Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xdude_gamer

What are some WADs that deserve a new MIDI Pack?

Doom 2016 :P

Jokes aside, I think DTS-T could use, not a full MIDI pack but something that changes up the Doom2/TNT/Doom Music that wad uses.

Also unpopular opinion: Icarus. I know a lot of people praise the music in that wad but I just can't stand the Icarus Soundtrack. I just really don't like it for some reason. 

6 hours ago, Faceman2000 said:

Mind sharing what tracks you used? I’ve put one together as well but it could use some work in some places and so I’d love to see what you came up with.

Sure, here's the tracklist (spoilered for convenience):

Spoiler

E1M1: Maelstrom - Psyrus

E1M2: Creators - Psyrus

E1M3: Dark Matter - Eris Falling

E1M4: E1M5 - Mr Freeze (DTWiD)

E1M5: E1M3 - Mr Freeze (DTWiD)

E1M6: Godless Industry - AD_79

E1M7: Gutter Penny - Alfonzo

E1M8: No replacement - I never replay this one

E1M9: Prototype - Jimmy & stewboy

E1M0: No replacement - I never replay this one

E2M1: E1M1 - Lippeth (URE2020)

E2M2: Satan - Ribbiks

E2M3: E2M2 - Mr Freeze (DTWiD)

E2M4: Ionian Isolation - Eris Falling

E2M5: Halls of Wandering - Myrgharok (Ultimate MIDI Pack)

E2M6: E2M6 - Mr Freeze (DTWiD)

E2M7: They're Going to Suspend You - TrialD (Ultimate MIDI Pack)

E2M8: No replacement - I never replay this one

E2M9: Cold Subtleness - Jonathan El-Bizri (TNT Evilution)

E3M1: Sent from Hell - Crunchynut44 (Three's A Crowd)

E3M2: Drywall - Gustavo6046 & decino (TNT Midi Pack)

E3M3: End is Nigh - Jamie Robertson (Plutonia 2)

E3M4: URE2020 E1M5 - Lippeth

E3M5: E2M4 - Mr Freeze (DTWiD)

E3M6: No replacement - I like the use of the text screen theme here

E3M7: Quell The Beast - Jimmy

E3M8: No replacement - I never replay this one

E3M9: Myrgharok - On a Sea of Lava (Ultimate MIDI Pack)

E4M1: No replacement - I like the use of 'Sign of Evil' here

E4M2: Broken Mirror - Eris Falling (TNT Midi Pack)

E4M3: Colifornication - Lippeth (Mid The Way id Did)

E4M4: This is my Boomstick - Varis Alpha (Mid The Way id Did)

E4M5: Pluvious - Bucket (Plutonia Midi Pack)

E4M6: No replacement - I really like the use of "They're Going to Get You" here. No other track captures the eerie, surreal vastness of my fav Doom map

E4M7: Necrocosmic Alchemical Device - AD_79 

E4M8: Saviour of Humanity - northivanastan (TNT Midi Pack)

E4M9: Stricken Commission - Bloo (Ultiimate MIDI Pack)

E4M0: No replacement - can't remember why, I really like this map

Intermission: D_INTER - pcorf (2002: A Doom Odyssey)

If Scythe gets a midi pack the Symphony X tracks have to stay, they’re how I found Symphony X and were my entry into more metal stuff in general.

@Omniarch

Thanks! This is mine:

Spoiler

E1M1: Jungle - Primeval (PRCP, not happy with this choice though. . .)

E1M2: E1M2 - Mr Freeze (DTWiD)

E1M3: un20

E1M4: No replacement

E1M5: No replacement

E1M6: E1M1 from Double Impact

E1M7: The Dark City - Varis Alpha (D64D2)

E1M8: E2M8 - Mr Freeze (DTWiD)

E1M9: Cookie Fangs - Cammy (Ultimate MIDI Pack)

E1M0: No replacement

E2M1: Riot Squadron - Jimmy (SIGIL)

E2M2: Besieged City - Jimmy (SIGIL)

E2M3: Good Luck - Bloo

E2M4: Agony Rhapsody

E2M5: DOOM

E2M6: Halls of Wandering - Myrgharok (Ultimate MIDI Pack)

E2M7:  - Jimmy (SIGIL)

E2M8: Sign of Evil

E2M9: Riot Squadron - Jimmy (SIGIL)

E3M1: Opening to Hell

E3M2: Siege Mentality - NeilJohnRips (Ultimate MIDI Pack)

