Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Doomworld Maximum Project 2022 - Uploaded!

2 hours ago, Shibainumaster said:

Hey @Obsidian, will we put maps in order by theme or by other criteria? I just thought of grouping maps by aesthetic and difficulty (i.e Easy techbase maps frist, hard,hell themed maps last etc.)

I don’t mean to speak for Obsidian, but if I remember correctly maps are grouped by format e.g boom maps grouped together, UDMF grouped together, etc. There’s no grouping by theme as far as I know. Obsidian, feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

9 hours ago, Silent Wolf said:

Obsidian, feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

No, that's about the size of it, heh.

Also the OP has been updated! Congrats on being the first submission of the year @Pegleg!

On 1/17/2022 at 2:01 PM, Pegleg said:

As I said, I wasn't able to finish a map in time for last year's Maximum Project, so I had one ready to go for this year's submission. Although there was still a decent amount of work that I didn't realize was unfinished as of December 30th and a lot of tweaking that was still to be done, so I'm rather glad I didn't try to finish it in time and just held it for this year. Finally, I'm submitting a map to one of these year-long projects before the last week in December.

Small victories, people. Small victories.

Anyway, without further ado, here is my submission for the Doomworld Maximum Project 2022.

dmaxp22p_v1.zip

Map Name: Against the Smiling Horde

Version: 1

Format: Limit-removing

Textures used: Jimmytex by James Paddock (A huge thank you to @Jimmy for the great textures--seriously, more people should use this gem of a texture pack!)

Music: "Into the Furnace" by James Paddock (Another thank you to Jimmy for a great midi!)
Difficulties: Implemented
Co-op: Starts only
Deathmatch: Starts only
Tested with: Chocolate Doom v. 3.0.0, PrBoom+ v. 2.5.1.4, ZDoom v. 2.8.1, GZDoom v. 3.2.5, GZDoom 4.1.3, GZDoom 4.6.0

Known Bugs: Drawseg overflows in Chocolate Doom; Switches that don't animate (but do work) in Chocolate Doom; Possible softlock getting the soul sphere if you try to strafe run and get it before getting the blue key (I was never able to do it, but that doesn't mean it's impossible)

Story: The Grinning Gargoyle is the code name given to one of the demonic lords. It sent part of its horde to take over one of the forward bases to convert it to a portal for massing its assault. The armed forces were occupied with other battles elsewhere and couldn't spare a large force to retake the base. So, they sent you, one of their elite soldiers, to teleport into the base and liberate it from evil.

Notes on the map: My original intention was for this map to be vanilla, and it is quite possible to finish this map in Chocolate Doom, albeit with a number of drawseg overflows in the final room. However, if you press a particular switch in the final area and look in a particular direction, it is quite possible to trigger a visplane overflow. Therefore, this map is close to vanilla, but I feel more comfortable calling it limit-removing. The difficulty level of the map is meant to be moderate, and the ammo is somewhat balanced across difficulties, but shouldn't feel too tight overall. It's a relatively straightforward map, with a few turns and a bit of freedom along its linear way.

dmaxp22p_1.png.2de0f67009998fc761689f3d739bec76.pngdmaxp22p_2.png.2fe7da29eef7eb2f8ffd737f4c74b7f6.pngdmaxp22p_3.png.8901581b1b732c48d2fc55abf99ad18a.pngdmaxp22p_4.png.e37321c3cffeb00f5f67c6f651846499.pngdmaxp22p_5.png.5bd4853c17e13a1b5a241974e1f085d5.png

Really enjoyed this map - at first it was a survival game for me and I loved the rush of trying to keep it going - will I get through it without getting murdered? @Biodegradable joined me for commentary and I'm glad he did cause I get lost easily lol - this map was a blast!

