Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
azerty

Give me some maps to playtest!

Glad to see you had a good time with it. I balanced the wad around UV, so that may be more your speed if HMP is a bit too easy for you rn.

The next map (e1m4: Supply Outpost) has a secret exit, so if you want any hints on that, let me know.

On 12/29/2021 at 7:02 PM, azerty said:

After I released my latest map I found myself with a lot of free time and I want to use that time I have to help everyone out with there maps by giving feedback. So if you have a map you want me to playtest you can post it here. I didn't only make this post to have something to do in my spare time I also want to make a small name for myself in this community. Not to get famous or anything like that just so people know they can come to me for play testing.

I usually prefer smaller maps and I tend to play on HMP as I am not such a good player. I only playtest with GZDoom. If this post gets lots of submissions (I doubt it) at the point that I won't be able to play all of them I will play the maps that look the most interesting to me.

I will write down my thoughts and record a video of my playthru and post it as public on YouTube. If you don't want it to be public please mention that in your reply. If I need to do some pre-release playtesting and you don't want anybody to see your map yet you can always PM me or contact me on Discord (NilsQ#4796).

I prefer you post a link to a DW post but if you don't be sure to post the needed information and some screenshots. You can post megawads but I will only play the 3 first maps or if you wan you can tell me which 3 maps you want me to play.

Here is my YouTube channel

I have no schedule or something like that I just play when I feel like it and hen I have the time. I have some plans and new year is coming up so I certainly won't be posting every day.

If you are a fellow playtester feel free to post any videos and feedback of the maps that where submitted here.

P.S.: If you find any writing mistakes let me know.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JbfsQzLhnmLxLnxY7VdUBZDYRkf4NKmU/view?usp=sharing here

I have 9 or so released in the last 18 months (COVID proved to be quite productive...) on IDGames:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames//index.php?search=1&field=author&word=Smeghammer&sort=time&order=asc&page=1

Some are better than others - the first was 'Hellbreach' and the most recent released is 'Corporate Nightmare'

They are all designed for play on GZDoom and make use of some advanced features. Some are quite experimental... I'd love to know what you think.

Thanks,

On 1/1/2022 at 7:37 PM, azerty said:

@Azuris So I played your map and here is my review. Overall this a pretty solid map and I liked it. There were some interesting fights and the map itself looked pretty good. I was also always surprised to see monsters when i was backtracking which is a thing I love to do in my maps but I don't always see in other maps it keeps the player on his toes. I only have one complaint tho and that is progression. The progression van be pretty weird in certain parts. It looks like there are 2 versions of certain rooms or something like that. Watch the video and try to see where I was confused and maybe try to make some stuff clearer.

Here is the video:

@Azuris

Something to add to the comments from watching the gameplay video(haven't played it yet, on my "to do" list). 

You have creative texture usage. I like that everything (Edit almost) is done using stock textures, and it looks better than some maps using custom textures. Good job!

Also in 13:50 the room reminds me of mario maker 2 troll levels, where the room is similar, but something is different. You me reminded me of a trick known twice twice. So even if that wasn't the idea, it's still a nice touch. 

17:30 gameplay wise I can see why it's confusing, but I do like the yellow skull marker. However not seeing the rest of the level, unless you have yellow skull key somewhere, i suggest using uniform keys.

Having seen the rest of the video now, yhea uniform key usage would be a thing to change. Either all keycards(thus keycar markers) or all skull keys (Thus skull key markers). Or if you use different keys, then you should use the corresponding marker. 

21:30 now that is a very nice usage of a twice twice concept. Good job!

I made a custom map for the holidays would be cool if you could try it out. I suggest saving between each of the arenas. The map is on map04.

@lokbustam257 Here are the videos: 

Sorry for the long wait. I only played 2 of your submissions because I don't play chex quest maps sorry. Only doom maps. But what I played was pretty fun. Your recreation of MAP14 was pretty good. I see some thing and areas that are misplaced but I am sure I wouldn't do much better. Flooded with demons was a pretty good map also. Combat was fun and most areas looked nice. Though some parts of the level looked a bit flat imo. Some detailing would do the trick. There where also some areas that were unnecessarily big. That was all I had fun with it and I hope it helps.

