Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

If you could be just one...

...of Heretic or HeXen's enemies, what you would be and why?
I myself would be either the Disciple from Heretic or the Dark Bishop from HeXen, mainly cause they're both relatively powerful and they're so damn cool.

heh
I thought the "Doom Monster Hollywood Squares" thread on Doom Center was bad... oh wait it was... but you get the point...

Dark Bishops aren't that powerful. They have around as much health as an Ettin. However, they can fly around and shoot those green homing shots. Disciples of D'Sparil have a bit more health and their spell does more damage. Plus they can turn translucent and might even drop a Tome of Power when killed. If it was a choice between just those two, I'd go with the latter.

Other good Heretic enemies:

Nitrogolem - people tend to underestimate these guys, fighting them and in enemy placement. While they are weak, if they are used right, they can be deadly.

Undead Warrior Ghost - Nearly immune to the Phoenix Rod (unpowered) and absolutely immune to the Firemace, they are one of the most feared enemies around. Their bloody axes are devastating, and they can go through other ghosts. This means you can pack a bunch of them in a fairly small area, and every one of them will be able to hit you, instead of just the ones in front.

Iron Lich - If only these things could fly, they would be far more dangerous than they already are. Still, they are very nasty, and those tornadoes can send you to Oz if you're not careful.

Maulotaur - Big, mean, and very strong. One thing puzzles me about them though. If they start their fiery ground attack on any liquid, it does nothing, but if it starts on land, the attack will have no problems crossing liquids.

D'Sparil - Very strong, can summon other enemies and teleport around. It's always fun when there's more than one D'Sparil in a map. When one dies, all the other ones die as well. I don't know if it's possible, but I wonder if one D'Sparil can telefrag another, killing them both.

Now the good Hexen enemies:

Stalkers - These things are sneaky and can cause serious damage. They're easy to kill, but anything more than a couple of hits from them, and you're dead.

Centaurs - Their shields make for some real fun. I've had one attack bounce off of their shields and slam into an Ettin. The Ettin then decided to go after the Centaur the attack reflected off of. Slaughtaurs are just plain dangerous.

Heresiarch - For some real laughs, play some Ping Pong. As a mage activate your Icon of the Defender, then when he has his shield up, fire a Bloodscourge shot or two. It will bounce off of him and back to you, then back to him, and so on until one of the shields wears off.

Korax - His shots can be easily avoided, but his main strength is his ability to run scripts. You can make him do just about anything you want, depending on how devious your imagination is. Unfortunately, there hasn't been very many maps which use Korax to his full potential.

Given the choice between all these, I'd go with the Heresiarch. Throw in the Carnage Galore enemies, and...points to title and avatar...

Ichor said:

Maulotaur - Big, mean, and very strong. One thing puzzles me about them though. If they start their fiery ground attack on any liquid, it does nothing, but if it starts on land, the attack will have no problems crossing liquids.

That's actually changed now - a while back I played my episode with ZDoom v25 and they could send fire across the ground when starting on water.

If I had the know-how for scripting, I'd use Korax to his full potential. Make a big, devious, map full of enemies and traps, yet scary. At the end is Korax, who instantly teleports into the next to final room in the level. A bunch of miscellaneous enemies teleports in for a couple minutes, leaving you to desparately fight them off. Afterwards, some Mana Y and Z appears, along with some Vials and a Quartz Flask or two or three.
After that, a wall lowers, you walk inside, the wall raises back up to its original position, then the final battle begins. This is where everything would begin to go apeshit.....Ah, the possibilities....

I have my own ideas, but a few of them would require changes to the source code.