On 1/22/2022 at 7:43 PM, Scorpius said:

MAP INFO:

Name: Point Violation

Play: Single and cooperative

Comp: Limit removing / -complevel 2

MIDI: Frivolous Encounter by Mark Klem

Tested: PrBoom+ v2.5.1.4 / Zandronum v3.0

VIOLATION.ZIP

SCREENSHOTS:

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_Doom_20220122_231849.png.2ecf2bb60ee2147c4cb84453239c62d3.png

Nice short but challenging map - Bio joined in on commentary was fun fast and furious with cool secrets good times

I was especially drawn to the opening design of the map before you go in looks cool

@Biodegradable and @Clippy

Thanks for the playthroughs from both of you and for the comments! By the way, I'm glad you enjoyed the map, and I enjoyed seeing you work your way through the map, especially the parts that seemed obvious to me, and that I figured would be fairly obvious to players.

First, as far as the sequence breaking at the beginning, I had considered blocking the way out of the initial teleport area, but I decided to leave it alone to add some flexibility to the map. I don't think it gives you much of an advantage to be able to walk around out there--you can't really skip much of the map by going that way--so I just left it alone. If people want to go that way instead of using the shootable switch, then fine. I have made some changes to try to make the shootable switch more obvious.

Incidentally, there are no switches that are "random." They're usually next to, or in the same room as, the thing they activate (door they open, floor they lower, etc.). The exceptions are switches or walkover triggers related to secrets and one switch that opens a door that you can see (and hear) through a window. I have made some of the switches more obvious, though, based on your advice.

The metal switches will be staying, though, because that's part of the aesthetic of the map. And whenever there's a metal switch that is lit, it's not actually a useable switch. I may consider doing something to address the issue with monsters in cages. Thanks again for all the thoughts.

My submission for the project:

Title: "A Bloated Notion"

Format: UDMF

Target port: GZDoom

Playtime: roughly 20 minutes

Difficulties: implemented, balanced HMP, UV... you signed up for it.

Freelook encouraged. Jumping / crouching not required 

MIDI: "Menu" from ZONE 66

Textures: stock / OTEX / sky from Lazygamer's Sky Pack

No coop, no deathmatch

Thanks to @King Know-Nothing for the playtesting and @Obsidian for taking an extra look at it. 

It's got all the goodies you never asked for - archies ambushes, mazes, inescapable death pits, and a rather slaughtery finale.

Nothing insormountable but also not a complete pushover. Kinda unfair on UV, or so playtesters told me. 

image.png.d6f5fdec31efe841d65b0f8bc966d166.png

image.png.7091e03f789cb51157a6ddccadc301ca.png

1 hour ago, Biodegradable said:

"What an a**hole map."

Biodegradable, 2022

😆 thanks for playing!

Edited by Thelokk

Alright, I'm gonna be adding an additional rule:

• Resources (not including the map) must not exceed 2mb.

I'm still in the process of compiling the DMP for last year and the amount of unwieldy resources I've had to contend with has been incredibly stupid, something that is only made worse by the folks who submitted their maps without the textures renamed. Keep your resources manageable and make sure you rename all your textures in the manner specified in the OP. 👍

(For those of you who already submitted maps this year, I'll make an exception for y'all: I think I can live with a couple of weighty submissions)

5 hours ago, Obsidian said:

I'm still in the process of compiling the DMP for last year and the amount of unwieldy resources I've had to contend with has been incredibly stupid, something that is only made worse by the folks who submitted their maps without the textures renamed. Keep your resources manageable and make sure you rename all your textures in the manner specified in the OP. 👍

(For those of you who already submitted maps this year, I'll make an exception for y'all: I think I can live with a couple of weighty submissions)

I'm certainly guilty of this. My bad!

In fact, I had a question on the topic: when you compile a megawad on SLADE, does each map need its own set of resources even if they are shared or one can, say, plop OTEX at the end and it counts for all maps? 

4 minutes ago, Thelokk said:

In fact, I had a question on the topic: when you compile a megawad on SLADE, does each map need its own set of resources even if they are shared or one can, say, plop OTEX at the end and it counts for all maps? 

