Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cammy

Alien Vendetta MIDI Pack - Now on idgames!

13 hours ago, maxmanium said:

What does this mean?

I assume launching the wad with the command line, ie "-file av.wad"

You know what? These tracks are excellent. I just listened to all of them, and I have to start writing midis.

No way am I missing out on a chance to do something like this. Thanks to Cammy and crew, this has been a massive shot of inspiration. I hope I can be good enough to join one of these some day.

1 hour ago, Andy Johnsen said:

I'll leave it with a huge "thank you" to Cammy and everyone who contributed. A full fledged custom soundtrack was sorely missing from the original release. The kind of talent that got together for this is certainly more than we could have hoped for back in the day. Obviously this midi pack will be a great resource for future mappers as well, I'm convinced we'll see several of these tracks turn into classics. 

Alien Vendetta has received a lasting amount of love through the years, and I'm sure the rest of the AV team is with me in being humbled by this, and the fact people still enjoy it enough to put work and care into it. This midi pack was quite the gift.

I can't tell you how grateful I am to have been trusted with the task. Hearing you enjoyed the pack makes it all the more worth it - thank you, Anders, for the opportunity and your words of kindness!

1 hour ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

You know what? These tracks are excellent. I just listened to all of them, and I have to start writing midis.

No way am I missing out on a chance to do something like this. Thanks to Cammy and crew, this has been a massive shot of inspiration. I hope I can be good enough to join one of these some day.

One of the highest compliments that an artist of any vocation can hear is that their work inspired someone else to start projects of their own. I'm so glad you enjoyed the pack - good luck making those MIDIs!

5 hours ago, Andy Johnsen said:

I'll leave it with a huge "thank you" to Cammy and everyone who contributed. A full fledged custom soundtrack was sorely missing from the original release. The kind of talent that got together for this is certainly more than we could have hoped for back in the day. Obviously this midi pack will be a great resource for future mappers as well, I'm convinced we'll see several of these tracks turn into classics.

Thank you for your very kind words on "Whispers of War" and "You Really Suck." It really means a lot to me to see this. Very, very much obliged.

I put a lot of effort into both pieces, even after I made the switch to doing commissions. I realized that this was a very important project which demanded all the attention I could give it. There were revisions going on up until almost the last day, especially on "Whispers of War." That first impression was so important to get right - it took a long time to tweak it into submission. 

BTW, I have to credit @Cammy for his steady hand of guidance and suggestion through both pieces - I couldn't have pulled them off without his help. The name for "Whispers of War" was in fact his idea. I was simply calling it "AVTitleNonLoop" until he stepped in. :)  My thanks also goes to him for inviting me to participate in the project. This was a once-in-a-lifetime event, and I'm glad to have been a part of it. Thank you very much, Cammy.

Edited by leejacksonaudio

3 hours ago, Andy Johnsen said:

Map03 - I was sold on this one long before the train sounds notched it completely. What a loving tribute track. Quite possible one of my favs.

Thanks for the praise!

I've uploaded my and DCG's contribution to OpenGameArt, with an SC-88 recording by DCG Retrowave. He included some really nice sound effects that only work on hardware synths.

https://opengameart.org/content/the-berggren-malde-complex

I should also thank Cammy once again for having me take part. I'm honored to have something as big as this as my first real project and the guidance I was given immensely helped me out. This will be a very special release for me, all thanks to Cammy.

5 hours ago, Andy Johnsen said:

Map04 - The original track is one of the better fits we picked back in the day in my opinion, so I was interested to see if it could be matched. "Shotgun Shawarma" easily does, quite impressive. Another high tempo fav, and it makes me want to replay the map right now.

If the AV project lead himself thinks it's a worthy replacement, then we can absolutely rest easy. Thanks for the kind words.

Since everyone is having so much fun:

The Map20 Remaster, tuned an octave down to represent how it was written originally on guitar, with guitar tab in the video ( something I've seen requested before ). As noted in the description of the video, some of the guitar tab doesn't make sense ( 2nd fret on A string to 9th fret on D string ) when they are very clearly intended to be notes picked out of a chord and left to ring. I would adjust to 7th fret on E string accordingly, but the mistake is encoded in video format, so oh well. Edit: Also, why I left the _chorus_ notes on the 22nd fret in the video is a mystery even to me, now that I'm looking at it. Clearly they should be moved down to the higher note strings. Sigh. Now I want to redo this, lol, but it was a lot of work for a quick video. :(

It'll sound off because it's an octave down, but playing it on guitar an octave higher is highly impractical, although on synth it sounds so much better.

Edited by Chris Laverdure

57 minutes ago, JDoyle said:

Hi Everyone! Congrats on another excellent MIDI pack release, the amount of talent represented in these packs is absolutely breathtaking! I've just finished recording everything through my SC-55 and uploaded the results to YouTube. Hope you enjoy!

