Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Doomworld Maximum Project 2022 - Uploaded!

Thanks for playing my map, Bio! I agree, it is one of the meaner maps I've made.

2 hours ago, eltiolavara9 said:

as is tradition i'm beginning my map on like the last month of the year

I almost always do the same as well. Looking forward to seeing your map!

On 1/1/2022 at 7:00 PM, Obsidian said:

If you're using custom textures, make sure that they're all named with a 3-letter prefix of your username: something like OBS_****, for example.

I have a question, im gonna be using 32in24-15_tex_v2 for my map. How will I be able to change the texture's names since i don't know which ones i will use to begin with?

Edited by jazzmaster9

7 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

I have a question, im gonna be using 32in24-15_tex_v2 for my map. How will I be able to change the texture's names since i don't know which ones i will use to begin with?

Sadly there's no way, you must pick the ones you *think* you want to use and rename yourself. At least that's what I did.

Not gonna lie, it was restraining sometimes. Actually I had another map built on another texture set which I rather didn't submit for the same reason - if you've already created your map, renaming the textures if a GIGANTIC hassle as far as I know.

So this isn't ideal, but IMHO it only requires a tiny amount of pre-planning.

Hey there! I made this map a while ago. Figured I could hand it over to this project. It's a big red cavern inspired by some maps from Extremal Doom, one of my favourite wads. Not one of my best but I like the atmosphere, specially the sky. Special thanks to @Fiendish and @Large Cat for playtesting months ago, and @Cammy for the awesome midi!

>>> DOWNLOAD <<<

Spoiler

extremalcave2.gif.04e2e218de79df97c4b26f7c8bf1b4aa.gif

Name: A Duras Penas
Music: Of Serpents Nailed to Fate, by Cammy 
Format: Boom
Textures: Most new textures are from Hexen, with a couple from Extremal Doom
Multiplayer support: No
Difficulty settings: Yes, kinda
Jumping: No
Crouching: No
Freelook: Not necessary
Tested in: DSDA Doom and PRBoom+

Unfortunately, you'll have to take my name off the list, there is no way I'm gonna be able to finish up a map before the end of the year this time around.  Ideas & motivation just completely dried up for me this year :(

@Rorix: Early pass, not finished a run but yeah there's a problem. Soul sphere cubby hole at elevator. There's a missing texture on the elevator itself and if you let yourself stay in the gap where the soul sphere is, you get stuck. You probably need a switch and texture fix. More later, maybe.

Thanks for letting me know. Fixed the elevator issue, and a couple of minor things that I forgot. Map and link are updated.

Here's my submission for the project.

Name: Sentinel Station

IWAD: Doom 2

Music: Horizon by Tom Mustaine (from TNT Evilution)
Textures: 232in24-15tex

Difficulty Settings: Yes

Multiplayer: Co-op Starts only

Tested with:

• prboom+ 2.5.1.4
  • dsda-doom-0.21.3

sentinel_station_dmp2022.zip

Screenshots:

Spoiler

977275454_Screenshot(233).png.b44d8bf51bd07bec70db47b516eaf68b.png

1231232270_Screenshot(235).png.4edc0412162aecafa0665108c03174a5.png

Name: stop me if you've heard this one. a marine walks into an infected space station (crowd starts chuckling)

IWAD: Doom 2

Music: machine in the walls by mudeth

Textures: doom1tex

Difficulty Settings: yep

Multiplayer: none

Tested with: gzdoom, prboom plus (any version should work? it's not like the map does anything particularly interesting)

kind of a speedmap-ish-not really

stop me if you've heard this one.rar

@eltiolavara9 Cool atmosphere and lighting with some esoteric room layouts. It throws at lot at you with minimal arsenal, so a tough pistol-start, but nothing too stupidly mean or unbalanced. Good job, fam.

Here's an update to my map.  OP will be updated as well.  Overall the map is now slightly easier and has fewer enemies on all difficulties with the western pinky pit and the final arena seeing the most changes.  I think the difficulty ramps up more smoothly in this version.  Feel free to let me know your thoughts.