I'd prefer it if each map had its own set of resources, yeah: I've had multiple cases where 2 different textures have had the same name during compiling, so it's unfortunately a necessity.

Oh my god bois you still do this thing?! It's been exactly 10 years since the first Mega Project happened, also the first time I contributed :P in hindsight, I only had two contributions that I can consider a good map.

Time to change that, and jump back for an anniversary - sign me up! Gonna be fun to find out how can I use some big ass resource pack and still keep it under 2MB, but I'm dead sure I'm going to enjoy it!

Question: I aim for limit-removing so sky transfer is a no-no sadly; I guess I should get used to what Doom 2 has to offer, right? I mean, you're not intending on using a custom sky for LR maps? I'm OK either way, chances are I'm going to stick with Boom format either way

Edited by Katamori

36 minutes ago, Katamori said:

Question: I aim for limit-removing so sky transfer is a no-no sadly; I guess I should get used to what Doom 2 has to offer, right? I mean, you're not intending on using a custom sky for LR maps? I'm OK either way, chances are I'm going to stick with Boom format either way

I'm alright with people using sky transfers in limit removing maps. :) If the maps weren't in a compilation they'd likely have custom skies via replacing RSKY1, so it still feels within the spirit of the project to me.

1 minute ago, Obsidian said:

I'm alright with people using sky transfers in limit removing maps. :) If the maps weren't in a compilation they'd likely have custom skies via replacing RSKY1, so it still feels within the spirit of the project to me.

Thanks! One bit isn't clear for me though: if multiple limit-removing maps have their own sky transfer, but it's done by replacing the texture instead of map sector effect, then how do you merge all of them to show the proper sky on the proper map?

I can imagine there's a lump like MAPINFO or UMAPINFO for that but how does that stay compatible with Crispy Doom and other LR ports?

I'm rusty on Doom modding, to be honest.

12 minutes ago, Katamori said:

Thanks! One bit isn't clear for me though: if multiple limit-removing maps have their own sky transfer, but it's done by replacing the texture instead of map sector effect, then how do you merge all of them to show the proper sky on the proper map?

I can imagine there's a lump like MAPINFO or UMAPINFO for that but how does that stay compatible with Crispy Doom and other LR ports?

I'm rusty on Doom modding, to be honest.

In regards to last year's DMP, I've had to rename the sky textures and add linedef-based sky transfers myself. It's a bit annoying, heh.

1 minute ago, Obsidian said:

In regards to last year's DMP, I've had to rename the sky textures and add linedef-based sky transfers myself.

image.png.ee0941e669dd7ab955004a6fb6a12015.png

On 2/6/2022 at 11:36 PM, Obsidian said:

I was planning to make some revisions and submit a revised version. I can strip out the additional textures and flats if you would prefer, since they are straight out of Jimmytex. I didn't make anything custom, which is why I didn't think of renaming anything.

1 hour ago, Pegleg said:

I was planning to make some revisions and submit a revised version. I can strip out the additional textures and flats if you would prefer, since they are straight out of Jimmytex. I didn't make anything custom, which is why I didn't think of renaming anything.

I'm not gonna force anyone who's already submitted work to do it (the rule came into effect after your map came in and there's no way you could've known), but if you're willing to strip down the resources in your map then I won't stop you.👍

this can be fun 
and hey the deadline is in the end of this year so 
i might drop a small map here 

Edited by big smoke : typo

22 minutes ago, Rycuz said:

Just for sure, is using custom sky allowed?

Custom skies are allowed! Just use a sky transfer instead of replacing the Doom II sky when you're making your map: if you don't know how or you're working in a format that doesn't allow them, then let me know.

Can I be included? The deadline is... next year right? I'd love to participate in my first ever community project without time pressure

On 2/11/2022 at 5:50 AM, Rycuz said:

Can we add an universal black texture?
unknown.png

I can send you one! My map for this is gonna have simplistic textures so i already have a black texture, both for textures and flats