Oh man the poor old thing seems to struggle with ours a lot. I'll have to keep that in mind for next time before going ham on the layering.

1 hour ago, Sumo said:

Oh man the poor old thing seems to struggle with ours a lot. I'll have to keep that in mind for next time before going ham on the layering.

Yes, it was a real challenge not to have massive voice-robbing on some of the tracks. If it's particularly bad on your track, message me and I can re-record it! I have the SC-55 and a Roland keyboard with the SC-55 soundset hooked up, so I can split the MIDI channels between them and get  56 voices going at once. 

Oh, this is interesting! A midi pack for Alien Vendetta! I saw PsychedelicEyeball's video of that, they sound pretty good. Very nice how midi packs for the classic megawads are being made. Now we need a midi pack for the first Hell Revealed!

Really loving this midi pack. Wanted to give a special shoutout to the replacements for MAP08 and MAP10, those were the tracks I was most nervous about and interested in going in since those maps had the most iconic midis to me from the original (apart from the obvious MAP20, great remix by the way), and they were both knocked out of the park. 

I have to say I'm still rather proud of this MIDI - It was an honour to be a part of the project!

I have finally got a YouTube encode up with a MIDI Visualisation for all to see and hear, should you want to!

There are probably always going to be folks who prefer the original tracks. And then there's the likelihood of some thinking that, even if they like the new score, it doesn't feel right to have something else playing on X map. But even knowing this - knowing the weight of the legacy on your shoulders - each of you committed to producing something new because you believed that this WAD deserved its own bespoke soundtrack. "Commendable" doesn't begin to do it justice.

I know this pack was created to celebrate the 20th anniversary of AV, and to breathe a bit of life into it for veterans. But your new soundtrack has helped at least one relatively new player discover a classic - and enjoy every minute of it.

Spoiler

Hell, it actually made me make a DW account - so from this point on, if I make a nuisance of myself here, I guess y'all should blame @Cammy.

Whilst everything so far has felt on point (about to get my arse kicked by Misri Halek for the first time), I've gotta give special thanks to @msx2plus for map 10. It was the first thing I listened to from this thread, and I set it on a youtube loop for ages because I was mesmerised by this haunting, melodic track. When it finally came time to play Toxic Touch, I was actually intimidated: this map has such a reputation, and I already loved the music; what if I don't enjoy the map, or the music doesn't fit it? I needn't have worried - that was probably one of the most enjoyable experiences I've ever had with Doom.

Thank you all.

I just want to say...

The amount of talent on display here is unreal. I love this MIDI pack. I love all of your contributions. The fact that I'm listed as a contributor next to such legendary work is an honour. Especially, but not exclusively, the legendary Lee Jackson. Love it. I was a child when your music showed me the impact of a good soundtrack.

I've had this whole playlist on loop for a least a week. It's been fantastic.

Edit: The complexity and beauty of some of these tracks has been giving me a complex. It makes me want to break the barriers of what I'm capable of. The motivation and stimulation from such kind and motivated creative souls is breath taking. I love it.

On 1/6/2022 at 12:33 PM, Peter said:

Here are my MIDIs for this project up on YouTube!

Guess We are Fighting Cyberdemons sounds like a Sonic the Hedgehog track to me. Love it.

Very cool to see a project I belong to still alive and well. Thanks for the head up @Andy Johnsen

I will be sure to check it out when I get a bit of free time! I have been itching to play classic doom after well over 10+ years.

On 12/26/2021 at 2:28 PM, Sego said:

Thanks to cammy for inviting me to this project, i hope i can upload the MAP14 track on youtube pretty soon

Promises are promises

i'll be uploading my contribution up to Bandcamp and Youtube probably sometime tomorrow. here's the cover art for the track in the meantime to hold you over:

739078015_anhtraxcover.jpg.f591ebe71b36136981a5f57ff8f570c7.jpg

Was fun replaying AV on ITYTD to listen to the midis! I particularly liked the ones for MAP06, MAP10, MAP19, MAP30 and MAP31. Didn't play the old MAP25, but the track for it was also one I quite liked.

One thing that bothers me a little by the current release candidate is that the midis don't feature the names of their composer in the filename. It's a lot less convenient compared to the plutmidi or tvr!midi compilations, cause with those you don't have to search for a thread to find the credits. Other than that, no complaints.

20 hours ago, E.M. said:

So what's next? Hell Revealed MIDI pack?

It could use one, especially for the levels without music, but if you ask me Community Chest 1 and 2 need new music much more. Very few maps have midis there.

It's just ridiculous how awesome this Midi Pack is. I think this is the best one yet. I really like the mix of action tracks and brooding, menacing music achieved here. I rank several of these tracks as masterpieces that I will definitely use in the future. A very well-done to all involved!