Download - Change the Channel v2

I finally just finished mine, close before my xmas holidays. I went too far with details this time so it exceeds the limits for vanilla (which would be original goal) and no way to fix this, so it needs limit removing (as tested with Crispy Doom and GZDoom).

Name: Zolita Fields
Author: Optimus
Format: Limit Removing
Multiplayer support: No
Difficulty settings: Yes
Jumping: No
Crouching: No
Freelook: Not necessary
Tested in: Crispy Doom, GZDoom

zolita_fields.zip

@Optimus Sorry, no gameplay this time as my footage got corrupted: Played on UV w/ GZDoom.

It all plays well enough and I progressed all the way. I wasn't sure how to obtain the SSG from behind the fireblu bars, so I assume it's a secret of sorts. One thing that did stand out to me was the plasma gun sitting on a very tall podium next to the blue door. Is it supposed to lower at some point during progression or is it a secret? I couldn't work it out as it never lowered by itself, yet there's plasma cells beyond that point that make me think that you want the play to have it by that point. I felt the map overall was a bit too big given what little demons there are. There's a few sizeable scuffles, but nothing to really warrant how large it is, which did make navigating back and forth a bit of a chore. I also noticed I ran out of ammo a fair bit before obtaining the blue skullkey, which meant I had to run around some enemies rather than engage with them, so I think adding some more would be nice.

Latest version: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2588113

This is not the final version but I really wanted to get something uploaded before Christmas. It is fully playable with everything in place, just needs a few tweaks.
Difficulties aren't implemented yet, so it's UV only. Also no music or name yet. It requires OTEX.
Spent way too much time detailing, but hopefully gameplay doesn't suffer too much!
windbagjacket_DMAXP22_beta1.zip

Edited by WindbagJacket : Obsolete version

Hi.  I have a map submission for the Vanilla/Limit Removing section this year:

Download Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qLh9jPzHjPAbaUUQQ3yEKtCXLrU-1AXs/view?usp=share_link

A tech base map with some hell influence mixed in, and a red key that just doesn't want to cooperate.
Players seeking a more casual experience should play on "Hey Not Too Rough."
The Easy & Medium difficulty settings should mostly retain the feel of playing on Ultra-Violence while being easier to play.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

cMq9cvw.jpgTtRZk4W.jpgGY4DkHw.jpg

Play Information:

Title:  UAC Underworld
Filename: uac-underworld-v2.wad
Map Format:  Doom (limit removing), with an optional sky transfer that will work in many ports
IWAD:  DOOM2.WAD
Compatibility:  -complevel 2 (Doom Strict for GZDoom)
Single player only
Jumping & Crouching are not recommended and may break parts of the map
Difficulty settings have been implemented

These ports should run fine:
 -GZDoom (version 4.9.0)
 -Crispy Doom (version 5.12.0)
 -DSDA Doom (version 0.24.3)
 -Woof (version 10.4.0)
 -PrBoom+ (version 2.6.2)
 -Doom Retro (version 4.6.2) - Untested for this map version.  Previous map versions had VERY minor visual bugs.

These ports have bugs:
 -Helion (version 0.9.1) - There are major bugs, but it should be playable.  I haven't messed around to see if the existing bugs can be fixed by a menu setting.

Probably wont run on:
 -DOS Doom - Untested
 -Chocolate Doom - Untested

Known Bugs:
 -Some fire barrels can clip through map geometry in ways that are unintended.

Additional Credits:

James Paddock for his wonderful music track "Cataclysmic Impact" | Made for Plutonia 2 MAP30

Eradrop at doomworld for his sky texture - https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/93446

Edited by Sesamia

Name: Viridis Extrema

Author: Russell Bowtell

Engine: GZDoom UDMF

Difficulties: Some of the tougher monsters are removed or replaced on skills 1 - 3

Music: Fear Eater by Mark Klem

Textures: OTEX by ukiro, Doom 2

Sky: Mechadon's Box 'o Skies! DBSESKY2 (Recolored by me)

Lightmode: 2 "Doom"

Description: My first attempt at using OTEX, the map is a switch/key hunt culminating in a big BFG fight.
The player can collect the keys in any order, there is also a Duke Nukem style combination lock that can be opened anytime. Jumping, crouching and mouselook are allowed and encouraged but it should be completable without them.
It takes me 35 to 40 minutes to 100% it but others have done it much faster :)

The textures I used are included in the wad and are named "JSM*****.png"

Cheers Obsidian! ☺️
JaySmithen_DMP2022_v1.7z

Edited by JaySmithen

Finally finished my map!