E3M3: In the Dark

E3M4 - Sinister

E3M5: E1M2 from Double Impact

E3M6: E1M8 from Double Impact

E3M7: Ballad of the Demons - Primeval (PRCP)

E3M8: Hate Machine - Jimmy (SIGIL)

E3M9: Bye Bye American Pie

E4M1: Ascension - Varis Alpha (Plutonia MIDI Pack)

E4M2: Broken Mirror - Eris Falling (TNT Midi Pack)

E4M3: Into Sandy’s City

E4M4: Shawn’s Got the Shotgun

E4M5: Dark Halls

E4M6: No replacement

E4M7: No replacement

E4M8: Demons on the Prowl - Primeval (PRCP)

E4M9: un21-f

E4M0: No replacement

Intermission: No replacement

I’ll be sure to try out the tracks you’ve recommended!

On 1/4/2022 at 9:39 AM, Mr. Freeze said:

What bugs me is the idea that a MIDI pack has to be tied to a pre-exiting project and can't stand on its own two feet. 

I genuinely wish there can be another speed-Midi contest like the ones that Jimmy held, or at least a stand-along midi pack.

That'd be killer! I'd love to make MIDIs more consistently but outside of being asked or waiting for a big MIDI pack to be announced it's hard to put myself out there. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

That'd be killer! I'd love to make MIDIs more consistently but outside of being asked or waiting for a big MIDI pack to be announced it's hard to put myself out there. 

You accecpt commisions? Well I really hope I have a descent amount of skill or at least confidence to ask for one.

I'm not good enough for commissioned work lol 

But if there's demand for my MIDIs I'm willing to check it out

definitely kama sutra. some of its maps are in desperate need of new music, like the one with the michael jackson midi...good lord it's so bad...

On 1/8/2022 at 10:41 PM, roadworx said:

definitely kama sutra. some of its maps are in desperate need of new music, like the one with the michael jackson midi...good lord it's so bad...

Ok but don't touch the midi rendition of  "Holier than Thou" at map 28. It's how I discovered one of my favourite metallica's songs

More MIDI packs need to do tracks that are directly inspired by - or perhaps remixes of - the existing songs.

While I think a lot of the music in the "MIDI packs for older wads" we've been hearing recently is awesome, a lot of it strikes me as pretty unfitting for the maps they were (ostensibly) intended for. Conversely, when an author picks a song for a map they've made - even a stock IWAD song - it usually reflects the mood the author wants, and new music can change that drastically.

One way I thought to "force" people into making MIDIs that really match up with what they intend to replace was by taking the drum track or bassline from MIDIs that already exist, and using those as a basis upon which to build a new version of the song, thus guaranteeing the vibe ain't fucked with too much.

Just an idea, and I don't think I have it in me right now - but I'd love to see "respecting the vibe the author was going for" taken into consideration a little more in future MIDI packs, if I had my way. Cammy kinda-sorta-mostly did this with the TNT MIDI pack, and unsurprisingly I feel it does its "job" the best as a result, regardless of what you may think of the songs themselves (personally, I love them).

Just some food for thought..!

17 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

More MIDI packs need to do tracks that are directly inspired by - or perhaps remixes of - the existing songs.

While I think a lot of the music in the "MIDI packs for older wads" we've been hearing recently is awesome, a lot of it strikes me as pretty unfitting for the maps they were (ostensibly) intended for. Conversely, when an author picks a song for a map they've made - even a stock IWAD song - it usually reflects the mood the author wants, and new music can change that drastically.

One way I thought to "force" people into making MIDIs that really match up with what they intend to replace was by taking the drum track or bassline from MIDIs that already exist, and using those as a basis upon which to build a new version of the song, thus guaranteeing the vibe ain't fucked with too much.

Just an idea, and I don't think I have it in me right now - but I'd love to see "respecting the vibe the author was going for" taken into consideration a little more in future MIDI packs, if I had my way. Cammy kinda-sorta-mostly did this with the TNT MIDI pack, and unsurprisingly I feel it does its "job" the best as a result, regardless of what you may think of the songs themselves (personally, I love them).

Just some food for thought..!

This is actually a method I'd try if I get another chance for a MIDI pack. Seems not only fun but also allows for creative freedom without being too restricting.

