Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RichardDS90

New Years Doom Resolutions

Anyone got any interesting Doom resolutions?

Mine is to get as much of Jazz Jackrabbit Doom done with BassSlapper. And to get a few remasters finished.

Want to actually post a map. Saw Jimmy Paddocks "Anyone an make a DOOM map" video and it's got me really wanting to make a map. 2 hours of mapping this morning before work and I got 4 rooms down, and they're all technically empty hallways but motivated to complete it (;-; unfortunately my work schedule this week will not allow for much actual time to make progress on it).

Also want to complete another D2ALL run of Doom 2. My 2nd round of attempts for it were cut short due to me not having headphones for a month or two and I didn't regain the motivation to do so when I did get some and was able to play doom again. Want to at least complete it before the anniversary of my first go at it.

I want to have a resolution that relates to mapping but I'm not sure what yet. I've got 3 days to figure something out but I do want to set some sort of year long mapping related SMART goal.

As regards to mapping: complete at least one decent map. I have one or two wips, one I actually like so far.

As regards to playing: complete a slew of wads everybody should know (popular cacoward winners etc.). Also complete uv pistol start playthroughs of all iwads (maybe even wandstart playthrough of Heretic). Third: learn to cope with saving less often than I do now.

Edit: planned wads are as follows, and I think I’ve listed them before here.

• Alien Vendetta (still on MAP06)
  • Ancient Aliens (unstarted)
  • Back to Saturn X ep 1 (still on MAP05 I think)
  • Eviternity (still on MAP11)
  • Scythe (still on MAP30 🙄)
  • Scythe 2 (still on MAP15)
  • Speed of Doom (tried out the first map)
  • Sunlust (probably HMP run, only tried out the first two maps so far)
  • Valiant (still on MAP09)
  • Vanguard (unstarted)
Edited by RHhe82 : Listed wads

This might seem a bit counterintuitive but my New Years Doom Resolution is...

...play less Doom Wads. 

The reason is that I feel that I've been too much occupied with not missing anything which feels just like I'm suffering from "Doom Wad FOMO". And this kind of leads to me not taking my time with the wads, not really appreciating them, rushing through them, etc.

Maybe I want to try to replay wads more after I finished them, try them on different difficulties, or replaying them with pistol start or whatever I can do to get new ways of experiencing the same wad. I really loved Arrival this year and I remember replaying it two weeks later with the Supercharge mod and that gave me a new appreciation for the wad.

Maybe qualitative appreciation instead of quantitative rushing might by the keywords.

Make at least one map, finish my map for community trunk and maybe make one 5 map mapset.

Oh, and work on a dehacked project.

Output another 5-map WAD (should be easy, got 3 done) and compile another one.

Hopefully I get a new computer, so I can get into GZDooM mapping.

ADO2 then take a break, a few standalone maps here and there over the next few years.

Finish this map set that I've been working on for freaking ever. I've put hundreds of hours into it, I'd like to release it before the heat death of the universe.

obligatory do a map

Finish playing more wads and not giving up them after a few levels. 

Improve my "godly skills" at speedrunning.

I'd ussually say, "Actually release a doom map for the first time in like over a year!" But honestly I can't trust myself enough to keep to that.

Make some substantial progress with actually mapping rather than dithering and suffering from perfectionism and procrastination.  I started to get on track towards the end of 2021, but being on my ageing laptop over Christmas have been unable to do much over the past week.

For Speedrunning:

- More Italo-Doom pacifist table fills.

- Do some Episode and/or D2ALL runs. (Glaive 1 + 2, Sucker Punch 1 + 2, Vanguard maybe?)

- More work on Combat Shock 1 and 2.

Not Speedrunning:
- Playtest more stuff.

- Play Disturbia, FCFF, Long Road No Turns.

- Contribute one map to a community project.

make some mods for doomworlds 
which i have some ideas for and hopefully ill make them when im done with my own stuff 

1. Actually seriously finally finish SGD v2.0.
  2. Make a proper vanilla map(set).

That's about it for the time being.

To actually release my Doom map that has been in the works for quite a while, some elements are as old as the game itself is . . .

Learn a few things. Relatively simple but there's a bunch. 

• Two-shotting cyberemonds
  • Make at least 12 maps
  • Handle basics of acs
  • Deeper understanding of hexen format features and limitations vs udmf
  • Make a DM map
  • Better texture usage

getting out of this deep depression that is still haunting me so I can mod and map again