Name: Blood of the Void
Author: Ninehills42
Format: Boom (barely, almost ran out of linedefs)
Difficulty levels: Added
Textures: N42*

Music: Hocus Pocus Theme originally by Rob Wallace
Jumping, Crouching: No

Co-Op: No
Freelook: No, but it wont break the map
Build time: ~300ish hours, but i didnt measure it, might be more, might be less
Tested in: Prboom+ v2.6.2 (Suggested sourceport, or similar), GZdoom g4.1.3 (laggy), Zandronum 3.1 (very laggy)
Description: I dont actually remember where I got the idea from, but I wanted to make a black+red themed map for quite a while, so I've decided to make it this year. At first I didnt plan it to be a slaughter map, but it turned out to be one. UV is very difficult, HMP is more forgiving but still challanging, and HNTR is for "casual" playthrough (you will still die when playing through the first time). Hint: secrets are switch based, please don't hump black walls.

Download: BloodoftheVoid.7z

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20221224_220938.png.9e26371331aef84db659733783e5f4bc.pngScreenshot_Doom_20221224_221047.png.13e616b164538f5f09298a2106c827eb.pngScreenshot_Doom_20221224_221119.png.b9f154c594340be21164275c3d6e7476.pngScreenshot_Doom_20221224_221219.png.30d997a3b1b015a18a8ed74a5e748d76.png

Any feedback is welcome :)

Oh and Merry Christmas everyone!

Edited by Ninehills42

Finalised my map, although I need some help with compiling the custom textures in the wad (see below). Here is the full info:

Spoiler

1578516699_1(Small).png.d62b6f72f8fbf1f31213baf2aa3d5be9.png1986401366_2(Small).png.fb08ecf11761c1f11fd3becbd94247c6.png1209761231_3(Small).png.43db1a7a0973038b0f15610cb5802487.png1323224317_4(Small).png.5faf83839f6971827a9a063f448c7ab9.png1772116555_5(Small).png.b147f68e7e0e5e09be787ac548fe7c43.png1241120769_6(Small).png.1ef185b08c6935ce2decba95737cd2ca.png

Download: WBJ_EmberCity_v2.zip WBJ_EmberCity_v1.zip

Name: Ember City

Author: WindbagJacket

Difficulty levels: Yes

Co-op: Player starts included, but not tested at all.

Deathmatch: No

Custom textures and sky: OTEX 1.1 by Ukiro

Texture names: Custom textures not currently included. I tried adding the used textures from OTEX to my wad in Slade, but for some reason the switches and animated textures/flats didn't work correctly. Then after renaming to WBJ* the textures didn't work at all. Any advice on how to do this properly?

Music: Ghostgrinder by James Paddock (from Eviternity MAP24: Gossamer)

Jumping, crouching: No

Freelook: Shouldn't break anything

Build time: 7 months, on and off. Maybe ~100 hours. Too long.

Tested in: GZDoom (g4.10pre-86-g169139c22) (recommended), PrBoom v2.5.0 (some visual bugs)

Description: A trip through a vaguely demonic city with some fleshy bits, including a set of overly detailed demonic jaws. Originally intended to be much smaller but grew fairly organically. The 2 keys can be collected in any order but other than that the map is fairly linear, with some larger open fights connected by more linear paths. There is a secret laundry room!

Edited by WindbagJacket : Updated to v2

@WindbagJacket I really enjoyed this gothic castle romp! Excellent texture work and fun combat setpieces.

Don't worry, folks, I'll get to the rest of you soon! I plan on playtesting as many of these other maps tomorrow in a big catch-up session.