Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
azerty

Give me some maps to playtest!

Recommended Posts

After I released my latest map I found myself with a lot of free time and I want to use that time I have to help everyone out with there maps by giving feedback. So if you have a map you want me to playtest you can post it here. I didn't only make this post to have something to do in my spare time I also want to make a small name for myself in this community. Not to get famous or anything like that just so people know they can come to me for play testing.

 

I usually prefer smaller maps and I tend to play on HMP as I am not such a good player. I only playtest with GZDoom. If this post gets lots of submissions (I doubt it) at the point that I won't be able to play all of them I will play the maps that look the most interesting to me.

I will write down my thoughts and record a video of my playthru and post it as public on YouTube. If you don't want it to be public please mention that in your reply. If I need to do some pre-release playtesting and you don't want anybody to see your map yet you can always PM me or contact me on Discord (NilsQ#4796).

I prefer you post a link to a DW post but if you don't be sure to post the needed information and some screenshots. You can post megawads but I will only play the 3 first maps or if you wan you can tell me which 3 maps you want me to play.

 

Here is my YouTube channel

 

I have no schedule or something like that I just play when I feel like it and hen I have the time. I have some plans and new year is coming up so I certainly won't be posting every day.

 

If you are a fellow playtester feel free to post any videos and feedback of the maps that where submitted here.

 

P.S.: If you find any writing mistakes let me know.

Edited by azerty

Share this post


Link to post

I've been making a random map title selector with a database from the greatest megawads and custom cover art for each. Will you be the first person beside me to point out it might be a cool idea?

 

Here's my suggestion anyway:

 

"Breaching The Unknown", the final map from Mutiny (if not counting the secret)

"Angry Quilt", a single map

"Down Through", the second map from Sunlust

 

I have all wad links in my covers thread if you need them

 

Share this post


Link to post

The idea sound very interesting but I am not sure what you want to do give me some more information. As I think I know what you want to do but I am not entirely sure.

 

4 minutes ago, game said:

Here's my suggestion anyway:

 

"Breaching The Unknown", the final map from Mutiny (if not counting the secret)

"Angry Quilt", a single map

"Down Through", the second map from Sunlust

Well thank you for the suggestions but I made this post more to give feedback to people not really just for me to play. Tho I get that the title might be a little confusing so I changed it.

Share this post


Link to post

Playtest sounds more like it. Look, I'm just finishing a patch for a community project map. Would you give it a spin later? It will be playable. I've spent countless hours polishing my part. I'll give you a thread link in half an hour or so.

 

Not all is final but we could really use a playtest.

Share this post


Link to post

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2433593

 

Angry Quilt 3.18 (The update I just made)

Preferably load it in Crispy Doom if you can be bothered and with coldpal lite which I also linked.

 

The map will require killing all mancubi to complete. This probably isn't in place right now but you can test it nonetheless. Square 2 has bugged triggers (doors) for now, don't go there preferably. There will probably be new music too.

Share this post


Link to post

I am sorry I only playtest with GZDoom I will specify this in the post as well. I will give this a go ASAP

Share this post


Link to post

It would be nice to have more eyes on the wad I'm making. This file contains 3 maps: 12, 14 and 18 that could use some testing
link

They are pretty hard, so maybe you would want to drop to HMP indeed, that would also be worth testing.

 

Post for context:

 

Edited by ViolentBeetle : I should probably have linked to the parent post.

Share this post


Link to post

How come I don't have it in my collection yet I don't know but it will be the first thing I'll play in Doom next. Hell Frontier. Awesome

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, azerty said:

if you have a map you want me to playtest

"Well, I'm glad you asked!"

 

Jokes aside, I'd love to have some more feedback on my wad HERE :D
It's already completed (except the last boss room and boss itself, but it's in a secret level, so I'm taking my time), so I'm looking for feedbacks and bug/glitch hunting before releasing it "properly"

 

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, azerty said:

Which maps do you want me to playtest @Kan3? I will play 3 map maximum. 

I see, then I'll say 9, 10, 11.

A warn though, they're the hardest (since they're the latest), so be careful if playing them on UV.

Share this post


Link to post

@game I played thru Agry Quilt. I know you just wanted me to play your part but I played as much as I could because I was having fun. This was very enjoyable. I got to your part and I thought it was pretty good as well tho I found a missing texture. I also gut stuck fighting the cyberdemon because I wasted all of my ammo not knowing he would be there. I also got stuck waiting for this super long lift to raise which was also a bit annoying. That was all this was really enjoyable and if you want you can post this video in the Angry Quilt topic.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Would appreciate it if you could give my GZDoom megawad a spin. A few of the later levels are larger and more complex, so don't feel obligated to power through it if you're getting burned out. It's fine if you need to take breaks between levels or w/e

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/29/2021 at 7:09 PM, ViolentBeetle said:

It would be nice to have more eyes on the wad I'm making. This file contains 3 maps: 12, 14 and 18 that could use some testing
link

They are pretty hard, so maybe you would want to drop to HMP indeed, that would also be worth testing.