I’ve got a WIP megawad I can request a few plays from. Details and screenies and download are in the linked first post

For reasons of needing more feedback, I request you play:

MAP05 (a tiny 1024 map)

MAP06 (a small concept map)

MAP13 (especially this one because I have no feedback on it yet)

Thanks for offering your time and playing talents for us!!

Hi, I would be interested to have your feedback on this map I made. I restarted mapping for Doom last year after a 24 years break. This is the second map I made.

Thank you for your time!

ELEVATE-beta2.zip

On 1/2/2022 at 9:26 PM, smeghammer said:

I have 9 or so released in the last 18 months (COVID proved to be quite productive...) on IDGames:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames//index.php?search=1&field=author&word=Smeghammer&sort=time&order=asc&page=1

Some are better than others - the first was 'Hellbreach' and the most recent released is 'Corporate Nightmare'

They are all designed for play on GZDoom and make use of some advanced features. Some are quite experimental... I'd love to know what you think.

Thanks,

What maps do you want me to play? I will play 3 maps you can choose which ones.

@Womneare So I played the first 3 maps of your wad and I thought it was pretty good. I is apparently still WIP but I am curious to see what this will become.

2 hours ago, azerty said:

What maps do you want me to play? I will play 3 maps you can choose which ones.

Ok... 

Corporate Nightmare

Belials Ruin

A Nail in the Skin of the World

One map each. Have fun! And thanks for playing.

@donevan427 Here are my thoughts about your level:

The concept is pretty fun. Complete a small challenge, get back to the hub, get some supplies and onto the next one. I was a bit shocked when I saw the monster count but it turned out to be OK. All the "challenges" were fun except for one. The one with a lot of elevators wasn't fun. There where to much shotgunners that just shot you dead while you tried to kill all the cacodemons. I certainly liked the later more difficult ones those were hard but fun. Overall a very solid map good job.

5 hours ago, azerty said:

@donevan427 Here are my thoughts about your level:

The concept is pretty fun. Complete a small challenge, get back to the hub, get some supplies and onto the next one. I was a bit shocked when I saw the monster count but it turned out to be OK. All the "challenges" were fun except for one. The one with a lot of elevators wasn't fun. There where to much shotgunners that just shot you dead while you tried to kill all the cacodemons. I certainly liked the later more difficult ones those were hard but fun. Overall a very solid map good job.

Thanks for trying out my map and leaving giving me feedback. always interesting seeing new players play your map differently then you expect. When testing the map myself I found the hedge maze area tougher than the blue and silver area you had more trouble with. I also can make the line dev that raises the lift further out so it happens without having to get so close, that was something that never even occured to me when testing since I know how the lift works but of course people playing the map first time won't know that.

About opening the opening the gate on the castle part, I did make it so you can open it from the outside for coop play. I could either put a switch up by the teleport to open the gate up from inside, or put a teleport to the start of the map from the end, so you can collect kills/secrets that you might of missed.

@azerty

Thank you for playing, the video and your words :)

Yep, having monsters while you do backtracking does not only engage the player, it is also a good way to give some lead through the map.

(jumping was not allowed :), so good choice not to walk up the blood river)

Normally there should spawn Cacos when you climb the "Pyramid", but i made the trigger to small, so you had a much more boring way up.

The idea of the map is, that you play it upsite down in parts.

I've copied whole parts and mirrowed it and than designed areas around it.

There are also mutliple ways to the exit room, the elevator to the right only works if you are upsite down.

I should put some lights in there to make it maybe more clear and make the door frame in a selfexplaning way.

The repeatable switches are a leftover of my own testing.

Since i knew that i had to press them only once i forgot totally about them...

@DarkIceCyclone

Thank you, was also sometimes hard to find ways in the usage of the textures because i could not just mirrow them, when being upsite down.

I am not sure if should have mentioned that players will be upsite down, but i wanted to see how a natural reaction is when going in blind.

I really should change the Keys, it also made

@Biodegradable* confused. (also thank you for playing).

Idea was that is half ancient, half technology and thats why there are two kind of keys.

But seemingly it can bug also certain Ports.

So what was not seen so far was the tunnel Area down the elevator where the Exit is and the Secret Lab.

Thats why so many Monsters are left in the Playthrough.

I'll rework some things.

Btw.

I've put some triggers here and there to close doors when players walk over.

Running out a door through the other end of the map could possible cause some visplane errors :P

That was my small trick to have a big mainhall and more detailed inner sections.

