Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Slayer

Any Ideas for Easily Executing a Console Command?

Question

I'm trying to think of a workaround, some creative way of executing a console command since GZDoom doesn't support script-based command execution.

The command in question is "freeze". For testing purposes, I want to freeze time and assign the command to a simple keybind. (keybind and script is set up, but execution isn't supported)

Any easy way of executing console commands without having to open console, type the command and pressing enter?

4 answers to this question

Try binding the command, or a sequence of commands to a key on your keyboard. To do so you have to first execute something like the following in the console:

bind f freeze
bind j "give berserk; summon demon"
alias grunt "mdk; playsound imp/pain"
bind g grunt
alias +frocket "summon rocket; freeze"
alias -frocket "freeze"
bind h +frocket

After doing so, you can just hit the bound key without opening up the console.

Oh, I guess I didn't realize I could bind keys in-game. 

I assume that's not permanent, right?

Still better than nothing. Thank you for your input!

9 hours ago, Slayer said:

I assume that's not permanent, right?

It should be permanent for your copy of GZDoom, as long as it does not have a problem saving to the config file (gzdoom-<username>.ini).

Though if you switch the game from doom to heretic, hexen or strife, etc. You will have to repeat the bind commands, as the different games save their binds separately.

You can do pretty advanced stuff with the console. Back in the days there was a "Skulltag expansion pack" that was just a set of console macros, for things like "clean screenshots" (hiding away all traces of HUD elements like status bar, messages, crosshair, etc. before taking the screenshot, and then restoring the HUD settings) and other stuff that I don't remember because I only used the clean screenshot part.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/CCMDs