 

Ok so I played the 3 maps you wanted and here are my thoughts. 

 

Pretty good maps overall. It's good to see a fellow archvile lover I encountered lots of them in these 3 maps. I think the dificultie was just right imo (I played on HMP pistol start). It was pretty hard but still manageable, fair and interesting. There is one fight tho that I didn't like and that is the fight in map 18 with the huge blood waterfall and all the mancubi. That wasn't really fun I just kept dieing and I didn't even want to stay there to kill the monsters so I just left that room ASAP. That really was the only fight I didn't enjoy. Sorry but no videos today anymore I will upload them tomorrow if I have the time.

Edited by azerty

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/29/2021 at 7:09 PM, ViolentBeetle said:

It would be nice to have more eyes on the wad I'm making. This file contains 3 maps: 12, 14 and 18 that could use some testing
link

They are pretty hard, so maybe you would want to drop to HMP indeed, that would also be worth testing.

 

Post for context:

 

 

Idk why but DW won't let me mention you so I just quoted you. Here is the vid as promised I hope it helps.

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, azerty said:

Idk why but DW won't let me mention you so I just quoted you. Here is the vid as promised I hope it helps.

Doomworld's editor sometimes stops accepting usernames. Usually refreshing the page fixes it. A nightmare if you want to mention 10 people for some reason

I think you forgot to actually add a link to the video though.

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/29/2021 at 7:44 PM, Kan3 said:

"Well, I'm glad you asked!"

 

Jokes aside, I'd love to have some more feedback on my wad HERE :D
It's already completed (except the last boss room and boss itself, but it's in a secret level, so I'm taking my time), so I'm looking for feedbacks and bug/glitch hunting before releasing it "properly"

 

So I played the first 2 maps and will play the third one today. I only have the video of MAP09 tho. Sorry about that I have some technical issues and it is uploading very slowly. SO far the maps where pretty fun. A bit to long imo but that's more personal. The maps look gorgeous but the best part id the scripting. I love maps with scripts it improves maps in so many ways. You did some very nice things with those scripts that add a lot to the map. I only have 2 bad things to say. I think these zombie humans do way to much damage idk if this was intended or not but I think it's a bit to much. The second thing is about the supershotgun. I noticed that the first part of the animation (shooting and when the gun goes up because of recoil) is less smooth that the second part of the animation (reloading the gun). I hope you get what I mean by this. 

Here is the video:

 

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, azerty said:

I fixed it. 

 

Thank you. I will make sure to watch it to see if there's anything on HMP I should address.

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you for playtesting Angry Quilt 3! it was somewhat inspiring to watch. I made loads of changes and fixes today. I couldn't help but smirk when you fell into the archvile hole and then complained about it. That's not how Doom works, you're stopped by infinitely tall monsters when you play on Crispy Doom or Woof. The Cyberdemon is now more manageable as well. But I hope it's not the end and other contributors to the project will also give it some more work still. 

Share this post


Link to post

I've got some maps for ya, these was in released state, but whatever

 

(MAP14 for Doom 2 the Way we Remember It)

 

(This one required Chex Quest 1)

 

(Kind of an old map I made Nanowadmo 2021)

 

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, azerty said:

So I played the first 2 maps and will play the third one today. I only have the video of MAP09 tho. Sorry about that I have some technical issues and it is uploading very slowly. SO far the maps where pretty fun. A bit to long imo but that's more personal. The maps look gorgeous but the best part id the scripting. I love maps with scripts it improves maps in so many ways. You did some very nice things with those scripts that add a lot to the map. I only have 2 bad things to say. I think these zombie humans do way to much damage idk if this was intended or not but I think it's a bit to much. The second thing is about the supershotgun. I noticed that the first part of the animation (shooting and when the gun goes up because of recoil) is less smooth that the second part of the animation (reloading the gun). I hope you get what I mean by this. 

 

Thanks a lot for your playthrough and kind words! Yeah, the more I was going on with this wad, the more I was learning new scripts etc. x) but still the lift in the server room broke at the start (it sunk in the floor initially for unknown reasons).
Yeah, I can definitely see that those zombies are attacking too fast (and 25 dmg for a "simple" knife stab is clearly too much). It looks like I've modified them so many times that I screwed them up a bit.
About the supershotgun, I wasn't the one who made the mode, I just incorporated it, I'm gonna check if I did something wrong when I modified the weapon.

I felt bed about the cyberdemon fight though, it's tricky and I'll make sure to add a faster way to kill it or it can become tedious.

About the "boss room", I'm clueless too, I probably need to rearrange some Line Horizon there.