@smeghammer Here is the video I will play the rest of your maps later but here is the first one. Pretty cool map there are some things I didn't like and I pointed those out in the video I hope it helps. Sorry for the wait i am getting a bit delayed I hope that I can play the whole day tomorrow so I can get some more progress thru all these maps.

Hey @azerty, thanks for the playthrough! I'll have a proper look at it tomorrow when the kids are at school. :-)

As I said, I was playing with ideas and the map is somewhat experimental. It was all based around the idea of the mirrored windows, with the glass breaking effect on the upper floor desk area. It needed lots of buggering about with sector portals to try and get the views from inside to the upper floor working. Turns out that looking through a line portal (the window) and a sector portal (the sky to the next floor up) causes odd visual effects of you try and add more portals. Sort of hangs together though...  

@smeghammer Here are the rest pf the maps. Overall very good, I certainly liked Belials Ruin. A Nail in the Skin of the World was also pretty fun though some fights were a bit rough and the progression was a bit weird as well. I am sertaily talking about the big imp and demon fight. I think that giving the player a berserk would make it way more fun.

@Stupid Bunny This was fun! I love this I really liked it. Short, sweet, challenging but not unfair I really liked it. I don't really have a complaint. You should maybe make the shootable switch in MAP05 look more shootable or make it less like the other switches that's all really. Good job!

@azerty Thanks for playing all of these!  Lol interestingly the stuck cyberdemon in MAP06 is not at all what I intended to happen, although it does make an interesting alternative way to cheese the cyberdemon as opposed to the way I've actually intended the player to cheese the cyberdemon (and save ammo in the process).  I'll probably fix it anyway, but fun to see you, Clippy and Bio all beat the cyber in slightly different unintended ways :p  Super helpful videos, can see a few things I want to change or tweak for the final edits.

14 hours ago, azerty said:

@smeghammer Here are the rest pf the maps. Overall very good, I certainly liked Belials Ruin. A Nail in the Skin of the World was also pretty fun though some fights were a bit rough and the progression was a bit weird as well. I am sertaily talking about the big imp and demon fight. I think that giving the player a berserk would make it way more fun.

Hey nice playthroughs man! I see what you mean about ANITSOTW though - about 2/3 through I see a bunch of the arena floor rise up with default grey walls. That should not happen...

I need to dig into that I think. Which engine version are you using? There is some possibly flaky ACS that may be broken.

2 hours ago, smeghammer said:

I need to dig into that I think. Which engine version are you using? There is some possibly flaky ACS that may be broken.

I am using GZDoom.

1 hour ago, azerty said:

I am using GZDoom.

Right - I see what is going on - the weird grey-sided bits that rise when the nail is going in should actually LOWER into the floor, to simulate the cut getting wider. I'll have a look at that properly later on. I think I fucked something up...

Cool map you got there @|Raph| I like it. I did way worse stuff as a beginner. Combat at the beginning was overall OK nothing to special but those last fights were really fun. I wasn't a big fan of the fight in the room surrounded by crushers. Some of the area looked unnecessarily big and because of this they some rooms look a bit flat. Some height variation in the ceiling and the floor would help. Like you did with the garden in the outdoors area. Overall pretty cool map, I had fun with it.

Here is the video:

Something went wrong during the recording so it is in 2 parts.

Thank you @azerty. I will change the texture of the doors that aren't openable like you stated. Also, it's true that the room with the big crushers need some reworking. I will try to figure out a way to make it more engaging and better looking.

Thank you again for your feedback!

@NaturalTvventy Pretty difficult map but still fair. If felt like monsters came from everywhere or something it was quite stressful but I liked it.                                  Here is the video:

Hi! I posted my map some time ago and got some feedback. Since then I put a lot of work into it (so dont be deterred by the comments) and before I give that thread a push I'd like to get more opinions (so please post in this topic).

On 12/29/2021 at 6:02 PM, azerty said:

I tend to play on HMP as I am not such a good player

that's excellent because difficulty was the most quoted critique. You might even play on not too rough. The map is on the bigger side though!

5 hours ago, azerty said:

@NaturalTvventy Pretty difficult map but still fair. If felt like monsters came from everywhere or something it was quite stressful but I liked it.                                  Here is the video:

Thanks for playing! To get the yellow key you have to hop up on a flaming barrel as it passes by.