42 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

See and that is why I was surprised I saw Scythe in this topic so much. Scythe is one of my favorites and I feel Erik Alm's midi choice is a big part of why the wad feels the way it does, tired old Doom 1 and Hexen midis and all. The suggestions of new midis for Hell Revealed 2 is even more bewildering to me. It has one of the best soundtracks of any 2000s megawad. Some maps are so defined on their midi, even if it wasn't written by the author, that it would be a crime to change them. Think of Epic 2 Map01, Crusades E4M3, CC4 Map20, Nova 3 Map24 (King Crimson in Doom is a match made in Heaven[and Earth hehe]), 2002 A Doom Odyssey E2M1 without banjos (love your music @pcorf), CC2 Map18 using TNT music, Scythe Map29 and 30, etc. The music, despite not being "orignal" is a big part of why the maps feel the way they do and why they're remembered so well. So, I figure some wads with a majority of Doom 2 tracks like Jim Flynn's Enigma Episodes or Community Chest. If the author felt a Doom 1, or Rise of the Triad, or Doom 2, or Heretic, or Duke 3D midi was good for the map, it probably was. Can you imagine Scythe 2 or Ancient Aliens or Sunlust with new music? I can't.

I agree with your comments on Cammy and Crew's TNT midi pack, it felt very natural and like a faithful and good replacement. The Eternal Doom replacement seems to be going well too, and I think it sounds so good because of the project leader enforcing leitmotifs / quotations / adaptations of the original songs in the new tracks. So I hope to see some new packs in the vein of these. 

I hope this isn't too negative, I love midi packs, No Rest for the Living, Doom the Way Mid Did and the TNT pack are both wads I play with often and listen to often. Lots of great music by great musicians. I just find the obsession with changing Scythe tracks weird and unnecessary.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Kong said:

I think Aliens TC would be a good candidate too.

Totally. D_E2M1 feels really weird in a level meant to be tense and dread inducing lol

35 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

I hope this isn't too negative, I love midi packs, No Rest for the Living, Doom the Way Mid Did and the TNT pack are both wads I play with often and listen to often. Lots of great music by great musicians. I just find the obsession with changing Scythe tracks weird and unnecessary.

I keep on going back and fort on this idea, on one hand scythe e1 invokes a lot of Knee deep, but on the other hand midi packs aren't trying to replace the experience provided.  A good midi pack creates a similar feel to the original midi while adding something new.  If anything we could get a good set of midis that feel similar to the style of E1.

Ultimately the rest of Scythe also exist, and is the last major classic megawad to not have a midi pack despite being one of the more popular ones.  To expand on this idea further, a midi pack can also change the way that you may experience a level, Even in the Plutonia midi pack there are midis that don't do as well of a job of comparing to the feel of the original midi (Map 11 is the biggest example).  However on second play through I didn't want to hear the bunny music, so I loaded in the midi pack and had a different experience with the map.  I have more of an appreciation of  the midi pack because I first played plutonia without it. 

I think that we could get some great midis from a scythe midi pack.  If a megawad gets a midi pack the worst thing that happens is that more midis are created for the broader space to use, and you would just need to not download it to hear what you may believe to be the definitive soundtrack.  Even if the midis don't stick to the theme 100% it could benefit from having one regardless. 

I said it before but i think Hell Revealed's last 10 maps could really benefit from some custom midis since they only make use of the default Doom 2 tracks for maps 20-30. And it's even more jarring because the rest of the wad makes use of some of the best midis ever.

Nice to see Hell Revealed is a popular choice

I don't like Hell Revealed but I'd love to see what midis we'd get out of the project, especially for Last Look At Eden, City In The Clouds, Resistance Is Futile and Afterlife

If Hell Revealed is going to get a MIDI pack, it should only be for the last 10 maps and it should only be done by Lee Jackson. 

16 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

If Hell Revealed is going to get a MIDI pack, it should only be for the last 10 maps and it should only be done by Lee Jackson. 

I fully agree with the first part but not necessarily the second.

Gotta be consistent. I need that ROTT-style brass band stuff all the way through. 

Maybe the unofficial commercial wads like Hell To Pay or Perdition's Gate?

Also I would personally like to see Hell Revealed get a MIDI pack. Maybe the WAD will be enjoyable then haha ecks dee lololol

following up on what i said about my original MIDI album, i do have an idea to make a MIDI soundtrack for one of my favorite WADs that lacks a custom soundtrack, but i haven't made any real progress on it so far due to contributing to other projects. so it's a very distant future kind of thing before i work on it, but i plan to get it done... eventually.

Since AV got a midi pack, I see no reason why He'll Revealed shouldn't. ROTT soundtrack was a placeholder, besides the final episode still uses Doom 2 tracks. 

As for something less controversial, Fragport would be nice. I know there's a midi pack already, but it just consists of existing rock music.