(Forgot to mention that the BFG was impossible to obtain here without activating a script in the previous map, I should have told you to give yourself a BFG for the boss fight) 

Edited by Kan3

Share this post


Link to post

@Kan3 So I played map 11 and I am going to disappoint you here. I really didn't like it. These stone versions of the demons really annoyed me. You are going to see it very clearly in the video. They just kept pushing me around everywhere and I had no proper way to kill them and ontop of that they have a lot of health. I recorded this in 2 parts because in part one I just had enough and I stopped but today I decided to give it a go again and I finished it. But I still have to say that I really didn't have a good time with it. At the end I needed to cheat because I didn't have enough ammo to kill the boss idk if I missed something but I really didn't have enough ammo to kill him and if I needed to punch him to death I kept dieing. I am really sorry and I hope I wasn't to rude or anything. Other people might have liked it but this is my opinion. I hope it was still helpful.Here are the videos: 

 

Sorry for the weird resolution in the first 2 videos I don't really know what happened but like I said I am having some problems with uploading videos.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, azerty said:

@Kan3 So I played map 11 and I am going to disappoint you here. I really didn't like it. These stone versions of the demons really annoyed me. You are going to see it very clearly in the video. They just kept pushing me around everywhere and I had no proper way to kill them and ontop of that they have a lot of health. I recorded this in 2 parts because in part one I just had enough and I stopped but today I decided to give it a go again and I finished it. But I still have to say that I really didn't have a good time with it. At the end I needed to cheat because I didn't have enough ammo to kill the boss idk if I missed something but I really didn't have enough ammo to kill him and if I needed to punch him to death I kept dieing. I am really sorry and I hope I wasn't to rude or anything. Other people might have liked it but this is my opinion. I hope it was still helpful.Here are the videos: 

 

Sorry for the weird resolution in the first 2 videos I don't really know what happened but like I said I am having some problems with uploading videos.

those seem gzdoom maps. you can use chainsaw against pinkies in gzdoom, as the chainsaw bug is patched there. unless the creator unpatched it. it could have saved some ammo

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, azerty said:

@Kan3 So I played map 11 and I am going to disappoint you here. I really didn't like it. These stone versions of the demons really annoyed me. You are going to see it very clearly in the video. They just kept pushing me around everywhere and I had no proper way to kill them and ontop of that they have a lot of health. I recorded this in 2 parts because in part one I just had enough and I stopped but today I decided to give it a go again and I finished it. But I still have to say that I really didn't have a good time with it. At the end I needed to cheat because I didn't have enough ammo to kill the boss idk if I missed something but I really didn't have enough ammo to kill him and if I needed to punch him to death I kept dieing. I am really sorry and I hope I wasn't to rude or anything. Other people might have liked it but this is my opinion. I hope it was still helpful.

Don't worry mate! Watching you completing this despite the awful experience was definitely helpful, it doesn't exist "too rude" for simple rightful critics.

Anyhow, I don't really understand how the heck they're pushing you this powerfully, I made my "calculations" and tons of test on them and never happened something so fiercely unfair. Need to go back to planning.
The thing with those stone things is that they're highly resistant to normal bullets (how can you see from the start, that they take quite a lot of shotgun shells to bring 1 imp down and the hit sound should help understand that), while they are vulnerable to rail gun (you can 1 shot a stone imp most of the time) and plasma (a bit less vulnerable to rockets), but their health is only 100 for the imps and 200 for demons. It seems I failed to make this thing clear (back to planning again).
The same resistance/vulnerability thing goes for the bosses: in this case the boss is highly vulnerable to melee damage (that's why I put 4 berserk around his "tomb") and ideally someone should go punch him when he's healing (when you said he was stun locked, he was actually healing, as you can see from his hp bar, and will exit that state by causing him pain or by a random chance).
I definitely need to nerf his melee attack so that it's easier to punch.

That's the great part, there's no other people who tested these last maps x) (except me, of course) so I was desperately needing some feedback and you have been awesomely kind and a perfect "test subject".
Thank you a lot for your time and sorry for the frustration!  

Share this post


Link to post

@Azuris So I played your map and here is my review. Overall this a pretty solid map and I liked it. There were some interesting fights and the map itself looked pretty good. I was also always surprised to see monsters when i was backtracking which is a thing I love to do in my maps but I don't always see in other maps it keeps the player on his toes. I only have one complaint tho and that is progression. The progression van be pretty weird in certain parts. It looks like there are 2 versions of certain rooms or something like that. Watch the video and try to see where I was confused and maybe try to make some stuff clearer.

Here is the video:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

@SMG_Man I played 3 maps of your megawad. And I have to say it is looking good. I really enjoyed it and I might play some more of it when I have some time. The weapons where cool and fun to use, the levels were fun and looked nice. Combat was good but it got a bit to easy because of the huge amount of available resources. That is mu only complaint.Here is the video:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

 

@DynamiteKaitorn

The first time I played this I did something wring I think I loaded the files incorrectly which caused some of the animations to be broken but here is the new vid with the working animations. Sorry about that. I also replaced the vid in your post.

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by azerty

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×