Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lutz

Good ZD Skyboxes?

I would like someone to convince me why ZDoom's skybox effect is useful; or, better yet, convince me why it is better than just using the normal F_SKY1 flat. I ask this since I just downloaded the skybox demo level from zdoom.notgod.com, and I don't really see why the skybox is better than just creating a large plain surrounded by a low wall and using the normal sky -- actually, I think the skybox version looks pretty terrible.

I suppose that this might be a bad visual example -- the demo .WAD is just that; a demo -- so I'm wondering if there are any levels out there that use a skybox to add something more. Anyone?

Well, to me skyboxes look a lot better than the normal sky. There must be a reason that 3d games now use skyboxes for a couple years :)
Did you actually try the skybox demo with a proper ZDoom version? ;) j/k

The skybox can be important - I used it in LTSD to put 2 skies (normal and foggy versions) into the same map, and I also used it to "rotate" the 360 degree sky to make it more relative to the places you've been to (the 'refinery' part of the sky appeared when facing north before that map, and appeared when facing south after that map). See E4M5-8 in Licence to Spell DooM.

They don't have to be limited to some mountain textures with a scrolling sky.

You can build structures in them, place items, use lighting effects, scroll things in ways not possible with f_sky1.

I have a map where I created the illusion of being able to look out of a window in a space station and "see" across the void of space into the areas that you have just been. Because of the layout of the map such a view would be impossible to really have in Doom, so the view is a fake using a skybox camera.

And don't forget Gooberman's trick with the moving skybox camera that makes it look like you are actually flying onto a space hangar.

And the other trick (by Tarin?) where you could see the destination of a teleport through the teleport (like Q3 portal teleports).

Well, Enjay, you've convinced me; I guess this is yet another reason to find a way to edit ZDoom levels. Thanks, folks.

Lutz said:

I guess this is yet another reason to find a way to edit ZDoom levels.

Amen to that, and a prayer for the continuing appeal of ZDooM (and other source ports).

We're using Skyboxes in ZooM. So far, the skybox in my level (volcano) is just mountains with a scrolling red sky. It looks okay, but I'm going to replace the sky texture before we're done.

Also, someone did an E1 style course and used a skybox to make the E1 sky that looks -really- nice.

ReX said:

Amen to that, and a prayer for the continuing appeal of ZDooM (and other source ports).

See, this is why we don't have #doomlegacy, or #jdoom, because zdoom is the editor's choice.

Trasher][ said:
See, this is why we don't have #doomlegacy, or #jdoom, because zdoom is the editor's choice.

It's funny because QUASAR is the founder of #zdoom and he hates zdoom.

Here are some tricks I use to get skyboxes to look a little more convincing.

- pov up a 360* hemispheric render and make a skybox ALA Quake2 cut up into flats and 4 256 x 128 textures.

- Swirling flats make spooky clouds.

- Stretched flats look better imo than a million tiled clouds amongst the sky. Hi-res, stretched flats look even better.

- Don't even get me started on line_horizon and it's uses..

- Copy, paste and expand your skybox 'walls' by 2% and render them at 50%, set the y offset at 2-4 and your mountains, buildings, whatnot won't contrast as drastically against the clouds. Don't use this effect if yout clouds remain still, as it will look like you were lazy with Photoshop.

Cyb said:

It's funny because QUASAR is the founder of #zdoom and he hates zdoom.

Keep in mind that it's original founder was kurtis, but he gave it to Quasar (probably in some state of mental confusion :P I still don't get why, heh).

Why skyboxes are better than normal sky textures? Easy ;) They are better because you don't have to use them as a "sky". Think about Unreal Tournament. You can make the skybox a moving hyperspace channel or make your skybox a city surrounding ;) There are a lot of possibilities to use a skybox and demonstrate why it is better than a normal sky texture. Use your imagination and you will prove it to yourself :)

kristus said:

Meh, so what, SoM is adding skyboxes to Eternity.

So, Zdoom already has em' :P