:

Map06 requires auto-aim, I can't shoot the skull switch next to the door near the area where you get the blue-key.

I managed to do it in PrBoom-plus ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ try getting nearer it

12 minutes ago, RetroAkaMe said:

I managed to do it in PrBoom-plus ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ try getting nearer it

Oh thanks, it worked :)

1 hour ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

I'm curious as to why MAP08 has no name. No cwilv and no dehacked entry.

Because it's a homage to the original Map08 from Plutonia. Although a new name would be better.

Edited by Hitboi

18 minutes ago, Hitboi said:

I would give it 3/5, because of it's "aggressive" energy.

Well, maybe I should explain how I rank:

1/5 literally not playable (you can't progress/exit/do anything)

2/5 Did not enjoy playing, but it's playable

3/5 Average. Not great, but not bad

4/5 Great. Would play again.

5/5  This caliber and not a molecule worse:

Spoiler

Also, what do you mean with ""agressive" engergy"?

7 hours ago, RetroAkaMe said:

Format: Boom (complevel 8)

Boom is typically complevel 9, complevel 8 emulates an older version of it that had a few bugs.

13 hours ago, ChestedArmor said:

Also, what do you mean with ""agressive" engergy"?

It has a weird (and repetitive) monster placement, while forcing the player to kill the monsters with the unneeded amount of ammo that can be found in most sections of the maps.

Okay, after playing 80% of this wad, I'm gonna give it a 2/5 based on your rank system. I'm not very good at criticizing wads.

1 minute ago, Hitboi said:

It has a weird (and repetitive) monster placement, while forcing the player to kill the monsters with the unneeded amount of ammo that can be found in most sections of the maps.

Okay, after playing 80% of this wad, I'm gonna give it a 2/5 based on your rank system. I'm not very good at criticizing wads.

Yeah, I'll have to get some variation happening.

Well, I see some progress in my brain. Firstly, I lost my square-room addiction, and I'm putting ammo variation (and not too much)